Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2015, 21:32   #9316
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Hey guys, After the onset of the monsoon season noticed a lot of black ants in my car(the non biting kind). My question is how to get rid of them and if using the chemical HIT spray is my only option?
Old 28th June 2015, 23:29   #9317

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Does anyone on tbhp use the Resqtech 8 litre manual washer ? I am planning to get it very soon but want to be sure about it. I know it throws a misty spray but i guess it will be better than using multiple bottles of water as live on the 4th floor and carrying water all the time is a time consuming and a very tiring job.
Don't know about the manual version but i am using Resqtech 28 Litre with rechargeable battery.Though not as good as those heavy duty pressure washers but has enough pressure to do the job of cleaning light to medium dirty cars.
Old 29th June 2015, 18:38   #9318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hey guys, After the onset of the monsoon season noticed a lot of black ants in my car(the non biting kind). My question is how to get rid of them and if using the chemical HIT spray is my only option?
I have the same problem. Except, my ants are red!
My cars get parked under a tree (no, I can't change my parking. Parking is anyways a big hassle in Mumbai, it's a good thing I don't have to park on the streets).
I heard spraying HIT on your tyres would help prevent the issue in the future however, I'm not sure if that's safe for the tires.
Could someone please shed some light on this issue. It really is quite a pain dealing with ants.
dumdum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 20:51   #9319

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
I have the same problem. Except, my ants are red!
My cars get parked under a tree (no, I can't change my parking. Parking is anyways a big hassle in Mumbai, it's a good thing I don't have to park on the streets).
I heard spraying HIT on your tyres would help prevent the issue in the future however, I'm not sure if that's safe for the tires.
Could someone please shed some light on this issue. It really is quite a pain dealing with ants.
It is best not to spray any kind of harsh chemicals on the car or tires. Ants must be coming on your car because there might be something in your car attracting them most probably food items, please check that. Another option is using a jet of water to wash them away. @Dumdum try using a car cover, it might help.
Old 1st July 2015, 08:24   #9320
Team-BHP Support

Just got some goodies for DIY.

The plan is to follow the below steps:

1. Meguiars clay bar
2. Meguiars Ultimate polish for gloss and for minor defect removal. There are very very less swirls so I don't want to use Ultimate compound.
3. Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax. I was using tech wax before this but I got Ultimate wax as reviews suggested it lasted longer. Meguiars online forum says Ultimate wax lasts twice as long as tech wax.

Now I also got some Collinite but not sure if that should be LSP (last step) or should it be Ultimate wax.

Since Ultimate polish has a lot of polishing oils, is it best to use Ultimate wax itself, since it's from the same line? Will Collinite work as well over Ultimate polish?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st July 2015 at 08:28. Reason: typo corrected - god>got
Old 1st July 2015, 09:01   #9321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just got some goodies for DIY.

The plan is to follow the below steps:

1. Meguiars clay bar
2. Meguiars Ultimate polish for gloss and for minor defect removal. There are very very less swirls so I don't want to use Ultimate compound.
3. Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax. I was using tech wax before this but I got Ultimate wax as reviews suggested it lasted longer. Meguiars online forum says Ultimate wax lasts twice as long as tech wax.

Now I also got some Collinite but not sure if that should be LSP (last step) or should it be Ultimate wax.

Since Ultimate polish has a lot of polishing oils, is it best to use Ultimate wax itself, since it's from the same line? Will Collinite work as well over Ultimate polish?
Both Collinite and Ultimate Wax will work well with polishing oils and do not have any bonding issues. However the best 'look' would be with the Ultimate Polish + Ultimate Wax since they are created as synergy products
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 15:27   #9322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_jacob View Post
It is best not to spray any kind of harsh chemicals on the car or tires. Ants must be coming on your car because there might be something in your car attracting them most probably food items, please check that. Another option is using a jet of water to wash them away. @Dumdum try using a car cover, it might help.
I do. This week some worm died on my car, over the cover (not under it), probably fell off the tree. The little rascals got into the cover, all over the car.
Old 1st July 2015, 22:56   #9323
BHPian

Allow me to show off for once

Here's the result of F1 carnauba wax - the yellow tin paste once. It's the Figo in silver, so probably harder to get mirror effect on lighter shades.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20150701336.jpg  

Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 15:24   #9324
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Re: Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
1. With 2-3 microns going off in every polish in a 40 micron clear coat layer, the entire clear coat will disappear in 10-12 applications?

2. And the blockers in the clear coat will deplete in 4 applications?

3. Did you use an ETG to arrive at the figure?

How do they clean the traffic film ?

If so, why does megulars refer to their sealant as wax?
1. Why would you be doing the most aggressive method 10-12 times? I mentioned this is when you are using the most abrasive compounds and not polishes
2. None knows what the exact level of microns for the blockers, its a cleverly guarded secret
3. What a ETG? If its a PTG you are referring to, to be able to measure to the 5% accuracy levels you need a meter worth 50k or more. This is based on most accurate estimates our meter can measure, i do not have the advanced ones
Traffic film is superficial, it can be removed using a paint cleaner too which are zero abrasive polishes. Even a good APC wash can remove traffic film to my knowledge.

Why does meguiars refer as wax- no idea! Even a lot more manufacturers do! However read the label and it will tell you- " combination of wax and polymers etc etc" which clearly means its a blend with higher degree of synthetic content in it( sealants are synthetic and not natural wax). Its more popular to term it as wax hence they follow the nomenclature, sealant does not translate well to most DIY. Even in the pro series meguiars refers to it as "wax"

Last edited by mkh : 8th July 2015 at 15:27.
Old 8th July 2015, 17:06   #9325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Does anyone on tbhp use the Resqtech 8 litre manual washer ? I am planning to get it very soon but want to be sure about it. I know it throws a misty spray but i guess it will be better than using multiple bottles of water as live on the 4th floor and carrying water all the time is a time consuming and a very tiring job.
There is a thread on 'Pressure Washer' and I found mention of ResQtech there. It might help you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3678519
Old 8th July 2015, 19:14   #9326
BANNED

Hey guys,

I have recently got an K10 AMT recently and I need tips to keep the HU facia shining.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-marutialtok1018.jpg

The car had gone for its first service and I can feel a change in the surface. It feels rough.

Can its smoothness and shine be restored?
Old 8th July 2015, 23:11   #9327
BHPian

Has anyone used or is using chamois leather ?
More specifically, the Abro CH550 chamois as linked.

There's another much more expensive chamois I found online, sold in India - will lhave to ook it up again. Priced around 3500-4000 though, does it have any advantage over the waffle weave drying microfiber ?
Old 9th July 2015, 14:43   #9328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hey guys,

I have recently got an K10 AMT recently and I need tips to keep the HU facia shining.

Attachment 1390307

The car had gone for its first service and I can feel a change in the surface. It feels rough.

Can its smoothness and shine be restored?
Anurag,

Faced the similar issue with my glossy HU. Out of the box trick worked well. Applied leftover Proklear nano bond solution on surface. It created a thin transparent layer protecting the glossy surface. Works perfect. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ketan
Old 9th July 2015, 21:29   #9329
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post

Anurag,

Faced the similar issue with my glossy HU. Out of the box trick worked well. Applied leftover Proklear nano bond solution on surface. It created a thin transparent layer protecting the glossy surface.
Thanks Ketan for the reply, but

Not sure what was done as I am not the primary user of the K10. It has got scratched all over and is rough. Feels like one has rubbed the surface using fine emery paper.

Any polish would help?
Old 10th July 2015, 08:29   #9330
BANNED

Re: Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
2. None knows what the exact level of microns for the blockers, its a cleverly guarded secret
3. What a ETG? If its a PTG you are referring to, to be able to measure to the 5% accuracy levels you need a meter worth 50k or more. This is based on most accurate estimates our meter can measure, i do not have the advanced ones
Traffic film is superficial, it can be removed using a paint cleaner too which are zero abrasive polishes. Even a good APC wash can remove traffic film to my knowledge.

Why does meguiars refer as wax- no idea! Even a lot more manufacturers do! However read the label and it will tell you- " combination of wax and polymers etc etc" which clearly means its a blend with higher degree of synthetic content in it( sealants are synthetic and not natural wax). Its more popular to term it as wax hence they follow the nomenclature, sealant does not translate well to most DIY. Even in the pro series meguiars refers to it as "wax"
1. Blocker percentiles are kept a secret to protect the paint industry and the detailing industry. If everyone knew about blocker behaviour, position and percentile content the detailing industry would take a substantial hit. All the same, it's a badly kept secret. Blockers are always within the 25 - 30% bracket, the variations being manufacturer dependent. And as we know, blockers are the first to go with continuous detailing after which the paint starts deteriorating.

2. PTG is the industry derived acronym for the original acronym which is ETG or CTG. And they are available for as little as Rs.1500/-. These provide enough accuracy for the DIY enthusiast. However, they would certainly not suffice for industrial applications as higher accuracy levels are required.

3. A cleaner removes traffic film only by removing the resultant oxidisation on the clear coat. Although not abrasive, a fine layer is removed by the cleaner as that is the only way a cleaner (liquid, clay, cream, 2 in 1's, whatever) can restore shine.

4. Megulars refer to their sealant as wax because the original term "wax" is now a generic term extended to all paint final protection systems. Sealant is a polymer based "wax".
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks