Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2020, 19:06   #1981
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
It's a fact, on some cars, one can lose control more often than others, even if everything else is same.
No: that has to be known and factored in. It is up to the driver to keep control at all times. This will probably be a lot less thrilling in a high-performance car. Spending months,maybe years, learning about the vehicle starting at the bottom of its power spectrum is certainly not what young guys buy these vehicles for, but it is certainly what they should do. Long-term great driving skills, rather than short-term great ego expression.

I wish I'd had the chance to go that way. This I do know: on the rare occasions of driving a car outside my normal power zone, I quickly learnt to be oh-so-gentle on the accelerator. And still loved driving the car!

I'm not against people enjoying their cars: especially on a forum such as this, that would be absurd. But pushing the performance of a powerful car on an urban side road? Completely irresponsible. At least go to the open road for that. And to a track for really hairy stuff.

Bottom line is that it helps to keep one's own car in one piece, let alone not being a danger to others.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 1st May 2020 at 19:09.
Old 2nd May 2020, 08:39   #1982
BHPian

I have seen fair amount of rash driving while growing up. I grew up in the Khar-Bandra area of Mumbai. Being a relatively affluent part of India, there were always fancy cars and bikes. And speed and sound followed soon after. There was a time when rich young males (often with an attractive female on the side) went about racing their cars on the seaside streets. Of course the racing wasn't limited to expensive cars; Maruti Omni being a quite popular choice;

If one has a sports/muscle car or a superbike, people already admire you for your possession. There is no need to prove the performance of a mustang or hayabusa especially on a busy and not so broad thoroughfare; Everyone knows what the vehicle is capable of. Any need for validation of the vehicle capabilities can take place at a less congested location and at a more opportune time.

On a different note, drivers should also guard against co-passengers in the car giving out bad instructions and causing confusion. One should not heed people asking you to overtake, drive on the wrong side or parking inappropriately.
smooth indian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 22:20   #1983
Senior - BHPian

I used to laugh at all the Cars and Coffee mustangs crashing. Then i got to drive a rental infinity q50 in the winter for a month while my Civic was getting its bodywork done. Bear in mind that while my civic is a so called "Sport edition" with an LSD etc, it's power is a fraction of both the Q50 and the mustang. I have driven through two heavy winters in the civic without any issues, but the infinity was scary - It used to break traction at the tip of a hat, its automatic tranny meant that throttle response was very unpredictable, and if you turned traction control off on an incline ( so that you could go up - and i had to do that a lot because my house is on an incline) - its a much more hairier experience. Drifting around in main roads uncontrollably with traffic around you, or in an incline is not something you have good memories of, or want to do again.

Its nice to be a car snob and go about how RWD cars are 'real' sporty cars and better handlers and look down upon FWD's - I used to do it too. But I have come to terms that I am a novice - and until i spend several hours (and hundreds of dollars) in an HPDE course, I am not fit to drive a car with that sort of power on tap, and certainly not one where there is a slushbox choosing gears instead of you. Sure, if you are a professional driver with actual drift experience - you may have better luck - but the dunning kruger effect can be a a very expensive discovery for some. These cars are pretty docile in everyday driving and give you a false sense of security that you have tamed the beasts they are - You have not. Not until you have pushed them to the limits on a track (and i mean the car's limits - not yours)

Last edited by ajmat : 3rd May 2020 at 22:44. Reason: typo
greenhorn is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 05:23   #1984
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Sure, if you are a professional driver with actual drift experience - you may have better luck - but the dunning kruger effect can be a a very expensive discovery for some.
Absolutely right. I first sat at the wheel of a car nearly forty years ago. I know I can't do that stuff. I used to worry enough about handling a slight slide on British winter ice (we don't get taught like the Scandanavians, I'm afraid).

One of the driving gurus of my life was a lady who looked very simple and ordinary. We were watching a police car-chase drama one day. I asked her if she could teach me how to drive like that. She replied "I don't know if I still can!"

I had been joking. Nope: she went on to tell me that an uncle had run a police driving-school skid rink and she got free lessons there!

But no, I never had such lessons. And I'm never going to pretend that I did.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 13:51   #1985
BHPian

One simple act of keeping to slower speeds itself makes a big difference. If someone else does some rash driving, it will certainly allow a second or two to respond appropriately and make the difference. Just because one drives a powerful car, it doesn't mean speeding up is required. If someone ridicules, it doesn't matter. and should not be taken as a matter of prestige. A moment of shame is alright and lot better than ending up in a crash.
vivriti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 01:46   #1986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its nice to be a car snob and go about how RWD cars are 'real' sporty cars and better handlers and look down upon FWD's - I used to do it too. But I have come to terms that I am a novice - and until i spend several hours (and hundreds of dollars) in an HPDE course, I am not fit to drive a car with that sort of power on tap, and certainly not one where there is a slushbox choosing gears instead of you. Sure, if you are a professional driver with actual drift experience - you may have better luck - but the dunning kruger effect can be a a very expensive discovery for some. These cars are pretty docile in everyday driving and give you a false sense of security that you have tamed the beasts they are - You have not. Not until you have pushed them to the limits on a track (and i mean the car's limits - not yours)
+10000. This should be tattooed on the hands of anyone who buys anything more than 150 hp and RWD.
v1p3r is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 15:00   #1987
GTB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
How many of them were 400 BHP .
Correct me If I understood it wrong. Rear Wheel Drive cars with more Horsepower are more likely to crash? Of course, I am aware that these are scary sometimes and I did experience once.

P.S: I am asking only about cars, it's a different topic with the Driver again.
GTB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 15:28   #1988
BHPian

Quote:
I used to laugh at all the Cars and Coffee mustangs crashing. Then i got to drive a rental infinity q50 in the winter for a month while my Civic was getting its bodywork done. Bear in mind that while my civic is a so called "Sport edition" with an LSD etc, it's power is a fraction of both the Q50 and the mustang. I have driven through two heavy winters in the civic without any issues, but the infinity was scary - It used to break traction at the tip of a hat, its automatic tranny meant that throttle response was very unpredictable, and if you turned traction control off on an incline ( so that you could go up - and i had to do that a lot because my house is on an incline) - its a much more hairier experience. Drifting around in main roads uncontrollably with traffic around you, or in an incline is not something you have good memories of, or want to do again.

Well said @greenhorn. It's all about one knowing their limits and not pushing beyond it, especially on public roads. Forget cars with massive power, if someone is stupid enough to explore the limits of even hatch-backs on public roads, then I'd rather let natural selection do its thing. Sadly enough, in India, such idiots end up hurting other innocent road users and still walk away due to their "connections".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Correct me If I understood it wrong. Rear Wheel Drive cars with more Horsepower are more likely to crash? Of course, I am aware that these are scary sometimes and I did experience once.

P.S: I am asking only about cars, it's a different topic with the Driver again.
Not necessarily. My daily driver is a ~400 bhp LS3 V8 sedan with an automatic transmission. She is the perfect package - sweet sounding V8, faster than most things on the road & enough space for the family. That said, I am very much aware that she can (& will) kill me, if I behave like a complete imbecile. Burying the throttle is a strict no and is reserved only for the odd track day or for isolated country roads in perfect weather. To be enjoyed responsibly
MaddyCrew is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 16:29   #1989
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddyCrew View Post
Not necessarily. My daily driver is a ~400 bhp LS3 V8 sedan with an automatic transmission. She is the perfect package - sweet sounding V8, faster than most things on the road & enough space for the family. That said, I am very much aware that she can (& will) kill me, if I behave like a complete imbecile. Burying the throttle is a strict no and is reserved only for the odd track day or for isolated country roads in perfect weather. To be enjoyed responsibly
Well said! That sounds like a very lovely car you have there: must be a pleasure to drive at any speed. And that you drive responsibly at appropriate speeds.

It is good to hear from someone who does regularly drive a truly powerful car.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 15:41   #1990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well said! That sounds like a very lovely car you have there: must be a pleasure to drive at any speed. And that you drive responsibly at appropriate speeds.

It is good to hear from someone who does regularly drive a truly powerful car.
She's indeed a pleasure to be with

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-20200115_182516.jpg
MaddyCrew is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 12:22   #1991
BHPian

Kerala Roads, especially in towns and those intersecting state highways have this in common: most often the traffic is thick, slow moving and roads are narrow. On top of this, expect bad broken roads, blame it on the heavy rains and poor enforcement from the state PWD. Expect the Unexpected - is the rule when driving here. Its fair to expect a lot of tipplers on the driving seat. Having lived 40 years here, I can safely say these roads are heaven for tipplers, they get a free run even during the day thanks to the poor enforcement.
Old 3rd October 2020, 13:32   #1992
BHPian

Crashed by a friend back in 2018.
Attached Thumbnails
Supercar & Import Crashes in India-img20181206wa0005.jpg  

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-img20181206wa0002.jpg  

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-img20181206wa0004.jpg  

aditya_911 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 14:05   #1993
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It had to be an insane speed + old design which are far from NCAP requirements
Wonder if the people inside had their seat belts on. I'm Sure they did not. NCAP ratings are useless if the occupants are not securely strapped in.
Old 10th October 2020, 00:51   #1994
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Not surprised. See lot of mustang crashes online with drivers trying to show off and unable to control the car.

If he was DUI, then well hope he learns his lesson.
If anyone here follows automotive memes keenly, you'd know that the Mustang has a reputation for driving into crowds and people, It's almost funny how it is true world over.
Attached Images

viXit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 20:12   #1995
BHPian

Pedestrian killed, another injured as speeding Ferrari ran amok in Hyderabad

HYDERABAD: A speeding Ferrari car ran amok, killing a pedestrian and injuring another at Madhapur on Sunday afternoon.

The car jumped into the footpath, after its driver lost control and ran over people on the footpath, the police said.

As per the records, the car TS 08FP is registered in the name of MEGHA ENGG & INFRA LTD and has valid documents, while police are verifying if the driver has a valid driving licence.

Madhapur police registered a case against the driver Naveen Kumar Goud and seized the vehicle.

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-ferrari_accident_eps_final.jpg

https://www.newindianexpress.com/cit...d-2208900.html
Foxbat is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks