Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2022, 18:32   #226
BANNED

Re: Used Superbikes & Big Motorcycles on sale in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
To be fair. Most people who want a V Storm want a V Storm only and aren't looking at a Versys...That's why people pay almost 3l extra for the Vstorm over the Versys....A new V Storm sells for around 11l on road and another 1l for extra accessories. So if you can save 40% off a new bike that is sparingly used then that sounds like not a bad deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
..A V-Strom 650 offers a completely different riding experience from a Versys 650, and it’s price reflects this added capability..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
..In case of ADVs, all ADVs aren't built the same. The core of each bike is different and they provide very different riding experiences and capabilities....For example, a buyer seeking to buy a Vstrom and then going on to settle for a Versys, has probably not understood the core and capabilities of either vehicle or is knowingly making a compromise.
This is a bit OT from the topic of finding a used Z650. But, since you guys brought it up; thought I will throw in my 0.02.

So, here's the thing. If after you test ride both, you still buy the Versys, then that is fine. You should absolutely buy the bike you like. But, don't make a decision because you think that the VStrom and the Versys are equal animals; and one happens to be cheaper. That simply is not the case.

For example, many buyers agonise over whether they are going to go off-road and then conclude that the VStrom's added price tag for its off-road capabilities isn't worth it. That line of thinking entirely misses the point. The open secret in the Adv community is that very few riders actually go off-road with their big and expensive Advs. But, many still buy Advs with long travel suspension because whether you want to go off-road doesn't matter; the road will just disappear on you in many places. Sure the surface quality on our highways has improved by leaps and bounds; but there are still big patches when one has to navigate terrible surfaces. Even more important, the city roads, on which most of our bikes spend their lives, are utterly horrid. At least in Mumbai, the surface quality of our big arterial roads is down there with the worst. This is where having an Adv with the big upright seating position and the long travel suspension really pays off.

Personally, I test rode the Versys thrice. I was carrying my cheque book with me each time and had every intention of making a purchase. But, I simply could not get over my hesitation. Then the VStrom was brought to me for a TR. I reluctantly test rode it as I have always maintained that it is THE ugliest bike on the planet. But, thirty minutes later, I had concluded the purchase. Here was a classic case of a machine that was deeper than its looks.

The biggest differentiators between the Versys and VStrom, in my opinion, are all about the fundamentals of motorcycle geometry and engineering. It was only after I TRed the VStrom did I realise what held me back from the Versys purchase.
The low center of gravity of the VStrom was a revelation. And yet, no one had talked about it. Not a single review mentions it. That low CG opens up all sorts of handling possibilities. Throw the bike into a canyon corner and it will stay leaned over even if you move all around the seat. Stand up on the pegs and the bike will feel utterly planted even with the CG having moved up because of the standing rider. The wide handlebar, the larger front wheel, the longer wheelbase and that low CG; that mix is the secret sauce for the VStrom. By contrast, I found the Versys to be top heavy and hard to handle at low speeds.

Then there's the engine. The ninety degree V-Twin engine on the VStrom is a gem. It oozes character and refinement as compared to the parallel twin on the Versys which felt quite bland to me. The VStrom's engine is so well balanced that there are virtually zero vibrations anywhere on the bike - not on the bars, pegs or seat.
People comparing these two bikes on paper are missing out on the essense of these machines. Each has its merits. But, they certainly are not equal and they really have to be ridden to be understood. If after you test ride both, you know that the VStrom is the better machine, and you still make the decision to buy the Versys for budget reasons, then that is a legitimate decision. But, don't equate a decision based on budget to be a decision made on the merits of the machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty6 View Post
...Because, yeah you will get the bike, at a price you will like, but still lose money on it...
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty6 View Post
...So, find the one you love, and get the one you love. And as life would teach you, never be cheap in love.
Brilliantly put. But, you're wasting your wisdom; because these values aren't teachable. You either are in love or you aren't. Simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
.. Covid or no Covid, big bikes are rolling off the showroom floors...
Finally, coming back to the Z650, I stand by what I said earlier. Sure, people are still buying new bikes. But, they aren't changing bikes as often as they used to. Whoever buys a new bike today is likely keeping it for a good 4 to 5 years at least. So, buyers should definitely be patient. But, however patient they are, they are not getting a 1 or 2 year old bike at 60% the cost. That is just not happening.

On that note, here's another anecdote that I forgot to mention in my earlier post. A popular youtuber put his Adv for sale thinking that he will upgrade (I think). But, the combination of the offers he got and the prices of the next upgrade did their thing. Just a month after his bike was up for sale, calls to him returned a curt "bike's not for sale anymore" response. That bike is still being used by him for all his ride videos.

Cheers

Last edited by mohansrides : 19th July 2022 at 18:37.
mohansrides is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 18:43   #227
BHPian

In my case I was lucky to buy the same bike twice ��

The first time I bought the Ninja 650 was when I was scrolling through olx and came across this mint condition 2015 ninja 650 with just 3000kms in 3 years. Contacted the person and met him the next day. Turned out to be a friend of a friend so there was an immediate sense of comfort in the dealing. Heck he started the transfer process without even receiving a single rupee from me.

After 3 years and a lovely experience with the bike the itch to upgrade hit and I was ready for a big adv. Sold the bike AT 30000 MORE than the cost I had paid for it. Although 2 weeks after selling the bike and about to start test rides for the new one, circumstances changed and I had to push the plan to upgrade by about 18 months or so. Imagine my misery. Sold my perfectly good bike and then left staring at a lot of time without riding.

However as faith would have it when I casually messaged the gentleman who bought the bike and he replied "I don't know why I bought it. I have done one ride on it and it's lying in my garage since then. Do you want it back? Will take a small hit on the amount I paid". Went and saw the bike and it was just like I had left it. 178kms since I had given it to him in 4 months. He had not topped up the air nor fuel. Heck, he had not even washed it once! I agreed immediately and brought it back home.

And if there was any other magic left in this story, I bought the bike back on the same day I had originally bought it.

Am now looking at adding another bigger bike to the garage. Maybe a Versys 1000 or a pre owned Harley Fatboy.

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st July 2022 at 18:56. Reason: Fixing punctuation, spacing, capitalising etc.
Hamza123 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 20:18   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza123 View Post
In my case I was lucky to buy the same bike twice ��

And if there was any other magic left in this story, I bought the bike back on the same day I had originally bought it.

Am now looking at adding another bigger bike to the garage. Maybe a Versys 1000 or a pre owned Harley Fatboy.
For a second hand bike, that’s quite a first hand love story.
forty6 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 23:34   #229
BHPian

I agree but its worth it

Used Superbikes & Big Motorcycles on sale in India-img20220608wa0017.jpg
Hamza123 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 06:35   #230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza123 View Post
I agree but its worth it
What a beautiful click. I might be way off the mark but by any chance is this inside Pune university campus. My memory of that place is more than two decades old so cant say.

This isn’t the first time I have heard of buyers wanting their rides back. Similar was the case with a used superbike that my friend had purchased. The seller had a bit of regret later and had requested if he ever decides to sell it again he should check in with him first.
Old 22nd July 2022, 13:53   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
What a beautiful click. I might be way off the mark but by any chance is this inside Pune university campus. My memory of that place is more than two decades old so cant say.

This isn’t the first time I have heard of buyers wanting their rides back. Similar was the case with a used superbike that my friend had purchased. The seller had a bit of regret later and had requested if he ever decides to sell it again he should check in with him first.

No this is old Mahableshwar . Had ridden just before the crazy rains started.

Any opinion on buying a Harley today in India ? Most Harley owners I speak to are very happy with their bikes .
Hamza123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 23:27   #232
BHPian

Hey OP,

There is one that came on an FB group. See, if it works.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2229...3608&fs=e&s=cl
forty6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 23:30   #233
Senior - BHPian

Please tag if you guys come across a clean FZ1.
Old 11th August 2022, 09:50   #234
BHPian

Guys,
I am looking for a buyer for my BMW 1200. PM me if anyone you know would be interested.
My bike thread is here
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post4114228 (Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS)

Thanks,
Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 11th August 2022 at 09:51.
pramods is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 11:11   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Do you intend to say there is no such thing as Depreciation for a superbike/big bike?
Dear iamahunter. Your articulation is spot on and widely covers the perspective of a first time used bike buyer. I am in the market right now for a used Street Twin and it is as confusing as it is frustrating to go through the whimsical sellers. I also hate lowballers quoting obnoxious sums without any logic without even seeing the item. But pricing your bike higher than options available in the market is similar to Honda pricing its bikes.
shabih is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 12:31   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabih View Post
Dear iamahunter. Your articulation is spot on and widely covers the perspective of a first time used bike buyer. I am in the market right now for a used Street Twin and it is as confusing as it is frustrating to go through the whimsical sellers. I also hate lowballers quoting obnoxious sums without any logic without even seeing the item. But pricing your bike higher than options available in the market is similar to Honda pricing its bikes.
What sort of budget did you keep for a used Street Twin and what sort of quotes were you getting ? Will help others get some idea of what it is like buying a used bike in the market today.
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 11:15   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
What sort of budget did you keep for a used Street Twin and what sort of quotes were you getting ? Will help others get some idea of what it is like buying a used bike in the market today.
I was looking at 5 Lakhs price point. Most second-hand dealers are offering less than 10k run bikes between 5 and 6 lakhs. But I am not sure how trustworthy these dealers are. When I talk to individuals that's a different story. Asking 6 lakhs for a 2016 model which has done more than 20k km and not willing to negotiate. Some have really shady stories like the bike is in a different city/state and I'll have to bear transportation etc.
shabih is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 18:03   #238
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,
Wanted to know the going rate of second owner, 18 thousand kms run Street Triple with 50% tyres and incomplete service history. I want to graduate from Ninja 650 to Street Triple and currently evaluating preowned options.

Thank you!
Old 1st September 2022, 19:45   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Hi all,
Wanted to know the going rate of second owner, 18 thousand kms run Street Triple with 50% tyres and incomplete service history. I want to graduate from Ninja 650 to Street Triple and currently evaluating preowned options.

Thank you!
7-8L in Delhi NCR. I was looking for a similar upgrade only a week back.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 21:02   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Hi all,

Thank you!
765s are going for roughly 7.5-8.5 depending on mileage. a 2nd owner should be probably close to 7.
675s probably in the range of 4-5. I don't see any Rs in the market though, only S. Lots of 675s about, but it's a lot less desirable given the infamous power misquoting fiasco, stalling issues and also because now the 765 is available.
doga is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks