Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2014, 08:53   #7246
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Indeed an excellent move and I hope this is executed soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Popularly known as magic boxes, these construc tions came up in 2008 when S Subramanya was BBMP chief, to facilitate a signal-free ride to BIA.
If you were to ask me, these so called magic boxes supposedly were built to be a boon to motorists which in no time turned out to be a complete disaster.
In my words, I usually refer to them as BLUNDER BOXES. I wonder if the engineers even applied some rationale before embarking on such a project.
Old 27th November 2014, 09:26   #7247
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
If you were to ask me, these so called magic boxes supposedly were built to be a boon to motorists which in no time turned out to be a complete disaster.
In my words, I usually refer to them as BLUNDER BOXES. I wonder if the engineers even applied some rationale before embarking on such a project.
Like the "refresh cycles" in the IT industry, agencies like BDA, BBMP etc also do it so what was magic back in 2008 is not "safe" anymore and they now take the stance that the life for these structures is 8-10 years and needs to be refreshed - more work, more money, everyone's happy (except motorists and the mango man)
Old 27th November 2014, 09:56   #7248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Indeed an excellent move and I hope this is executed soon.

To call them engineers is a joke. Seriously, they need to outsource traffic and town planning to some global company. Not sure why the mess of today in everything. Too much private participation, greed and conflict of interest.

In addition too much influence of some people in everything related to real estate who live on the eastern side of the city :(
Old 27th November 2014, 09:57   #7249
BHPian

One for the bad day start!
This is Bangalore, 0715 hrs:
I was driving on Mysore Road before the Shell Petrol bunk on my left.
This Indica guy (with White board KA-10 reg.) is piercing through in all the lanes, gradually he disturbed my discipline and left. I kept my cool and didn't react for a second.
I couldn't see this guy messing around with everyone's morning drive.
Followed him till he managed to leave me behind and get lost on the Mysore Road flyover.
But he had no way to go... The traffic was slowed down due to a Heavy Vehicle crawling on the left lane, and this moron was behind it. I did a very simple thing here, just went next to him and didn't let him come out of the left lane for sometime until a bus and other good traffic followed me from behind.
Made sure there was a good amount of traffic behind me to keep him punished and pinned behind the heavy vehicle at 30kmph speed for sometime and sped away from there.

I didn't wanna get into this situation, but because of this moron, there were others who had started to lose their cool and wanted to defeat him bad, because of which the traffic was going haywire.
vishnu-man is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 10:02   #7250
Senior - BHPian

Seems like unauthorised parking of trucks in Anepalaya, Mico factory side would cause traffic problems now. City Police had plans to ensure that no trucks land up and park in the city during morning hours. Looks like it is yet to happen on the ground :( .
Old 27th November 2014, 12:33   #7251
Distinguished - BHPian

This morning at 9:15, I saw two 3-car accidents within a few hundred meters of one another, on the ORR between Sultanpalya and the Hebbal flyover.

The first one looked to involve a sedan taxi, a TT and another car. The sedan had been rear ended and had its boot squished up. All 3 were white vehicles, presumably yellow-boards.

The second one involved a red Swift, a navy/gray Ritz and a truck (I think a 407). Swift appears to have braked hard, Ritz stopped safely, and then the truck rear-ended the Ritz causing bad damage. The Ritz seems to have been propelled into the Swift causing rear bumper damage, although that damage didn't seem much.

I have to feel for the Ritz owner though - the damage is quite bad (rear windshield broken, hatch badly banged up, and I suspect the hatch frame also is bent - from what little I know, repairs don't bring this damage back to 100% as there'll always be rattles/squeaks.

None of the accidents looked to involve any injuries, fortunately.
Old 27th November 2014, 22:03   #7252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Change your timings to around 1 hour in advance and you should be ok.
The specific points to worry about are;
1. Silk Board
2. ORR/Sarjapur Ring road near Iblur
3. Main ORR near Eco Space
Leave earlier than you are suggesting and you should be ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I work in Prestige Tech Park, and commute from Banashankari 2nd Stage.

Is public transport an option? Can you park your bike/car in Banashankari bus stand and get into one of the Volvo buses? There is one every 10-15 minutes.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more specific information.
Hi Shankar / KiloAlpha, Thank you so much for your inputs. That helps. I will have to try alternate routes avoiding silkboard in particular. Other two bottlenecks seem to have no option.

The public transport from Banashankari bus stand seem to be a very good option. If the transport frequency is 10~15 minutes, it is worth a try. Thanks for bringing this up.
Old 28th November 2014, 00:19   #7253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
This morning at 9:15, I saw two 3-car accidents within a few hundred meters of one another, on the ORR between Sultanpalya and the Hebbal flyover.
Damn. One more incident from the death trap. Thankfully it wasn't a motorcyclist who got rear ended by a truck. The situation would have been far worse if that was the case.
When will people learn to maintain proper distance between each other? Just one day ago, I saw a rear ending incident between two cars near Banasawadi.
In a way, it's better if the roads in the city are congested. If the roads become wide and signal free(like the northern section of ORR), these idiots(mainly yellow boards) start thinking that the road is a national highway and start driving like maniacs. Due to the vast number of idiots on the road, I'd say, as of now, we don't deserve roads like these inside the city. If the speed is less, the impact from the collisions will also be less.
Today, while coming back from office, I encountered two maniacs(in separate incidents), who used the gap between me and another car next to me to overtake. I was doing 40-45 in the left lane. In both the cases, the cars next to me were doing 50-55 in the center lane. The idiots who overtook were easily above 65. One was a whiteboard beater M800. The other one was as expected, an Indicab. These shameless idiots are even proud of their driving and consider themselves to be skilled drivers.
Unfortunately, due to the lack of a practical alternate road, I'm forced to take this deathway.

On Topic: Huge traffic pileup has started in front of Manyata Tech Park around 6-7 PM in Hebbal's direction due to parking of Auto Rickshaws, TTs, cabbies etc on the left lane and due to the pedestrian crossing. The Auto drivers have made the left lane, an 'Auto Stand' when there is a free service road right next to the main road. The jokers in BTP let the yellow boarders be as careless as possible and keep on harassing the common people for silly reasons to meet their ticket/bribe quota.

Last edited by theredliner : 28th November 2014 at 00:29.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 09:11   #7254
Senior - BHPian

Just couldn't stop from sharing

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_132281615439266.jpeg

Source: FB
Looking at the yellow autos, this may be Mumbai or Chennai. But the image goes out to the general road conditions in India.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 28th November 2014 at 09:21.
Old 28th November 2014, 10:02   #7255
BHPian

So Graphite is back to it's sad old state today. Took me 1.5 hrs from HSR. Started at 8 AM.
Old 28th November 2014, 10:43   #7256
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
So Graphite is back to it's sad old state today. Took me 1.5 hrs from HSR. Started at 8 AM.
Any further change in the whitefield traffic plan ? How was it on other days this week ?
One thing I see during my morning commute is that Hoodi junction is not bad, quite fast moving (I turn left coming from Devasandra side).
Old 28th November 2014, 11:23   #7257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Looking at the yellow autos, this may be Mumbai or Chennai. But the image goes out to the general road conditions in India.
In MH, KA and KL, the autos are black in color while in TN and AP they are yellow in color. This is for petrol only driven autos. For CNG , i think the colour is green.
Old 28th November 2014, 11:59   #7258
BANNED

Interceptor Alert:
About 35 minutes back, on my way to work saw the interceptor just after the banaswadi underpass towards hebbal. I did not see anyone being stopped, so may be they were just setting shop there. The speed limit for that section for cars is 60kmpl and bikes are 50kmpl if I remember correctly.
ILTDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 13:38   #7259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
Interceptor Alert:
About 35 minutes back, on my way to work saw the interceptor just after the banaswadi underpass towards hebbal. I did not see anyone being stopped, so may be they were just setting shop there. The speed limit for that section for cars is 60kmpl and bikes are 50kmpl if I remember correctly.
I think you mean to say 60 KMPH for cars and 50 KMPH for bikes. Speed limit numbers are correct only units need correction.

Thanks
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 13:41   #7260
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
I think you mean to say 60 KMPH for cars and 50 KMPH for bikes. Speed limit numbers are correct only units need correction.

Thanks
I guess I have been spending too much time on the fuel prices thread, Thanks for pointing this out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks