Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which MUV would you prefer?
Ertiga 141 32.94%
Innova 226 52.80%
Xylo 73 17.06%
Others please specify 14 3.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2012, 23:21   #76
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Ertiga vs Toyota Innova vs Mahindra Xylo

Voted for Innova as well as booked one today. But, it would have been ertiga if i didn't need higher ground clearance, good road presence and decent boot space with all seven seats in place. No tata or mahindra for me till such period they sort out their dynamics as well as become as reliable and niggle free as japanese cars.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 20th June 2012 at 23:23.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 15:50   #77
Senior - BHPian

For me its the Innova any day within the options given or Fortuner, if the options are removed.

I personally prefer quality and reliability to features and gadgets. My Favorite would be the Innova V always. . I have a Santro, which will help me in city commute. Innova is strictly for me for inter-city travel.
Old 24th June 2012, 08:50   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
1) The problem with base variant XUV apart from long waiting period is colour preference - with biege interiors - only Black is available which is very tough to maintain here or else choose any other with black+plum interior on W6 or else pay 15 lac for white W8.

2)Whether it's Cruze or Verna both dont seem to be a comfortable 5 - seater?

One can also have a relook at the updated Tavera Neo3. It has both beige interiors and available in white. The LT has captain seats and is a 7 seater. Have travelled in an ealier Tavera with captain seats and they were extremely comfortable.The ride was also extremely pliant.

Besides they have any upgraded engine now which is high on efficiency. Though it is not a new model on our roads, the plus is that it is tried and tested and comfortable.

Can have a second look which I am recommending my BIL to do as well.
Interior Car View 360 Degree, Chevrolet Tavera 360 Degree Pictures: Chevrolet India
Old 24th June 2012, 09:24   #79
Senior - BHPian

The Tavera is too outdated now. Does not make sense to buy that when there are better cars available.

Also, it severely lacks under thigh support. My legs were paining after a short drive. Yes, i have not sat in the Neo3 version.
Old 27th June 2012, 14:30   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
The Tavera is too outdated now. Does not make sense to buy that when there are better cars available.

Also, it severely lacks under thigh support. My legs were paining after a short drive. Yes, i have not sat in the Neo3 version.

I was mentioning earlier about the 7 seater version with captain seats in the earlier Tavera. They were really very confortable in the second row on a intercity run. Even the second row bench was good for in city rides, however not travelled long distance.

The other thing about Tavera is that the NHV is quite subdued. Again have not personally sat in the Neo3 but with a brand new Sonalika engine under its hood which is BS4 compliant pumping out 80ps of power, it had got a new lease of life with claimed better efficiency as well.
Old 9th July 2012, 22:49   #81
BANNED

This has been an interesting thread to go through! Just read all posts from the first one onwards. I bought the Innova GX in Feb 2012 after being in a confused state for over three months. It was really difficult to make up my mind because if you think of it, the Ertiga (was only written about back in Jan, Feb), Xylo, and the Innova are in their own unique segments. Most customers, I found, already have made up their mind based on the price, and just want to confirm their liking when they go to the showroom. In my case, my wife and elder son have motion sickness. I test drove the Xylo and Innova back to back, with both of them seated in the third row. My wife immediately said, the Innova was way more comfortable at the back. No pitching forward and backward. My wife, though is usually the one to vote in favor of saving some money, this time said if we're buying an MUV (I had sold my 2008 Verna CRDi SX ABS), and anyway putting in 10L on a Xylo, better invest another 4L and get the Innova GX, rather than investing 10L on a Xylo and not being able to use the third row. From a driver's standpoint, I was ready to put up with an approximate steering and longer gear throws if I could save 4L.

Getting back to the present, I guess those who cannot afford an Innova GX (any lower and you don't get 2nd and 3rd row AC's), will straightaway buy the Ertiga. Those who can, will straighaway buy the Innova GX.

Those who had originally planned to get a Xylo for 9 to 10L, might be swayed towards the Ertiga because of the superior (when compared to Mahindra) quality that Suzuki brings to the table. Again, among them those who want road presence and space will still stick to the Xylo.

If the Ertiga is going to eat in to any MUV's share, I think it is only going to be Xylo's - to some extent, not a lot. Otherwise, it is only the sedans who will lose out to the Ertiga!

Just my thoughts!

Last edited by sdmn : 9th July 2012 at 22:51.
sdmn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 00:06   #82

Voted Ertiga. If one is looking for a car that needs to go into narrower lanes/KR market type of places, Innova / Xylo is just too big whereas Ertiga is just the right size. Between Xylo and Ertiga, I found the interiors, city driveability to be a lot better. Haven't driven either on highways so can't comment; Innova on the other hand, has all the pluses except that it misses out on size and price. Overall, it's Ertiga for me.
rbarney is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 18:26   #83
BHPian

Not too much after i voted on this thread, i went ahead and bought a xylo ( a 2 yr old in excellent condition from an acquaintance- E6 variant almost fully loaded ).
Having used it extensively for the past 2 months ( clocked about 4000km and a little over 900km on the logan )
My thoughts now---
if i had afforded innova , i would 've taken it no doubt about that.
about the xylo , it gives me the exact same driving comfort which my safari had given me. the steering is far more precise than the safari, the m eagle is smooth and efficient. ( i am clocking consistently 11.5 +kmpl in mumbai and inspite of getting stuck in horrible traffic everyday vashi - vile parle - goregaon-borivali route) The ride is cushy at times , great on good roads , but the vehicle , rolls a touch too much on bad potholed roads. space is at par with safari ( the innova cant get close - the ertiga is miserly ).
The xylo spares are inexpensive as compared to innova and efficiency is a little better.
the ertiga i found quite lacking in the ride quality nowhere close to either vehicles. and though it handled as well if not better , the setup just didnt feel strong enough to take rigours of bad city roads on a daily basis. the xylo and innova is way too better built than the ertiga.
The NVH of the ertiga is far better controlled but the engine may lack the juice if it fully loaded on a ghat in traffic on ac.
the other 2 engines though nowhere as fuel efficient are more suited to do justice to a people mover specially if its going to be crammed up.
ertiga also doesnt have the space for 6 and luggage. let alone 7 plus luggage.
on the looks front , the ertiga and innova look unimaginative and the xylo looks plain mini bus / van like.
so if i need a true seven seater with reasonable luggage for city and highway runs i would chose innova.
if i need a seven seater with reasonable amou t of luggage and consistently encounter bad roads / rural roads plus city and highway , i take xylo . its the most suv like amongst this lot and more clearance and tougher suspension setup.
and if i need a nice 5 seater with great effeiciency and good luggage space , i would take the ertiga over any sedan.
having said that i would simply like to dump all 3 and take the duster with a terrific diesel engine , most sorted out dynamics , ride , handling , efficiency, ruggedness and nice buch looks for 5 seater suv

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 11th July 2012 at 18:27.
HIGHNOON is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 14:10   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmn View Post
I bought the Innova GX in Feb 2012 after being in a confused state for over three months. It was really difficult to make up my mind because if you think of it, the Ertiga (was only written about back in Jan, Feb)
The question is do you use the third row a lot and if so then it makes practical sense for some one with the given condition. Also curious to know the choice if you were buying the vehicle in the present day (after Ertiga launch). Would you still go for the Innova?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Not too much after i voted on this thread, i went ahead and bought a xylo ( a 2 yr old in excellent condition from an acquaintance- E6 variant almost fully loaded ).

so if i need a true seven seater with reasonable luggage for city and highway runs i would chose innova.
if i need a seven seater with reasonable amou t of luggage and consistently encounter bad roads / rural roads plus city and highway , i take xylo .
and if i need a nice 5 seater with great effeiciency and good luggage space , i would take the ertiga over any sedan.
having said that i would simply like to dump all 3 and take the duster
A nice take on the options available. Now with even the Duster on road, would it have changed your buying decision at this point of time? Also do let us know how is your vehicle faring from the time you bought to the present in terms of FE, total miles clocked (including previous) and maintenance costs involved.

Last edited by girishglg : 20th July 2012 at 14:12.
Old 20th July 2012, 14:46   #85
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
The question is do you use the third row a lot and if so then it makes practical sense for some one with the given condition. Also curious to know the choice if you were buying the vehicle in the present day (after Ertiga launch). Would you still go for the Innova?
Good question . I guess I would have TD'd it for sure, even though I knew in my mind that I wanted an Innova for its space and comfort over the Ertiga. My 6 year old now regularly sleeps in the last row (like a bed, with legs slightly bent) during long drives, and even in 2 hr drives in Bangalore traffic. That matters a lot to me now, because I know he's comfortable and not sitting in an awkward position (neck bent etc.) and sleeping. In this configuration, even with only 4 adults and my son, the Innova is 'fully loaded' space wise. Although the Innova 7 seater is technically only a 7 seater, the space around each seat makes it very comfortable to travel long distances. I'm pretty sure I would have sorely missed this if I had gone for the Ertiga. Of course, if my budget did not permit the Innova, I would have closed my eyes and gone for the Ertiga. I would have compromised on space than reliability and ride in that case.
sdmn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 19:27   #86
BHPian

@girishglg!
if i had the budget or if i had a car with better resale than the logan ( which i own ) , i would've used its resale + funds which went on to buy xylo ( used ) and would've waited for the duster. no question about that and would have taken the entry diesel version which has got most of the useful features i need.
having used a renault product ( or dacia in this case ) i am more than confident of the capability of duster before even a td or market report.
about the xylo, its got pliant ride on great roads. its got as much finesse of a 3 legged frog ( i am inspired by a bbc auto review comment on safari ) as suspension is concerned in low speeds on poholed roads. it sways like a small boat in choppy squall and does a camel like motion in north south axis.
Its got great space , even a little better used than my earlier suv safari.
i get consistent fe of 11 to 12 kmpl in mumbai city with monsoon heavy traffic on AC. and on mumbai pune mumbai road i have actually got 16.8 kmpl which is terrrfic.
The gear shift is nice and short if not very smooth unlike other indian suvs/ uvs. Engine is surprisingly smooth and powerful. it must be more than half a decade old design..... yet quite smooth and nvh is pretty much decent. spares are not very expensive and are now more easily available which i heard was not the case some time back.
the seating ergonomy , interior trims are of good quality if u can discount the brown shade used.
its far less quirky inside than the outside form.
The steering is a rack and pinion affair and is quite precise and well weighted, is far better than the one on the safari.
ac vents location ( front ) and the roof mounted ones are of great help when its loaded.
only if mahindra let the transmission hump be visible the vehicle would have sat lower on the 16 " dia wheels and the dynamics would've beeen quite astonishing. the flat floor is great once you are inside for ingress and exit but has hurt the suspension so much that no matter how much tweaking mahindra does on springs it'll never be an innova.
so inspite of the cushy ride, it doesnt ride well. period.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 21st July 2012 at 19:31.
HIGHNOON is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 21:29   #87
BHPian

I'm in the same dilemma, of late. Looked at these 3 and Duster as well. Ertiga looked very cramped to me. It is best suited for 4 adults+2kids, in my opinion. Xylo is huge, but the TD vehicle is making lot of noises and it also felt as if I'm driving a truck. Innova is just fine, but didn't justify the price tag 16.63L on-road in Hyderabad for 2.5V, given that the 3rd row is cramped. Another let down for me reg. Ertiga and Duster is the waiting time. So, I've to decide between Xylo & Innova. Budget is not a big constraint, though 16.63 for Innova is above my initial budget of 15L (not sure how the price has gone from 15L to 16.6L in one year). Do you guys think that Innova's GC is OK for our bad indian roads? I'll be using this vehicle over the weekends and occational long drives. Didn't consider any petrol variants due to poor resale value. If Ertiga is available in 2 or 3 months time frame, I would have compromised a bit on space and booked one, there by saving a good 6L.
Old 3rd August 2012, 22:02   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nistala View Post
So, I've to decide between Xylo & Innova. Budget is not a big constraint, though 16.63 for Innova is above my initial budget of 15L (not sure how the price has gone from 15L to 16.6L in one year). Do you guys think that Innova's GC is OK for our bad indian roads? I'll be using this vehicle over the weekends and occational long drives. Didn't consider any petrol variants due to poor resale value. If Ertiga is available in 2 or 3 months time frame, I would have compromised a bit on space and booked one, there by saving a good 6L.
1) From what I have read and even experienced, the member just below the front door ( on chassis below A pillar ) is the one which is visible and it HITS the ground. This is known fact. Earlier I thought that it did not, but it does. We recently purchased Innova and we have a small ramp ( actually two of them for taking the car 1 feet above ground in the garden for parking ) to park the car. It would break anybody's heart to park Baleno there as it scraps the most.

Now, when Innova is parked there, if the speed is dead slow, it does not hit, but any higher speed than dead slow would bottom out that particular member.

2) Even on highways with fully loaded innovas, bumps can create a problem.
The differential manages to hit stones/rocks/obstacles when one tries to pass over stones/rocks/obstacles between the two wheels. The rear damper lower mount also manages to touch obstacles.
One of the ramps we have is damaged by Innova's damper mount when we tried to park Innova such that one ramp is in between the track of Innova. This type of damage has never happened with Baleno. But Innova's axle does touch the ramp. Remember that Baleno is much more low slung ( and has a good rear overhang ).

3) On outstation trip, dad confirmed that the front member manages to ground. This was with 2 passengers.

So, overall, IMO the GC is not sufficient.

But between Innova and Xylo, go for Innova is you drive yourself. If you have chauffeur, go for Xylo. Xylo has better rear seat ( middle row ) and better front seats. Better FE also, but the difference is not big. Xylo has got more performance and overtaking grunt, which is good as it actually adds to safer drive.

If the vehicle has to be self driver and budget is not a constraint, buy Innova. Innova has far better dynamics which will allow you to driver a bit faster with safety. In Xylo you can ask chauffeur to drive at 80-90 for long, but in Innova you can drive at 110. After 110, Innova engine starts to make loud sound, as if its resisting any further throttle input.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 12:07   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Do you guys think that Innova's GC is OK for our bad indian roads? I'll be using this vehicle over the weekends and occational long drives.
Hi Nistala, Pick up any photograph, of any tourist destination, including Leh, and the most frequently seen car is the Innova.

They successfully go to all the places, generally filled to the brim with people and luggage. This is ample proof that its GC is clearly sufficient for Indian roads, almost everywhere.

When the Innovas can go to Leh and come back, in hordes, year after year, serving as your family car is absolutely no problem.
Old 4th August 2012, 13:25   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm in the same dilemma, of late. Looked at these 3 and Duster as well. Ertiga looked very cramped to me. It is best suited for 4 adults+2kids, in my opinion. Xylo is huge, but the TD vehicle is making lot of noises and it also felt as if I'm driving a truck. Innova is just fine, but didn't justify the price tag 16.63L on-road in Hyderabad for 2.5V, given that the 3rd row is cramped. Another let down for me reg. Ertiga and Duster is the waiting time. So, I've to decide between Xylo & Innova. Budget is not a big constraint, though 16.63 for Innova is above my initial budget of 15L (not sure how the price has gone from 15L to 16.6L in one year). Do you guys think that Innova's GC is OK for our bad indian roads? I'll be using this vehicle over the weekends and occational long drives. Didn't consider any petrol variants due to poor resale value. If Ertiga is available in 2 or 3 months time frame, I would have compromised a bit on space and booked one, there by saving a good 6L.
Innova is surely asking high premium compared to competition and one feels whether it is justifiable. But there are definite pluses with it as it relentlessly goes on and on through years nigglefree leaving least to bother about other than regular services.

About GC, the GC of Bolero, Scorpio, Xylo all stands at 180 whereas Innova's at 176 a mere 4 mm less. But what works best in favor of Innova is its superb suspension which does not let you bother about bad Indian roads. About offroading, it lacks in that domain due to the longer wheelbase and less approach & departure angles due to the same coupled with pathetic Torque for such a car and such a engine which would be most important factor for very very bad roads (offroading). Still, our Innova has done offroading (so called due to the worst kind of roads faced) in Spiti valley and also many farm roads without without any hickups. Leh, Ladakh routes are relatively simple for any car if handled well but Innova would make better of it providing comfort to the occupants as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks