Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2014, 19:23   #5656
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Could not believe what I saw today on Hebbal flyover some time ago!
I was on the new up ramp and had just passed the left exit towards Tumkur road side when I see an Autorickshaw coming in the opposite direction in the single lane ramp .
For a moment I thought I was dreaming but then stopped right in front of him and asked him where he is heading to. His passengers- two middle aged ladies started pleading to let them go ahead. The driver had a blank expression and was signalling me to go ahead. Showered few choicest words on him and gave him space. Mind you, there was just enough space for two of us to pass and If a bus/mini bus was coming up behind me, they would have been stuck! As I moved ahead, I saw him (in my IRVM) take a right towards Tumkur road exit.
So presumably, he would have entered the old loop and after having realized he cannot exit towards tumkur road side from that ramp, would have gone till the end and taken a left U turn to come back (in the opposite direction) on the new ramp.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 5th March 2014 at 19:24.
Old 6th March 2014, 08:32   #5657
Senior - BHPian

Just yesterday I ranted about the signal in front of Samsung office/ Soul Space Arena mall, and today I almost rammed into a two-wheeler.

When the signal on my side (going towards KR Puram) turned red, a few buses in front of me broke the signal and took U-turns, so I was the first one in front of the signal. After a while, the signal turned green. I happily accelerated without looking on both sides. I noticed a middle aged man and his wife riding on an auto-scooter at the last moment. I just managed to brake in time to save them.

The couple was going from Samsung side to Soul Space Arena side. They had broken the stop light. Needless to say, both were not wearing any helmet. And that man gave me a stare as if it was my fault!

So, it is not enough if you look on both sides before you cross the road on foot. You must look on both sides before you cross the road in your car too!
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 10:32   #5658
BHPian

Today I was coming down at a snail's pace down the Marathahalli over bridge going towards Kundhalahalli. There was a Ritz in front of me and I stopped when the traffic had come to a standstill. There was a biker on a FZ next to me. As the traffic moved he wanted to cut across my car and go to the right.
I just moved a bit in front and and braked to let him know that I do not appreciate it. He has the audacity to stare at me all the way till he passed in front of my car.
Old 6th March 2014, 10:40   #5659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Today I was coming down at a snail's pace down the Marathahalli over bridge going towards Kundhalahalli. There was a Ritz in front of me and I stopped when the traffic had come to a standstill. There was a biker on a FZ next to me. As the traffic moved he wanted to cut across my car and go to the right.
I just moved a bit in front and and braked to let him know that I do not appreciate it. He has the audacity to stare at me all the way till he passed in front of my car.
Most of us while studying mechanical engineering would have studied the subject on dimension tolerances as to how much tolerance needs to be assigned depending on the machining operation.

I suppose we need to follow the same for our office routine schedule. Maintain close gaps between vehicles so as to prevent these 2 wheeler morons from squeezing in. Worst part being they stare at us as if we are denying permission to them to go. ENNA LOOK!!!!!!!!
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 15:49   #5660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Just yesterday I ranted about the signal in front of Samsung office/ Soul Space Arena mall, and today I almost rammed into a two-wheeler.

The couple was going from Samsung side to Soul Space Arena side. They had broken the stop light. Needless to say, both were not wearing any helmet. And that man gave me a stare as if it was my fault!

I think it was clearly the 2 wheeler's fault in this case, but for vehicles that are coming in from the service road on Samsung side, and taking a left turn towards Marathahalli... the traffic police usually ask them to join the road as if there is no traffic signal there. Meaning no matter which light is red, they allow a left turn from the service road. This is also quite dangerous, because at times the light on the Soul-space side is green and cars are joining the same road from the other side. Long-story-short... be extra careful at this junction, even if the light is green for you. Dont zoom, but slowly increase your speed.
Old 6th March 2014, 16:12   #5661
Distinguished - BHPian

Interceptor Alert: Wondering if this is shared earlier but I saw one parked towards Silkboard soon after you descend from the BETL flyover.
Its a tricky situation here you can be easily spotted exceeding the 60kmph limit getting down the flyover ramp.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 00:08   #5662
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me or anyone else has faced road rage with cabbies in the late night ?
I have been doing night shift for this week. I leave for work at around 10:30PM.

On my way, I see 85% of the traffic as Indicabs and Sumos, not to mention HTV.

What is worse while driving with them is, if you overtake one of them, the "Ego" jumps in. Soon, I see that the cab has started driving dangerously and tries to overtake me super dangerously, and then cools down once he has overtaken me !!

Adding to this, the Graphite India - Vyedhi Junction stretch is totally dark ! No concept of street lights at all !! I know there hasn't been any untoward incident here, but isn't is mandatory for an industrial area to be well lighted ?
Old 7th March 2014, 00:32   #5663
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Is it just me or anyone else has faced road rage with cabbies in the late night ?
I have been doing night shift for this week. I leave for work at around 10:30PM.

What is worse while driving with them is, if you overtake one of them, the "Ego" jumps in. Soon, I see that the cab has started driving dangerously and tries to overtake me super dangerously, and then cools down once he has overtaken me !!

Adding to this, the Graphite India - Vyedhi Junction stretch is totally dark ! No concept of street lights at all !! I know there hasn't been any untoward incident here, but isn't is mandatory for an industrial area to be well lighted ?
Fellow sufferer here.

The worst ones are the Tata Winger office cabs on late night employee drop runs. These guys race with each other, tailgate and cut lanes with reckless abandon at speed. I once made the mistake of honking at one that missed me barely by inches on the Bellandur flyover, him and his buddies hounded me until BTM Lake Road turn-off, where I just stopped for a few mins to let these morons pass and put some distance between us.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th March 2014 at 00:35.
Old 7th March 2014, 00:52   #5664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This was the case few years back. Now I see only few cabbies driving like maniacs and not letting anyone overtake them and most of them are Infant travels cabs or IBM cabs.

Otherwise most of them drive decently and let others overtake them without a hassle. Atleast in my case when I drive to work and return around 3 am, I over take them and keep a good distance after that , so there is no way they can catch up. And my average speed at these times are a bit higher than normal, so that helps.

The one thing I hate the most about them is the thick black smoke which 50% of cabbies generate. I make sure I overtake them whatever it is since I am on a bike most of the times.

If you feel the cabbie is going to try something stupid, just pull over or slow down on the left lane and let them clear out. It is the best move by far.
Old 7th March 2014, 02:40   #5665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Fellow sufferer here.
You drive through BTM Lake road ? We could meet up sometime, I stay on BTM Lake road, near CCD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
This was the case few years back. Now I see only few cabbies driving like maniacs and not letting anyone overtake them and most of them are Infant travels cabs or IBM cabs.
With empty roads at night, these cabbies are ruthless.
I can say a few of them are decent, may be because they are returning after drops. Few of them on mobiles, talking to their loved ones. But decent.

However, the majority are still maniacs. The problem I feel is that the roads are empty and they feel that their cars can pump up more BHP at that time, which is just a myth. All these diesel cabs are ill-maintained and majorly don't do much power, but the urge to be the lead car on the road causes road rage.

The most sensible solution like you said, is to slow down and let them go to hell.

A simple scene - An Indicab overtaking a trailer on a ramp, obviously with less power and no turbo, is slow. I honk and try to overtake, at times from left side (mine is a Petrol car). I don't want to loose momentum and just pass them from left. But their ego starts boiling, and as soon they are on the down ramp, they speed up to the core and dangerously overtake me, cut into my lane and start driving decently. I fail to understand this mentality. Why can't they drive decently in their own lane, why cut into my lane and block me ?

And the less we speak about Infant Cabs, Sam Tours & Travels (Cabs and Buses) and Green Earth stickered Tempo Travellers, the better.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 11:57   #5666
BHPian

My welcome back to Bangalore has included 2 minor accidents on two days consecutively this week. My right rear fender is scratched by a tempo when the stupid guy came too close trying to overtake me. And then got hit by an auto from the back when I had to stop suddenly; when an idiot biker took and steep right cut on a fairly busy road.

Unfortunately the second incident happened when I was on my way to the Body Shop in order to get the car repaired for the first accident and there is no way the insurance company will pay for that. Now I have a minor dent on my boot and have to live with it
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-14030026.jpg  

Old 7th March 2014, 12:29   #5667
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You drive through BTM Lake road ? We could meet up sometime, I stay on BTM Lake road, near CCD.
I actually try to avoid passing through BTM like the plague, unless it's late at night.. Rush hour BTM traffic is beyond human endurance.

That shouldn't get in the way of a quick meet sometime though. We can sync up over PM

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th March 2014 at 12:30.
Old 7th March 2014, 14:01   #5668
Distinguished - BHPian

Witnessed a very crazy scene yesterday morning. Was waiting at the graphite India signal to turn right towards Hoodi. That road was blocked for quiet a long time due to traffic coming the wrong way (shell petrol pump side) and also the truck & cab traffic from small road trying to join the main road

After the signal turns green, I take the right and then again stop at the intersection between the signal and shell petrol pump. A pete's tuned white i20 stops in front of me and all hell breaks loose. This traffic cop marches up to the driver of the i20, starts kicking the driver side door he then opens the door and kicks the driver, who is at max 20-21 years old! And everyone else is looking at this. No clue why this happened!!!
Overtook the i20 and saw that the driver side door had deep gashes and was badly dented.

Question: what do you do in such cases? even if you have evidence, witnesses to support your story about a cop misbehaving, I seriously doubt that the police will take it seriously!
Old 7th March 2014, 14:10   #5669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Question: what do you do in such cases? even if you have evidence, witnesses to support your story about a cop misbehaving, I seriously doubt that the police will take it seriously!
There is a lot you can do in such situations. Don't react to cop with any sort of violence - easier said than done. Beating/ abuse and punching back does not help. All you need is some solid evidence in terms of audio/ video recording and so on. Just bear the scene as it won't last long. And as soon as it is all over, see the nearest police station to file the complaint against errant cop. You can also do this online in Karnataka - you get a FIR number to confirm and follow up. And secure your evidence to be presented at right time of course.

Now coming the the incidence that happened yesterday - I am not sure what the story is behind for that scene. I would only imagine the driver must have provoked the cop badly before a few moments? Or cop has lost his mind? Or, was he a cop's relative that woke up the elderly authority in that cop
Old 7th March 2014, 14:52   #5670
BHPian

All these rants have made me think - where does Bengaluru rank in comparison to Delhi in terms of private vehicle density? Surely it must be a neck-neck race!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks