Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which MUV would you prefer?
Ertiga 141 32.94%
Innova 226 52.80%
Xylo 73 17.06%
Others please specify 14 3.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2012, 18:24   #46
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Ertiga vs Toyota Innova vs Mahindra Xylo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Nobody seems to be mentioning the 'driveability' of Xylo. I had a test drive of the Xylo, and I found it very difficult to drive. The steering is ok, but the clutch was rock hard and the gear lever throw very long. Changing gears was a nightmare, at least for me. I had a chat with a Xylo owner, who said that clutch/gear is almost the same as the Sumo which he previously owned.

May be I am being too harsh and trying to compare the Clutch/gear of Xylo with that of hatches/sedans? (I haven't driven an Innova or Ertiga).
Maybe it was the TD vehicle with these problems. The clutch is quite smooth and responsive. Gear shifting between 1 and 2 takes some getting used to and is a little difficult on cold starts. Other gears slot beautifully.
Agree on the long throw and that again is a matter of time.

I have no idea about the Sumo transmission.
Old 17th April 2012, 18:55   #47
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The Ertiga is clearly a winner for MSIL. Great product. I just went and saw it.

Excellent value for the typical large sized Indian family. Plenty of space in it along with lots of fiddlies to keep everyone happy.

The only logic of their which seems queer is that the base Diesel variant comes with ABS as standard whereas the base Petrol variant does not. Wonder why?

In the same vein their A Star Zxi comes with Manual Transmission, ABS and Airbags but the A Star Automatic comes only in Vxi trim with ABS, but no Airbags even as an option. Weird logic on MSIL's part.
Old 17th April 2012, 22:29   #48
Senior - BHPian

Well, just got this tweet from Hormazd - Ertiga grabs 10,000 orders within 5 days of launch. An all-new segment has emerged in the Indian car market and how!
Old 18th April 2012, 00:34   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Low maintainence = true.
Cheap maintainence = false.

Cost of spares & general service costs of the Innova are way too much to call it cheap. Innova has a service every 5k kms which includes oil change. Service charges of Innova is a bomb.

+10. Recently got to travel in a Xylo, just after a sprint in my Innova. I would say, low speed ride of Xylo is actually better than the Innova. Its only at high speeds that the Xylo tends to bounce a bit, but not as much as projected over here.
I am very surprised that after owning an Innova for so many years, you still dont know the oil change interval. The oil changes are every 10k kms and most of the 5 k services are one hour service where you can sit in the customer lounge for an hour and collect the vehicle back. I remember paying INR 800 or something similar for such a service. That's not exactly a lot in my view.

If you break the vehicle, you pay. Well the vehicle is a sum total of parts and if the vehicle is 30% or so more expensive than say the Xylo, and maybe 60% or so expensive compared to the Ertiga, the parts will follow a similar ratio. If we mishandle the vehicle, we pay for it. I have NEVER met an Innova taxi driver who cribbed about the service costs of the vehicle. Even the clutch lasts 2 lakh plus kms routinely.

If Xylo is so good , why people dont prefer it, even as a taxi and most of the taxi operators pay 30% more to purchase the Innova? Much as we would like to, the numbers tell a very very different story. And if Toyota badge is the one doing the trick, why does Etios sell less than DZire?

IMHO, it is the vehicle more than anything else and for I do hope that you believe, for once that as a package, Innova is unbeatable!

BTW, We hired a Xylo taxi in June 2010. My daughter threw up on the way and my wife warned me not hire a vehicle that shakes/wallows so much. I do hear that suspension had been finetuned in the newer model. I hope that is the case.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 18th April 2012 at 00:39.
Buffetfan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 05:38   #50
BHPian

Voted for Ertiga. Though it won't be fair to compare Ertiga and Innova, I believe Ertiga has a very good value proposition to the Indian families.
Old 18th April 2012, 12:17   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
I am very surprised that after owning an Innova for so many years, you still dont know the oil change interval. The oil changes are every 10k kms and most of the 5 k services are one hour service where you can sit in the customer lounge for an hour and collect the vehicle back. I remember paying INR 800 or something similar for such a service. That's not exactly a lot in my view.
This is exactly what was said to us when we bought the vehicle.

But the A.S.S. insists to change the oil every 5k kms. They have themselves accepted that Innova requires oil change every 5k kms. I was shown the state of the oil by the A.S.S after 5k kms. It was thick, greasy & jet black.

So we pay for oil change, filter change, etc. every 5k kms.

Infact even my cousin owns an Innova and it is serviced at a different A.S.S. and even he has been advised to change the oil every 5k kms.

Now now, I know many will say that this is unnecessary but this is what is followed by the A.S.S.!

Quote:
If Xylo is so good , why people dont prefer it, even as a taxi and most of the taxi operators pay 30% more to purchase the Innova? Much as we would like to, the numbers tell a very very different story.
I have never said Xylo is better than Innova. All I have said it, it is more VFM & cheaper to maintain.

Quote:
And if Toyota badge is the one doing the trick, why does Etios sell less than DZire?
Simply because the brand 'Maruti' is considered on par with Toyota and Marutis are cheaper to maintain.

IMHO, it is the vehicle more than anything else and for I do hope that you believe, for once that as a package, Innova is unbeatable!

Quote:
BTW, We hired a Xylo taxi in June 2010. My daughter threw up on the way and my wife warned me not hire a vehicle that shakes/wallows so much. I do hear that suspension had been finetuned in the newer model. I hope that is the case.
Maybe. We always hire a Xylo as it is cheaper than Innova & we dont have any issues with the ride quality. That is the reason I feel the whole 'ride quality' issue is overhyped. Yes, the Xylo does roll a lot at high speeds.

Anyways, to each his own.
Old 20th April 2012, 11:05   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The Ertiga is clearly a winner for MSIL. Great product. I just went and saw it.

Excellent value for the typical large sized Indian family. Plenty of space in it along with lots of fiddlies to keep everyone happy.
Was able to visit the nearest showroom and see the Ertiga in flesh finally. First impressions, the vehicle does seem to be a grown up hatch and not a huge people carrier, the driving position is very car like and seems to be well suited to the city conditions. Looks like it can comfortably seat 5 adults upto row 2 (pushed back fully) and then the row 3 would be a squeeze best for small kids. If the middle row is not fully pushed back, then it would make it better for 2 adults in the back.
Was not able to get a test drive since there were swarms of people around already. So will trying getting hands on one over the weekend and most importantly along with my BIL who is the actual buyer and see if he feels it fits their family needs. Have also persuaded him to have a relook at the Xylo but looks like the base versions with the mDICRDe heart would fit the budget. Wondering how would these base variant be (refinement and comfort) for a family use since it has been mostly patronaged by the cab market.

Last edited by girishglg : 20th April 2012 at 11:07.
Old 20th April 2012, 15:16   #53
BHPian

have you not considered the TATA Sumo Grande?

test drive it before shooting it down. i agree it won't have great interior fit and finish - but what it has is acres and acres of space.
engine is quiet smooth - and the ride has improved a lot as compared to the victa.

i've got one for my factory staff - and because of their persistence i am planning to add another one.
Old 20th April 2012, 15:20   #54
BHPian

I would go for Xylo out of the options given. Ertiga is all together a different vehicle as per my view. one cannot compare between Ertiga, Innova and Xylo. Ertiga is a good option for families with 4-5 members as it might fit in the budget compared to Innova and Xylo. With Xylo and Innova one can move out with the whole family 6-7 people loaded with luggage without worrying about engine capacity, this is not so with Ertiga. Carrrying 6-7 people alongwith luggage is going to be a problem with it. But this is my view point.
Old 20th April 2012, 15:29   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Low maintainence = true.
Cheap maintainence = false.

Cost of spares & general service costs of the Innova are way too much to call it cheap. Innova has a service every 5k kms which includes oil change. Service charges of Innova is a bomb.
This is not true at all. I have an innova vx, puchased last year and done 30K till now. Got it serviced after every 5K from Thirty six toyota Faridabad and the oil change is ONLY after every 10K. The 5K services cost usually around 500-600, and somehow i prefer that as i get to enjoy my car super clean after the wash
5K service basically include Air Filter cleanup and Washing and i think it make sense for many diesel cars for longevity.
Old 20th April 2012, 15:37   #56
BANNED

TDed the Ertiga yesterday and i should say it is really a fantastic product and value for money product.but it cannot be compared with innova as there is a slight difference in the segments they are in.

Space wise i rate both innova and ertiga same taking first two rows into consideration,but when it comes to last row and boot space with third row up,the winner is INNOVA!!

Ertiga drives more like a car (easier than swift) and the petrol engine has decent power.

Now i am just waiting GTOs review
Old 20th April 2012, 16:31   #57
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

A flat statement from me - the Ertiga is better than the Xylo for city + occasional highway use. Even the base Diesel variant comes with ABS which is an absolute necessity.
It may not be as large as the Xylo but it is infinitely more ergonomic, better designed and well finished for that price point. I liked it a lot, in comparison to the Xylo. End of the day the Xylo is a crude people mover in todays world despite its recent refresh and the Ertiga seems to have kind of hit the sweet spot in terms of a combination of utility, value, driveability, safety, price and overall appeal, in comparison to the Xylo. However, the last 2 seats are only for kids - no adult can squeeze in there - I certainly couldnt! The last row is best left folded down and used for luggage.
I will venture to say that all these cars that are sold as 7 seaters are really only in name and for psychological comfort value. Practically none of their last rows are useable for long periods by adutls. They may be ok in case of emergency for short hauls but NOT for more than that. Long trips are definitely out unless one has no other option. Of all these 7 seaters, the Innova still continues to rule the roost and I guess it will be that way until something better comes along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Was able to visit the nearest showroom and see the Ertiga in flesh finally. First impressions, the vehicle does seem to be a grown up hatch and not a huge people carrier, the driving position is very car like and seems to be well suited to the city conditions. Looks like it can comfortably seat 5 adults upto row 2 (pushed back fully) and then the row 3 would be a squeeze best for small kids. If the middle row is not fully pushed back, then it would make it better for 2 adults in the back.
Was not able to get a test drive since there were swarms of people around already. So will trying getting hands on one over the weekend and most importantly along with my BIL who is the actual buyer and see if he feels it fits their family needs. Have also persuaded him to have a relook at the Xylo but looks like the base versions with the mDICRDe heart would fit the budget. Wondering how would these base variant be (refinement and comfort) for a family use since it has been mostly patronaged by the cab market.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 20th April 2012 at 16:34.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2012, 16:34   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1881 View Post
This is not true at all. I have an innova vx, puchased last year and done 30K till now. Got it serviced after every 5K from Thirty six toyota Faridabad and the oil change is ONLY after every 10K. The 5K services cost usually around 500-600, and somehow i prefer that as i get to enjoy my car super clean after the wash
5K service basically include Air Filter cleanup and Washing and i think it make sense for many diesel cars for longevity.
My Innova's service bills:

90000 kms service bill : Rs. 13927/-

95000 kms service bill : Rs. 10544/- (This includes a failed starter motor which had to be replaced for Rs. 7000, which is not exactly cheap.) The remaining 3000 bucks was the service charges, which would have been more if I had not insisted that oil change is not required.

My car has a sedimenter light issues, the A.S.S. quoted 40k to repair it!

The Airbag malfunction light started glowing. An airbag cable costs Rs. 9500/-.

The panels are so flimsy that even a small flying stone makes a big dent & repairing that costs 18k...

Car starts belching black smoke, to curb that, we need to spend 8k! This happens every 15k kms on the odo.

With my experience with the car, I wont say the Innova is economical to maintain. On the argument that how do taxi owners prefer the Innova... does any taxi owner take their Innovas to the Toyota A.S.S.?

I have jotted down whatever I could remember... I do not feel that maintaining an Innova is cheap.

So, I would rate the Mahindra & Maruti to be better on this aspect. Please note I am talking about maintainence costs and not the reliability of the vehicle.
Old 20th April 2012, 18:39   #59
BHPian

I think Ertiga is in a segment of its own. Neither an MUV, nor a sedan. MUL could simply have constructed a full size sedan.

Having said that, this is your thread, your purchase so you have asked recommendations between the three.

I don't have any particular choice, but I would stay away from new vehicles just introduced into the market. If I have a vehicle already, I would prefer to wait for long term ownership reviews to come in first.
Old 23rd April 2012, 08:36   #60
BHPian

Quote:
My Innova's service bills:

90000 kms service bill : Rs. 13927/-

95000 kms service bill : Rs. 10544/- (This includes a failed starter motor which had to be replaced for Rs. 7000, which is not exactly cheap.) The remaining 3000 bucks was the service charges, which would have been more if I had not insisted that oil change is not required.

My car has a sedimenter light issues, the A.S.S. quoted 40k to repair it!

The Airbag malfunction light started glowing. An airbag cable costs Rs. 9500/-.

The panels are so flimsy that even a small flying stone makes a big dent & repairing that costs 18k...

Car starts belching black smoke, to curb that, we need to spend 8k! This happens every 15k kms on the odo.

With my experience with the car, I wont say the Innova is economical to maintain. On the argument that how do taxi owners prefer the Innova... does any taxi owner take their Innovas to the Toyota A.S.S.?

I have jotted down whatever I could remember... I do not feel that maintaining an Innova is cheap.

So, I would rate the Mahindra & Maruti to be better on this aspect. Please note I am talking about maintainence costs and not the reliability of the vehicle.
This seems to be really unfortunate. Quite amount of money being spent after every 5K. Not sure if is this is a rare or every case. Till now(30K+) i am somehow fully satisfied with the reliability as well as maintenance and hope for the same in times to come . The only concern(as of now) which i have with innova is with the metal quality which is very scratch/dent prone and was the same case with my swift earlier.

Last edited by abhi1881 : 23rd April 2012 at 08:37. Reason: sentence correction
abhi1881 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks