Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2012, 17:06   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

My Polo air-con quit working one day. My dad took it to the service center and they said it could be due to it being parked in the heat and cleaned some filter after which dad said it was better. I'm away and won't be able to check the car for a while but is there anything else I can ask my dad to keep a watch for ?

The parking in sun stuff is just FUD since I have parked it entire days in scorching sunlight with no problems
Old 26th May 2012, 21:00   #227
Senior - BHPian

Was it parked outside with the re-circulation mode off? The dry leaves and other dust used to clog the unit rendering the air-con ineffective. Always keep the re-circ mode to "on" to avoid this. There was a similar issue reported by an vento owner too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
My Polo air-con quit working one day. My dad took it to the service center and they said it could be due to it being parked in the heat and cleaned some filter after which dad said it was better. I'm away and won't be able to check the car for a while but is there anything else I can ask my dad to keep a watch for ?

The parking in sun stuff is just FUD since I have parked it entire days in scorching sunlight with no problems
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2012, 22:06   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Most people who live in only-average climates never turn on the recirculation switch, unless stuck in a tunnel full of traffic fumes. VW should certainly not suggest that it is necessary!

Service Cost Report:

Problem: Smashed rear glass (vandalism)

Service Centre: Abra Motors, Ambattur, Chennai.

Cost of parts:

Glass 2,067.48
Sealant 1,800.00

Cost of labour:

including wash and vacuum 2,528.1

Total 6,396.00

We did not ask for the cleaning, but as we did not take or collect the car, we couldn't really quibble this!

It was lazy of us not to take the car ourselves. We had arranged with someone else to do so for us, but they let us down on the collection. Abra returned the car to us by one of their drivers for ...I forget what, a nominal sum.
Old 26th May 2012, 23:11   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Was it parked outside with the re-circulation mode off? The dry leaves and other dust used to clog the unit rendering the air-con ineffective. Always keep the re-circ mode to "on" to avoid this. There was a similar issue reported by an vento owner too.
Oh could be then, its parked in an area where lot of leaves keep falling on the car.

I always use the a/c in recirculation mode only, I find the fresh air mode only lets in the fumes from traffic outside and never use it. I rather lower the windows once in a way when I'm in clear air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Cost of parts:

Glass 2,067.48
Sealant 1,800.00

Cost of labour:

Total 6,396.00

Thats not too bad, labour seems high but parts are priced ok. How long did they take ?

Last edited by bottle : 26th May 2012 at 23:13.
Old 27th May 2012, 00:39   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, that is hard to say, believe it or not, because of confusion and being let down by the person who was supposed to be looking after it for us. It was supposed to one day, stretched into two, but we didn't get the car back on the second day. I'm not blaming Abra for that. Lesson: if you want something done properly do it yourself, even if it does mean two long round trips.

We bought the car from Abra, but I think we will have to go to the White's Rd company for subsequent workshop jobs. If one lives in South Chennai, Ambattur is beyond ...everything!

My wife does the Tamil phone calls: The Abra guys, from what I could gather, seemed quite helpful and reasonable.
Old 27th May 2012, 03:25   #231
Senior - BHPian

One day or even two is excellent , VW Mount Road took 10 days to replace and paint a bumper that they had in stock.

Are you getting the CR70 film redone for the broken window ?
Old 27th May 2012, 11:12   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprised it took as long as ten days. Did you get your paintwork issue sorted. by the way?

I am certainly not investing anything in sun film until or unless it is certain that it won't have to removed! Next investment is cover for the car to avoid this ever happening again. We will build a steel, roofed cover and put a heavy bamboo blind. Will keep the rain off in the monsoon too, so I'll be able to keep the cover on and the car cleaner --- but it will spoil the look of our house and our view of the garden.
Old 27th May 2012, 16:05   #233
Senior - BHPian

My Polo (Feb 2012 TDI Highline) had a wheel lock after it was left with the handbrake engaged,for 3 days. The car was perfectly alright on my way to office(5km), when i was returning i'd parked for an hour after driving 3 kms from my office,later the car wouldn't budge. I called the VW helpline at 11.45pm and by 2.15 my car was on a flat-bed.

The cause was either wrong way of engaging the handbrake or leaving the car with the handbrake for too long. Car was serviced and returned in 5 days from VW! First experience with VW Palace Cross, and they get a thumbs up from me. It took them 2 days to get the warranty approval, but in the end they did a good job.
Old 27th May 2012, 16:17   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
My Polo (Feb 2012 TDI Highline) had a wheel lock after it was left with the handbrake engaged,for 3 days.
That's very unfortunate.

Have they given any instruction about using hand brakes like duration/method?
Old 27th May 2012, 16:20   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I read through the manual and didn't find any. But the mechanics advised me not to engage the handbrake and leave the car idle after driving through water during rainy seasons or after washing the car. I didn't know this so my car had a wheel lock. Nonetheless, VW covered all under warranty, i didn't have to pay anything.
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2012, 16:27   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Polo (Feb 2012 TDI Highline) had a wheel lock after it was left with the handbrake engaged,for 3 days.
The cause was either wrong way of engaging the handbrake or leaving the car with the handbrake for too long.
Quote:
That's very unfortunate.

This has happened to my Polo also. The first time it took place , VW engineers came over to my place and fixed it there itself. The reason for handbrake getting locked is when water enters the wheels while washing or during rains while you have engaged the handbrake. So it gets stuck there. If it happens again, try dis-engaging and engaging handbrake several times before going ahead. And avoid engaging the handbrake if you plan to park the car for many days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Cost of labour:

Total 6,396.00

We did not ask for the cleaning, but as we did not take or collect the car, we couldn't really quibble this!
I'm surprised to see why the VW workshop there charges for cleaning and vacuuming. Every time I have visited the VW Workshop in Mumbai, they've done shampoo cleaning and vacuuming as a complimentary job.
theragingbull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2012, 16:30   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
And avoid engaging the handbrake if you plan to park the car for many days
Is leaving the car in first gear is safer comparatively?
Old 27th May 2012, 16:34   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is leaving the car in first gear is safer comparatively?
Yes, if you park your car on a flat surface.
theragingbull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2012, 16:37   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
And avoid engaging the handbrake if you plan to park the car for many days
Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't know that the car cant be left with the handbrake engaged for more than a day. Learn't my lessons the hard way. However my cousin's i20 is always parked with the handbrake engaged since he parks on a slope, even after washing the car or driving through rains. He's never had a wheel lock-up.

This seems specific to the Polo. The Service manager told me a 'modified' rear brake has been installed in my car. Lets see how it holds up.
Old 27th May 2012, 16:41   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This seems specific to the Polo.
Yes certainly. I have owned good number of cars in past 15 years and always left the car with hand brakes on and never faced such problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks