Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2022, 07:29   #19846
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I hear you, and have been in such situations often. For me, I drive the Storme most times so try to go my own pace. The Storme gives me some comfort there. If he overtakes me, I let him go.

Btw, passed a Panamera couple of days back. He had his hazard lights all the time, gingerly taking those speed breakers. I dont think you do the same, do you ? (Feel for the guy, though. He cant be taking these as carefreely that I can)
Having driven for ~25 years in Bangalore, 99% of the things on the road don't bother me :-) If someone is flashing or honking because I am being slow to go over speed breaker etc is not at all an issue. The other day, I was driving a Polo on ORR and approached a congested section with traffic pile up in all lanes. There was a guy behind me with powerful after-market headlights and he kept flashing them inspite of seeing the congestion. Normally, if someone honks, flashes or cuts into my lane, etc. I give him the benefit out doubt and let him pass. Here I was stuck in traffic from all sides with an idiot flashing his high beam right behind me. Lost my inner peace but somehow managed to stay put!! I guess I should have lowered by rear view mirrors.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 10:57   #19847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV
Now, this guy was using expletives and very bad language and threatening the driver and even kicked the door, put his hands through the gap in the window trying to attack the driver by grabbing his neck the man driving the Thar was shooting a video of the goon with his phone.
Quote:
I have no hopes on our cops - those guys will stay neutral and milk both parties. For the language used and the physical act that goon was committing in trying to damage the car and the attack the driver, I think any normal law and order cop would have first caned or used his lathi to stop the goon
In my humble opinion; the Thar driver did the best based on the situation. He remained in the car and also made a video of the incident. Today for an average person one way to get some justice is by circulating this videos in social media so much so that that police force is forced to act. Like any place in the world there are dredges in the society and in Banaglore many of them can now afford two wheelers.

On the police men's behaviour; I will play the devil's advocate. You suggested that they should just use their lathis. Tomorrow if the goon and his accomplice goes to the court and complain of police brutality will you be standing as witness and defend the police men? 99.9% you will not. The police also knows the behaviour of the society, so they only use these tools when their authority or safety is being threatened. The majority of the police force consists of people who want to lead a near-to-peaceful life. A few of them go on power trips, and then there are another set who love the police job mainly for the crime investigation part.

Just to add on; in my limited experience the most mismanaged toll booths seems to be the one operated by BETL at Veerasandra near Electronic City and at the border at Attibele. And it is here I have observed the maximum incidents of local drivers picking up fights with toll booth operators and trying to dodge the toll. And the queue system is also more chaotic.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 11:08   #19848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
How to deal with the drivers behind you who flash their high beams repeatedly?
On Sunday was coming back from Sivanasamudra via kanakapura Road. A cabbie behind me repeatedly flashed his high beams. The high beams were cheap bluish LED I believe and he had changed the fog lamps as well to LED. I immediately gave him way.

Within a KM I saw the same cab stuck behind a bus and I just passed him on the right. Couple of minutes later, he was again behind me and repeatedly flashed the high beam. Again gave him way even though I was on the left side this time.

The cabbie was stuck behind the traffic again and I could see him repeatedly flashing the light in traffic. Again I passed him and again he was behind me within minutes. There was bus in front of me and all the lanes were blocked. But the cabbie kept on flashing the headlight.

Usually I don't bother, just lower my IRVM and sometime close the ORVM as well. But the long day and long drive had made me a bit irritated. So got down of my car and went to the cabbie and asked him politely 'as to why he has all the LED lights on and why is he repeatedly flashing the headlight when there is absolutely no space to pass".

The cab driver was a bit surprised, but quickly smiled and apologized. Even I was taken aback by his response. After that I followed the cab till NICE road junction and he never flashed the headlight. But he dint switch off the LED Fog lights which was the most irritating.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 19:47   #19849
Distinguished - BHPian

Some serious torrential rain at least in North BLR. KIAL Expressway seems to be at a standstill under that dratted railway overbridge just beyond Yelahanka.

Less said about Hebbal & ORR the better. Drive safe!

Last edited by itwasntme : 24th August 2022 at 20:00.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 21:05   #19850
BHPian

Noticing many drivers with learner boards on the bigger cars - Safari, Harrier, Carens, Creta. That's not a pattern I have seen before - most learners always had/started with smaller cars. Wonder what's changing.
Old 25th August 2022, 12:46   #19851
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Passed by the Hebbal - Nagavara stretch this week. They have now chopped down the trees on both sides. Looks like more work coming up and more suffering :(

No, not that section. When coming from Nagavara towards Hebbal flyover, there is only one ramp that goes up, and turns left towards city. Traffic from Gorguntepalya towards Nagavara and Nagavara towards Yelahanka is both at ground level.
It is all done for Metro, if metro is not required the white topping road would have been there, the trees all in the median. But Metro engages the best consultants an environmental agencies and come up with a project proposal. SO all cost spent here there it is all included in the cost benefit analysis. so 50% tax or 30% tax it is all taken care by the respective agencies while preparing the detailed project report. Relax
Old 25th August 2022, 15:36   #19852
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagaraj15 View Post
It is all done for Metro, if metro is not required the white topping road would have been there, the trees all in the median. But Metro engages the best consultants an environmental agencies and come up with a project proposal. SO all cost spent here there it is all included in the cost benefit analysis. so 50% tax or 30% tax it is all taken care by the respective agencies while preparing the detailed project report. Relax
@nagaraj15, pls explain. I am not able to understand your post, especially the tax part. Not able to see the connection to the observation I have shared in my post.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 17:08   #19853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Noticing many drivers with learner boards on the bigger cars - Safari, Harrier, Carens, Creta. That's not a pattern I have seen before - most learners always had/started with smaller cars. Wonder what's changing.
Bangalore traffic discipline at the worst now. The worst thing that happened post Covid is that this absolute disregard to traffic rules. I am afraid that the mentality could be - "We survived through Covid and there is nothing else that could harm us anymore. Break the rules, we have seen the worst."

Wrong lane driving, Wrong way driving, Jumping signals, Honking unnecessarily, Squeezing in all possible gaps and what not. Come to the city you will witness all this now.

More than the traffic, it is now this insane driving habits that is a pain to deal with. For sure, my BP levels must be on its highest ever living through this attrocities.

Look at this, a Ciaz guy yesterday, on Sarjapur Road, I mean the actual divided Sarjapur main road, near Fire Station. He wanted to avoid a far away U-turn and came to this opposite side head on. All of us were wonderstruck on what the heck is this guy doing. He somehow squeezed between us and went off. Can it go any worser that this?

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-sarj.jpg

And the less said about these Swiggy, Zomato, Dunzo delivers guys, the better. They ride as if there is no tomorrow.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 25th August 2022 at 17:14.
balenoed_ is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 18:01   #19854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

Look at this, a Ciaz guy yesterday, on Sarjapur Road, I mean the actual divided Sarjapur main road, near Fire Station. He wanted to avoid a far away U-turn and came to this opposite side head on. All of us were wonderstruck on what the heck is this guy doing. He somehow squeezed between us and went off. Can it go any worser that this?
This has been going on at that spot from long (atleast from 2016 the time I started working from Sarjapur). I had shared multiple such incidents to BTP and for some time there used to be 1 or 2 cops posted there in the morning times and catch/fine the offenders.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 14:21   #19855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
This has been going on at that spot from long (atleast from 2016 the time I started working from Sarjapur).
Yes, I believe it was only 2 wheelers earlier, but now even the 4 wheelers are doing it or probably I wasn't so regular on this route earlier, now I am.

Todays spotting, it has become a routine for me as a hobby to spot these stunts:

Look at the traffic jam on the opposite side. These guys are trying to avoid that by coming on this lane which is a wrong way for them.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-sarjjj.jpg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 26th August 2022 at 14:23.
balenoed_ is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 22:18   #19856
Senior - BHPian

Driving /riding wrong way is the new normal. Please get used to it
Traffic cops have two jobs only. Make money on soft targets (read white plates) and VIP protection. Rest is jungle Raj
goandude is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 21:28   #19857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Bangalore traffic discipline at the worst now. The worst thing that happened post Covid is that this absolute disregard to traffic rules. I am afraid that the mentality could be - "We survived through Covid and there is nothing else that could harm us anymore. Break the rules, we have seen the worst.
I agree that it suddenly seems worse, but largely maybe because we were spared the headache of traffic for the last two years. Given a peaceful two years, it seems unpalatable that so much time has to be lost in traffic ( 3 hours for 26kms, to and fro - that's how much time I lose ). Add to it, Saturday afternoon traffic beats even weekday morning and evening traffic. And then all types of commuters - rented bikes, delivery folks, people with big cars[count me in], triple-liners on a single road[I have to cross a railway crossing and on either side people pack up like a tin of sardines on the wrong lane hoping they can squeeze in as soon as the gate opens], arrogant asses and what not. At an intersection recently, I was approaching a car from his right. It was a BMW, the guy slowed down and I thought that he was letting me go as per the right of the way, but the fellow suddenly accelerated when I was about to cross him and I was left banging at my steering wheel - turned out to be a close call. The traffic can be better managed by some of these minor corrections that I listed at https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post5370435 (Google to help reduce traffic in Bengaluru) . Uber/Ola isn't an option too. Volvo isn't too. Everything gets stuck and the most productive hours of the morning are spent battling an unwanted problem.
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 08:49   #19858
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Also, in a move that will bring much needed respite (though for just a few days), the obstacle course with distributed craters, ruts and potholes between the Lakshmipuram cemetery junction and 100 feet road junction.
I said it too early a week of intermittent rains and many of those patches are gone

Crater alert - on old Madras road, when going from Indiranagar towards Ulsoor, after the BDA complex/Indian oil bunk signal and just before the bus stop near BMTC depot, there is a huge crater (I kid you not), if you're on the middle/right lane you will be forced to get into this! Stay on the left after the signal.

Last edited by NPV : 29th August 2022 at 08:51.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 09:55   #19859
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
...Crater alert - on old Madras road...
I was on the opposite KR Puram bound carriageway a week ago, and though that road has never been a great surface to my recall, the stretch from Murphy Rd junction upto 100 ft Rd turnoff is horrifyingly bad.

It used to be my commute, boy am I glad I don't have to anymore.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 10:14   #19860
Senior - BHPian

Bellandur ORR back to it’s glorious past. This flooding problem infront of eco space is never fixed, after so many years. They got the whole 2 years with empty roads to fix this problem, but nothing done. All constructions around, but least bothered about fixing basic issues. What a collosal disaster we have to live with.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-9560346afcf747fe87d819930602d0e4.jpeg

Beware of coming this side, the map shows bloody red.

Today's image.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 30th August 2022 at 10:38. Reason: added answer to the query in below post.
balenoed_ is offline   (95) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks