Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2012, 22:27   #316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni
I am Skoda Rapid owner. Was going through this thread as both the cars are the same in almost all the sense. Couldn't see anyone talking about the right wiper blade not able to be pulled to the front for washing because of the bonnet lid. The car has a built-in solution for this. After switching off ignition (it works even immediately after taking off the key), press the wiper stalk down once. The wiper blade will come to half way and stay there (service position). You can now pull them front to clean the windshield. The next time when you switch on ignition push the wiper stalk again and it will go back to the idle position.
Yes. That is the maintenance position, but it's a pain to do it every night.... Instead now my car wash guy never touches tht wiper stalk.
Old 16th May 2012, 12:22   #317
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

I am going through this thread and thinking that Vento and Rapid have such amazing hidden features. Does anyone have any idea if these or some of these features are available in Polo CL or not?
Old 17th May 2012, 14:26   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant316 View Post
I am going through this thread and thinking that Vento and Rapid have such amazing hidden features. Does anyone have any idea if these or some of these features are available in Polo CL or not?
Actually many of these fatures are available in Polo also , quite a few BHPian polo users have given me this feedback .
Old 17th May 2012, 14:32   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Actually many of these fatures are available in Polo also , quite a few BHPian polo users have given me this feedback .
Can you list some of the features or guide me to the post where they may be listed?
Old 17th May 2012, 16:03   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant316 View Post
Can you list some of the features or guide me to the post where they may be listed?
A few of the threads that you may visit are :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...rey-hound.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...polo1-6-a.html

You can interact with Frontosa too , these are guys who are passionate about their Polos and should be able to help you
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 14:12   #321
BHPian

2012 vento is missing the standard Scredriwer from the tool kit:(. Is there a way to aquire it? does any one has a pic of it? does it have only a philips head OR a torx head too?
Old 21st May 2012, 15:11   #322
Senior - BHPian

I noticed in the Rapid that the auto lock is enabled, i.e. the car locks automatically upon reaching 15 kms. But if you stop in-between to let off passengers by unlocking the central driver side lock, when you reach a speed of 15 kms, the car automatically locks itself again. This is unlike the after market central locking which does not autolock if opened once.

Does a similar thing happen with the Vento too?
Old 21st May 2012, 15:22   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I noticed in the Rapid that the auto lock is enabled, i.e. the car locks automatically upon reaching 15 kms. But if you stop in-between to let off passengers by unlocking the central driver side lock, when you reach a speed of 15 kms, the car automatically locks itself again. This is unlike the after market central locking which does not autolock if opened once.

Does a similar thing happen with the Vento too?

yes, Vento also has this feature.
Old 22nd May 2012, 00:10   #324
BHPian

Quote:
I noticed in the Rapid that the auto lock is enabled, i.e. the car locks automatically upon reaching 15 kms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
yes, Vento also has this feature.
Sorry for deviating the subject. But, I have a question - as in both the cars doors can still be opened from inside as usual even if it is centrally locked what is the purpose of such an auto lock. Driver and passengers can still open the doors when it is locked centrally but it won't open from outside. As a matter of fact, no one ever can think of opening a car from outside when it is in motion. Am I missing something here!?
Old 22nd May 2012, 07:34   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni View Post
Sorry for deviating the subject. But, I have a question - as in both the cars doors can still be opened from inside as usual even if it is centrally locked what is the purpose of such an auto lock. Driver and passengers can still open the doors when it is locked centrally but it won't open from outside. As a matter of fact, no one ever can think of opening a car from outside when it is in motion. Am I missing something here!?
The purpose is to lock doors from outside when you begin a journey and it stays that way till the time someone wants to get down. The doors (and the fuel lid) remain locked even if the car slows down below 15 km/hour. They have allowed disabling of the auto-lock when any one of the doors is opened from inside so that the passengers can exit quickly in case of an emergency.

If you want the rear doors to remain locked from inside too, you can enable the child locks for each of the doors. However, this would mean that the passengers in the rear will not be able to open the doors from inside even when the auto-lock is switched off.

I think these decisions are quite well thought out.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 07:43   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My take on this feature:

Pros: 1. No need for the driver to disable central locking every time someone wants to get out.
2. No need for the passenger to unlock anything if they want to get out
3. Useful in emergencies or waterlogging if the passengers want to get out

Cons: 1. Feeling of no safety, since there is no visible locking switch/ button on passenger side
2. If child lock is not engaged, children in the rear seat may come out on their own.

As far as I can see, it is quite similar to the other cars, except there is no visible button/ knob to lock or unlock. On the above, I'm not sure if the doors open from inside when the car is in motion. Has anyone tried this?
I have seen in the laura, there is no separate knob on passenger or rear door as well. However, if the car comes to a standstill and someone wants to get out, the door opening lever will not work the first time. It will work the second time. I guess this is to prevent accidental opening of doors. Not seen this on the rapid or Vento.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 08:07   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
The purpose is to lock doors from outside when you begin a journey and it stays that way till the time someone wants to get down. The doors (and the fuel lid) remain locked even if the car slows down below 15 km/hour. They have allowed disabling of the auto-lock when any one of the doors is opened from inside so that the passengers can exit quickly in case of an emergency.
Yes - I agree that having the fuel lid getting auto locked is a good idea. However I am worried about a passenger opening door accidentally when the car is in motion. Elderly people or kids may do this by mistake.

Quote:
My take on this feature:

Pros: 1. No need for the driver to disable central locking every time someone wants to get out.
2. No need for the passenger to unlock anything if they want to get out
3. Useful in emergencies or waterlogging if the passengers want to get out

Cons: 1. Feeling of no safety, since there is no visible locking switch/ button on passenger side
2. If child lock is not engaged, children in the rear seat may come out on their own.

As far as I can see, it is quite similar to the other cars, except there is no visible button/ knob to lock or unlock. On the above, I'm not sure if the doors open from inside when the car is in motion. Has anyone tried this?
I have seen in the laura, there is no separate knob on passenger or rear door as well. However, if the car comes to a standstill and someone wants to get out, the door opening lever will not work the first time. It will work the second time. I guess this is to prevent accidental opening of doors. Not seen this on the rapid or Vento.
If that feature was in Vento/Rapid this mechanism would have made sense. In my opinion, child lock is to not allow passengers in the rear seats to open the door at all - especially when you leave kids alone in the back seat. Having a manual lock or the one like in Laura would have helped if a passenger unintentionally pull the door lever. And also is applicable for the front seat passenger. For example, you are trying to park the car in a busy street.
Old 22nd May 2012, 15:12   #328
Senior - BHPian

Rajni - Central locking works this way in every other car. Only difference is there is a seperate latch/handle in other cars to release central locking and then the inmates will be able to open the door even when the car is in motion. Vento doesnt have this seperate provision, that's it.

Eg - Swift has a small latch over the door release lever.
- Fords' handles need to be pulled out twice, once to release central locking and the second time to open the door...

Quote:
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:16   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Eg - Swift has a small latch over the door release lever.
- Fords' handles need to be pulled out twice, once to release central locking and the second time to open the door...
Yes - I found that mechanism better to this. As the passenger has to deliberately open the lock and pull the lever to open the door rather than it opens at the very first pull. I owned a Swift for 6 years and quite used to it
Old 24th May 2012, 11:39   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Yes - I agree that having the fuel lid getting auto locked is a good idea. However I am worried about a passenger opening door accidentally when the car is in motion. Elderly people or kids may do this by mistake.
Not sure about the elderly people, but as far as the kids are concerned. As discussed a lot of times on this forum, the kids need to be strictly on the rear seat, and nowhere other than the rear seat. This is strictly implemented in all the other countries in Europe and US, alas in our country the traffic police is more interested in checking which state the registration of the vehicle belongs to...

I have a 4 month old daughter and no matter what happens, my wife sits on the rear seat, with the baby in the car seat. This is very important!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks