Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2012, 12:43   #6631
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
If the car is always driven with windows rolled up
Most of the muck in my car seems to enter on my feet. Whilst this remains most obvious on the mats, it is going to get stirred up, eg by the AC blower.

I left the window open the other night. It was a wet one. Thankfully, the car is under cover, so no water reached it, but mosquitoes did! Inside the car was a cloud of them!
Old 5th December 2012, 13:01   #6632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
I bought a griots DA polisher from US. It works on 110volts and 850watts. Can anyone please tell me what kind of transformer i need to get. Theres a sinuosidal wave and non sinuosidal wave type. Whats that?
You will have to take the polisher to a reputed Electronics store who sell transformers - They would help you. Tell him to check the output of the transformer with a Multimeter before you plugin otherwise it will ruin your purchase in a second.
For the "Sinusoidal wave", only thing i know that its a wave pattern much like how a snake moves. Maybe you can search it over the internet.
Old 5th December 2012, 13:09   #6633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Of the various claying bars available I'd recommend getting either Mother's or Meguiars clay bar. Between the two Megs is better. Not sure where you get it online. I've ordered mine from bringingbest.
Bringingbest is out of stock on Clay Bars and I googled but no luck. Even called up the 3M store but they don't sell it in India.

I have a friend in UK at the moment who will be returning to india soon. I checked on Amazon UK and the Meg's Clay Bar is available for 10 Pounds. Is the price comparable to what BB Impex will offer?
Old 5th December 2012, 13:25   #6634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I have a friend in UK at the moment who will be returning to india soon. I checked on Amazon UK and the Meg's Clay Bar is available for 10 Pounds. Is the price comparable to what BB Impex will offer?
Do check Auto Mall on ebay.in and Ecocar care in Bangalore. They might stock some.

@INR 900 its probably par for the course if you manage to get from UK. I remember paying 1100 for Mother Claying kit (2 clay bars + 1 Showtime Detailer + 1 MF towel) about a year back.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 15:47   #6635
BHPian

Can somebody please post a comparison of Duragloss 105 and Meguiar's Tech 2.0? Both are at the same price point and readily available.
I could also pick up Optimum Sealant at the same price but I don't think there would be any reviews available for that on this forum yet.
Old 5th December 2012, 22:58   #6636
Senior - BHPian

Two coats of Mothers Ultimate Carnauba wax and one coat of Meguiars NXT Tech Wax. Not bad!

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20121205_095828-copy.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 23:25   #6637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Can somebody please post a comparison of Duragloss 105 and Meguiar's Tech 2.0? Both are at the same price point and readily available.
I could also pick up Optimum Sealant at the same price but I don't think there would be any reviews available for that on this forum yet.
If I did need to pick one out of the two, it did be DG #105, as it would be more durable than the Megs Tech Wax. DG is a pure sealant whereas TechWax is a mix of both wax & sealant. In today's environment durability has become more important than glossy looking surface. Paint sealant are improving and someday shall offer same gloss as a carnauba based wax. Current ones are about 80% of carnauba based wax and surface slickness is same.

My views related to Blackfire products that I'm using and having a more than half tin of Collinite 915 lying redundant with me after Blackfire came into picture.

Paint sealants are the way to go.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 01:19   #6638
Senior - BHPian

Ordered a meguiar's DA power system (http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...-power-system/), the compound / polish / wax pads, and a Klasse kit (http://www.autogeek.net/klassekit.html) from autogeek.
Dunno if I would get enough time to try it on my car here in US (I would really like to!), before I return to India sometime early next year.

Last edited by blackasta : 6th December 2012 at 01:24.
Old 6th December 2012, 12:26   #6639
BHPian

Guys which one is a better thing to use, a sheep skin duster or a micro fiber jopasu one?
Has anybody used vicky dot in for car care products? It has quite economy pricing.

What all different types of applicators and pad/towels are required?
1. Washing purpose - (Wash Mitt chenile will be okay)
2. Drying - (Micro fibre towel)
3. Paint Sealant - (Microfibre applicator pad or microfiber cloth or a sponge ?)
4. Wax coat - (Application with pad? and shining with micro fiber cloth?)
Have I mentioned it right?

There a company X-static offering products (similar to Abro) but a low prices? How are the products?

Last edited by Honda Monk : 6th December 2012 at 12:49.
Old 6th December 2012, 12:42   #6640
BHPian

I accompanied a friend of mine yesterday when he wanted to get under body antirust coating at a 3M center. While the car was being treated my friend decided to take a nap in the lounge, I decided to go out to the working area.

Saw the 3M guys, first washing the car clean, then drying it and finally proceeding to apply the antirust coating. There are two types of anti-rust coating available, the one with 2 year warranty is coated with a pure anti-rust formulation and it gave a smooth matte black finish. For a 5-year warranty, they use 3M Body Schutz. which has a thick rubbery black content. The finish gives a very rough but thick layer on the underbody. The 2 year warranty costs about 1400 while the 5 year one costs about 2900 for a small car.

While there on the shop floor, I befriended a helper who was free at that time. After some small talk, he told me that the Body Schutz costs about 800 and is available in some shops in Opera House (Mumbai) and can indeed be applied by anyone at local garage using 60psi air gun. A small car can be done with max 2 cans with some left over for future touch-ups. To verify his claim of price, I manged to see the bottom of an empty can, during the helper's bio-break. And guess what its MRP is 834. Sorry I couldn't click pictures to support my claim.

This got me thinking that if a local garage with the pressure air gun even charges you 500 for labour, you can accomplish the same 3M treatment and save atleast 30% of the costs. Just a thought!!!
arup.misra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 13:19   #6641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Guys which one is a better thing to use, a sheep skin duster or a micro fiber jopasu one?
Has anybody used vicky dot in for car care products? It has quite economy pricing.
@Honda Monk please avoid Vicky dot in. Theres a thread here in the forum thats filled with complaints. Please use snapdeal or other reliable online stores for your purchases.

I got a jopasu duster combo from snapdeal and it arrived in two days sharp with the option of cash on delivery.

For application of products you can get the cheaper applicator combos from bringingbest.(in). Bringingbest.(com) gives detailed explanation of the products. Or you can email Sanjay.

http://www.bringingbest.com/Applicators___Pads.html

There's a costly combo of 4 applicators foams on the same website each meant for different purposes. It costs about 2500 bucks. see the link below.
http://www.bringingbest.com/Applicators_and_Pad_II.html

For drying get the Meguiars water magnet drying towel from a megs dealer. It costs 50rs less than bringingbest.

And for cleaning your wheel wells, you can get soft bristle brushes(not toothbrush) from the hardware stores or foodworld and other such chains rather than going for branded ones.

Guys how long does a bottle of 8oz ONR last? Id only use it as a quick detailer in a spray bottle. Also does the entire of the diluted sample need to be used on the same day or we can store it for later use?

My car has got very dirty in the recent Bangalore rains and most of the shiny finish is gone. :(

El lobo what kind of long lasting paint sealant and wax would you recommend for a light green car like the figo. Will Colinite be good? Also do I need use abrasive clay bar after the regular wash this time? The dirt was really stuck on the paint and required some effort removing it i.e Shampoo and wash mitt.
BBimpex has mothers and to meguiars clays and both are out of stock it seems. Which should I buy and any other alternative places where I can get it?

Also my bonnet got some key scratches which are deep to the grey primer. Showed it to the 3m people and they say it wont go with the DA tool also. What should i treat with atleast to prevent rusting? Please advise.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 6th December 2012 at 13:22.
Old 6th December 2012, 14:20   #6642
Senior - BHPian

Can Karcher and Bosch users post the length of the power cord in their pressure washers ?

I'm buying one soon and the power cord length is very important.
Old 6th December 2012, 16:58   #6643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Can Karcher and Bosch users post the length of the power cord in their pressure washers ?

Shashank where are you buying it from? What prices are you getting for the models? And any freebies from the dealer?

Im also in the market for one but will be buying later this month. From what I hear its better to go for Karcher. Btw moderator Jaggu has a black and decker too. It costs much less and has all the attachments including foam gun. Wish he could throw some light on his experience till date.

There are a few problems that i need to take care of before getting the pw. The only socket available in my basement is the small one and not the 15A one. There is a bulb socket right above my car. Can a 15A socket be connected near the bulb? Also would i need to modify the switch of the bulb to allow 15Amps.
Old 6th December 2012, 17:40   #6644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Jopasu Car Duster any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Guys how long does a bottle of 8oz ONR last? Id only use it as a quick detailer in a spray bottle. Also does the entire of the diluted sample need to be used on the same day or we can store it for later use?
Dilute the ONR in 1:25 for QD which should last long. I did recommend 1:16 earlier but Eco Car Care, Banglore suggested 1:25 for QD and works equally good. You can store the diluted QD for long, no worries.

I have kept it in Megs Quik Detailer bottle which I exhausted previously.

Quote:
El lobo what kind of long lasting paint sealant and wax would you recommend for a light green car like the figo. Will Colinite be good? Also do I need use abrasive clay bar after the regular wash this time? The dirt was really stuck on the paint and required some effort removing it i.e Shampoo and wash mitt.
BBimpex has mothers and to meguiars clays and both are out of stock it seems. Which should I buy and any other alternative places where I can get it?
Currently only one available is DG 105 from BBImpex, which limits our choice and is quite good. Fellow bhpian @arup.misra is using it and recently applied it on his car.

You would require to clay the car. Meguiars is the best. Don't know of other e-shop which would be retailing it. ONR can be used as clay bar lubricant in 1:64 ratio.

Quote:
Also my bonnet got some key scratches which are deep to the grey primer. Showed it to the 3m people and they say it wont go with the DA tool also. What should i treat with atleast to prevent rusting? Please advise.
Wash, clay and use rubbing compound to reduce it and finally apply paint sealant over it. That should do the necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Use a extension cord, that should do the necessary job.

Quote:
Im also in the market for one but will be buying later this month. From what I hear its better to go for Karcher. Btw moderator Jaggu has a black and decker too. It costs much less and has all the attachments including foam gun. Wish he could throw some light on his experience till date.
B&D foam gun is use less and doesn't create foam, word by B&D owners. Most of the attachment would be mostly redundant. A jet spray, dirt blaster & foam nozzle are more than sufficient to clean any surface.

Quote:
There are a few problems that i need to take care of before getting the pw. The only socket available in my basement is the small one and not the 15A one. There is a bulb socket right above my car. Can a 15A socket be connected near the bulb? Also would i need to modify the switch of the bulb to allow 15Amps.
Karcher would work perfectly off a 6A socket, no need for a 16A one. I too use it via a 6A socket via an extension cord of 8 mts.

The bulb would be having a 6A switch and putting a 16A switch/socket wouldn't be advisable on it until bulb is running on a 16A line.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 23:24   #6645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk

Hi Shashank,
I have a Bosch Aquatak 1200. The power cord length is 5m and the pressure hose length is 6m. Anyways I always use an custom made extension box which has a 10m length cable.
Chris_Xtreme is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks