Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2011, 00:16   #166
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

No worries. I couldnt find a maintenance thread for the vento, so I've added it to the quirks and features thread.
Old 26th December 2011, 12:29   #167
BHPian

Re: VW latest service notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingolphie View Post
Forgot the attachments earlier
Thanks for this. Now to find out where one can source Krytox. Request anyone to please post if they know where to source this in India.

I am updating as I found out. Available at INtegrated Technologies in Mumbai 27570020. Rs 900 + Tax

Last edited by NevGin : 26th December 2011 at 12:39.
Old 26th December 2011, 17:49   #168

Being an owner of the polo myself, i started advising people not to go for VW since the time i had become aware of the maintenance costs.

First service costs ~8.5k
Now the previous posts in this thread fears me of ~20K for second service...

On a side note, first service for Hyundai i20 is ~3 k
Also owning a Toyota innova for myself, i feel it is much much cheaper in terms of maintenance than VW polo.

VW claims that they charge ~10K for service for once in 15K kilometers whereas other cars cost ~5K for every 5K kilometers. So its cheaper than its competitors.

Prospective buyers please don't fall for the same trick by VW.

Yes its a good car, no denying of it.. but the maintenance costs are a way too high for its segment.

End of the day, as a VW user, i would advice a big "No" for prospective buyers for choosing the brand.
MadhanBabu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 18:24   #169
BHPian

Did some research. Apparently its a dupont product. Would have to ask someone who gets dupont stuff. Dupont is only B2B so we cant go direct.
Old 27th December 2011, 00:11   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhanBabu View Post
Being an owner of the polo myself, i started advising people not to go for VW since the time i had become aware of the maintenance costs.

First service costs ~8.5k
Now the previous posts in this thread fears me of ~20K for second service...

On a side note, first service for Hyundai i20 is ~3 k
Also owning a Toyota innova for myself, i feel it is much much cheaper in terms of maintenance than VW polo.

VW claims that they charge ~10K for service for once in 15K kilometers whereas other cars cost ~5K for every 5K kilometers. So its cheaper than its competitors.

Prospective buyers please don't fall for the same trick by VW.

Yes its a good car, no denying of it.. but the maintenance costs are a way too high for its segment.

End of the day, as a VW user, i would advice a big "No" for prospective buyers for choosing the brand.
The actual cost to service a Polo is ~ Rs 6500 a year including filters & oil sans the wheel alignment and balancing. I'd say that is a pretty good deal considering you are getting a full year of hassle free ownership, don't you think? My i10 used to be serviced twice a year at a minimum or at some really closely spaced intervals (5000 km if my memory serves me right). Right now I do about 15,000 Km a year in my TDI. If I'd done the same in my i10, I would have had to do 3 services in year in the 2nd year of ownership, each costing me at an average of ~Rs 4500. Not to mention tanking up far more often. So net net, the VW suits the pocket much as a matter of fact.

Last edited by NevGin : 27th December 2011 at 00:13.
NevGin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 15:22   #171
Senior - BHPian

Re: Polo Second Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Brake pads are included only in 4 years warranty and that too I guess 1 time.

Its definitely worth opting for Extended warranty, but cant say same for AMC.

This is for both 1.2 Petrol and 1.6 Petrol, I am sure Tdi will be similar.
Hi Gaurav! Excellent effort as usual.

Brake pads are replaced as per schedule, once in 30K Kms. In my case, during my second service, pads were good enough for another 15K Kms. Service personal handed over both Front and Back sets to me. I will change them during my third service.

I prefer to have AMC since it also covers any price hike over a period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Notorious power window problem in Polo. Something to do with the sensitivity of anti pitch mechanism. Nothing to worry.Mostly goes away after a restart or supposed to go away after one software update.
Hi Poloman!

I had similar problems a couple of times. As you mentioned, it was like anti-pinch control getting a false trigger.

I raised the window glass and kept the switch activated for about 5 secs. After that, the problem vanished. Please try this and revert back.

Quote:
Engine oil is to be changed every 15k kms/ 1 year in polo. Top ups may be needed within these 15k kms, say 500 ml every 6-8k kms..
+1 on that. To add a couple of things:
  • 15K Kms oil change is fine if the usage is City60:Highway40. If 90% of the usage is in B2B city traffic, 12K Kms oil change is better.
  • It is better to change engine oil once in a year, even if the car has run less than 5K Kms since viscosity changes with time also.
  • Same logic goes with Top-up's also. One top-up in the mid-interval is enough.
  • While on the Top-up, Air filter can be cleaned and all fluid levels can be checked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Thanks for the reply,i am just wondering if one could use 195\60\R15 in place of 185\60\R15.
I have 195\60\R15 on my Polo. Doing Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
Hi All, got some bad news.

Washed the car yesterday afternoon and left the hand brake pulled by mistake. Car refused to move today. Still immobilised despite several attempts.

Called the VW 24x7 Road Side Assistance. They said a mechnic will be available only tomorrow morning.

All plans for today got canned due to this problem. Please advice.
Start the car and engage first / reverse gear -> Apply accelerator and release clutch -> Jammed brakes will dis-engage with a big thud.

This is what I do. I have got used to it...

Quote:
I am a bit skeptical about the diesel, but somehow I feel, even the 1.2 Diesel also takes 3L of oil.. Fuel tank is 50 L I guess, but tnot sure on this..
AFAIK TDI takes 3.6L of oil. slightly more than the petrol. Practically, Fuel tank is 50+L. I have checked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
Have anyone done the 30K / second service for their Polo 1.2/1.6 Petrol version? What was the cost? I called up the service center to book the 2nd service for my P1.6 and they told me the expected cost would be around Rs 19K!
The 1st service was done around 15K Kms and the cost was around Rs 10K which included all required replacements. I don't think there would be a lot of difference in the 2nd service with the 1st service with respect to the items to be replaced. Then why is the cost so high? I will go to VW tomorrow and find out the details, but till that time if anyone else has done the 2nd service can comment.
Fuel filter and Brake pads are changed during second service. This is not done during the first. So the difference...

I have a query:

I may have to replace my car battery in another 6 months time. Polo 1.6 has a higher rated battery than Polo 1.2
My question is - Can I replace my battery with a higher capacity one? Will the charging circuit take the additional load?
Also, is the charging circuit on Polo 1.2 and 1.6 different?

Thanks in advance!
Old 21st January 2012, 08:42   #172
BHPian

Hi,
I have a polo TDI. I have clocked around 8k KM and the car is asking for an oil change.
1. Is it not a tad bit too early?
2. The closest VW showroom is in Bangalore.I was advised by a not so gentle woman from Downtown VW,over the phone that I should be using only-
"Speshul Magnetic something oil".While I'm sure there is an oil recommended by VW, is there any other brand that you could suggest?
Old 23rd January 2012, 19:47   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate View Post
Hi,
I have a polo TDI. I have clocked around 8k KM and the car is asking for an oil change.
1. Is it not a tad bit too early?
2. The closest VW showroom is in Bangalore.I was advised by a not so gentle woman from Downtown VW,over the phone that I should be using only-
"Speshul Magnetic something oil".While I'm sure there is an oil recommended by VW, is there any other brand that you could suggest?
Please do not use anything apart from the Castrol Magnatec Professional that they have recommended. It is synthetic and not easily available (at least when I bought the top up container)

You have mentioned you've done 8K, but in how many months?
Old 8th February 2012, 18:30   #174
BHPian

Hi all,

Does anyone recommend Oil and filter change at around 2500-3000 kms?

The service interval for Polo seems pretty high at a year - wouldnt oil still needs to be changed after initial run-in?

I have a Polo 1.6 btw, just purchased in Jan 2012.
Old 9th February 2012, 23:09   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Hi all,

Does anyone recommend Oil and filter change at around 2500-3000 kms?

The service interval for Polo seems pretty high at a year - wouldnt oil still needs to be changed after initial run-in?

I have a Polo 1.6 btw, just purchased in Jan 2012.
Oil Top-up at around 7k Kms is enough. Polo's engine is pre-run. VW does not recommend an oil change before the prescribed service interval. Happy motoring!!
Old 10th February 2012, 07:41   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Oil Top-up at around 7k Kms is enough. VW does not recommend an oil change before the prescribed service interval. Happy motoring!!
Oil level drop is seen only on TDI's , no reports on this for the 1.6' s I guess!

Cheers,
Old 10th February 2012, 08:04   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Oil level drop is seen only on TDI's , no reports on this for the 1.6' s I guess!

Cheers,
It is required for all of them - Particularly before the first service. Consumption varies between Petrol and Diesel.
Old 10th February 2012, 10:52   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Oil Top-up at around 7k Kms is enough. Polo's engine is pre-run. VW does not recommend an oil change before the prescribed service interval. Happy motoring!!
AFAIK, the first service and oil change recommended by VW for 1.6 Polo is around 15,000kms.

P.S: Heard the same about oil-change for Alto K10.
Old 2nd March 2012, 23:49   #179
Senior - BHPian

Got 30k/2nd service done of our Polo yesterday. It costed about Rs.8.5k in total. More details can be found here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2700092
Old 17th March 2012, 13:06   #180
BHPian

Hi all!
I have a Tdi trendline version. Its a July 11 car and till now I have clocked around 13k Kms. I just did a routine dip stick check and was surprised to find oil below the desired level.
I went to B U Bhandari Wakad Workshop to have the top-up done. The S A was very casual about the whole issue and said that it is normal to to-up for the likes of VW, Skoda and Audi's. I pointed him the alarming drop in level and he still insisted about only 1/2 lit top-up, But I was not convinced.
He then just checked my VIN and said that there was a campaign for my polo to change the diesel filter in warranty.
I was surprised and asked him that why wasn't I intimated about this change.. he said that this was a soft campaign sort of... But I found this very fishy..
I also asked him to top-up for max 1 lit as I would clock another 2K in just under a month and would have to drain all the oil anyways..
After receiving the car, I saw that I was billed only for 1/2 Lit and the FOC part changed and billed to VW India.
My car was washed and coolant was topped up as a complimentary service.
Total bill Amounted to Rs 485/- Inclusive of VAT.
Overall I can say to all that we should take our cars to A S S once in at`least 6 months to check for these soft campaigns.. otherwise we would miss on it.
Some questions!
Was some oil qty not billed as it would lead to questions about high oil consumption?
And as my 15k service was just around the corner they would not have problem in convincing myself about some part change.
I have a fair judgment about the oil level I saw, Similar conditions on my other vehicles, the oil consumed would be close to two lit. So I am a bit skeptical about my 15K service now. Will keep you all posted.
cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks