Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2021, 17:18   #19111
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Yesterday I drove on Surajandas Rd (connecting HAL Old Airport Rd to OMR), and was shocked to see very big, ungainly-designed axle-breaker kind speedbreakers being built in front of some defence establishment (I forget which). It's a surefire recipe for disaster! If they had to build a speedbreaker, they could have simply built the *hump* kinds......
So I visited ADE for official reasons today and I have an update on this.

Apparently an ADE employee lost his/her leg in an accident at this spot sometime back. Hence, the reaction to construct speed breaker near entrance to ADE (on both carriageways).

Also, it seems some common sense prevailed. They have cordoned off this section of the road again today to reduce the size of the hump. Now, I see the size and shape are reasonable but can still catch people by surprise if they don't put up warning boards in advance.

Also, there used to be a spot after ADE (in the direction towards Old Madras road) where the lane close to divider had a nasty pothole which I was always nervous about. They have now filled it up with concrete, though shoddily.

Hope this helps.
srvm is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 18:04   #19112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Apparently an ADE employee lost his/her leg in an accident at this spot sometime back. Hence, the reaction to construct speed breaker near entrance to ADE (on both carriageways).
Very unfortunate, sad to hear that. Completely understandable why they would want speed breakers there then. Glad to hear they are reducing the height of the speed bump, but really wish BBMP would co-ordinate better on these things and do the job themselves instead of leaving it up to other entities.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 18:34   #19113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Very unfortunate, sad to hear that. Completely understandable why they would want speed breakers there then. Glad to hear they are reducing the height of the speed bump, but really wish BBMP would co-ordinate better on these things and do the job themselves instead of leaving it up to other entities.
BBMP? Better coordination? Fat chance of that.
I believe you are from this part of the city. So I'm sure you have seen what is the present status of the newly relaid Jeevanbima Nagar Main Road. So many potholes within a year of relaying the tarmac . Vehicles have to zig-zag to avoid numerous potholes between Bimanagar bus stop and TVS service center.
srvm is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 18:41   #19114
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm surprised they didn't do this earlier (few years ago actually!). A family acquaintance lost his life just near one of the ADE gates, he was knocked off his scooter by a speeding vehicle. This stretch of Suranjan Das Road between both the entry/exit gates (along the BEML railway track) for C V Raman Nagar is where many vehicles speed.

Last edited by NPV : 29th September 2021 at 18:44.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 18:57   #19115
BHPian

I can perfectly understand their reasoning behind the decision. I have witnessed a couple of minor bike accidents right in front of the gate. If all of us ride/drive as per the road conditions and circumstances around why would we ever need road humps, cat eyes, rumble strips etc?. These kind of forced reductions in speed might work 99% of the time. But the other 1% of the time can be disastrous .

By the way, I am also guilty of speeding on this stretch many a time .
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 21:25   #19116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This stretch of Suranjan Das Road between both the entry/exit gates (along the BEML railway track) for C V Raman Nagar is where many vehicles speed.
That is also a stretch that is relatively unlit and doesn't have any commercial or residential activity. In fact, the majority of Suranjan Das Road is like that and probably the reason for higher speeds. I feel the road needs a median and more lighting.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 23:22   #19117
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I feel the road needs a median and more lighting.
The road does have a median now that has come up in parts over the last few years. And just last week the BEML to CV Raman Nagar stretch got new LED street lights inaugurated by the local MLA.

In fact this is thanks in part to the PM's visit to ISRO and DRDO during early 2020, that's when the local authorities got started on installing the median along with a temporary setup for street lights (that went away after the PM visit though).

Last edited by NPV : 29th September 2021 at 23:24.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 11:19   #19118
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, it seems some common sense prevailed. They have cordoned off this section of the road again today to reduce the size of the hump. Now, I see the size and shape are reasonable but can still catch people by surprise if they don't put up warning boards in advance.
I don't know if this was done when you saw the place and posted your message.

A friend shared these pictures today, looks much more reasonable and not as unscientific as they were initially.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20211001_111406.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20211001_111345.jpg
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 05:54   #19119
BHPian

Quote:

A friend shared these pictures today, looks much more reasonable and not as unscientific as they were initially.
Yes. This is the present humps. 2 on each carriageway. One in front of Raman gate and one in front of Lakshya gate. I went over the humps yesterday. Definitely biggies but can be tackled in 1st gear without scraping underbody.
I couldn't take pics the day before since ADE doesn't permit smartphone inside.
srvm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:17   #19120
BHPian

Quote:

A friend shared these pictures today, looks much more reasonable and not as unscientific as they
Had a taste of these this morning. Boards have been put up either side of the hump, but God knows how many eyes will see them, particularly at night. These humps are not small by any means and bikes can fly if missed. Cars may not fly, but passengers will .
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 23:12   #19121
BHPian

Breaking news!!!

All the humps have disappeared . Somebody must have realized that they are more likely to cause accidents than prevent.

Their reasons were genuine in installing them, but it was a pathetic idea on that dimly lit stretch.
Nalin1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 03:07   #19122
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Breaking news!!!

All the humps have disappeared . Somebody must have realized that they are more likely to cause accidents than prevent.
My friend who travels on this stretch every morning shared this picture. Good move, heard it was pretty big and dangerous, though I must say from the pictures I saw and posted earlier, it did look fine, I'm sure in reality that wasn't the case. In the last month or so, I haven't had a chance to use that stretch, so no first hand experience!

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20211008_030221.jpg
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 10:43   #19123
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Question for folks familiar with Jeevan Bima Nagar :
There used to be a Bangalore One centre in the BBMP Ward office building opposite the Water tank. Is this still there or moved to another location nearby ? I thought it's not there anymore after the Garbage collection/segregation unit came up there.
*Gmaps says it's still there (could very well be wrong), so wanted to confirm if someone here knows.

Last edited by NPV : 8th October 2021 at 10:53.
Old 8th October 2021, 13:01   #19124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Breaking news!!!

Their reasons were genuine in installing them, but it was a pathetic idea on that dimly lit stretch.
Quote:
My friend who travels on this stretch every morning shared this picture. Good move, heard it was pretty big and dangerous......
Passed through this section of the road again today. Yep, the humps have been removed so well that that there is no trace of them ever being there!!

Inquired with security guards at ADE on why they were removed. Guess what? They said about 15-20 accidents took place in a matter of 2-3 days due to the unscientific humps The idiots who wanted to prevent accidents at this place, created a monster which created more accidents than it prevented!

All they had to do was put in couple of street lights around the bumps and add couple of warning boards 30m before the humps. Ironically, there are banners all over the place between BEML gate junction and DRDO township thanking the local MLA for LED street lights

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th October 2021 at 16:12. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
srvm is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 13:23   #19125
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There used to be a Bangalore One centre in the BBMP Ward office building opposite the Water tank.
Went there this morning and it's still there in the same place but since the building is slightly inside the campus, so the signboard isn't easily visible unless someone is specifically looking out for it, add to it garbage trucks and other vehicles that end up blocking off the building

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks