Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2012, 11:45   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks - Parking Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Today morning I noticed one feature which is, when car is moving you can't open the trunk. Even though I press the switch couple of times it didn't open. When I stopped the car, it did open.

This happened when I have to open the boot for my office 'security' check-up.
Good catch! I usually pop the trunk after coming to a full stop at my office security checkpost but occasionally have tried to do it before it halted and noticed the same thing. Never thought it was a feature though- just assumed it didn't open because I didn't pull hard enough.

Related: the boot open control in the Vento is a modified power window switch and the feel and position is simply awesome!
Old 29th February 2012, 11:54   #257
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks - Parking Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
One feature that I am seeing in the Vento for the first time, though I am assured that most Euro cars can do it:

Park the car, switch off all your lights including park lights, remove the key.

Now switch the indicator stalk to whichever side of the car faces the road (ie to right turn (UP) or left turn (DOWN) position).

Exit the car and look at your parking lights.

You will notice that only the park lights on the side of the car that you selected with the turn indicator control are switched on.

I think this is a fantastic battery-saver, as you can leave the car perfectly visible to other motorists while at the same time saving on battery power by not having all the lights on.
My Punto has this feature as well. I believe it's there on most Euro car's.

Due to the congested lanes in European cities, this feature enables you to have your car visible to pedestrian's and other vehicles without putting the blinker's on thus allowing your car to be discreet yet visible on the road. This is what was told to me by my British boss when I was working in a VW dealership in Toronto.
amit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 14:52   #258
BHPian

Quote:
selected with the turn indicator control are switched on.

I think this is a fantastic battery-saver, as you can leave the car perfectly visible to other motorists while at the same time saving on battery power by not having all the lights on.

You are absolutely bang on Pillion. Infact I discovered it accidentally in my Dad's car. At first I even thought it was a complaint and got it clarified from the service center guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
If you are referring to the Vento , there is a button which shows the air circulation mode. When you press it , there is a 're-circulation' icon which appears in the AC console display which shows that it has been activated. Unlike most other cars , when the AC is in ventilation mode there is no specific icon which appears - the re-circulation icon just vanishes
Hope that helps

Yes Sourav, I was referring to Vento. I found the system was automatically cutting the internatl circulation mode when the ACC is switched on. The internal circulation mode functions only when the ACC is not functioning. Am i missing something?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by .anshuman : 1st March 2012 at 11:20. Reason: See note in post
Old 29th February 2012, 18:51   #259
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepeshh View Post
Yes Sourav, I was referring to Vento. I found the system was automatically cutting the internatl circulation mode when the ACC is switched on. The internal circulation mode functions only when the ACC is not functioning. Am i missing something?
The ventilation mode is default for fully automatic mode . You have to manually switch to recirculation mode if you want it immediately else it will switch on after quite a while ( its more a function of the difference in ambient temp and your desired / set temp )

On the topic of the parking lights being switched on when the indicator stalk is turned (it had been discussed in the earlier pages of this thread) , I feel that its always better to switch on the hazard lights when parked roadside given our underlit roads and also due to the fact that a high percentage of the Indian traffic drives on high beams which does reduce visibility of the drivers quite a bit
Old 1st March 2012, 09:09   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this available in the Vento? Picked it from the Rapid manual that is available on another thread. Sorry, I haven't gone through the Vento manual yet for this.

Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks-child-lock.jpg
Child Safety Lock
Old 1st March 2012, 10:39   #261
BHPian

I encountered this :

I parked the car with the indicator blinking. Switched the engine off. Took out the key and was coming out of the car. There is a beep sound (same if we leave the lights on). Turned off the indicator. Beep sound goes off.
Old 1st March 2012, 14:23   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Is this available in the Vento? Picked it from the Rapid manual that is available on another thread. Sorry, I haven't gone through the Vento manual yet for this.

Child Safety Lock
Child lock on the rear doors are available
Old 1st March 2012, 16:40   #263
Senior - BHPian

Yup. Rear doors of mine are always child locked.

By the way, the child lock is standard and available in almost all the cars sold in our market, isnt it?

And the beep warning sounds even if the hand brake isnt fully released. Happens when you are making a start from standstill and dont release it fully. Only problem is - its very hard to hear it if the music is playing inside the car, unless you see the visual indication on the IP!
Old 1st March 2012, 19:42   #264
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
By the way, the child lock is standard and available in almost all the cars sold in our market, isnt it?
Yes... AFAIK, its there in cars even a couple of segments below. Even our old Ford had it.
Old 1st March 2012, 19:50   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

My query was more related to all the initial hoopla & discussions of the Vento/Polo threads about the doors that can be opened from inside even after central locking is enabled; and how dangerous it is in case of kids. I naturally assumed this Child lock feature was not there.
Old 1st March 2012, 20:36   #266
BHPian

The child lock feature is standard on rear doors for all modern cars.

In Jap and Indian cars, there is a separate door lock arrangement for each door (in addition to the child-locks on the rear doors), but Euro and American cars usually have no separate door locks.

The assumption is that kids will only travel in the rear seat, as is the law in most (European and American) countries.

In fact I am told that in the UK, your license will stand cancelled and you will face prosecution should you be caught with a child in the front seat.
Old 1st March 2012, 21:39   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Only problem is - its very hard to hear it if the music is playing inside the car, unless you see the visual indication on the IP!
Can't agree more with you - Germany is quieter than India, guess the next version of Vento should adjust for the higher ambient noise in India
I guess the chiming should continue for a while too , it stops too soon IMO
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:13   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

If driving the car with park brakes on, there is an audible alarm. This is seen on the Polo's, guess should be on the Vento's too.

Cheers!
Old 7th March 2012, 21:02   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Yuppo. The kms shown are just a calculation of the fuel left and the current mileage the car is calculating. The first time I got that indicator was when I was cruising on the highways - it showed me 70kms to empty. Since then I have been mostly getting figures between 40 to 50 kms, mainly due to the lower mileages on the city drives.
I completely agree.. I did some stunts on this one. Once when i was travelling from tamilnad border state to pondicherry, it was showing 50 kms to empty, but pondy was exactly 45 kms.. I didnt want to fill diesel in TN just because of the price difference.

I adjusted the driving style & drove nearly 70 kms (including the travel inside the city to locate a gas station ). Hence it does work
Old 7th March 2012, 21:06   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Woah! Is that the effect of ABS? Then that has happened to me a few times. Of course, in my case it always has been the occasional (invisible) speed breakers that I miss out seeing while at high speeds, thankfully never the kid or the family on the road. Honestly, everytime it happened, I always used to think there was something wrong with the brakes, never thought it was the ABS Infact I tried repeating it immediately but never could re-create the exact scenario.

Lol. Now I understand. Could you also clear one more confusion for me? How would presence of EBD improve the situation as compared to only ABS?
yes, it did happen with me in my car too..
I was travelling at 110km/h in the night & noticed a speed breaker in a shorter distance, which forced me to apply the brake hard.

It did stop in shorter distance, but there was some pump up like a humpy road ( not because of the speed breaker though )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks