Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2023, 23:31   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Used Superbikes & Big Motorcycles on sale in India

You can not compare pricing to what previous owner would have paid, and what he is selling for now. So he might have got it for a decent price, but can you or him buy it at same price today. The only logical way to think is the current price vs the price seller is asking.

If he is asking 8 and new is 11, price is ideally fair, you can maybe ask him to get it down to 7.5 or ask him to include the accessories, which otherwise is additional cost over 11 you will spend on the bike.
AtheK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 01:01   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilgrim1424 View Post
Asking price 8 lacs plus accessories at additional cost
Do accessories mean crash bars as well? Center stand and all that? Or something more specific? If you can identify what all (if at all that is) apart from the stock bike is included in the 8 lacs, it might also make more sense mathematically.

For instance, the center stand and crash bars can range from 15-25k each. Top rack and sump guards are equally priced too. If these are "accessories" then at least you are clear on overall benefit for yourself and also possibly the seller's reasoning
If however, they are included in the 8L, then you may want to factor that in too when you draw up a comparison between new and 2nd hand purchase.

All the best whichever way you swing! The Wee's a good bike (I'm biased)!
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 15:42   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post

All the best whichever way you swing! The Wee's a good bike (I'm biased)!
Agree with you, am kinda fixated on the V myself

And yes, accessories mean EVERYTHING! Starting from the center stand, all guards and even the extra bulbs! So the 8lacs is for the bare-bones stock bike! Can't argue on pricing much, for its his/her bike. But just thinking if it makes sense for me. And, this not having a clear right or wrong makes it kinda confusing
thepilgrim1424 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 17:08   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Asking price 8 lacs plus accessories at additional cost
Isn’t is simpler to just quote a price for the bike with everything included?
If you decide to not take the accessories do they get removed and is the seller then still willing to sell?
How does one decide the price of used accessories?
Seems quite complicated.
mac13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 18:19   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac13 View Post
Isn’t is simpler to just quote a price for the bike with everything included?
If you decide to not take the accessories do they get removed and is the seller then still willing to sell?
How does one decide the price of used accessories?
Seems quite complicated.
Yeah that's a pretty complicated topic. Some accessories like frame sliders, radiator guard are practically mandatory. Others like exhaust, aux lights are down to preference.

Some people believe accessories shouldn't be counted towards the final value of the bike but I believe they should.

People who want a stock bike should look out for a stock bike rather than look for a bike with a lot of extra accessories that they don't value.
bf1983 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 23:10   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Now, my dilemma is, the current OTR price is about 11 lacs. Back in 2020, I think it was about 9 lacs (BS6 brought in a price hike of about 1.8 lacs if am not wrong). So, 1 lac depreciation for a 3 year old machine ( works out to about 11% for 3 years), plus the additional cost for used accessories, is this justified? Or am I just over thinking?
Orange Book value or government fixed IDV in insurance papers is good way to gauge price I believe. Super bikes resale these rules don't fit ?

I'm thinking about buying superbike and sell it if it didn't workout. If there are such low depreciation I'm going ahead
Old 19th April 2023, 00:16   #277
BHPian

A friend is looking for a sweet sounding bike, preferably an inline 4. It may do one or two outstation trips in a year. His aim is to enjoy riding for a brief period of time, say, the next 3-4 years, before he moves onto the next phase of his life

His budget is 7-8 lakhs. Any suggestions? New or used.
Old 19th April 2023, 04:22   #278
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A friend is looking for a sweet sounding bike, preferably an inline 4. It may do one or two outstation trips in a year. His aim is to enjoy riding for a brief period of time, say, the next 3-4 years, before he moves onto the next phase of his life

If its stretchable to 9/9.5 lakhs then in the 7 - 9.5 lakh range the Z 900s / Ninja 1000s come to mind. The CBR 650 R also should be well within that budget - will be cheap and cheerful to maintain as well but its the smallest entry into inline 4 and doesn’t really have as good a power to weight ratio maybe as the other two. For comfortable longer tours, perhaps the Ninja 1000 is the best bet. Should have enough used options too I suppose since its sold in decent numbers.

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th April 2023 at 06:17.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 20:42   #279
BHPian

Quote:

You have a few options in the used market at the 7-8L range. There is the cbr650 and z800 ofcourse. There is also the gsx 750 and if you go for an older model you have the cb1000 (older version) and even saw a Hayabusa in budget on olx. The cb1000 is a good buy. Has some basic electronic assists and you get a liter bike engine.

If you want new in that budget you can only get a 4 cylinder gas stove mate
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 15:50   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
You can not compare pricing to what previous owner would have paid, and what he is selling for now. So he might have got it for a decent price, but can you or him buy it at same price today. The only logical way to think is the current price vs the price seller is asking.

If he is asking 8 and new is 11, price is ideally fair, you can maybe ask him to get it down to 7.5 or ask him to include the accessories, which otherwise is additional cost over 11 you will spend on the bike.
Hi Athek, are you suggesting that the price depreciation should be compared with the current price of the same vehicle? If the model has not had updates over the years, then this make sense. But if the newer models has more features like BS6 compliant engine, screen upgrades, electronic updates etc., then can you please suggest what should be the approach?
The reason I ask is the used bike prices on olx in Bangalore are usually high even for older models. Prices of recent models are very close to the price of a new bike and the owners would get offended if asked to reduce the price to let's say 85/90% of a new vehicle.
pratik_terni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 16:57   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratik_terni View Post
Hi Athek, are you suggesting that the price depreciation should be compared with the current price of the same vehicle? If the model has not had updates over the years, then this make sense. But if the newer models has more features like BS6 compliant engine, screen upgrades, electronic updates etc., then can you please suggest what should be the approach?
The reason I ask is the used bike prices on olx in Bangalore are usually high even for older models. Prices of recent models are very close to the price of a new bike and the owners would get offended if asked to reduce the price to let's say 85/90% of a new vehicle.
We can not make it a blanket call, but generally the prices of new bikes/cars have been escalating very quickly. I personally will take a hit of around 30-35% of the current price of the bike, rather then a 30% cut on what price I got it for, this is for a 3 year old bike.

For example S1000RR which sells for around 26 lacs OTR today for the latest model, will still sell for around 18-19 lacs in pre owned market, irrespective of what price the current owner picked it up.

Last edited by AtheK : 21st April 2023 at 17:08.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 22:41   #282
BANNED

Quote:
Hi Athek .......
That's a fair point you are making. So, let me address it first. The VStrom 650 after 2020 got a sum total of ZERO new features. No engine upgrade. No frame upgrade. No brakes upgrade. No electronic aid upgrades. No dashboard upgrade. No windshield upgrade. No tyre upgrade. And surely no styling or looks upgrade. The only small difference is that the BS6 bikes have a separate warning light that shows when the battery starts to degrade. In the older bikes, this manifests as an F1 error code that you have to look up in the manual. Other than this, there are absolutely no changes at all in the bike not just between 2020 and now; but even from back in 2017. Hope this clarifies.

Quote:
...Now, my dilemma is, the current OTR price is about 11 lacs. Back in 2020, I think it was about 9 lacs (BS6 brought in a price hike of about 1.8 lacs if am not wrong). So, 1 lac depreciation for a 3 year old machine ( works out to about 11% for 3 years)...

Now, coming to the more pertinent question. If you are trying to make sure that the first owner takes a big depreciation hit; I have to burst your bubble. That simply will not happen now for most big bikes; and it definitely will not happen for this bike. The VStrom is undoubtedly the segment leader and is miles away from its neartest competitor in terms of capability.

See this video at @35:16.

Everyone has understood the merits of the Strom now. Even owners who were initially half-hearted about their bikes have come to realise what a fantastic machine it is vis-a-vis its peers in the segment; and how even if they were to pay twice as much today, they will not get another bike that is as competent as the Strom is. So, no one will really sell the bike unless they are in a crunch; and certainly no one will sell it at a big loss.

Here is a parallel for you to think about. The Innova has evolved over the years with regards to features, comforts and looks. And yet the old, plain looking Innova from 2013 with none of the modern upgrades and some 1.5 lac kms on the odo is going for 8 lac or so today. This would hardly be 30% below its purchase price at that time. Why is this so? Well, it's partly because the Innova is a fantastic and legendary car the merits of which the market knows thoroughly. But, it's more because a new Innova is 30 lacs.

Its the same case with the VStrom. No one will sell an older Strom at a big depreciation hit. More so when the newer bikes have gotten no upgrades at all and cost between 10 and 11 lacs without any of the necessary accessories.

So, if you truly want a VStrom, I suggest you focus on what you really want. Do you want a bike that is problem free and reliable and has some accessories that you need? Or do you want to make sure that the previous owner takes a big depreciation hit? Because if it is the latter you are going to be bike-less for a long time. Look up post # 188 on this same thread.

P. S.

If you look hard, you will find VStroms between 7 and 7.5 lacs. If you dig deeper you will typically find that such bikes have done the entire Leh-Spiti-Zanskar circuit; and probably the full Nilgiris and NE sections too. In other words, the owner has had his fill and is not interested in the bike any more. These could still be good machines because Stroms are good for 1.5 lac to 2 lac kms.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd April 2023 at 04:59. Reason: As requested
mohansrides is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 06:28   #283
BHPian

Thanks for your replies AtheK and mohansrides.
The intent is not to cause a big depreciation hit to existing owners, but to make an informed and a reasonable offer when I talk to someone, instead of lowballing.
pratik_terni is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 07:45   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your replies AtheK and mohansrides.
The intent is not to cause a big depreciation hit to existing owners, but to make an informed and a reasonable offer when I talk to someone, instead of lowballing.
I understand, another point with lot of big bike owners is that most of them really care about there bikes a lot and invariably end up thinking or quoting a little higher then the market value, but still go ahead and make an offer that you think is reasonable. If you talk in a nice way, always start by asking about the bike and get a conversation going rather then just making an offer, you will get a much better reciprocation.

The biggest problem these days is that majority of bikes are with dealers who have already marked up the price by a lac or so then what you would get from owner, so the prices anyway seems higher.
AtheK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 04:18   #285
BHPian

Hello, I am looking for a well maintained 848/1098 preferably low mileage. All the bikes I come across have been abused badly or have some issue with NOC. Any leads regarding the above bikes would be greatly appreciated.

That specific model of Ducati is something I always wanted but never was able to pick it up when they were available new. Would like to pick one up when I still have the chance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks