Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2012, 23:45   #271
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

The other day, I saw the car display a remaining distance to empty of around 80 KM, so I dropped in at the pump for a full tank of diesel.

On filling up till the detente, I was surprised to note that it took only 46.3 litres of diesel, which means there was around 8-9 litres left in the tank. The car was calculating an average of about 15 KMPL, so that should mean I would have a minimum of 130 KM remaining to empy.

Perhaps the car is being conservative as the fuel quantity drops toward empty.
Old 8th March 2012, 16:03   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
The other day, I saw the car display a remaining distance to empty of around 80 KM, so I dropped in at the pump for a full tank of diesel.

On filling up till the detente, I was surprised to note that it took only 46.3 litres of diesel, which means there was around 8-9 litres left in the tank. The car was calculating an average of about 15 KMPL, so that should mean I would have a minimum of 130 KM remaining to empy.

The car calculates the distance to empty depending upon your current average mileage for the journey.

So if you have been driving fast / bumper to bumper traffic i.e. if you have been getting a low average mileage, then the distance to empty would be less.
Old 12th March 2012, 12:36   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
For BHP'ians closely watching this thread for Vento VAS features, I've posted the VAS feature list in the below link. Would come in handy for your car.

I used them to get some features activated on my car delivered yesterday.

Vento VAS Feature List
Thanks for the consolidated list. Just need to understand which one's can be and should be activated in Vento TDI Highline.
Old 12th March 2012, 12:39   #274
BHPian

I discovered today that my Vento TDI highlines (Oct 2011 model), music system has speed adaptive volume. The volume increases as the speed and hence engine noise increases .. didnt know such a feature existed prior to my reading the HU manual. Proves the old programing adage of - RTFM!
Old 15th March 2012, 18:05   #275
BHPian

Hi friend, is features like auto locking/unlocking, audible feedback when locking and unlocking can be enabled on Skoda rapid 1.6TDI?
My dealer is not aware of these feature can be enable or not in rapid.
Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 18:56   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurja View Post
Hi friend, is features like auto locking/unlocking, audible feedback when locking and unlocking can be enabled on Skoda rapid 1.6TDI? My dealer is not aware of these feature can be enable or not in rapid.
@kalpurja : You would need to look at this post.
Old 16th March 2012, 14:37   #277
BHPian

Guys, interior surveillance system/motion sensors have been given a miss in the 2012 Vento ( I guess this feature was removed from Oct 11 batches onwards, when the Steering mounted control and other features were added). So, what is the current anti-theft system available in the new Vento? And how does it work? I mean, if the car is locked, and an unauthorized access or door locks/windows are tampered, then how would the car alert?
Old 16th March 2012, 15:43   #278
Senior - BHPian

I think the only anti-theft system present currently is the engine immobilizer. Dont think there is any burglar alarm in place with the removal of surveilliance system. People who own the recent variants can confirm this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
Guys, interior surveillance system/motion sensors have been given a miss in the 2012 Vento ( I guess this feature was removed from Oct 11 batches onwards, when the Steering mounted control and other features were added). So, what is the current anti-theft system available in the new Vento? And how does it work? I mean, if the car is locked, and an unauthorized access or door locks/windows are tampered, then how would the car alert?
Old 16th March 2012, 23:10   #279

Just discovered this when the car ran low on fuel: Have set the MID to display the average kmpl but once the car ran low it switched the MID to display the km to empty. Interesting feature. This car is truly full of surprises!!!
Old 17th March 2012, 13:53   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
The earlier survelliance system had a "motion" sensor but that apart i am sure that the current system would surely have a burglar / tamper alert with the blaring of the horn if someone break open the door lock , etc - I mean thats the basic function of any system !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbharucha View Post
Just discovered this when the car ran low on fuel: Have set the MID to display the average kmpl but once the car ran low it switched the MID to display the km to empty. Interesting feature. This car is truly full of surprises!!!
Yes. You would also note that under normal circumstance the "distance to empty" updates and adjusts according to the economical drive you are having i.e. it increases if you have driven a decent distance on an economy drive and will go down if your average consumption is high due to heavy traffic or spirited driving. Once the car is low on fuel , even if you hyper mile the MID would not increase the distance to empty -it can only decrease.. quirky but useful IMO
Old 19th March 2012, 11:59   #281
BHPian

Discovered a new feature: If the system detects a key in the ignition then the secondary key becomes inactive. You cannot lock/unlock using the buttons on the second key. Only the primary key buttons work while the key is in the ignition.

I don't know if that is security feature though.
Old 19th March 2012, 17:25   #282
Senior - BHPian

@smekad - Haven't tried it. The lock/unlock button of the key in ignition too doesn't work when it is in ignition, right? Or am I wrong?

How about the boot key in the secondary key? Looks this is more a logical thing rather than a feature.

There is another intresting tid-bit about the key's, they may go out of synch with the ECU if someone keeps pressing the lock/unlock button when the car is out of range and may stop working. There are steps detailed in the owner's manual on how to synch it back once again with the ECU. Can happen with kids at home, who keep fiddling around with the keys if they manage to get hold of them. Ask me, my kids just love the flippy keys and both the keys have been dropped/thrown around a thousand times already, if not more. (if you want to look at it positively - its testimony to its build quality )
Old 20th March 2012, 17:35   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I missed out on another interesting quirk / feature - had discussed it in the official Vento thread , was reminded again today while refilling my tank . There is a small air lock button at the inlet of the fuel tank which can be depressed to release potential air locks . This allows 6-7 litres of incremental fuel in the tank. I feel obliged to point this feature out of a guilt feeling - once I had blown my top with a fuel station attendant when he did this and refuelled my car by more than 57 lts which came as a shock as the capacity is supposedly 55 lts . I was wrong as I have learnt through various tests across pumps that indeed the air lock button when depressed allows much more fuel to be pumped in . Similar feature exists in Skoda cars too, thats where the fuel station attendant had learnt the trick ( a packet of mishti, apologies and thanks for teaching me something new, a few days later hopefully undid the damage . That day I also had my first experience of how useless the VW helpline is !)
The actual capacity of the Vento tank IMO is around 60 lts rather than 55 lts
Even I believed it that way, but that's not the fact.
Its just a drain pipe. I actually pressed it hard once & it went inside. I had to use a hair pin to pull it out, but to my surprise, the tube popped out & me being an experimental guy, pulled the tube completely out..
Its just a drain pipe which will allow the spilled fluid to go out.

I went to the service center & explained them on what i did.
They mentioned the same that its just a drain pipe & nothing to worry on what i did
Old 20th March 2012, 17:52   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post

I have driven the car around 40-50 Kms more even when the Distance to Empty showed '0' and all the bars of the Fuel Meter were gone. But I would not recomment anybody to test it. According to my calculation the car still had more than a litre of diesel left.

The calculation is like this. When I bought the car I got it filled till the brim and it took 60 ltrs. When I drove the car around 40-50 Kms more even when the Distance to Empty showed 0, the car took around 58.5 litres. So I am assuming that it might just go around 10-15 kms more.

The max that I have done on single tank filled till brim is 1160 Kms.
Old 21st March 2012, 09:28   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2vm View Post
Even I believed it that way, but that's not the fact.
Its just a drain pipe. I actually pressed it hard once & it went inside. I had to use a hair pin to pull it out, but to my surprise, the tube popped out & me being an experimental guy, pulled the tube completely out..
Its just a drain pipe which will allow the spilled fluid to go out.

I went to the service center & explained them on what i did.
They mentioned the same that its just a drain pipe & nothing to worry on what i did
In fact the drain pipe is different from the air release button. The drain pipe is just below the diesel inlet, outside of it. It is as you mentioned to drain any excess fuel spilled. But the air release button is inside the hole. You need to insert your finger inside and the button is towards the left side. Which can be pressed and you will clearly hear the air being released.

Abhilash

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks