Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

Guys, please share your views on below :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2720674
Old 21st March 2012, 11:15   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
Discovered a new feature: If the system detects a key in the ignition then the secondary key becomes inactive. You cannot lock/unlock using the buttons on the second key. Only the primary key buttons work while the key is in the ignition.

I don't know if that is security feature though.
Even on other cars (on swift that I have), when the key is inserted the key buttons dont work (i guess any key).
Old 5th April 2012, 17:25   #288
BHPian

A quick question to the Vento owners out there. Do the led light on the rotary light switch remain on all the time (even when the switch is in the off position). Just noticed that they stay on all the time on my TDI HL. However saw this only yesterday and for the life of me cannot remember if they did behave the same way earlier.

BTW, this behaviour does make sense to me, just wanted to know if it is normal though.
Old 5th April 2012, 21:43   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merril View Post
A quick question to the Vento owners out there. Do the led light on the rotary light switch remain on all the time (even when the switch is in the off position). Just noticed that they stay on all the time on my TDI HL. However saw this only yesterday and for the life of me cannot remember if they did behave the same way earlier.

BTW, this behaviour does make sense to me, just wanted to know if it is normal though.
Yes, that is normal. I am sure there must be a European regulation ensuring essential switches are visible all the time. It is a thoughtful feature also. For example, when your car suddenly enters a tunnel and you need to switch on the headlight, you should not be left groping for the headlight switch.
nileshch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 21:35   #290
BHPian

I just read the feature about the handbrake in the first post:
Quote:
There is a clear audible beep if the handbrake is not cleanly dis-engaged and one starts moving the car – Useful feature as most handbrakes have some play in the last 1-2 inch
To my surprise, I had never encountered this feature & today I just checked in my car. Its not there in my Vento! Does it need to be enabled specifically?

Last edited by blackdiesel : 17th April 2012 at 21:37.
Old 17th April 2012, 22:03   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
In fact the drain pipe is different from the air release button. The drain pipe is just below the diesel inlet, outside of it. It is as you mentioned to drain any excess fuel spilled. But the air release button is inside the hole. You need to insert your finger inside and the button is towards the left side. Which can be pressed and you will clearly hear the air being released.

Abhilash
The release button was demonstrated to me just yesterday by a filling station employee.

I was going to start shaking the car gently to dislodge air from the tank (like in the old days), and this gentleman tells me not to do so, since there is a button in the inlet to release air.

When you press the button (located at around 10 o'clock about 1" into the inlet), you can clearly hear the hiss as the air is evacuated, and the fuel level will drop till all the air is let out.

Using this technique, we were able to get 55.61L into the tank, even though the fuel gauge indicated that there was at least 1/8th of an official tankful remaining (5-6L).
Old 17th April 2012, 22:23   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
I just read the feature about the handbrake in the first post:
To my surprise, I had never encountered this feature & today I just checked in my car. Its not there in my Vento! Does it need to be enabled specifically?
As far as I remember this doesn't come up immediately - for that the indication light on the MID is there. The beep comes if you continue driving with the handbrake on. Have experienced this once (and thankfully only once), the feature is there. Of course it goes without saying, I wouldn't advise anyone to attempt to see if this feature is present in their car.
Old 23rd April 2012, 23:32   #293
BHPian

ninjatalli is correct, the handbrake alarm comes up only once you cross a certain speed. And it is a rather faint beep at that. I believe I read that in manual too.
Old 24th April 2012, 07:30   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ It is *not* "rather faint". Yesterday the valet who parked my car had not disengaged the handbrake completely so when i started driving immediately realised something was amiss. The beeps though melodious are very easily audible and they occur continuously when the brake is engaged. Very useful feature- kudos to VW.
Old 24th April 2012, 09:24   #295
BHPian

I checked with the service guys about this handbrake feature. It actually gets triggered after running the vehicle for 50 m with handbrake. I didnt run it so far when I checked. While I was asking about this feature on the phone (I had given the car for service), he drove the car with handbrake so as to prove that it works. I heard the beeps over the phone. Though I was furious that he did that intentionally , at least I came to know it worked.

By the way, I finally got the speed-controlled auto-lock enabled. However, the time-based auto-lock (i.e., car getting locked by itself if not locked explicitly; after a minute or so) is not working! I was told by the service guy that this feature is part of the other auto-lock, but its not working :(

@Sourav: I had an argument with the service guy about this feature because he said the feature is not there. Can you please check with your service fellows & tell us all how to enable this?
Old 24th April 2012, 10:21   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I checked with the service guys about this handbrake feature. It actually gets triggered after running the vehicle for 50 m with handbrake. I didnt run it so far when I checked. While I was asking about this feature on the phone (I had given the car for service), he drove the car with handbrake so as to prove that it works. I heard the beeps over the phone. Though I was furious that he did that intentionally , at least I came to know it worked.

By the way, I finally got the speed-controlled auto-lock enabled. However, the time-based auto-lock (i.e., car getting locked by itself if not locked explicitly; after a minute or so) is not working! I was told by the service guy that this feature is part of the other auto-lock, but its not working :(

@Sourav: I had an argument with the service guy about this feature because he said the feature is not there. Can you please check with your service fellows & tell us all how to enable this?
Let me tell you what works in my car -
  • I unlock the car by remote and do not access any of the doors for close to 30-40 seconds after which the car auto-locks itself.
  • I unlock the car and I open and close one/multiple doors and then leave the car alone for a while - the car does not auto-lock (have tested this for 3-4 minutes).
If you are talking about the second feature, I'll like to know if that exists for any of you guys. I believe it doesn't. Would love to be corrected!
Old 24th April 2012, 11:22   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
  • I unlock the car by remote and do not access any of the doors for close to 30-40 seconds after which the car auto-locks itself.
  • I unlock the car and I open and close one/multiple doors and then leave the car alone for a while - the car does not auto-lock (have tested this for 3-4 minutes).
If you are talking about the second feature, I'll like to know if that exists for any of you guys. I believe it doesn't. Would love to be corrected!
Yes. The first feature has been there from the beginning. My interest was about the second one.

I had a talk with the head of service at Palace Cross workshop today morning.. His point - which I had to agree with - was that, if this feature is provided, it may lead to a self-locking problem. In case you keep the key inside the car & close all the doors, the car locks after few minutes with the key inside. So logically, VW cannot offer this feature.

Wish VW had a smartkey (radio frequency enabled) like Verna, which will know if the key is in the vicinity of the car, based on which the car can take few decisions easily. :-(
Old 24th April 2012, 17:23   #298
Senior - BHPian

We were talking about TDI when we described it as faint

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
^^ It is *not* "rather faint".
You are right. It doesnt exist as far as I know.

And it is quite comfortable this way in many counts. My earlier car had this time based auto-lock and trust me it was more of a pain than a feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Quote:
Yes. The first feature has been there from the beginning. My interest was about the second one.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 23:16   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli
[*]I unlock the car by remote and do not access any of the doors for close to 30-40 seconds after which the car auto-locks itself.[*]I unlock the car and I open and close one/multiple doors and then leave the car alone for a while - the car does not auto-lock (have tested this for 3-4 minutes).If you are talking about the second feature, I'll like to know if that exists for any of you guys. I believe it doesn't. Would love to be corrected!
Ninja , did you close all the doors and keep the ignition key out of the key slot ? I am pretty much sure that my car auto locks - can't re check it now as I am travelling but will surely do in case its a mistake on my part and let you know ( I am back on 5th May).

Maybe Noops, Evilshantanu can also check since our cars are similar vintage ( pre refreshed with motion sensors )

Last edited by souravc : 26th April 2012 at 23:17.
Old 27th April 2012, 10:05   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Ninja , did you close all the doors and keep the ignition key out of the key slot ?
I tried out pretty much every scenario possible - doesn't work. As @bala rightly mentioned, I'd rather not have this feature. I am quite capable of locking myself out the car with the keys inside as much as forgetting to lock the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks