Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2010, 18:31   #601
BHPian

The palette- how do you do it?

>>>

One thing that I am curious to learn is how do all our photography buffs here manage to capture/present slightly different shades of the colours - the blue of the waters, the green of the land and the white-blue of the sky differently, for the same place, and from the same perspective?

A case in point is BolBolero's post #519 where his three pics of the Urmodi lake have been taken from the same spot and yet the shading of the colours is subtly different. Every buff on this thread has done it. How?

Regards, drive safe
Old 2nd October 2010, 19:57   #602
BHPian

@issigonis sir, this is done using photo editing software. Some of these are free for download, and allow common image manipulation operations like: auto contrast; image cropping; brightness adjustments; hue manipulation; and many more. You can google search for photo editing software, but windows itself contains basic photo editor. Some of the more powerful ones let you do a lot more manipulation of the image. So now what you dint see is what you get
Of course people like BolBolero sir get better pictures in the raw with better control on camera settings. Most point and shoot cameras have preset equalizers for different types of shooting conditions and you could experiment with these.
Old 2nd October 2010, 20:54   #603
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

One thing that I am curious to learn is how do all our photography buffs here manage to capture/present slightly different shades of the colours - the blue of the waters, the green of the land and the white-blue of the sky differently, for the same place, and from the same perspective?

A case in point is BolBolero's post #519 where his three pics of the Urmodi lake have been taken from the same spot and yet the shading of the colours is subtly different. Every buff on this thread has done it. How?

Regards, drive safe
On the contrary one doesn't require photo editing s/w to get different shades of the colours. It's all about exposure and exposure compensations!
Especially when there's a cloud cover, there is lot's of internal reflections as well. Here's optical filters like UV/ CPL/ Gradiated ND etc help a lot.
Especially UV cuts out a lot of UV rays and internal reflections. CPL helps in the same and pronounces the blues of the water and skies. Regarding the ND filters, just have a look at Rudra's exhibition in his leh log.

Post processing also helps.

@AnilisAnil. Good photos there.

@Khoj. Thanks for starting another meet thread. I've put my suggestion there.
Old 3rd October 2010, 18:26   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
@StarVegabond,
If you don't mind, it would be great if you could post some of your snaps of the Kaas trip on this thread also.

Friends,

today afternoon i spent some time experimenting with the images taken during the Kaas trip. Some lessons taught by Laluks seems to have remained in my head. I am uploading here two images as a tribute to these teachings and the teacher.

One panaroma shot of the Kaas range
Drive and Meet: Kaas. Report and Pictures from Pg. 27-kaas-panaroma-3.jpg

Bamnoli backwater view
Drive and Meet: Kaas. Report and Pictures from Pg. 27-bamnoli-landscape-hdr-low-res.jpg

both these are low resolution images.

more in my travelogue thread.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 3rd October 2010 at 18:35.
Old 5th October 2010, 03:57   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
@xehaust,
arey bhai, kitne armaan se tere post ka intzaar kar raha tha to know the name of face cream.
Now, i have to find it myself.
Nice pictures, waiting for more.
Did not take too many pictures, but yes, will see if i can find anymore worthy of being put up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Xehaust, those are great snaps....
Quote:
>>> Xehaust,
Superb photographs and attention to detail. My favourites are Heavenly Horizon, Rays of Hope and 'bewildering sight' - the rich bronze/auburn shade is stunning.
You even managed to capture the logo in the Brute!
No apologies please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Xehaust , awesome snaps, have you edited these using any software..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
@Xehaust,
Lovely snaps buddy. Quite the photographer with an eye for details, that most wouldn't really notice. The captions do full justice to the snaps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
@Xehaust: awesome photographs man !! Looking forward to meeting you again..
Thank you all.

@Parimal - Yes, they have been edited using iPhoto. Very necessary due to the use of my simple point & shoot camera

@Bolbolero - Thank you. It means a lot to me to garner appreciation from a professional!

@SuperSelect - Thank you. We missed you at the meet & yes, looking forward to meeting you again soon.

Quote:
>>>

Regards, drive safe
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostel View Post
@issigonis sir, this is done using photo editing software. Some of these are free for download, and allow common image manipulation operations like: auto contrast; image cropping; brightness adjustments; hue manipulation; and many more. You can google search for photo editing software, but windows itself contains basic photo editor. Some of the more powerful ones let you do a lot more manipulation of the image. So now what you dint see is what you get
Of course people like BolBolero sir get better pictures in the raw with better control on camera settings. Most point and shoot cameras have preset equalizers for different types of shooting conditions and you could experiment with these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
On the contrary one doesn't require photo editing s/w to get different shades of the colours. It's all about exposure and exposure compensations!
Especially when there's a cloud cover, there is lot's of internal reflections as well. Here's optical filters like UV/ CPL/ Gradiated ND etc help a lot.
Especially UV cuts out a lot of UV rays and internal reflections. CPL helps in the same and pronounces the blues of the water and skies. Regarding the ND filters, just have a look at Rudra's exhibition in his leh log.
Very true. The differences arise from Exposure & Contrasts rather than editing softwares. IMHO its all got to do with light. (Speaking of unedited pictures)

Though, it can also arise from the editing softwares as well. (for edited pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Friends,
today afternoon i spent some time experimenting with the images taken during the Kaas trip. Some lessons taught by Laluks seems to have remained in my head. I am uploading here two images as a tribute to these teachings and the teacher.

One panaroma shot of the Kaas range
Attachment 433632

Bamnoli backwater view
Attachment 433633

both these are low resolution images.

more in my travelogue thread.
They are stunning. Do use some basic editing to enhance them even further (though they are stunning as is).
Am attaching a edited version of the second picture.
Drive and Meet: Kaas. Report and Pictures from Pg. 27-bamnoli-landscape-edit.jpg

Last edited by Xehaust : 5th October 2010 at 04:13.
Old 6th October 2010, 19:35   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
They are stunning. Do use some basic editing to enhance them even further (though they are stunning as is).
Am attaching a edited version of the second picture.
Attachment 434344
Hi Xehaust,

thanks very much, the image looks much better now. I saw the images posted by you, they have been really well captured.

i am not into the so-called post processing that much. the only thing i like doing is cropping. I am yet to get the handle on the image enhacement logics. Laluks told me about some stunts like "image stiching and context aware fill" and "Bracketing and HDR", i am still struggling to understand it.

I am still looking at learning basics of how to compose better pictures, understanding about the lighting, right combination of ISO, exposure, focus, and ofcourse how to avoid shake/vibrations.

you can look at my travelogue on Kaas and pl comment on the pictures.
it will help me learn more.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 6th October 2010 at 19:38.
Old 6th October 2010, 21:13   #607
BHPian

I am myself a novice using a compact digicam (point & shoot) but i do like playing around with whatever settings are there on it & then later, enhancing the pictures with basic stuff like cropping, contrast, etc.

Thank you for the compliment & yes, would love to check out the stunning pictures you must have taken & put up in your thread.
Old 7th October 2010, 07:42   #608
BHPian

@SVB
@Xehaust

After returning from Kaas, my mind was swaying around with an old thought of getting a DSLR finally ( probably 500D / 550D ).

Finally decided to buy one but then the angel thought came in, "do I really need one?" as my Fuji S2000 is doing job well (atleast @ Kaas)

I dont wish to divert this thread towards the DSLR thread but just a thought. Apart from this, I am too a part of KWS (kaas withdrawl symptom) vaccination on 10-10-10. Hope to see most of you there.

Last edited by nomadabhi : 7th October 2010 at 07:57.
Old 7th October 2010, 15:29   #609
Senior - BHPian

[quote=nomadabhi;2097108Finally decided to buy one but then the angel thought came in, "do I really need one?" as my Fuji S2000 is doing job well (atleast @ Kaas)
[/quote]

nomadabhi - you're in the right thoughts. What you capture/frame is what makes a picture different. DSLRs have a lot of advantages, but it just does not really need to be a DSLR for life like pictures.

Hows your withdrawal meeting going on?

I am now some where near to Maharashtra border by around 50 odd Kms. Having a relaxing holiday with family.
Old 8th October 2010, 08:42   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
nomadabhi - you're in the right thoughts. What you capture/frame is what makes a picture different. DSLRs have a lot of advantages, but it just does not really need to be a DSLR for life like pictures.

Hows your withdrawal meeting going on?

I am now some where near to Maharashtra border by around 50 odd Kms. Having a relaxing holiday with family.
Yes, finally I found my Kaas pics very satisfactory. The only thought was to get RAW files so that I too would have option to process them. Finally I found out a way between, Fuji HS10 which is a P&S but have ability to capture in RAW + JPEG.

The withdrawl meeting is planned and fixed. Being it a lunch time, all will have more time to enjoy. As planned the place has 4 LCDs of which 1 will be busy processing Kaas Pics (was collecting every single pic from the forum to play there until I dropped my pen drive somewhere).

BTW, I like the pic where you are sitting near lake with your cam. pics taken without saying "cheese" are the best.
Old 8th October 2010, 12:59   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Khoj bhaiyya - It was such a cherished meet, but was too short. We must certainly catch up soon. I loved the way you put up your camera, when we were discussing exposures
Chhotey bhai,

Struggling to come up the Tohesagar slope I was pleasently surprised to hear khoj bhaiyya..khoj bhaiyya.. before I knew we had hugged, spoken a bit and gone our own ways. It was surreal those few minutes but then my main objective of the drive from Delhi was fulfilled.

Now I look forward to our next meeting, could be in Bangalore, maybe in Delhi or then again we might meet in some other picturesque corner of this wonderful land of ours. Untill then Chhotey take care and God bless.

Quote:
Is that another travelogue coming up?
Old 11th October 2010, 17:46   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Chhotey bhai,

Struggling to come up the Tohesagar slope I was pleasently surprised to hear khoj bhaiyya..khoj bhaiyya.. before I knew we had hugged, spoken a bit and gone our own ways. It was surreal those few minutes but then my main objective of the drive from Delhi was fulfilled.

Now I look forward to our next meeting, could be in Bangalore, maybe in Delhi or then again we might meet in some other picturesque corner of this wonderful land of ours. Untill then Chhotey take care and God bless.

Is that another travelogue coming up?

Yes the meet was too short. I definitely would love to meet up and catch up on over a cup of coffee discussing everything under the sun in proper TBHP style.

I am back from my very refreshing trip today morning. I'll put up a few pictures in one of the existing logs.
Old 13th October 2010, 21:25   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Had some work on Saturday so could not manage to come with you guys. I went there on Friday as I dint want to miss this once in a year opportunity. Attached are few of my clicks.
Neoonwheels, Very good captures. Nothing less than valley of flowers in Himalayas.
Old 1st November 2010, 19:43   #614
BHPian

Had finished with the final few pictures i had taken & posted them in the wrong thread due to the title reading KAAS

Here is the link to the final Kaas pictures:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...0-10-a-11.html
Old 17th July 2011, 17:50   #615
BHPian

Re: Drive and Meet: Kaas. Report and Pictures from Pg. 27

Here to updated the thread. Just saw in one of the news channels that Kaas is being closed for public by Forest department. :-( Anyone any ideas about it or is it just for the monsoons?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks