Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2022, 10:37   #19861
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Bellandur ORR back to it’s glorious past.
Beware of coming this side, the map shows bloody red.
Thanks - I had been to Ecospace yesterday and left around 9:30pm yesterday night and the swimming pools were already in formation. Is this image of today?

Luckily (for me) yesterday morning, there was no water logging seen at or under the flyover (opposite Intel / RMZ Ecoworld entrance).
ninjatalli is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 10:59   #19862
BHPian

Right now it is impossible to exit from or enter into many buildings on ORR, including the one where I stay. Service roads are jammed like solidified concrete. Those glorious first world cycle lanes along with rampant parking and two way traffic on service roads means only one thing - hell. It is total anarchy. Every time you think shit has hit the ceiling, there is more of it. I have repeatedly appealed traffic police on Twitter to either make service roads one way or ban parking and uproot those bike lanes. They couldn't be bothered. They just want to hide at a deceptive 'No U-Turn' sign and nab some petty offender.
Malyaj is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 11:18   #19863
BHPian

Received this on whatsapp. Apparently it is somewhere in ring road.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20220830wa0001.jpg

This is what happens when roads are built on former lakes/canals without considering the consequences

Unfortunately nothing will be done about it and we will be back with even bigger rant when this happens again next year!
nagr22 is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 11:21   #19864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Thanks - I had been to Ecospace yesterday and left around 9:30pm yesterday night and the swimming pools were already in formation. Is this image of today?

Luckily (for me) yesterday morning, there was no water logging seen at or under the flyover (opposite Intel / RMZ Ecoworld entrance).
Yesterday evening traffic was fine. This would be the result of an overnight downpour. Disgusting to note that even the owners of the tech parks who have intense lobbying power have done nothing to fix water drainage issues over these many years. Should be shameful for them as well as the thousand companies who work out of this area.
audioholic is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 11:35   #19865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Disgusting to note that even the owners of the tech parks who have intense lobbying power have done nothing to fix water drainage issues over these many years.
The lobbying power they have has been used to make even more money for them! Once they have built the place and the IT companies have leased it out for 5 years, what do they care? It's not like the head honchos have to commute there everyday.

(And to be fair, this is a government/BBMP failure/responsibility.)

Anyway the IT companies are more than happy to continue expanding in that area however bad it gets. The head honchos from the US "head office" pay flying visits once in a few years where they are chauffeur driven from their hotel to the IT park, without experiencing the traffic nightmare. Anyway inside the IT park all is nice and green and food courts full of smiling employees.

So who apart from the employees who have to commute there everyday and those who have apartments there care? (Oh and we don't vote anyway!)

Last edited by am1m : 30th August 2022 at 11:37.
am1m is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 11:53   #19866
BHPian

Well I started for office for ORR today before these pictures were posted. Started at 9:35am.
Was stuck in HSR before even reaching ORR. Took a u-turn and tried from Harlur. After being stuck there for another hour returned home.

Here I am back home at 11:53 am having covered a glorious 7kms since 9:35am. Phew!
ValarMorghulis is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 12:30   #19867
Distinguished - BHPian

I had seen this in the morning, but still thought I could get to office from the Carmelaram-Ecoworld side and left at 9.30am. Reached Ecoworld road till around 1km from ORR in 20 min. After that it was just not moving. Waited till 11.15, crawled till the entrance of Ecoworld Road and turned back. Reached back home at 12pm. Total distance of around 6km

Mainly turned back because I did not want to go through the same thing in the evening!!

Edit: This was in a 2-Wheeler
Rajeevraj is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 12:35   #19868
BHPian

No amount of planning is going to rescue Bangalore's collapsed administration. We are beyond the stage where we keep talking of 'bad planning'. No Metro, no Peripheral Ring Road, no Solar System Orbital Road is going to solve anything. There are far too many private vehicles. Only dire solutions will work.
  1. Massive expansion of bus fleet and feeder services using smaller buses into smaller roads. Get more people into public transport.
  2. Experiment with Odd / Even

There was a time we used to recall the odd harrowing traffic day. Now we recall the rare less-traffic day. Yesterday my wife and I were returning from office around 6:30 from Koramangala and we reached home in 40 mins. When I reached home I sat silently for some time in disbelief because I was expecting the usual 90 mins to 2 hours.

Last edited by Malyaj : 30th August 2022 at 12:38.
Malyaj is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 12:56   #19869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyaj View Post
No amount of planning is going to rescue Bangalore's...
I think there's a plan. Like Ukraine, Bengaluru is due to be bombed sometime soon. Why waste money on infrastructure when you have to build everything again anew?

/s
mvadg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 12:58   #19870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyaj View Post
  1. Experiment with Odd / Even
I don't understand how this odd-even will work. If such a rule comes up, I'll just have to buy another car. May increase the going rates of 2nd hand beater cars, but will not reduce traffic.
wildsdi5530 is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 13:01   #19871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I don't understand how this odd-even will work. If such a rule comes up, I'll just have to buy another car. May increase the going rates of 2nd hand beater cars, but will not reduce traffic.
That's why I said 'experiment'. And not everyone can buy a second car.

In any case, more and reliable public transport is the only long lasting solution. The problem is that with the current situation it is not possible to stand for 2+ hours in an overcrowded bus that keeps throwing you back and forth, hence it becomes more discouraging and compounds the problem.

Last edited by Malyaj : 30th August 2022 at 13:04.
Malyaj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 13:03   #19872
BHPian

Tried going to office (HSR Layout) from Bellandur. Waited for 40 minutes and still couldn't join the service road. Took a U-Turn and came back home in 5 minutes
rahulcmoulee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 13:09   #19873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
Received this on whatsapp. Apparently it is somewhere in ring road.
Attachment 2352476

This is what happens when roads are built on former lakes/canals without considering the consequences

Unfortunately nothing will be done about it and we will be back with even bigger rant when this happens again next year!
I left today morning at 7 for the Blr-Coimbatore leg of my roadtrip (Hyd - Coonoor) and almost 6 hours later checked in to Mariott near Bellandur . I think this is exactly where we were stuck, hidden behind the tree on the right(one occasion where I would not have minded getting clicked on the traffic cams but got hidden, alas it has been that kinda day). Saw a couple of BMWs and multiple two wheelers getting stuck in the water which still doesn't look like receding. Apart from a few volunteers trying to help manage the traffic, no help from the authorities, most of them were busy clicking pictures and egging people on to try and go through the water.
Now considering taking a flight to coimbatore instead.

Water ahead
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-pxl_20220830_035054014.jpg

Traffic behind
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-pxl_20220830_035047045.jpg

Last edited by animeshc : 30th August 2022 at 13:10. Reason: Spelling fixes
animeshc is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 13:21   #19874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I think there's a plan. Like Ukraine, Bengaluru is due to be bombed sometime soon. Why waste money on infrastructure when you have to build everything again anew?

/s
The plan is to not plan anything. It is the model that suits the administration.
Malyaj is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 14:24   #19875
BHPian

If we could work from home for 2 years, today should have been a no-brainer.

One look at Google Maps before starting (which I used to do back in 2013-2017 for the dreaded Agara-Bellandur stretch even in normal, sunny days - yes, we all know BLR traffic is bad not just when it rains) and it would have been self-explanatory.

While I agree that there are some job profiles for which we must be in office, HR should have been proactive in sending emails discouraging employees to travel wherever possible, in emergency situations like these.
mayukh42 is offline   (23) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks