Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2011, 11:33   #4666
Senior - BHPian

re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Guys,
I need your help. It is really difficult to go through all the pages of this thread. May be the answer is there already...but I could not find.

I have never tried any car cleaning product till y'day.

Now, due to the rains, I bought a Forumla1 wash and wax in order to remove the stubborn dirt marks which do not go away by normal water wash. But, the results are disastrous - no improvement over water wash at all.

Now, I have some questions -
Which is the best product for cleaning these stubborn dirt marks? Where can I find these in Hyderabad, if anyone is aware of?
How to apply the shampoo/cleaning product?
What type of cloth should be used to clean wipe the car after applying the product? I am currently using microfiber cloth.

I will worry about waxing and polishing later but first, need to get my white beauty clean.
Old 7th August 2011, 12:34   #4667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
[/i]@quadra - You might also notice that washing the mf after using it with ONR is much easier and mf sheds dirt readily!
It was my first time when i had a heavily soiled MF to clean. Soked in surf excel for sometime, then using a RIN tikki & that plastic brush (to clean clothes - ragad ragad ke) i did notice that the dirt was being thrown out of the cloth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Now, I have some questions -
1. Which is the best product for cleaning these stubborn dirt marks? Where can I find these in Hyderabad, if anyone is aware of?
2. How to apply the shampoo/cleaning product?
3. What type of cloth should be used to clean wipe the car after applying the product? I am currently using microfiber cloth.
1. I have tried Turtle wax and shine shampoo using 2 bucket technique (details below) & i also tired ONR (optimum no rinse) water-less car wash. I would say ONR is the best bet. Read my post on pvs page..you will know.

2. AFAIK - two bucket technique is the best to clean the car. Simple - one bucket has the shampoo. Second bucket is clean water.
Use a MF (micro fiber) cloth, dip it in shampoo bucket > apply over a panel > dip the MF in clean water > twist MF to squeeze water > dip in shampoo bucket > next panel.

When using water-less car wash (Like ONR shampoo):
Use a MF (micro fiber) cloth, dip it in shampoo bucket > apply over a panel > using another clean MF, wipe this panel. Repeat this for all panels.

Pointers (My 3 cents)
1. Use separate MF to wipe glass & separate MF to wipe body.
2. Do tires first > then roof & down. For tires you would need a thick brush.

Cheers
quadra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2011, 14:19   #4668
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @quadra..
Some of the dirt is really embedded in the surface... and I don't know what it will take to remove those.
I am thinking to try the ONR...seems very impressive...hopefully it will work but the Formula1 stuff was totally useless. Waste of money!
Old 7th August 2011, 15:27   #4669
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks @quadra..
Some of the dirt is really embedded in the surface... and I don't know what it will take to remove those.
I am thinking to try the ONR...seems very impressive...hopefully it will work but the Formula1 stuff was totally useless. Waste of money!
I think if you have dirt which is embedded and is not amneable to removal by shampoo/ONR you might need claying for your car. Claying will remove embedded particles without any damage to paint.

Last edited by Dr.Gagan : 7th August 2011 at 15:31.
Old 7th August 2011, 15:45   #4670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
... the lower part of the car (half doors, front bumper) was splashed with mud, not washed for around 3+ weeks. Black dirt on front bumper (looks like someone lit a stove under the bumper)

The black smoke like dirt on the bumper was another scary thing to clean. Well, ONR kicked it with ease, like a piece of cake or something...man it was twice as amazing this time - am sold out on ONR.
I am curious to know how you have cleaned the MF after it picked up such a lot of dirt.
When I used my MF for cleaning my windshield, the MF got so dirty that I had to give it for washing. Could not proceed to clean the rest of the car since I did not have another MF with me at the time.
Note however, I was using plain water and MF and my windshield was not very bad.
Old 7th August 2011, 22:31   #4671
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I am curious to know how you have cleaned the MF after it picked up such a lot of dirt.
When I used my MF for cleaning my windshield, the MF got so dirty that I had to give it for washing. Could not proceed to clean the rest of the car since I did not have another MF with me at the time.
Note however, I was using plain water and MF and my windshield was not very bad.
Hi , I have used genteal / ezee liquid detergent to clean MF's and it was an easy job. On reco of Nirmal ( UD ) i started using AMWay SA8 liquid detergent. I found both to be equally good . SA8 is more expensive compared to genteal or ezee. You should soak dirty Mf for 10 min or more cleaning it after that is a breeze.
Dr.Gagan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 07:00   #4672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
Can anyone please help me to get ONR at hyderabad? Any contact will be very helpful.

The ebay seller didn't reply to my email and so did automall.

I ordered it from the Auto Mall store in ebay. They were very quick in shipping out the product to me in hyderabad.
Old 8th August 2011, 11:17   #4673
Senior - BHPian

Guys, somebody took a key (or something similar) and put a long dirty scratch on my Red Swift from the rear tail light (scratches on that also) to the front driver's door. Somebody also tried to scribble something on the RHS rear door too.
Being a noob , I wax polished my car on Saturday with F1 Carnauba Wax, but if anything, it actually accentuated the whole scratch.
Any idea how I can get that covered without going for repainting?

Last edited by sajo : 8th August 2011 at 11:18.
Old 8th August 2011, 14:17   #4674
Senior - BHPian

DAS-6 PRO Dual Action Polisher

Finally got the DA polisher from Cleanyourcar.co.uk. One of my friend was travelling back to india and he bought it for me.
Features of the DA.
5 and 6 inches backing plate
Variable 6 speed dial(2.5k to 6.5k rpm)
240v
6 meter heavy duty cable
Canvas Carry bag.

Ordered CCS pads separately thru ebay.
1 orange, 1 yellow and 1 black (All 6.5 inches)

Paid around 120 pounds plus $40 for 3 pads

Few pics.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_0059.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_0060.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_0061.jpg

I could not use it still, will do it this weekend and post the review.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 22:42   #4675
BHPian

I maintained my Innova well, but some zealous fellow brutally scratched my love. Kindly suggest best way other then full paint option. Rubbing doesn't help. See yourself and help guys. I can't cry looking at this any more. And suggest how to get hold of such people who does such things in dark just to tease people.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_0317.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_0318.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_0319.jpg  

Old 8th August 2011, 22:49   #4676
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
I need your help. It is really difficult to go through all the pages of this thread. May be the answer is there already...but I could not find.

I have never tried any car cleaning product till y'day.

Now, due to the rains, I bought a Forumla1 wash and wax in order to remove the stubborn dirt marks which do not go away by normal water wash. But, the results are disastrous - no improvement over water wash at all.
  • Now, I have some questions -
1. Which is the best product for cleaning these stubborn dirt
marks? Where can I find these in Hyderabad, if anyone is
aware of?

> Not sure about HYD, but you can easily get these things through online websites in India

2. How to apply the shampoo/cleaning product?
What type of cloth should be used to clean wipe the car
after applying the product? I am currently using microfiber
cloth.

> Read this thread, else whatever product you buy, do a simple search in YouTube
I will worry about waxing and polishing later but first, need to get my white beauty clean.
Just some suggestions based on experience -

Reading your post, what I understood is quite common to all of us (car owners) .i.e, the lower portion of the car attracts most dirt.

There are lots and lots of options available. However, it doesn't look much of an issue removing these dirt's.

- Get the car cleaned in any good pressure wash cleaner (it should resolve
most of your concern).

- if the above is not able to do the job - use kerosene dipped cloth (once
the car is dry) to rub gently on the spots, it should do the job

- if the above one is still not to your satisfaction, then only go for clay,
shampoo, sealant, wax etc

Reason for the last point is - we can always buy these products, but if the same is not used periodically (based on your post as this is the first time you really considered getting some car cleaning stuff), then doesn't make much sense

All the best and do post some pics of your car once you are done with cleaning, Jazz in White is Beautiful

Last edited by AvonA7 : 8th August 2011 at 22:56.
AvonA7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 01:00   #4677
Senior - BHPian

Many thanks, Avon.

Somehow, I did not get the links in your post.

And you know - there is always a first time . So, want to start it regularly. I don't know why the dirt marks are not going. I am due for servicing shortly, so hopefully those will get sorted out.

I hope kerosene is safe for the paint...the dirt marks did not go away with the shampoo. so do you suggest trying kerosene?
Old 9th August 2011, 07:46   #4678
BANNED

Quote:
Many thanks, Avon.

Somehow, I did not get the links in your post.

And you know - there is always a first time . So, want to start it regularly. I don't know why the dirt marks are not going. I am due for servicing shortly, so hopefully those will get sorted out.

I hope kerosene is safe for the paint...the dirt marks did not go away with the shampoo. so do you suggest trying kerosene?
I would seriously warn you that if you do use KEROSENE the dirt marks would come out but you will damage your CLEAR COAT. Kerosene or Diesel are very strong solvents, but they weaken the paint. One very good pointer for products to use on your car is "what is safe for your face is safe for your car". Would you wash your face with Kerosene? If so, go ahead. Many dealerships use this method before they wash your car, to remove tar spots. It is quick, but it causes damage. While filling petrol if the operator does not clean immediately the surrounding paint, one has observed many times a permanent damage to the surrounding paint.
ThinkBig is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 08:03   #4679
Senior - BHPian

I am a noob when it comes to cleaning cars..
I was skeptical about kerosene..thanks for pointing it out.
I guess claying may be the best option.
Old 9th August 2011, 09:31   #4680
BHPian

^^ I fully agree with ThinkBig and his philosophy "what is safe for your face is safe for your car".
Diesel/Petrol & Kerosene are big no and they really weaken you paint.

Your best bet against the stubborn grim can be good wash with ONR or Klasse AIO which will get rid of majority of your dirt.
You can even try a good cleaner wax such as Collinite-840.

The Klass AIO + Claying is the ultimate como which can rid of any dirt. But don't forget to seal the paint when you are done with it with a nice topping of insulator wax.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 9th August 2011 at 09:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks