Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2011, 13:20   #166
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Thats something new - I thought that it gets reset only when the button is held pressed for a few seconds or after a few months / a very long distance is covered . As you would note , all qualitative measure we lack any quantitative measure .
Fuel indicator lamp being a trigger for reset is a new thing
Agreed. That's why I wonder what triggered the reset within a weeks time itself. I am sure there definitely will be a trigger apart from the hard press like the timebound one for MID1.
Old 3rd November 2011, 14:45   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
When does MID2 figured get reset? Is it distance, fuel or time bound?

Yesterday I observed that when the fuel pump indicator came on the MID2 data also got reset. I am not sure if its a coincidence. But a thing to look for when the fuel pump indicator comes on next time. I had planned to use that data for entire trip and realized that it got reset on its own within a week (900+kms). I have remembered seeing it retain the data for more than 2 weeks initially.
What a co-incidence - mine got reset too on its own - this was in delhi.

I was planning to put up a post for this, but you beat me to it. Nothing related to fuel indicator, btw.
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:12   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
As you would note , all qualitative measure we lack any quantitative measure.
Fuel indicator lamp being a trigger for reset is a new thing
There is definitely a quantitative measure, mentioned in the manual. I had posted about this a while ago --

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2490220

To summarise, MID2 resets after:
  1. Time: Any number of individual journeys of 19hours 59 minutes each or a total single journey of 99 hours & 59 minutes
  2. Distance: Any number of individual journeys of 1999.9km each or single journey of 9999kms.

Where each journey is calculated as a separate journey if the car stops and starts again within 2 hours of stopping.

Quote:
I had planned to use that data for entire trip and realized that it got reset on its own within a week (900+kms). I have remembered seeing it retain the data for more than 2 weeks initially.
Use the main trip meter for all long journeys with multiple long stops. This is the one accessible through the buttons on the MID console.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:16   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
To summarise, MID2 resets after:
  1. Time: Any number of individual journeys of 19hours 59 minutes each or a total single journey of 99 hours & 59 minutes
  2. Distance: Any number of individual journeys of 1999.9km each or single journey of 9999kms.
Thanks Nilesh. In my case, I did not cross 19 hr 59 minutes nor 1999.9 KM as my car odo itself says 1450 kms

Also didn't get what you mean by the main trip meter?
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:51   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Nilesh. In my case, I did not cross 19 hr 59 minutes nor 1999.9 KM as my car odo itself says 1450 kms
Well, then that's wierd!

Quote:
On your main information display, you can switch between the odometer display and the main trip meter using the SET button. You can reset this main trip meter by long pressing the SET button.

Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks-capture.jpg
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:10   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Maybe you completed 100 hours of total drive time or 99 hours 59 min to be precise , is that a possibility ?
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:10   #172
BHPian

Actually I am also using this main trip meter only.
The other one's are confusing. The only problem with this one is that either you can see this or total mileage of the car.
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:22   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe you completed 100 hours of total drive time or 99 hours 59 min to be precise , is that a possibility ?
Actually I reset the counter before I started my trip. But total drive time of 99 hrs 59 mins since I took the car from the showroom is a possibility. Will be interesting to see Ninja's observation as well.
Old 7th November 2011, 03:05   #174
BHPian

Quote:

Yesterday I observed that when the fuel pump indicator came on the MID2 data also got reset. I am not sure if its a coincidence. But a thing to look for when the fuel pump indicator comes on next time. I had planned to use that data for entire trip and realized that it got reset on its own within a week (900+kms). I have remembered seeing it retain the data for more than 2 weeks initially.
This had occured to me too!. MID2 got reset when I was refueling.
Another strange incident. All new cars comes with a blue cover over the instrument panel. I had removed them only after few days. Once I did that, all 3 trip meters got reset (MID1, MID2 and Trip meter). Anyone experienced the same?
Old 7th November 2011, 19:27   #175
Senior - BHPian

Please dont take any offense but that's the most wierdest one with the vento so far!!!

Me thinks, the battery connections were reset resulting in all the trip meters and the ECU being reset, is it a possibility? It just cannot be a plastic cover, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
Another strange incident. All new cars comes with a blue cover over the instrument panel. I had removed them only after few days. Once I did that, all 3 trip meters got reset (MID1, MID2 and Trip meter). Anyone experienced the same?
Old 7th November 2011, 19:51   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Please dont take any offense but that's the most wierdest one with the vento so far!!!

Me thinks, the battery connections were reset resulting in all the trip meters and the ECU being reset, is it a possibility? It just cannot be a plastic cover, for sure.
No offenses mate!
I was actually in the middle of traffic signal when I removed cover. I was thinking something in terms of may be a hidden reset switch. The cover actually goes slightly into the sides of the instrument panel. 'May be' when I removed it, it actually pressed that switch!.
Old 14th November 2011, 22:12   #177
BHPian

Got my silver Vento TDI delivered a week ago. Had a couple of niggles and wanted to know if I'm doing things right.

- After I have reversed the car, I'm finding it extremely difficult to bring the lever back to the neutral position. This is what I do - Depress the stick shift and go to the R position, take my hand off the shifter and reverse the car. Once I have gotten the car to the position that I need, I depress the shifter again and try moving it to neutral. It takes me several attempts and "some" pressure to get it back to neutral. I'm sure I'm not doing something right. Some pointers would be great.

- The left parking light is on even when the headlight switch is in the off position. Both times I noticed it, I had alighted from the car to go to some shop and when I got back, the light was still on. The doors were locked and all doors/windows were shut. Not sure if this is some bug or some undiscovered feature.
Old 15th November 2011, 15:17   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyetgrey View Post
Got my silver Vento TDI delivered a week ago. Had a couple of niggles and wanted to know if I'm doing things right.

- After I have reversed the car, I'm finding it extremely difficult to bring the lever back to the neutral position. This is what I do - Depress the stick shift and go to the R position, take my hand off the shifter and reverse the car. Once I have gotten the car to the position that I need, I depress the shifter again and try moving it to neutral. It takes me several attempts and "some" pressure to get it back to neutral. I'm sure I'm not doing something right. Some pointers would be great.

- The left parking light is on even when the headlight switch is in the off position. Both times I noticed it, I had alighted from the car to go to some shop and when I got back, the light was still on. The doors were locked and all doors/windows were shut. Not sure if this is some bug or some undiscovered feature.
- For the reverse gear lever release, it eases up with usage (or alternately your arm muscles get stronger such that you don't feel the pressure as much). I witnessed the same for the first few weeks, but now it comes back relatively easily, although some pressure still needs to be applied.

- For the left parking light - basically, if you stop the engine while the indicator was still on and you alight the car, the parking light stays on. Just get back into the car, push the indicator stalk back into the centre position and you'll be fine.

Another thing I noticed (not sure if it's captured already), which is now common across some other cars - you can't blow the horn in case ignition isn't on. I like it as my kids can't keep honking when they are in the car without the key, but do miss it at times when I do need to honk while the key might not be in the ignition mode.
eMGee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 16:07   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMGee View Post
- For the reverse gear lever release, it eases up with usage (or alternately your arm muscles get stronger such that you don't feel the pressure as much). I witnessed the same for the first few weeks, but now it comes back relatively easily, although some pressure still needs to be applied.
Thanks! Am glad that it's just not me! When backing out in places where there is traffic, it does get stressful trying to get the shifter back in the neutral position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMGee View Post
-
- For the left parking light - basically, if you stop the engine while the indicator was still on and you alight the car, the parking light stays on. Just get back into the car, push the indicator stalk back into the centre position and you'll be fine.
Fantastic find. That really helps. Any reason why this is a "feature"? And I'm guilty of not reading the manual yet. Should get to it sometime very soon!
Old 15th November 2011, 17:18   #180
Senior - BHPian

You need to press and hold the gear lever only to shift into reverse. For moving it back to neutral, you dont have to press and hold. Just normally move the lever and it will come back into the desired position without any effort.

Reasoning for one side of parking light staying on is very european and dont think has any relevance to our country. Please read through this thread and you will understand the reason (and many more such quirks)!

Good luck with your new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyetgrey View Post
Thanks! Am glad that it's just not me! When backing out in places where there is traffic, it does get stressful trying to get the shifter back in the neutral position.

Fantastic find. That really helps. Any reason why this is a "feature"? And I'm guilty of not reading the manual yet. Should get to it sometime very soon!
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks