Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2011, 09:05   #46
BHPian

One question I have for TDi owners is do you wait for few seconds for starring the car till the glow bulb appears and them crank the engine? Also for cold starts does one need to wait for few minutes like the petrol engine or just go and keep the RPM below 2000?
Old 2nd September 2011, 10:05   #47
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

Thanks guys for an excellent thread.

Regarding trip meter 2, the manual says that it will reset every 20/100hrs of driving or 1000/10000km. I see, at least on my Vento, that the reset happens for the lower thresholds (20hrs or 1000km). I wonder if these thresholds are configurable; or are they fixed - may be the bigger thresholds are applicable only for non-Indian models?
Old 2nd September 2011, 10:14   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

@sith, the un-numbered trip meter (that toggles with the odo) goes above 1000 km. I had forgotten all about it so i is now at 1600 odd km on my Vento. You can possibly use that for longer drives.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:59   #49
Senior - BHPian

Yes - One needs to wait for the glow plug indicator to disappear from your IP, before cranking the engine. This is true for all diesel engines. In normal operating temperatures this will almost be instantaneous (glow plug indicator will immediately disappear) whereas in extreme cold conditions - it can take upto 10 seconds or more for the glow plug to disappear.

Yes, as long as you keep the revs under control till engine warms up during cold starts, you are absolutely fine. No need for any wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
One question I have for TDi owners is do you wait for few seconds for starring the car till the glow bulb appears and them crank the engine? Also for cold starts does one need to wait for few minutes like the petrol engine or just go and keep the RPM below 2000?
bala80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 14:07   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Yes - One needs to wait for the glow plug indicator to disappear from your IP, before cranking the engine. This is true for all diesel engines. In normal operating temperatures this will almost be instantaneous (glow plug indicator will immediately disappear) whereas in extreme cold conditions - it can take upto 10 seconds or more for the glow plug to disappear.

Yes, as long as you keep the revs under control till engine warms up during cold starts, you are absolutely fine. No need for any wait.
Agree with Bala . I would also like to share one observation regarding the idle rrrrrr noise of the engine - I felt that the noise reduces noticeably if under cold start the AC is switched off and also if the ignition kicks in without the clutch depressed . Just my observation , I maybe mistaken - would appreciate feedback from TDi users.

On the tripmeter , my experience is similar to Noopsters. I had accidentally chanced upon the TRIP 2 while on my drive to Goa on the 1st of May . I had forgotten all about it till I revisited it when Oxyzen raised a query on the same and Nileshch mentioned about it on this thread ( end of August ) - the data had not reset . I am not aware of any reset thresholds or rather programmable reset thresholds - one more for workshop guys when I visit them next
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 14:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

The UI for various functions in VW is anti-Apple. Got to hear the audible alarm with hand brake not fully released today.
Has anyone in Bengaluru got the auto engage of lock fixed (or activated)?
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:00   #52
Senior - BHPian

Never noticed the first part, but technically what say should be true since turning on the A/C puts additional load on the engine.

By the way - why would you need to depress the clutch to start the car as long as it is in neutral? I know of a few hyundai cars, which have this as a safety feature and unless you depress the clutch the car cannot be cranked. I'm not sure if this makes any difference and I have never followed this with any of my cars so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I would also like to share one observation regarding the idle rrrrrr noise of the engine - I felt that the noise reduces noticeably if under cold start the AC is switched off and also if the ignition kicks in without the clutch depressed . Just my observation , I maybe mistaken - would appreciate feedback from TDi users.
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:13   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way - why would you need to depress the clutch to start the car as long as it is in neutral?
Its a "bad" habit , I am scared that I maybe trying to crank the car when its in first gear - the stupid part is that I feel like that even after checking the gear for the Nth time OT - When I was in my teens I had a Silver Plus moped ( anyone remembers it ? Used to be the only geared moped before Hero Puch came in ) , once I kick started it and bang it took off after ejecting me from its seat - guess the incident lives on in my subconscious mind

@ Srishiva - Yes, I have got the auto lock ( speed activated) enabled . Noopsters already had it , Rohaan (aka El Lobo) has also got it enabled alongwith auto unlock when keys is removed from slot and auto lock of boot when speed exceeds 5 kmph ( a bit puzzling feature)

Last edited by souravc : 2nd September 2011 at 15:18. Reason: reply to Srishiva
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:27   #54
Senior - BHPian

I dont see anything wrong with this approach and if anything, this should actually be good. Reminds me of an incident with my ford ikon, I used to park my car and engage only the handbrake. When my friend had parked it after taking it out, he had parked the car with gear engaged (good practice!). It was parked facing a wall pretty close, and needless to say what would have happened when I started it back again. The front bumper went for a toss and could never be aligned properly with the hood again.

The above incident wouldnt have occured if I had practiced depressing the clutch pedal before the start/cross check if the gear lever is in neutral before cranking. Lesson learnt, Now I make it a practice to use both hand brake as well as engage the gear when I park the car.

O.T - I could still see people use bricks/stones as stoppers for parking modern cars and prevent them from moving - Cant help but smile when I see them...

Quote:
Its a "bad" habit , I am scared that I maybe trying to crank the car when its in first gear - the stupid part is that I feel like that even after checking the gear for the Nth time OT - When I was in my teens I had a Silver Plus moped ( anyone remembers it ? Used to be the only geared moped before Hero Puch came in ) , once I kick started it and bang it took off after ejecting me from its seat - guess the incident lives on in my subconscious mind

Last edited by bala80 : 2nd September 2011 at 15:29.
Old 2nd September 2011, 17:11   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Locks with Memory – If one tries to lock the doors (manually or through remote) when one of the 4 doors are opened , the lock does not get engaged however the car does remember the instruction so that once the open door is shut the lock gets engaged without any further press of the manual / remote button – the confirmation of the same is through either the glowing of the “lock engaged” button on the driver’s side or through short bursts of the indicator lamps . I am quoting Noop’s practical example which would help illustrate this in a beautiful way – “Say you need to get shopping out of the back seat and have your hands full to lock the car. What do you do? Simple. Lock the car BEFORE you close that last door (it will lock with a click, not the horn-honk) and then collect your stuff and kick the door closed. It will give you the "locked" horn-honk/blink blink signal! I love this feature since my daughter sometimes dozes off in the back on longer trips and I can just pick her up in my arms and lock the door this way! “
I've tried this feature in morning, it works with other doors except Driver door. It is true? or am I doing wrong.
Can anyone help me in setting-up speed warning. And on which menu should I try this setting this option?

Last edited by Ramsagar : 2nd September 2011 at 17:15.
Old 2nd September 2011, 18:23   #56
BHPian

Quote:
For faster chilling in the rear seats , reduce the front vent flow through using the rotatory rolling knobs provided alongside each of the front vents. This would ensure that the rear vents have a larger volume of (cold) air flowing out which would serve your purpose. No tints and 35 deg outside should not be any problem , the AC is powerful enough - you just have to get used to "sharing' the cooled air
One more tip , if you have parked your car in the sun - lower the windows for a few minutes ( with or without the AC turned on ) , helps in faster cooling. I make use of the remote to roll down the windows while walking towards the car to let the warm air escape , run the AC for a couple of minutes before rolling up the windows. Since you do not have tints , it would help you.
cheers
Have noticed that sometimes even with reducing the front vents the rear seat cooling is not enough - can this be a rodent issue (chewing some wires)? If yes, then which wire do I check? I have a Jetta.
Old 2nd September 2011, 19:43   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
I've tried this feature in morning, it works with other doors except Driver door. It is true? or am I doing wrong.
Can anyone help me in setting-up speed warning. And on which menu should I try this setting this option?
It won't work unless you close the driver door because the lock does not get armed unless the driver door is closed ( you can try manually locking or with the remote lock while keeping the driver's side door open , you won't hear the click )

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghosht View Post
Have noticed that sometimes even with reducing the front vents the rear seat cooling is not enough - can this be a rodent issue (chewing some wires)? If yes, then which wire do I check? I have a Jetta.
Well, as you would note that the suggested balance is between the front blower and the rear blower - the inherent assumption is that there is a constant volumed of air that gets distributed across the front and the rear vents . You have to differentiate between "cooling" and "air flow" first. If the air flow is the issue then partially shutting off the front blowers is a solution. If its cooling then there maybe other causes such as faulty electricals (due to chewed wires,etc) leaking cfc (cooling gas) or even a malfunctioning valve in the ac setup which reduces the cooling effect. This would show up even in the front rather than only in the back. Hope I made sense here. Let me know which one it is
Old 3rd September 2011, 09:09   #58
BHPian

Folks, here are some interesting tidbits from the Vento manual I found interesting enough. You might have read these but thought I'll share these with those who have not been through the manual.

Restoring One-touch function of power windows.

Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks-img_0705.jpg

Air re-circulation is switched on when reversing.

Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks-img_0706.jpg

Run the car for 2 minutes after long drives

Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks-img_0707.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Here you are --

Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks-img_0704small2.jpg
nileshch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 11:50   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way - why would you need to depress the clutch to start the car as long as it is in neutral?
Logically You should.
Even if the gear is in neutral, if you dont depres the clutch (or keep it engaged) the starter motor will rotate the engine, flywheel, clutch, and the input shaft of transmission. Incase you depress the clutch it will not rotate the clutch and input shaft. Thus less load on starter motor. Not much but still a good practise.
Old 3rd September 2011, 22:16   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Incase you depress the clutch it will not rotate the clutch and input shaft. Thus less load on starter motor. Not much but still a good practise.
Shouldn't that translate to marginally quieter cold start rather than a coarser one ? My experience, as i mentioned, is complete opposite

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks