Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2013, 10:27   #4951
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

There are 3 huge humps being built on Bannerghatta Road in front of Meenakshi Mall. 2 Humps on the lane towards Jayadeva and 1 on side towards Bannerghatta.

Already the situation had become bad since the traffic light were installed in front of Meenakshi Mall. The peak hour traffic blocked still Arekere Gate.

Cannot the authorities see that thousand of commuters are in-convenienced for the sake of few people who go to Mall.

Just can't think what will be situation on Bannerghatta Road once the Mantri Pinnacle, Hiranandani, DLF, Nitesh and Valmark projects gets completed.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 10:32   #4952
BHPian

Today Front Page TOI
A pothole almost claimed designers life

A case should be filed against the BBMP corporator/person responsible in charge of the area and his promotion/pay hike should be withheld

" A pothole almost claimed designers life

Rohith BR TNN

Bangalore: When Arnita Saini,23,left her office in Marathahalli for her Indiranagar residence on her twowheeler last week,little did she know she would land in hospital with multiple fractures.The culprit was a gaping pothole on Old Madras Road.Less than three months into her first job in a new city,Arnita,a designer,got a taste of one of Bangalores ugly monstrosities.
Arnita was riding home via Old Madras Road,a stretch she took daily,at 2.40pm on September 18.She recollects her Honda Activa scooter sinking into a gaping pothole,being thrown on the left,and a bike running over her.In pain and shock,Arnita lost consciousness.When she opened her eyes,she found herself in Manipal Hospital.On Tuesday,Arnita told TOI it would take her at least three months to recover fully.Doctors said there are four fractures in my body,and they are not sure how long I have to be in hospital. She also suffered head injuries.This design graduate from IIT-Guwahati came to Bangalore in July to work in a private company following campus recruitment.
Even as she battles the pain and trauma,Arnita has a word of advice for civic authorities.
While there are potholes and bad roads in other cities too,authorities there are quicker in fixing them whenever media highlights them.We know many roads here are pathetic.Old Madras Road is just an example.I was plain lucky that there was no heavy vehicle following me.Also,imagine the plight of people who dont have insurance cover and cannot afford medical expenses, she says."

Last edited by khan_sultan : 25th September 2013 at 15:45. Reason: Link not working,hence pasted a part of the news
Old 25th September 2013, 11:06   #4953
BHPian

Providing a Link on Bannerghatta Road from Hindu

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle5164868.ece

Regards
Old 25th September 2013, 11:13   #4954
Senior - BHPian

Was there an accident on the ORR below Silk Board flyover? I saw many bikes and cabbies stopped on the left side of the road and glancing down leisurely. Didn't see any updates in Waze about it!

I was in for a pleasant surprise this morning when I saw that the Madiwala market road has been relaid. The half a kilometre stretch from Madiwala police station to Krupanidhi college junction was in shambles. It would keep anyone entertained all along - haphazardly parked vehicles, garbage trucks and mini trucks that drive in whichever direction they choose, two-wheelers that cut anyone off anytime, and the crowd - the potholes ensured that you end up crawling. However today I saw cops who were managing the vehicles and also a good surface that won't damage the suspension or your back.

Last edited by silversteed : 25th September 2013 at 11:16.
Old 25th September 2013, 11:29   #4955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Have a look at this post by BTP on their Facebook page:
An incredible 192 offences! And these vehicle may still be on the roads of the city, commiting more offences!
This was covered in (I think) Bangalore Mirror a few days back. The BTP finds it tough to track these vehicles, as their registration addresses are usually incomplete. Even when they track any, the owner/driver pleads innocence, "I just bought this vehicle second-hand, all these offenses are the previous owner's".

And obviously BTP cannot intercept/seize the vehicle even when they spot it, if it was being driven legally.
Old 25th September 2013, 12:28   #4956
BHPian

Was reading an article in the Deccan Herald today. The roads on, leading to and from Raj Bhavan have been topped up almost within a night. No more pot-holes or craters anywhere near Raj Bhavan. This, only because of the President's visit.
Almost every road in Bangalore is a nightmare. BBMP can as well spend a few more nights sprucing and topping up other roads. Of-course, that cannot be done! They would need to get more money from us to make pathetic roads which will break-up within the next 3 or 4 months. The cycle continues.
Its become demanding, stressful and depressing to even think of driving on Bangalore roads.
Old 25th September 2013, 18:51   #4957
Senior - BHPian

Found in BTP FB:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-photo.jpg

Last edited by msdivy : 25th September 2013 at 18:54.
Old 25th September 2013, 19:39   #4958
BHPian

Hennur main road is in pathetic condition. There are so many potholes and large speedbreakers. The situation worsens during monsoons. Couple of weeks back when it was raining, the stretch near the railway under-bridge was waterlogged and the water level was knee-deep. It is in situations like these that makes me feel to go for an SUV as my next upgrade. One cannot expect any improvement on Bangalore roads. The situation worsens every day.
Old 25th September 2013, 20:22   #4959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I was in for a pleasant surprise this morning when I saw that the Madiwala market road has been relaid.
Likewise when I saw the terrible stretch near the Shantinagar bus station relaid almost overnight. The road in front of Garuda mall that was in a terrible shape slowing down traffic from Mayo hall too is almost fixed up now.

Nice to this progress on the roads.
Old 25th September 2013, 20:25   #4960
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
Hennur main road is in pathetic condition. There are so many potholes and large speedbreakers. The situation worsens during monsoons. Couple of weeks back when it was raining, the stretch near the railway under-bridge was waterlogged and the water level was knee-deep. It is in situations like these that makes me feel to go for an SUV as my next upgrade. One cannot expect any improvement on Bangalore roads. The situation worsens every day.
Does this mean its no more a good option to go to Airport as an alternative to NH7 ? Any recent updates on this ?
Old 25th September 2013, 21:11   #4961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Does this mean its no more a good option to go to Airport as an alternative to NH7 ? Any recent updates on this ?
Though its bad in patches its still a decent alternative, atleast in terms of road space one gets. You can use this mainly to getaway from the Kodigehalli bottleneck during peak hours.
Hennur road is pothole ridden from ring road till Hennur Bande exit and again at Kannur, the road from Kannur to Kogilu cross(NH7) was in pathetic condition at Kogilu prior to rains and no idea about it after the rains. But one can take the Reva College road and join NH7 at Bagalur Cross. In short, this route will take more time in nonpeak hours.
Old 25th September 2013, 21:13   #4962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You have the option to take the Thanisandra road from Nagawara and reach the Airport road all the way after Kogilu Cross beyond Yelahanka. I have taken this many times when I was hunting for properties around this area.

As soon as you reach the end of Thanisandra road, you have a well marked Blue signage indicating you to take a left to reach BIAL.

Of course, the biggest waiting time on this stretch would be Nagawara Signal alone but considering that the Kodigehalli Signal on NH7 after Esteem malls is packed at peak times, Thanisandra route is a viable alternative.

Last edited by paragsachania : 25th September 2013 at 21:19.
Old 25th September 2013, 23:46   #4963
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Already the situation had become bad since the traffic light were installed in front of Meenakshi Mall. The peak hour traffic blocked still Arekere Gate.

Cannot the authorities see that thousand of commuters are in-convenienced for the sake of few people who go to Mall.

Just can't think what will be situation on Bannerghatta Road once the Mantri Pinnacle, Hiranandani, DLF, Nitesh and Valmark projects gets completed.

Regards
You are spot on. This signal is helpful only during the weekends and that too during the peak hours when the there is a rush at Meenakshi mall. Else the vehicle traffic on this road(the inner road which joins the BG Road) doesn't justify a signal. Since this signal, the very busy BG road traffic is put on hold for 90 seconds to allow couple of vehicles to cross the road from the Meenakshi Mall side(during week days). and, not many people respect this signal as it doesn't make sense for many to wait for 90 seconds when no one is using the road. I've seen many 2-wheelers and BMTC buses jumping this signal and those who wait patiently for the 90 secs get honked at and are made to look like fools.

The same BTP team believes that a signal is not required at similar T-Junctions in Gottigere, the one near IIMB and the one opp to Bata showroom-Hulimavu where the traffic flow is more from the inner road joining the junction. I wonder who are the brains at BTP who decide the placement of traffic signals.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 00:30   #4964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifdeep View Post
But one can take the Reva College road and join NH7 at Bagalur Cross.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You have the option to take the Thanisandra road from Nagawara and reach the Airport road all the way after Kogilu Cross beyond Yelahanka.
The route mentioned by Swifdeep is the one taken by all cab companies when going to BIAL from my home in Marathahalli. In short, it goes:

ORR > Hennur Jn > Hennur-Bagalur Road > left turn at Kannur > skip the underpass and turn right at Bellahalli > Thanisandra Main Road > left at T junction a little distance beyond Reva Institute of Technology > Bagalur Main Road > Bagalur Cross > right turn to NH 7.

I find this road less crowded, but very punishing on my Civic (so I don't take it when I'm self-driving). Plus, I assume it is a bit unsafe at late hours.
Old 26th September 2013, 01:29   #4965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
You are spot on. This signal is helpful only during the weekends and that too during the peak hours when the there is a rush at Meenakshi mall. Else the vehicle traffic on this road(the inner road which joins the BG Road) doesn't justify a signal. Since this signal, the very busy BG road traffic is put on hold for 90 seconds to allow couple of vehicles to cross the road from the Meenakshi Mall side(during week days). and, not many people respect this signal as it doesn't make sense for many to wait for 90 seconds when no one is using the road. I've seen many 2-wheelers and BMTC buses jumping this signal and those who wait patiently for the 90 secs get honked at and are made to look like fools.

The same BTP team believes that a signal is not required at similar T-Junctions in Gottigere, the one near IIMB and the one opp to Bata showroom-Hulimavu where the traffic flow is more from the inner road joining the junction. I wonder who are the brains at BTP who decide the placement of traffic signals.
Nice to know that I am not the only one ranting at this new signal and to top it off, the new humps that have grown there.

I feel that Loyola is in desperate need of a signal, as it is a mess in the mornings and evenings.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks