Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2020, 11:38   #1966
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

From what can be seen in the photos, this is a small-Street area. No place to push any car, not even an Alto!
Old 18th March 2020, 13:35   #1967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zehhatter View Post
There are a lot of factors in play but mostly it's the drivers who are actually not used to the characteristics of the Mustang. The Mustangs in India come with 3.15:1 LSD and are equipped with Michelin P Zeros which needs to heat up substantially to gain enough traction for our roads.
Never knew Michelin made "P Zeros"!

LSD actually aids in traction and thus aids in handling + predictability. Again, you can put hundreds of driver aids and if someone is not sensible enough, they will end up crashing the car eventually.

Quote:
On top of that, the 5.0 has the coyote engine which is a pretty heavy engine that gives it a weight distribution of 53/47, sum all the factors and you get a tail-happy car. The handling of the Mustang GT is anything but predictable, one needs to drive it on an empty lot for a month and get to know how the car behaves before ripping it on the streets.
53/47 is a near balanced weight distribution. Another car with exact same weight distribution is Nissan 350Z. The 2.3L Ecoboost Mustang has a weight distribution of 52/48. Nissan considers 54/46 as the ideal weight distribution.

The current generation Mustang have independent rear suspension, instead of live axle suspension in previous generations. Old models were notoriously called crowd killer, look up for videos on Youtube.

Quote:
If you compare most of the mustang accidents in India, you will see almost all the drivers were below 25 and upgraded from a 150-200 FWD or AWD car.
The lack of training and experience is what is causing these accidents. These guys need to progressively push the car and know the car's limit. Unfortunately they don't believe in Peter Parker principle (With great power there must also come great responsibility).
jaguar.runs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 13:50   #1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post
Never knew Michelin made "P Zeros"!
Thank you for correcting, I was reading something about Michelin earlier in the day and hence ended up making this mistake.

yeh, LSD is useful but the performance pack has a better ratio at 3.73:1, which aids in better stability. I wholeheartedly agree with you, there are people who have crashed a Tesla with all safety aids

The Mustang is a long and heavy car, dynamics isn't related only to weight distribution. My friend who has owned an EcoBoost and upgraded to a GT, did specify that the GT is front heavy, my experience is limited to the GT and it's a scary car to drive on Indian roads if you are not used to RWD vehicles.

Yeh, Lack of experience and overconfidence is the problem with the majority of the drivers, not just in India but everywhere.
Old 19th March 2020, 12:32   #1969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zehhatter View Post
yeh, LSD is useful but the performance pack has a better ratio at 3.73:1, which aids in better stability. I wholeheartedly agree with you, there are people who have crashed a Tesla with all safety aids

The Mustang is a long and heavy car, dynamics isn't related only to weight distribution.
Exactly my point, whatever driver/stability aids and perfect handling doesn't matter when someone foolishly pushes a car beyond its limit. Its important to know a car's limit before driving it to the limit, let it be an Alto or a Chiron.
jaguar.runs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 01:19   #1970
Senior - BHPian

3.15 vs 3.73 will not make a difference to traction if they are both LSD, so I'm not sure what you mean by 'better'. In fact, the 3.15 will be slower accelerating, and thus a novice driver will find it easier to drive and be less likely to lose control.

I haven't driven the Indian Mustang with whatever the OE tyres are, but it's unlikely that they need to be 'warmed' up, or at least unlikely that it's a major factor in the crash. We have some of the highest tarmac temperatures in the world, especially if you consider RHD countries.

53/47 is a pretty decent WD for F/R. The current MB C Class has a similar setup, and you don't see it being binned all the time. Mainly because it's not driven like a Mustang. Just FYI, F1 cars have 45/55 and 911s until the mid 00s had 40/60, so 50/50 isn't some ideal ratio. Rear bias tends to keep the car stable under heavy braking, and the rear doesn't break away as easily on throttle.
v1p3r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 18:38   #1971
BHPian

The Mustang is a 2016 model car and was bought by this guy in 2018. The car is indeed red in color afaik you are not supposed to change the colour of the car even by wrap without prior permission
Old 21st March 2020, 19:27   #1972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
One more Mustang crashes in Kerala!

Heard that the driver lost control and steered left and rammed into the pole to avoid hitting any other car.
Wow another one sacrificed. Looks like Kerala ‘s Mustang’s will soon be called ‘Mustbang’
SnS_12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 14:24   #1973
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Haven’t driven one but with all the power going to the rear wheels, it should be easy to lose the control especially if you have no prior experience on such cars.
There are two reasons for so many Mustang crashes. For one, because of the numbers its sold, there are a lot more of them (compared to other imports). And the main reason = from my post on the Mustang thread. This can only get amplified when the tyres get worn with age, or on slippery / sandy / wet tarmac:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Three important rules about the Mustang to keep in mind - The rear will slide. The rear will slide. The rear will slide . Whether you like it or not depends on your individual perspective. I thoroughly enjoyed it, although things can get scary in the hands of an inexperienced driver. Bury the magic pedal from a standstill or at low speeds and you’ll experience the rear end wiggling from side to side! Once, she slid from left to right, and then left to right again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Once upon a time all cars were rear-wheel driven. Certainly the cars of my childhood and first driving experience were.
How many of them were 400 BHP .
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 14:51   #1974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Well now, let me see...

Hmmm... Hmmm? Hmmm.

Despite the fact that both my parents would have loved a 400 BHP car... none.

(And in the fifties/sixties, how many would there have been anyway?)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 17:00   #1975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Not driven the Mustang sold on our shores, so not sure how the traction control works.
I have driven multiple versions of the new gen mustangs. Even with the TC switched on, burying the loud pedal is asking for BIG trouble. Getting the rear to step out is really easy and it can make a sensible guy soil their trousers . Atleast this was the case with far better roads in Australia. I can only imagine what happens when some imbeciles do the same on the roads of my home state.

The 'normal' versions of mustang and the camaro are both quite a handful due to the (relatively) soft suspensions, higher weight & lower spec brakes - compared to the 'proper' sports cars. I guess its all a part of the budget sports car proposition.
MaddyCrew is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 22:14   #1976
Team-BHP Support

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-accident.jpg

Jag XJ gets trashed

So much for social distancing! Story hardly adds up, makes for one lousy actress I guess!

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/ac...ru-821199.html

Last edited by ajmat : 19th April 2020 at 15:54.
ajmat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 14:40   #1977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For sure this one was...

One of the finds from lockdown blues and YouTube browsing. Mustangs surely go out with a bang

(Apologize for non Indian content, but surely brings a smile in the last 4-6 pages context of Mustangs)
svsantosh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 00:46   #1978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heard that the driver lost control and steered left and rammed into the pole to avoid hitting any other car.
Probably not the smartest thing to do if there were pedestrians. People in a metal shell have a lesser risk of serious injury compared to those walking.
Quote:
The loosing control is probably not forgivable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
^^^
Haven’t driven one but with all the power going to the rear wheels, it should be easy to lose the control especially if you have no prior experience on such cars.
Losing control is a loosely used excuse. While at the wheel, one should not be losing control often. Respect the weather conditions, roads, the machine and drive within your abilities.

Key to driving is experience. Youngsters should not be given such powerful machines without some years of driving experience. Also, one must account for road conditions in India which are far more dangerous than in the USA.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 03:58   #1979
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Losing control is a loosely used excuse.
Yes!

This is my usual response to the loosing-control excuse: it means they never really had it in the first place.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 05:20   #1980
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123;4796996
Losing control is a [I
loosely used[/i] excuse.
Quote:

This is my usual response to the loosing-control excuse: it means they never really had it in the first place.
Well, not everyone is a pro, and these guys were not driving brand new cars from the showroom-right?

It's a fact, on some cars, one can lose control more often than others, even if everything else is same.

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st May 2020 at 05:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks