Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2009, 04:05   #166
BHPian

No prices on the website :(
Old 28th August 2009, 06:51   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Checked out the site but didnt find any made for india ride though. Am i missing something?
dood, you got it wrong. When you check the webpage they have one model from every family. I beleive thats what they will be launching in India.
Example: the page only shows a sporty 883....whereas in USA you've sportster 883 then 1200L/1200C,XR1200,nightster 883/1200..
They have shown only one Dyna (I own a FXDC here in USA) but they have missed out FXD,FXDL,FXDC,FXDB,FXWDG for Indi...same applies for softail,fatboy and CVO

BTW if you arent sure what CVO means its called Custom Vehicle Operations. Its a seperate unit where they build these vehicles in harrisburg,PA they only make very few harley which will have serial number like they produce 2000 Dyna's in a year and also the CVO bikes always have 110 cu.In which is 1800cc...

Hope this helps
Old 28th August 2009, 08:20   #168
Senior - BHPian

Ya i got that point but what i meant was there was talk of some bike in the 4 lac price range. So just curious if its a dream only??
Old 28th August 2009, 08:28   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Ya i got that point but what i meant was there was talk of some bike in the 4 lac price range. So just curious if its a dream only??
I dont know whoever is dreaming of getting a HD for 400,000 its gonna be a distant dream. The reason is simple. When they will sell HD in India they will be selling as OEM fully assembled outside India and imported to India.
Right now the import duty on a new vehicle is 100% duty so check the price of the bike in USA and times it by 2 and times it by INR value that will be the price of HD in IND...unless the govt norms or tariff changes for import duty
Old 28th August 2009, 09:22   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
I dont know whoever is dreaming of getting a HD for 400,000 its gonna be a distant dream. The reason is simple. When they will sell HD in India they will be selling as OEM fully assembled outside India and imported to India.
Right now the import duty on a new vehicle is 100% duty so check the price of the bike in USA and times it by 2 and times it by INR value that will be the price of HD in IND...unless the govt norms or tariff changes for import duty
Wrong. They are launching a bike just for India which will be assembled in India itself. I have seen it when I went for their market survey a few months back.
Old 28th August 2009, 09:45   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Wrong. They are launching a bike just for India which will be assembled in India itself. I have seen it when I went for their market survey a few months back.
oh thats nice. I hope you had a nice time in your market survey . I do understand that they will bring a bike for India but the MoU between HD and India govt is that by mid '10 they gonna sell bikes assembled outside HD and price as OEM, by 2011/2012 they gonna set up assembly line and the price will fall down.

You gotta be kiddin me if they gonna sell HD for 400,000. A FXDC that I purchased here costs 13,549, my 2 cents you aint gonna get a FXDC for that price in India

Even the spares/accessories/parts/clothing you name it anything that they gonna bring to India its gonna be priced more that in USD.

One small example a 2009 FXDC in USA is 13,459 and the same bike in europe is 18,459 euros. My question is why dont they sell apples to apples
Old 28th August 2009, 10:00   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
well the news in ET today is not what you are stating. They have written, the 2 bikes on sale would be the Fat Boy and the night rod, all will be CBUs, imported from us.

But the price seems v attractive, a HD Fat boy with proper paper work for around 14,000 dollars.

cheers,
ac
Old 28th August 2009, 10:13   #173
Senior - BHPian

I have not seen a Harley "in the flesh" yet. Don't bite my head off, but they don't look like performance bikes to me. Some of them even look positively garish. Are they really superior to similar Hondas/Yamahas/Suzukis, or is it simply snob value?
Old 28th August 2009, 10:16   #174
Senior - BHPian

I rode one around in Bangalore a couple of years ago, one of the regular ones, not a cut down version, and I realized they are horribly impractical for us:
1. Very heavy, and a challenge to use in our traffic. To drive and to park. Even in the US, the way to park it is to reverse it to the curb, using the road camber to advantage, imagine the chaos if you do that here.
2. Because speeds in India are low, all the heat from the air cooled twin cylinders goes vertical, and roasts your thigh. It gets to be a very hot ride in no time at all.
3. FE, and range - I think one would have to refill the tank every 150 kms.
4. Reliability - much better than the Bullet but not in the Japanese category, so dealer support will be more of a requirement.
HDs and American interstates go together. Even their back roads are like our old highways, with very little traffic on them.
I wish them luck, though, it will be good to hear the exhaust once in a while to accompany the Bullet thump!
PS: If it is parked nose to the pavement, and the road has even a slight camber, the thing will need people to push it back out! Indian conditions may call for a reverse gear, did that come out in the survey??!!

Last edited by Sawyer : 28th August 2009 at 10:26.
Old 28th August 2009, 10:30   #175
BHPian

The website says about many models and no prices, can anybody confirm as to the real models which will be available in India and what will be the price be.
I heard that CNN-IBN did a flash on them but now cant find it.
Old 28th August 2009, 10:36   #176
Senior - BHPian

I think Bullets, with all their quirks, will be better VFM and more practical for our roads.
Old 28th August 2009, 10:37   #177
BHPian

Delhi guys, any clues about the Founders ride? When/where it starts?
Old 28th August 2009, 10:38   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have not seen a Harley "in the flesh" yet. Don't bite my head off, but they don't look like performance bikes to me. Some of them even look positively garish. Are they really superior to similar Hondas/Yamahas/Suzukis, or is it simply snob value?
I'm here to bite your head off. Just kidding!

A Harley is not just a bike, its an experience. Its the sound of life getting bigger, of your daughter running out at midnight, of a V Twin kicking life into shape, of the boys who you won't let your daughter date, of a midnight ride that lasts 3 days. There are those who will feel the call of the Hog, and then there are those who won't. Why should a bike be built just to be the fastest, or most effecient, or best to lean into corners, or anything else? Why can't a bike be built from the heart. Logic, economy, practicality be damned!
Comparing a Harley with a Japanese will not make any sense. They are different beasts altogether. A Yamaha R1 will get you to the finish line quick! But the Harley will get you there in style. Style forged in metal workshops by grease covered men wearing overalls with a cigarette hanging from their lips and a monkey wrench in their hands. Men who are not afraid to walk that dark lonely road at night alone. Men who live to ride, and ride to live.

Cheers,
Old 28th August 2009, 10:42   #179
Senior - BHPian

@gansan, absolutely!! Starting with price, and for a ton of other reasons.
In the US, people who have switched to Bullets call it a lovely little machine, btw, and they only get the 500s. Which they know they should not use on interstates, but are perfect for their backroads. And on which they can fully utilize their DIY hobby. It is getting to have quite a cult following there, the Bullet.
Old 28th August 2009, 10:46   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
Style forged in metal workshops by grease covered men wearing overalls with a cigarette hanging from their lips and a monkey wrench in their hands. Men who are not afraid to walk that dark lonely road at night alone. Men who live to ride, and ride to live.

Cheers,
. Nice. You do know that most new HDs are bought by middle aged Americans having a midlife crisis and the means!
The Wild Hogs movie kind of people - hilarious movie, even more interesting for HD lovers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks