Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2022, 01:05   #19936
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen View Post
I wonder what the Audi S5 that was right in front of me (and slowed down completely right in front of the scene before it) did after I braved what felt like the literal sea.
Waited for hours before managing to go back 100 meters to park it in the Mariott, then waited more than a day out and finally got the car back home a few mins back. In case you are wondering, I was the one driving it , small world! I remember seeing your car with the team bhp sticker on it.
animeshc is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 02:25   #19937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Trust me - nothing in Bangalore / even in this country will ever change. Problems such as this will continue to happen and will only get worse with time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
All CXOs and influential people of IT live in that part of the town. High end residential projects and schools etc also came up around that area. Commercial space builders also acquired huge land banks in that area. It’s a vicious circle of sorts.
I have said this at many forums and I always get heavily downvoted.

The only solution is to pool money and forms a private body that takes care of these civic affairs. IT guys are taking a 30L-1+Cr salary (IT industry salary survey). These problems can be resolved immediately at Ecoworld and Ecospace companies level. There is no need to wait for an official Government response or BBMP action, which take days.

These companies are making 100M+ to a few billion USD in quarterly revenues. They can easily pool a few crores and solve this problem at their level. It will be net positive for them too.

If there is not enough traffic police, have private security to guide the road traffic. Have a private company taking care of drainage and water pumps for few weeks.

Yes I know we are paying 30-60% taxes (Include my income tax & I paid 61 lakhs to buy a Skoda Kodiaq!) and this is the Government's job but then a few things are worth doing it ourselves if it can be done. We are paying for private tankers and generators after all when it is Government's job to private water and electricity.

I also think BBMP should be privatized as they just don't have the skill, management, or desire to serve the world's fastest-growing city.

Last edited by how_you_doing : 1st September 2022 at 02:38.
how_you_doing is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 05:57   #19938
Team-BHP Support

A chain is weakest at the weakest link. Problem is: Even if we fix the issue at Ecospace what is the assurance that it has not been transferred to the next link in the chain? This is so true for flooding.

Overflowing lakes is one aspect. How about taking the over flowing water to some other location? We build a large exit drainage, that would take it out from Ecospace. But to where? That aspect needs to be planned well; else its just pushing problem to another location.

As regards to Ecospace, its a known secret, ORR is the only traffic link with no alternatives to this route. It will be vulnerable to any catastrophe. Until alternatives are in place, we have to face this problem sine-die.

PS: Next event at Ecospace: Groundbreaking (Digging) Ceremony to fix the drainage issue. All are Invited!

Last edited by ampere : 1st September 2022 at 06:07.
ampere is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 06:25   #19939
Senior - BHPian

In Japan they have underground containers to hold flood water. There has been no flooding ever since. Even in Singapore I saw heavy rains just disappearing underground, leaving nothing on surface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How about taking the over flowing water to some other location? We build a large exit drainage, that would take it out from Ecospace. But to where?
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 06:35   #19940
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
In Japan they have underground containers to hold flood water. There has been no flooding ever since. Even in Singapore I saw heavy rains just disappearing underground, leaving nothing on surface.
The container has to be of a finite capacity. Some how the water still needs a way to be taken out. If it sees impediment at the next junction, the problem remains. Those countries have somehow fixed that part of the problem very well.

Last edited by ampere : 1st September 2022 at 06:56.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 06:47   #19941
Senior - BHPian

If water had the value of gold these guys would move heaven and earth to do it. To see so much fresh water go down the drain itself is sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The container has to be of a finite capacity. Some how the water still needs a way to be taken out. If it sees impediment at the next junction, the problem remains. Those countries have some fixed that part of the problem very well.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 07:53   #19942
BHPian

https://twitter.com/hsrltrafficps/st...-KLal4aRISG2-Q

Situation is same today with waterlogging in the entire area in front of Ecospace.
bejoy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 09:00   #19943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Eventually, people will start relocating to their respective natives, realising the futility of life under such conditions - the trend is already catching on and will only go up! Having spent as many years in Bangalore, it deeply saddens me to see the current state of this beautiful city - sad but true.
That IS the right way to sustainable growth. Every state should have 3 to 4 such job creation centers to ease out the stress on the Mumbais, NCRs, Bangalores, Punes and Hyderabads, so that people can stay closer home ( of course, applies only if people actually prefer so, for there are other factors such as weather, melting-pot-culture they prefer etc which cannot be 'created').

People that own the land, people that make the legislations, companies that set shop in the same area despite knowing about the massive congestion and people that buy the properties are all equally responsible - and this is not going to be an easy pattern to break, if Mumbai's continuously( three-four decades now?) skyrocketing land/apartment rates are any indication.
Old 1st September 2022, 09:34   #19944
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post

Situation is same today with waterlogging in the entire area in front of Ecospace.
Actually (and thankfully) this is lesser. This was the situation on Monday night when I went to office (=Ecospace). The situation was much worse over the last two days (as reported here and by some of my colleagues who chose to go to office). Seems like the water levels are going down as fast as they went up two days ago.
Old 1st September 2022, 09:41   #19945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
... Eventually, people will start relocating to their respective natives, realising the futility of life under such conditions - the trend is already catching on and will only go up!..
The truth is nobody is going out of Bengaluru. In fact the ones who worked from their native places were the first to return to office. Perception beats reality, no wonder most of them are trying to match with the jonesses instead of focusing on what matters.

It takes courage to be different and pursue what matters, despite getting ostracized. Unfortunately, what we are witnessing is called pursuing the middle-class dream.
UPS_Guru is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 10:09   #19946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyaj View Post
  1. Massive expansion of bus fleet and feeder services using smaller buses into smaller roads. Get more people into public transport.
  2. Experiment with Odd / Even
The problem with public transport(BMTC) is that they do not know how to release the amount of buses they have in an organized manner. Every time we get a bus, there would be 2-3 of them coming together wherein one of them is completely crowded and the other two are more or less empty. If we miss these buses then we will have to wait for at least 20 mins depending on the time for another one to come. One more thing to note is that, the Volvos aren't plying like before. If I were to come from Marathahalli to Silk Board, the chances of getting a Volvo is like 1 every hour, and if we want to go to Banashankari, the odds of that route coming is even less! These are my observations, being a regular public transport user.
CzechItaliaMoto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 10:36   #19947
BHPian

Every time a recruiter calls about an opportunity in Bangalore, my only question to them is if the opportunity is fully remote. Most of the times their response is a no, and correspondingly my response is always “thank you”. Every time I see threads like these, I know I’m doing the right thing.

I used to work at a major bank that began operations in Bangalore in 2005. Loved the bank, worked with them for 4 years, had to travel to Bangalore frequently in those 4 years and absolutely hated it then itself.

IMHO, the most effective way to kick everyone into action is if the MNC’s decide to leave en masse. Most of the real estate is leased anyway, and the pandemic has proven that you can get work done sitting anywhere. The kind of cost savings on lease amounts and capex items by moving to a fully remote model are awesome. Not sure why companies are ignoring these. There are additional add on benefits like reduced pollution and energy savings (those huge generators running, plus air conditioning in summer).

As long as the government keep getting their taxes, they are not going to do anything!
three10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 10:40   #19948
BHPian

Has anyone ventured to ORR today? Is it possible to go Embassy Tech Park/ Village today or WFH is the best bet again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
... No, I am an outsider myself ... Being an outsider does ...
What makes one an outsider or a local in Bengaluru?
I have a home here and a local car. I work, vote and pay taxes in Bengaluru. Does that make me a local?

My roots are in Nainital though; & I completed my school/ college from Delhi. Worked few years in Chennai and Pune as well. Does this make me an outsider?
ValarMorghulis is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 10:47   #19949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Has anyone ventured to ORR today? Is it possible to go Embassy Tech Park/ Village today or WFH is the best bet again?
I just did this morning for some personal work and traveled to and fro infront of eco space. The water has slightly receded but it is still there to cause a traffic pile up.

While going at 8 am towards Silk Board it was faster due to less vehicles and while on return at 9am, I saw the traffic have piled up till embassy tech park, right from this water logging area. So try to avoid today and until the water is completely gone. A small pool is enough to cause a chaos here. Going to embassy is not a problem. It’s when you come out in the evening is what may be a concern.

On the other hand, if it is towards KR Puram then it is all clear.

Some pics of today morning:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-932dc0b02f1044a3b1c8cafc8a4551b0.jpeg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-fd9a50576cb34cc4ba202a9c702a702b.jpeg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-ece4e070b1ca4b28b0a163ae5a23ee41.jpeg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 1st September 2022 at 10:49.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 10:57   #19950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechItaliaMoto View Post
One more thing to note is that, the Volvos aren't plying like before. If I were to come from Marathahalli to Silk Board, the chances of getting a Volvo is like 1 every hour, and if we want to go to Banashankari, the odds of that route coming is even less! These are my observations, being a regular public transport user.
Your observations are correct. I also use BMTC buses on ORR and the frequency of Volvo buses has certainly gone down which is a shame. Pre-Covid, I had the luxury to skip buses and wait for an empty one where I could find a seat of my choice, simply because they were so frequent. No longer. I guess they are still reeling from the Covid losses.

At the cost of sounding dramatic, I will say that Bangalore traffic situation is an emergency, something which requires Central government intervention . We need funds for more buses, to absorb losses and treat it as a public service instead of trying to plan operations around profit. A less tired, less frustrated and more productive population will bring its own benefits.
Malyaj is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed