Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2015, 12:04   #9571
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Thanks to the crystal-clear directions from Itwasntme, Kiloalpha and Audioholic, I could easily navigate to my destination last Friday, though it was around 1030 pm. The clue regarding the railway bridge running across the elevated road really helped me taking the correct service road towards the Jakuru road. My host was waiting there to guide me to his home.

Navigating to Whitefield was also pretty easy. After checking some places around Hope Farm area, we decided not to even think of living beyond that junction. Even on a Saturday, it took us 10 minutes to cross that junction, and this happened twice.

I was even awestruck by the fact that it took me an hour to drive 11 kms from Dell to Leela Palace area via Kundalahalli and Marathahalli. I've never seen such slow-moving traffic , and that too, on a weekend! We come across such traffic in Hyderabad only during heavy rains or during festivals. Bangy guys need an award for patience!
vnabhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 12:10   #9572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Yesterday I sent here a map link to follow and approach Jakkur from the back gate and then reach Kodigehalli Jn via Airport road and that was much faster.
Via Rachenahalli road-Srirampura village-Telecom layout? That road was horrible some time ago.
Could you share the route link?
Old 21st October 2015, 12:18   #9573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I was even awestruck by the fact that it took me an hour to drive 11 kms from Dell to Leela Palace area via Kundalahalli and Marathahalli. I've never seen such slow-moving traffic , and that too, on a weekend! We come across such traffic in Hyderabad only during heavy rains or during festivals. Bangy guys need an award for patience!
11km in one hour is now "normal" for us in Bangalore, we have stopped complaining about it! The only way to get from point A to point B faster in this fair city is to get onto a bike/scooter and ride kamikaze style.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 12:31   #9574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
11km in one hour is now "normal" for us in Bangalore, we have stopped complaining about it! The only way to get from point A to point B faster in this fair city is to get onto a bike/scooter and ride kamikaze style.
That's sad to know! But the only positive development I could spot was the elevated road from the airport area till Hebbal. This sure reduces driving time in that area. To cite my experience, I left Leela Palace area at 7 am towards Hyderabad via Indira Nagar and the ORR. It took me only 30 minutes to cover 18 kms to Hebbal, and in another 20 minutes I was at the fork that leads to the airport!
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 12:46   #9575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
I visited Bangalore city two weeks ago. First time being there. It was a Sunday. I noticed a couple of aspects.

2. People seem to drive in lanes vs. NCR driving.
This is probably because there are no lane markings on most of the roads!
How can one cut across lanes when there are no lanes in the first place?
If at all our esteemed, super efficient civic authority decides to make lane markings, they use special eco friendly, bio degradable paints for the purpose which automatically vanish after a week!

Actually, there are lane markings available in very few places on the ORR which if followed will make sure that you end up crashing into the median of one of the well engineered flyovers on this road that suddenly spring up on you when you are on the fast lane!
SR71-Blackbird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 13:17   #9576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
With the advent of more Tech parks and 4 wheelers, this average driving time will reduce further especially on routes like ORR. I wonder what the situation will be like when metro work commences on the ITPL phase.
Old 21st October 2015, 15:35   #9577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Via Rachenahalli road-Srirampura village-Telecom layout? That road was horrible some time ago.
Could you share the route link?
This is the route she took yesterday and reported part of it was bad but still any day better to taking 90 minutes against 35-40 minutes through this.

And yes, thats via Rachenahalli road.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 16:22   #9578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Loved the weather, though. Fabulous.
You should have first visited Bangalore around 10-15 years back, you would have probably shifted residence back then.
Not just the weather, congestion was less and weekends especially Sunday's were bliss to drive or ride.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 16:30   #9579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks to the crystal-clear directions from Itwasntme, Kiloalpha and Audioholic,
No problem! The stretch from EPIP to Domlur will be the worst when it comes to the probablity of getting stuck in a jam. I have sworn never to drive that side until they widen the whole stretch from Marathahalli bridge to near ISRO. There is an alternative route which bypasses Marathahalli bridge and joins old airport road next to ISRO. But not sure how good an idea taking this road is. Maybe if someone has tried it they can let us know.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 17:01   #9580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
There is an alternative route which bypasses Marathahalli bridge and joins old airport road next to ISRO. But not sure how good an idea taking this road is. Maybe if someone has tried it they can let us know.
That would be the infamous Alpine Eco Road. Many are the souls who have taken this road to early nirvana. Though once you join ORR your next trouble spot is only at Murugeshpalya.

Last few times I have been taking a road through AECS Layout that joins a few hundred metres shy of Chinnappanahalli railway gate (from Marathahalli side). The road is terrible, but it is not very well known so traffic is sparse. In addition the locals don't allow yellow-board vehicles to use this road as a throughfare. You also have the option of joining Varthur Road if the railway gate is closed (just turn towards Marathahalli/Munnekolala).
Old 21st October 2015, 17:04   #9581
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
You should have first visited Bangalore around 10-15 years back, you would have probably shifted residence back then.
Hmmm good to know you think it was great 10-15 years ago. Imagine how it would have been 30 or more years ago ? That's a first hand feeling I have about that era and I'm sure many more of us who've lived in Bangalore all their lives would feel like that as well. Heavenly, with great weather, fewer vehicles, fewer buildings, more parks and playgrounds, very good quality roads as well and where are we now ?
Just became too nostalgic reminiscing the good times few years ago
Oh and we played cricket across the street, on CMH Road

Last edited by NPV : 21st October 2015 at 17:07.
NPV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 06:49   #9582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Not just the weather, congestion was less and weekends especially Sunday's were bliss to drive or ride.
Yep, In those good old days, one could cross the road blindfolded even though he/she were to be standing on the wrong side of the road.
But now even if you are standing correctly on the road, there is every possibility of being hit by an incoming vehicle, leave alone crossing the road safely.

Folks
Last night (21.10.2015) was a torturous one to commute on a 2 wheeler. I had to go to Koramangala to the famous dosa shop. I left my home in bommanahalli by 8:30 PM and had to endure the worst traffic all the way from the start of silk board flyover till my destination.
I reached the dosa shop by 9:45 PM

Last edited by ampere : 22nd October 2015 at 11:15. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 22nd October 2015, 07:26   #9583
Distinguished - BHPian

Heavy smog/fog around whitefield. I cant even see half of Prestige Shantiniketan from my office desk. Quite surprising since I havent seen this kind of a situation even in our areas from a long time.
Old 22nd October 2015, 08:49   #9584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Hmmm good to know you think it was great 10-15 years ago. Imagine how it would have been 30 or more years ago ? That's a first hand feeling I have about that era and I'm sure many more of us who've lived in Bangalore all their lives would feel like that as well. Heavenly, with great weather, fewer vehicles, fewer buildings, more parks and playgrounds, very good quality roads as well and where are we now ?
Just became too nostalgic reminiscing the good times few years ago
Oh and we played cricket across the street, on CMH Road
30 years ago would be a different era altogether.
10-15 years ago was the beginning of the sudden growth, but still wasn't bad.

I don't remember the 80s much, but I remember the 90s and I recollect the main stretch of MG road in the mornings. It was the only stretch my dad used to speed up on since we could see the other end clearly.
I guess, few were lucky enough to experience those times which will never come back, except if there is a bandh.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 09:31   #9585
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks
Last night (21.10.2015) was a torturous one to commute on a 2 wheeler. I had to go to Koramangala to the famous dosa shop. I left my home in bommanahalli by 8:30 PM and had to endure the worst traffic all the way from the start of silk board flyover till my destination.
I reached the dosa shop by 9:45 PM
OT: Which is the famous dosa shop? What's the name and location?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks