Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2011, 07:49   #31
BHPian

I feel still my query is unanswered. By default we get 2 yr or 1lac km warranty. If extended, 4 yr or 1lac km warranty. This is understood.

If i go for AMC, its 3 yr or 40k km.

If i opt all 2,
7yr or 1.40 lac km warranty? If yes, from when the AMC start? First 3 or last 3 yr? First 1 lac or last 40k km?

Finally, worth opting for extended and AMC?
Old 4th June 2011, 14:24   #32
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Hey Guys i am going to pick up my polo soon. The time fixed with the dealer is 4 pm and i already explained to him that it will take me about 2 hrs to do the PDI.
Old 6th June 2011, 01:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I feel still my query is unanswered. By default we get 2 yr or 1lac km warranty. If extended, 4 yr or 1lac km warranty. This is understood.

If i go for AMC, its 3 yr or 40k km.

If i opt all 2,
7yr or 1.40 lac km warranty? If yes, from when the AMC start? First 3 or last 3 yr? First 1 lac or last 40k km?

Finally, worth opting for extended and AMC?
Both AMC and Extended warranty starts from day 1.

For eg, you buy a polo today, 06 June 2011. There will be normal warranty till 6 June 2013 and extended warranty from 7 June 2013 till 6 June 2015. Thats 4 years. If you complete 1 lac kms before 6 june 2015, your warranty will end the day you lof 1 lac kms. So, all repairs/replacement of non wear and tear parts, if any goes kaput, including labour will be free.

For AMC, that will also start today, 06 June 2011. Your first service at 15k kms or 1 year will be free, so you dont pay anything at 15k kms or 6 June 2012. Similarly 30k kms/ 06 June 2013 second service will be free, and same for 45k/third service, and 60k/fouth service. If the AMC is for 3 years, your service till 45k/3 years will be free, if its for 4 years, your service till 60k/4 years will be free.

Thus, If you have both extended warranty and AMC, both will end max by 06 June 2015. Brake pads are included only in 4 years warranty and that too I guess 1 time.

Its definitely worth opting for Extended warranty, but cant say same for AMC.

This is for both 1.2 Petrol and 1.6 Petrol, I am sure Tdi will be similar.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 6th June 2011 at 01:06.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 11:50   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Changing the wipers though sound like a good option but where to get wipers for Polo that too non OEM .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
Thank you Anirban, you got it right on the dot. I took my car to a local Car Spa and they said exactly the same thing that you have mentioned here. They advised me to change the wiper blades to OEM but that seems impossible.
I havn't tried this myself yet, but plan to do in near future (this week - since the monsoon is approaching fast). I am sure Bosch would have wiper blades available which would match the length of the Polo wipers. I suggest you check with the local Bosch dealer for availability. What you won't get on a non VW wiper is the wind deflector that comes attached to the right side (longer blade) wiper. I am sure you can do without the deflector as most other cars in the <10L bracket does. Absence of the deflectors might slightly increase the wind noise at high speeds.
My past experience with Bosch wiper blades has been much better than the OEM ones in my Swift and the earlier Alto.
sadnabrina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 12:31   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
I havn't tried this myself yet, but plan to do in near future (this week - since the monsoon is approaching fast). I am sure Bosch would have wiper blades available which would match the length of the Polo wipers. I suggest you check with the local Bosch dealer for availability. What you won't get on a non VW wiper is the wind deflector that comes attached to the right side (longer blade) wiper. I am sure you can do without the deflector as most other cars in the <10L bracket does. Absence of the deflectors might slightly increase the wind noise at high speeds.
My past experience with Bosch wiper blades has been much better than the OEM ones in my Swift and the earlier Alto.
I put some thick C-Fold tissue papers under the front and rear wiper blades and let the wipers run for a while on dry windshield without any water or detergent, and sure enough, I could see oily grime and dirt from the blades and the glass as well. This issue is resolved and the wipers are doing a great job now. The screen is now clear and no fogging is seen.
Old 7th June 2011, 10:36   #36
BHPian

Quote:
I am sure Bosch would have wiper blades available which would match the length of the Polo wipers. I suggest you check with the local Bosch dealer for availability.
Thanks Anirban, checked with the local Bosch dealer. Among most brands and models, they have wiper blades only for Skoda Octavia but not any of the VW models.
Omega Man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 10:58   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there an AMC for Vento automatic?
Old 8th June 2011, 11:43   #38
BHPian

Squeaking steering column

In some of the Polos the steering column emits a squeaking noise on rotation. It started in my car at around 12K kms. I complained this during the 1st service (15K km) and the workshop guys applied/sprayed a bit of lubrication after removing the covers. The sound did not go away immediately but was reduced to a great extent. In the span of the next few days the lubrication seeped through and reached the required spots and the sound was gone completely. I have driven for another 3K kms after the service and the squeak has not reappeared.
Old 12th June 2011, 19:58   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen this happen in my Polo as well as other cars I had owned earlier. You seem to have a layer of oil, grease and dirt accumulated on the glass and wiper blades. The blades are unable to apply the pressure required to wipe the grime off and is leaving a thin layer on the surface.

Try cleaning the glass and wiper blades with a car wash solution or some detergent. Then dry the wiper blades off with a soft cloth and the glass with some news print (black and white).
If this does not work then apply a thin layer of vinegar on the glass (watchout - the vinegar can damage the paint surface), let it be there for 15 minutes and then wash off with water and wipe it clean.
During the rainy season, you might need to do this cleaning once a week or more frequently as the need may be. The problem increases if the cloth used by your car cleaner is dirty (not washed with detergent every single day). Unknowingly the cleaner guy transfers a thin layer of grime on to the windshield when he washes the car every morning.

I usually carry the required equipment in the car always and clean the glass whenever I see such a problem.
I had faced this problem with most of the OEM wiper blades. However when I switched to Bosch wipers in my Swift this problem was greatly reduced.

ps. Remember to switch to the "Service" mode for the wipers when you lift them for cleaning. Otherwise you will damage the paint on the bonnet.
Hi Anirban, went for a long drive today (<50kms) and the same issue cropped up - fogging on the windshield. The wipers are doing a good job but as soon as they clear the water, fog appears, and with the wipers in action, the fog keeps getting cleared and re-appearing again.

Today I got off the car to check the problem and was shocked to see steam rising from on top of the hood (bonnet) as it was really hot. While the car is in motion, this steam is directed towards the windshield which creates fogging. In the absense of heat shield insulation under the hood, this is going to be a serious problem.

What are my options, since VW has done away with under hood heat shield insulation. Who & Where do I report this? Its a design change for the sake of cost cutting by VW that seems to have gone horribly wrong. Please advice. Thanks in advance.
Old 14th June 2011, 13:28   #40
BHPian

I am not sure if the fogging on the windshield is due to the steam. True that the bonnet heats up, but the steam from the heated bonnet should not cause fogging on the windshield. It would get evaporated and blown away by the airflow over the bonnet while in motion.
Can you describe the location of the fog? Is it on the lower half of the windshield near the front (below windshield) AC vents? Is there water droplets on the outside of the windshield? Or is it throughout the windshield one the path of the wipers?
In some cases the fogging is caused by the wiper itself - it leaves a very thin layer of water on the glass which gets evaporated a by the time the wiper comes back rendering the glass clear for some time and again forms when the wiper glides on the glass. At least in my car it happens that way often. I have not been able to find out a long term solution to this except of cleaning the wiper and glass frequently. I was thinking of replacing the wipers with Bosch ones. But it seems Bosch does not have Polo wipers yet.

Quote:
Hi Anirban, went for a long drive today (<50kms) and the same issue cropped up - fogging on the windshield. The wipers are doing a good job but as soon as they clear the water, fog appears, and with the wipers in action, the fog keeps getting cleared and re-appearing again.

Today I got off the car to check the problem and was shocked to see steam rising from on top of the hood (bonnet) as it was really hot. While the car is in motion, this steam is directed towards the windshield which creates fogging. In the absense of heat shield insulation under the hood, this is going to be a serious problem.

What are my options, since VW has done away with under hood heat shield insulation. Who & Where do I report this? Its a design change for the sake of cost cutting by VW that seems to have gone horribly wrong. Please advice. Thanks in advance.
Old 14th June 2011, 15:48   #41
Senior - BHPian

+1 to Anirban &
Do check the direction of air throw while the AC is on - if it is directed towards the windshield / recirculation mode (auto type /& which throws air towards windshield) - windshield fogging will occur due to amount of moisture during this period / rainy season and cold air within the cabin. do check the settings.

Heat shield on the firewall side is a necessity but under the bonnet it is not always required (which usually acts as a noise insulation IMO)

Last edited by planet_rocker : 14th June 2011 at 15:51.
Old 14th June 2011, 21:48   #42
BHPian

^^ agree with @sadnabrina. If fogging is limited to lower half of windshield with ac/blower direction towards windshield ? - Polo ac is quite effective and if the inside temperature is too cold it will fog the windshield. Try changing the ac/blower direction.

One option I use to try avoid fogging on the front windshield - switch off the ac, keep the blower on for few seconds, and again switch on the a/c, or change direction of the ac/blower, it helps.

Quote:
In some cases the fogging is caused by the wiper itself - it leaves a very thin layer of water on the glass which gets evaporated a by the time the wiper comes back rendering the glass clear for some time and again forms when the wiper glides on the glass. At least in my car it happens that way often.
Faced the same issue and I agree here, but it is never so foggy to create problems while driving, till date for me.

For steam to continuously fog the windshield, it has to be a long drive and a drizzle rather than proper rain.
Old 15th June 2011, 11:33   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Faced the same issue and I agree here, but it is never so foggy to create problems while driving, till date for me.
The problem with slightly foggy windshield is - during night time driving where the headlights from oncoming vehicles fall on your windshield, it becomes very difficult to see what is in front of you. Especially with the poor stock headlight lamps of Polo it becomes more difficult.

Quote:
For steam to continuously fog the windshield, it has to be a long drive and a drizzle rather than proper rain.
But won't the continuous drizzle of rain cool down the bonnet considerably, so that it stops steaming?
Old 15th June 2011, 21:38   #44
BHPian

Quote:
The problem with slightly foggy windshield is - during night time driving where the headlights from oncoming vehicles fall on your windshield, it becomes very difficult to see what is in front of you. Especially with the poor stock headlight lamps of Polo it becomes more difficult.
I commented for driving during day time. Yes at night even small things make a big difference and with Polo`s weak headlight it is all the more difficult, especially during rain at night.

Quote:
But won't the continuous drizzle of rain cool down the bonnet considerably, so that it stops steaming?
Exactly, during drizzle the steam may appear for the initial few seconds, at most a minute but after that it`ll cool down.
Thats why the below post wasn't clear to me as steam definitely will cause fogging but that would be temporarily and as soon as the bonnet cools down it`ll vanish.

Quote:

BTW, just thought of sharing, as we all know a clean and clear windscreen helps reduce fogging and the below one from SONAX mixed with windscreen washer fluid works very well :

The pic is very bad, anyways its a small bottle (concentrated 1:100) -
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-tbhp11.jpg

=============================

There was an advertisement in the newspaper couple of days back, that 3 yrs AMC is free for Polo.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 15th June 2011 at 22:06. Reason: Addition
AvonA7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 22:53   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly, during drizzle the steam may appear for the initial few seconds, at most a minute but after that it`ll cool down.
Thats why the below post wasn't clear to me as steam definitely will cause fogging but that would be temporarily and as soon as the bonnet cools down it`ll vanish.

That makes perfect sense but makes my problem more serious and complicated. Let me check radiator fluid level first thing in the morning. Why is the engine & bonnet heating up so much?

BTW, just thought of sharing, as we all know a clean and clear windscreen helps reduce fogging and the below one from SONAX mixed with windscreen washer fluid works very well :

The pic is very bad, anyways its a small bottle (concentrated 1:100) -

Thanks Avon
=============================

There was an advertisement in the newspaper couple of days back, that 3 yrs AMC is free for Polo.
Its for Polo 1.2 only & conditions apply.
Answers in bold.

BTW, bought a new safety product for the car. Its a 5-in-1 emergency tool.

1. LED Torch.
2. LED hazard flasher.
3. Seat Belt cutter.
4. Glass breaker.
5. Magnetic base.

Will post pictures soon.

Last edited by Omega Man : 15th June 2011 at 22:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks