Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2016, 13:02   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

Would it have helped tacking the cross-winds if you were on a bike with a crouched riding position (like a track bike)?
Ravveendrra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 13:36   #242
BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

Aha!

Nice short crisp write up of what otherwise was a adventure trip in many ways (including the 'hungama' post 7.30pm in Bangalore)

While I am no technical expert to comment how your monster size versys performed. All I can say is I was super envious

The bike in flesh is massive.So much that it almost matched up to the roof of the elantra (no kidding)

My 5.5 inches frame requires a ladder to climb on it

Those led lights are super bright and a treat to look at from the rear mirrors of the car

I must confess I didn't like the exhaust note ,you certainly need an upgrade there

Kudos to Neera for riding as a pillion

On a lighter note ,I just hope you didn't fart on her face while resting your bums /riding the bike on foot pegs

Will wait to read your return journey 'versys fan following experience'(specially the London to India via Nepal part)

I for one am a 'Jabra fan' of the bike

Crosswinds- Tell me about it ..Crazy
Rajesh Rawal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 13:56   #243
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
1. Crosswind was blowing heavily from right side and it was literally pushing my face/helmet towards the left and I had to use all my neck strength to push my face to right to see the roads straight ahead (Whew. Imagine!)

2. My helmet strap was continuously flapping towards my neck and left me bruised (Yeah, that's right)

3. I tried keeping the motorcycle to right of central white line so that in event of me getting pushed to left, i have some space and not go off the road into the green-fields

4. For nearly 200kms+ I was just not able to cross 90kmph and if I increase speed to 95kmph then the bike would dangerously sway towards the left and almost felt like I will be swept off the bike and fly away. This feeling especially was accentuated in every wide turns which are plenty on this highway
Ok so Mobike, The God has challenged you for PUIG. Go ahead and get it fixed. And she looks so good in pictures. Great that your wife supported the ordeal.

Quote:
Well, our Pan-India Versys group is absolutely an eclectic mix of people from all fields of life. Airforce Pilots, Commercial Pilots, Merchant Navy, Business, IT organizations, Motorcycle automotive designers and last but not the least there are a few folks who have taken a sabbatical from their work and bought the Versys just to RIDE
Well, One more engineer sitting in front of Workstation gonna join you. Do post the pictures of stickers as where you gonna paste them

Last edited by mobike008 : 13th July 2016 at 15:36. Reason: edited the emoticon from quote
CGB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 14:14   #244
BHPian

Quote:
...We booked the hotel a day before and were all set to ride/drive to Bangalore on July 9th morning...
There was much adventure in your hotel booking also .

Quote:
...Got couple of other BHPian' s interested who wanted to join with their spouses and overnight the plan got firmed up and they would be joining in their rides ( Elantra (Lucifer1881)...
This is the most famous Elantra in India and Bhutan.

Quote:
...Our plan us to leave around 6:30am-7:00am so we that we can reach by 2:00pm right in time for lunch even if we keep a leisurely pace...
Man proposes. Cross wind disposes.

Quote:
...Rohit (lucifer1881) was raring to go and arrived well before time (6:00am) at my home...
I have always been on time since 1999. #truestory

Quote:
...5. There was an instance where a bunch of buffaloes were crossing the road from left towards the divider and I nearly missed one as it came running...
Since I was right behind you when it happened, I can tell you with certainty that it was much closer than you felt it to be. If the buffalo's nasal mucous layer was thicker by a micron, you would have hit it.

Quote:
...Well, even the TSI, Elantra had a tough time as some instances their car too went through mother nature's powerful showcase that day. They too had to grip the wheel hard to ensure the car stays in a straight line...
Not the Elantra. I felt some cross winds on the way back from Bangalore. But the drive to Bangalore was smooth. I knew of the cross winds when you told me of its effects on you during a break.

Quote:
...I opened the fuel tank and it was "DRY"...
I did this in my Padmini once during the good old days. The car ran out of fuel at Panjagutta cross roads in 2004 during the peak traffic time of 6:30pm - when the flyover did not exist. Imagine the ruckus I caused .

Quote:
...We enjoyed a fantastic south indian thali (one of the best in a long time)...
What brilliant thali that was!

Quote:
...We rested for a few hours and then our evening stint with friends started at 7:30pm and went on till 4:00am !!!!!...
Haven't partied this hard since my 20s. Best part of it all was that the wife and I were up and ready for breakfast at 9am the next morning. The youth is not all lost.

Quote:
...So now you know why it took us 9+ hours to reach Bangalore which is 600kms away which normally takes 7 hours?
The journey is more important than the destination. Anyone who disagrees either flies or takes a bus.

Last edited by mobike008 : 13th July 2016 at 15:32. Reason: Editing the emoticons from quotes to make the post look clean :)
lucifer1881 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 14:24   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore Ride Report (July 9th, 2016)_Onward Journey of 600kms
Great trip! The windy episode was surely scary. It was good that you had backup of cars, else that petrol fiasco would have taken a lot of time and stress.

Also loved the windscreen, but it is really HUGE. I wish you good luck in cross winds, hope it fares well. The beak idea is good, do try to put it on.

Is your pillion wearing a chrome helmet? What make is it? Is it available in the market? I know vega used to make a chrome helmet but now it is no longer produced.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 14:37   #246
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to see you are really enjoying the Versys Avi. Really envy you! At a time when most superbikes confined to their parking lots - you seem to be munching more miles in your Versys. Always looking forward to the next trip now

The crosswind part really sounded scary and dangerous. And more dangerous was the fuel getting over. The bike normally starts jerking when the fuel level is low. I am not sure if this is just a feeling ...but when the fuel level is low I have felt that the gear shift also becomes a bit hard (have felt that in my Enfield and RX100)

On the Z800, the fuel indicator blinking is a sign that there is just about 3-4 litres of fuel remaining in the tank. What's it for the Versys?

P.S. The standing pic while riding...is it safe to do that with a pillion? Doesn't it iransfer the weight towards the rear and cause front lift (maybe I am thinking too much)

Last edited by v12 : 13th July 2016 at 14:41.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 15:30   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Would it have helped tacking the cross-winds if you were on a bike with a crouched riding position (like a track bike)?
Ravvs, I tried every trick in the book and from the trade

1. Bend down
2. Open both legs wide
3. Raise elbows

The crosswinds disturbed me so much that I even searched and read an article on it :-

http://motorbikewriter.com/ride-high-winds/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
Nice short crisp write up of what otherwise was a adventure trip in many ways (including the 'hungama' post 7.30pm in Bangalore)
Like Rohit said! It was a mad mad night. Let's stop at that..Haha!

Quote:
While I am no technical expert to comment how your monster size versys performed. All I can say is I was super envious.

The bike in flesh is massive.So much that it almost matched up to the roof of the elantra (no kidding)
Yeah. Isn't it gorgeous in flesh. This bike is meant for big guys like me. Perfect. Smaller folks will look little out of place on it

I did notice you comment about the height matching the Elantra roof

Quote:
My 5.5 inches frame requires a ladder to climb on it

Quote:
Those led lights are super bright and a treat to look at from the rear mirrors of the car
It was nice to use them in the night. Details coming up in the return journey report

Quote:
I must confess I didn't like the exhaust note ,you certainly need an upgrade there
It is pretty docile. But, trust me after spending a fortune on Bonnie silencers and chucking it out. I enjoy the stock sound as loud exhausts will tire you more during long distance riding

Quote:
Kudos to Neera for riding as a pillion
It was indeed an achievement for her

Quote:
Will wait to read your return journey 'versys fan following experience'(specially the London to India via Nepal part)
This was totally hilarious and will come up in subsequent report

Quote:
I for one am a 'Jabra fan' of the bike
I didn't get this? What is a Jabra fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
Ok so Mobike, The God has challenged you for PUIG. Go ahead and get it fixed. And she looks so good in pictures. Great that your wife supported the ordeal.
Thanks CGB. Puig is delivered to home and hopefully will get it fixed in next 1-2 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
Well, One more engineer sitting in front of Workstation gonna join you. Do post the pictures of stickers as where you gonna paste them
Congratulations and Welcome to Versys team. When is it arriving?

There is a risk that you will also keep riding it like i'm riding. So be ready for that addiction

Those stickers first will be on a t-shirt then will be printed for pasting on bike/helmet
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 16:02   #248
sps
BHPian

This thread is absolutely awesome. Coming from a Bonnie owner, people like me who are contemplating buying a bonnie will give a second thought about it and might end up with a versys.
If not for the cross winds how was the pillion ride comfort?
can the pillion footpegs be lowered so that the pillion can stretch leg a little further.
Keep updating this superb thread and the passionate way of presenting things, keeping people like me hooked.
who knows, I might end up buying the Versys.
sps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 16:14   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobike008
Indica (CtrlAtlDel)--who had a separate plan but, same timeframe) with a total of 6 pax and a child. But, the Indica BHPian (Andy) ditched us and drove away early in the morning (he left at 4:00am) and would be joining us for dinner in evening in Bangalore.,
Sorry for that Avi...I had to be in Bangalore by lunch for some personal work.

Aaand....once again I repeat, it's "Vista Quadrajet" mere bhai...as different from "Indica" as chalk and cheese, other than the visual profile...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobike008
6. Believe you me, Indica BHPian (Andy) called in between to warn us of the heavy cross winds as he thought his car punctured as it almost swayed off the road.
yep...it's was scary...I was travelling at around 130-135 kmph when all of a sudden I felt I lost control when the car started swaying towards the edge of the road to the left! I thought I blew a tyre and was excreting the metaphorical baked mud blocks while I regained control and halted the car by the side. When I tried to open the door, I found I could not do it easily - the wind was that forceful and fierce! I somehow pushed the door open with both hands and a shoulder and got out to check the tyres.

Once I realised it was the wind I at once thought of you and Neera on the V!
CtrlAltDel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 19:26   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Since I was right behind you when it happened, I can tell you with certainty that it was much closer than you felt it to be. If the buffalo's nasal mucous layer was thicker by a micron, you would have hit it.
Yo Rohit! You did tell me about this when we stopped next. I have to thank my lucky stars that it was such a close call and nothing happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Great trip! The windy episode was surely scary. It was good that you had backup of cars, else that petrol fiasco would have taken a lot of time and stress.
You bet! If they weren't there I just shiver to think of the problems I would have faced to fetch the petrol.

Quote:
Also loved the windscreen, but it is really HUGE. I wish you good luck in cross winds, hope it fares well. The beak idea is good, do try to put it on
I hope you are reffering to the windscreen that was posted in the previous posts? Because I rode to Bangalore with stock screen

Can't wait to install the new one. The problem after installation is I will get an itch to do another long ride just to test the windsheild

Quote:
Is your pillion wearing a chrome helmet? What make is it? Is it available in the market? I know vega used to make a chrome helmet but now it is no longer produced.
That is my helmet which I bought when I used to own the Bullet. It is still well taken care and was used by my wife for this ride. She hardly sits pillion so that helmet has been lying around for quite a while now

Do not remember the brand/model. Will check and let you know

But, that helmet raised lot of eyebrows during it's heydays

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Good to see you are really enjoying the Versys Avi. Really envy you! At a time when most super-bikes confined to their parking lots - you seem to be munching more miles in your Versys. Always looking forward to the next trip now
Thanks Allen. Yes I see most of the SBK owners are busy accessorizing the bike or spending time talking about the bike on the forum. I believe in just riding as that is where the fun is.

For me weather and distance is a non-issue as long as I can find time from my schedule to ride

You should also ride more often. Take my cue and start off fresh

Quote:
The crosswind part really sounded scary and dangerous. And more dangerous was the fuel getting over. The bike normally starts jerking when the fuel level is low. I am not sure if this is just a feeling ...but when the fuel level is low I have felt that the gear shift also becomes a bit hard (have felt that in my Enfield and RX100)
Yes the windy episode was like a nightmare. I think it's due to the monsoons. Will never ride to Bangalore in this season again

Never felt anything like that. Bike just died on me and it was a real sudden lurch and I felt a big jolt

Quote:
On the Z800, the fuel indicator blinking is a sign that there is just about 3-4 litres of fuel remaining in the tank. What's it for the Versys?
Versys has a 21 Liter tank capacity and I never filled more than 17 litres so I assume the "Reserve" is similar range of 3-4 litres

I'm still trying to figure out how can the bike go " DRY" (scratching my head)

Quote:
P.S. The standing pic while riding...is it safe to do that with a pillion? Doesn't it transfer the weight towards the rear and cause front lift (maybe I am thinking too much)
It is absolutely safe Allen as long as you lean a bit to front and shift that weight in front.

I was doing that for every 50-75kms and it relaxes your back-side and you can easily ride for another 75kms.

I have realized now that I can ride non-stop for minimum of 300+kms on Versys. There are very few bikes that you can do such long distances at a stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
This thread is absolutely awesome. Coming from a Bonnie owner, people like me who are contemplating buying a bonnie will give a second thought about it and might end up with a versys.
Bonnie was a special bike as it showed me how to enjoy a superbike. But, Versys is superior to Bonnie in every single capacity except for the torque delivery and engine note. I loved both these aspects in the Bonnie

I think it's time to share a "Honest and Unbaised" comparison between the Triumph Bonneville and Versys 650

Please expect this post here in next 1-2 days

Quote:
If not for the cross winds how was the pillion ride comfort?can the pillion footpegs be lowered so that the pillion can stretch leg a little further.
My wife till date was avoiding sitting on the bike because of the sheer height. She is petite as you can see from the pictures and had a mindset that Bonnie seat was better as its low and flat and didnt have any of the curves that you see on Versys

She rode with me to Bangalore and Back and must have been pillion for nearly 850kms out of the 1200kms that we did. Now she thinks Versys seat is extremely comfortable and she is now asking me when we are riding together again...LOL!

I'm sure the foot-pegs can be lowered. I haven't explored that yet

Quote:
Keep updating this superb thread and the passionate way of presenting things, keeping people like me hooked.who knows, I might end up buying the Versys.
Glad to know you are enjoying the thread. Good luck on your search for your ideal bike. I found mine and I'm beyond just happy !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
Aaand....once again I repeat, it's "Vista Quadrajet" mere bhai...as different from "Indica" as chalk and cheese, other than the visual profile..
Sorry about that. For me Indica and Vista are one and same...LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
yep...it's was scary...I was travelling at around 130-135 kmph when all of a sudden I felt I lost control when the car started swaying towards the edge of the road to the left! I thought I blew a tyre and was excreting the metaphorical baked mud blocks while I regained control and halted the car by the side. When I tried to open the door, I found I could not do it easily - the wind was that forceful and fierce! I somehow pushed the door open with both hands and a shoulder and got out to check the tyres.

Once I realised it was the wind I at once thought of you and Neera on the V!
Thanks for the warning. Not that it helped much but, we were at least braced and ready for the onslaught !
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 21:40   #251
BHPian

@Avi, Its really scary to know the crosswinds and I can feel how tiring it could be to focus so much all through the journey. It brings back my old memories when I did an adventure on my friend's Bajaj KB-100 in 1997 from Hyderabad to Mumbai. The buffalo scene is scary too, now after reading all these experiences I am getting little scared to go for a big bike.

I am getting envious too reading how you are munching miles on your Versys and enjoying your rides. Now after going through your Versys thread its pulling me towards it over Z800. And BTW, when you get time can you please help me get in touch with 'Driven' or get me introduced to them to have a good deal? No hurry, I can visit them only in 2nd week of Aug.

Thanks
DP
Old 13th July 2016, 23:04   #252
CGB
BHPian

Quote:

There is a risk that you will also keep riding it like i'm riding. So be ready for that addiction
Yeah I am watching up all owners. None are riding less than 1000kms on a trip up and down together ! Having ridden it by myself, I already made up my mind
CGB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 09:45   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of videos taken from phone from the car while we were riding :

mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 14:37   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore Ride Report (July 10th, 2016)_Return Journey of 600kms

Well, the night before was one crazy one with a bunch (10-15) people getting together and painting the town red and we got up leisurely at around 9:30am and ordered for breakfast in the room and just lazed around in the room and headed out at 1:00pm

We waited for another friend to join us (Rohit's friend and his wife) who had come to Bangalore a day before us and was joining us for the return ride in his Safari Storme. We headed out finally around 2:00pm and stopped little after Devenhalli for lunch and after a relaxing lunch we started our journey back from that point at 3:30pm.

And, this time the crosswinds were there and blasting us from "Left Side" but, it was not that bad and I was able to keep up a steady 120+kmph but, it was not a comfortable ride as the situation was certainly abnormally windy

We kept a fast pace through most of the return ride with my wife as pillion right from beginning and she was enjoying every bit of the ride except that I had to tell her to not lean on me as added weight would slow me down.

Any tips on how a pillion should sit during long rides so that both the rider as well as pillion is comfortable in these long journeys?

We had decided when we left Bangalore at 3:30pm that we will stop next at 5:30pm for tea and trust me it was one awesome non-stop 2 hours ride where we covered some serious kms during this period. We then re-grouped around 6:00pm just after a toll-gate as that was easy to slow down and wait for the cars as bikes needn't pay toll

At this point, since i was leading most of the time just before reaching the toll (about 5-10kms), I overtook a jeep (Jonga, if you know this is popular in MH and KA) at a good speed and it was loaded to brim with young fellas and was waiting after the toll booth for our convoy to regroup. We all had regrouped and having tea from a road-side vendor when this Jonga came and parked little ahead of us and the whole bunch came out (6-7 guys)

They seem to be completely smitten and mesmerized with the Versys and all wanted to sit on it and pose for pictures (which I allowed) and asking naive questions related to its Price, FE and where we coming from etc. Rajesh cooked up a story that we took delivery of this bike in London and I was riding from London to India via.Nepal.

They completely believed it and just gaped at this incredulous story and asked how many days it took us ( I replied 25 days..Hehe!) continuously shaking hands and congratulating us etc. Many pictures later they reluctantly left and headed towards their destination (Bellary)

My wife's chrome helmet was a snug fit and she preferred not to remove during our pit-stops and was walking around with helmet on. So, everyone named her "THE STIG" and she did look like that from a distance in that chrome helmet...LOL!

We started from here at 7:00pm and Hyderabad was around 250kms away and our next point to meet was at Hyderabad Airport just outside ORR so luggage can be shifted etc.

This stretch was my favorite for the entire ride, it had become dark and we never met the convoy after this point as I kept a blistering pace and reached the Hyderabad airport point at 9:15pm and after reaching that point called the car folks and got to know they are still some 30-35kms behind.

I decided to head home and wait for Rajesh to arrive home directly

Return ride was certainly more enjoyable than the onward journey as the crosswinds did play spoilsport to some extent but, after Kurnool there was absolutely no crosswinds and this is where the Versys came into being and left everyone behind

LED's Feedback

The LED's performed nicely and even thought it was a 4-lane divided road all through I was very cognizant of the fact that it is bright and was using them judiciously and I would use the high-beam when not much traffic is there and would keep dipping when I want to overtake them

It was an amazing thing that with low-beam on and If I give a pass the cars would automatically move to left and overtaking them was a breeze. It was like a thunder coming on and off when the pass switch is used.

Thanks to them I kept a brisk pace through this night ride which was nearly 250kms with a pillion and was certainly the most fun part of the ride (for me). Though i tell myself that I should not ride at night but, i seem to enjoy riding the motorcycle at night more than day (Experienced from both my recent long rides of Mahabaleshwar & Bangalore). It is really thrilling but, at same time brings in lot of danger

We reached home which was 35kms away at 9:52 pm (Yes, I took a picture). 5:45 Hours to cover about 575 kms with couple of stops by just keeping a brisk pace and not overworking and stressing the Versys out

Unbelievable Comfort of Versys

Below is just a example of how comfortable is the Versys for long rides.

An individual's physical strength and mindset is also important but, I'm far from fit as you can see and if I can do such long rides (thanks mainly to the motorcycle). Many of you more fitter folks can do it with much more ease

Hyderabad to Bangalore : We covered 600kms and didn't sleep and partied till 4:00am that night

Bangalore to Hyderabad: Reached home at ~ 10:00pm and after a shower, I was so fresh that If you ask me to ride again to Bangalore, I would have taken up on that offer without blinking an eye as I was all charged up and super fresh

It's a different story that my wife was crashed and took a whole day to recover (as she was not at all used to sitting for such long distances)..LOL!

Well, it was a fun trip and hope you enjoyed reading through our "Good times with the Dark Knight"

Your's truly !!!

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_2756.jpg

Lunch while returning to Hyderabad

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_2548.jpg

One of the stop after toll-break

Attachment 1528740

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_2567.jpg

This where the London-Nepal-India story was cooked up

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_2576.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_2587.jpg

This is what the trip meter had to tell me when i reached home
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_2676.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_2564.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 14th July 2016 at 16:53.
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 16:35   #255
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
can the pillion footpegs be lowered so that the pillion can stretch leg a little further.
Yes, there is a nice little footpeg lowering kit, both for rider and pillion from motowerk. have ordered for the rider's, as wifey does not agree to sit pillion after we crashed on our anniversary ride to conoor on the machismo in 2008. this is the pillion.

this one is rider'

Quote:
Well, it was a fun trip and hope you enjoyed reading through our "Good times with the Dark Knight"
What a ride, thoroughly enjoyed.
Even we have been experiencing these heavy crosswinds on our weekend rides around Bangalore. Guessing its related to the monsoon season. Could also be the higher average speed, tall posture of the bike, and bit of fairing, windshield etc to catch more wind and multiply the effect. You have done HYD - BLR on the bonnie which is relatively open form, how would you compare the cross wind effect one the two?

nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks