Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2011, 17:17   #136
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Few points from my side -

- 1200 for pair of bulbs is definitely on the higher side (@souravc - I think you wanted to mention xenon, all normal HL bulbs are halogen). However, I would be interested to know the OEM manufacturer of this. Jigu - Can you provide this detail? I would want to find out how much this costs aftermarket. Its afterall a 55/60W bulb, is there any big deal in replacing it outside VW service center?

- 226 Rs for screenwash concentrate is also on the higher side. I admit it gives a pleasent frangrance and all, but still price is high. I have no idea what's the quantity and how long it lasts though.

- Nitrogen filling is ridiculous. Most petrol pumps (atleast in chennai) offer it free with a tank full of fuel.
Changing the bulb outside won't cost that much. The funny thing is they didn't ask me before changing the bulbs. I was also stunned to see the headlight price on the bill.

Regarding the focusing, i actually focused the headlights by opening the bonnet and then changing the rotor just above the headlight assembly since the rotor inside the cabin (0-4) is used in ascending order in proportional to the passenger and luggage strength.

BTW when using the stock vento headlights, the light throw and illumination is very less when there is a vehicle coming on the opposite side with lights on.

Anyway i will be changing the bulbs to Philips rally series pretty soon.

About the nitrogen filling, when i had asked for my swift a year back they (MRF tyre alignment centre ) told me it will costs around 300 for all tyres.

So don't know the rates as of now.
Old 13th October 2011, 00:59   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
About the waves, if one is actually wading through water deep enough to submerge the underbody when waves are formed, one would certainly be taking a huge risk of stalling, and the chances of damage are high anyway, so that's obvious.
You are correct - if the Vento was so sensitive then VW would have had to stop sales in all parts of India where monsoons are heavy like Kerala, Mumbai , Kolkata , etc else a tow truck should have come free with the car For example the CNG cabs in Mumbai are tremendously susceptible to water splashes which screws up the electricals - thats why many cabbie actually cover the alternator with a piece of plastic.

I guess Bala has a point there - ECU and electrical components might be the ones which need to be protected from a high pressure spray - my guess would be that it would be a standard pre-caution for any car with ECU, Vento would be no different .
souravc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 13:18   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithudigitised View Post
@souravc Rs 1200 is for the headlights only and not with labour charge. The labour charge they quoted on bill were less

BTW mine is a red vento tdi highline.

Attached the bill for reference.

Attachment 825677
Thanks for the attachment. Didnt you do wheel balancing and alignment? Or is it not included in this? I have seen many tbhp vento owners mentioning that it is included. Kindly let me know.
Old 13th October 2011, 18:51   #139
Senior - BHPian

Looking forward for installing a START & STOP button in place of Cigarette lighter. This is the best place I could find.
Can we do it?
Does it require a major re-wiring or any small electrician can do it?
Since Vento comes with double crank-protection, will it work?

Forget about warranty. I wanted to know, is it possible?
Old 13th October 2011, 22:55   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Thanks for the attachment. Didnt you do wheel balancing and alignment? Or is it not included in this? I have seen many tbhp vento owners mentioning that it is included. Kindly let me know.
yes they did the wheel alignment and balancing. When i asked before servicing, they told me the wheel alignment and balancing will cost almost Rs 400.

BTW did you get your car back after servicing,.
Old 14th October 2011, 02:57   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yes they did the wheel alignment and balancing. When i asked before servicing, they told me the wheel alignment and balancing will cost almost Rs 400.

I guess a more appropiate thread for discussing servicing would be the main Vento thread - since its a more visited thread , thus the info it would assist a lot more Vento owners or future owners. Lets keep this thread's focus intact.
Just my thought
souravc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 09:53   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
You are correct - if the Vento was so sensitive then VW would have had to stop sales in all parts of India where monsoons are heavy like Kerala, Mumbai , Kolkata , etc else a tow truck should have come free with the car For example the CNG cabs in Mumbai are tremendously susceptible to water splashes which screws up the electricals - thats why many cabbie actually cover the alternator with a piece of plastic.

I guess Bala has a point there - ECU and electrical components might be the ones which need to be protected from a high pressure spray - my guess would be that it would be a standard pre-caution for any car with ECU, Vento would be no different .
Ok, Here is a scanned copy of the page referred to. I still can't get the logic of it. Will try to check with the service manager in Bangalore Motors.

Dear Mods, not sure on copyright issues. if you feel this is inappropriate please remove.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks-4139_001.jpg  

Old 14th October 2011, 10:00   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Here's the service report
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2544261
Old 29th October 2011, 00:20   #144
Senior - BHPian

As my car is nearing its first service at 15K km , just found another quirk . Once the service is less than 1200 km away , the MID always flashes the km to service for a good few seconds when the ignition key is inserted before reverting to the usual display .
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2011, 01:35   #145
BHPian

I found today that when car is moving turning the AC off is just one or two turns using the knob towards the left. But when car is stationary, it takes lots of turns. Has anyone else felt the same?
Old 29th October 2011, 07:48   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa
Btw lot of features in the car are not explained and assumed to be present, this car also has a share of that and we are here to learn and then use them.
Most of the features listed here are quite useful as I recollect my Audi days in late 90s in US (it had all these and some more, of course). However, I was surprised at VW's handling on leaving the owners to discover it themselves. Aren't these explained in the manual?

(Or, are we close to the state of Axiom's captain in Wall-E movie? "Manual, Relay instructions!" )

It might be the old-school habit of mine (reading the manual) that saved those days, else I wouldn't have discovered even half of them listed here.

Kudos to all who pitched in with their discovery. Please let VW know and urge them to document these in their manual if it is not done already.

Cheers!!
Old 29th October 2011, 10:05   #147
BHPian

Found an interesting thing in the music system today. The station names are displayed and for some FM stations like Suryan FM the HU even displays the name of the song that's being played. Movie name + Song name. This is pretty cool. It doesn't come for all stations. Guess it needs to be supported by the FM station as well.
prabhuferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2011, 10:36   #148
Senior - BHPian

The primary reason this thread came into existance was that none of these features are documented in the owner's manual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMo View Post
Kudos to all who pitched in with their discovery. Please let VW know and urge them to document these in their manual if it is not done already.
Yes, that's the RDS (Radio Data Service), while only a few FM stations transmit these, the HU needs to support it as well. The old HU in the pre-refreshed vento doesn't even display even the song name/album name while playing your CD, forget radio stations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Found an interesting thing in the music system today. The station names are displayed and for some FM stations like Suryan FM the HU even displays the name of the song that's being played. Movie name + Song name. This is pretty cool. It doesn't come for all stations. Guess it needs to be supported by the FM station as well.
Old 29th October 2011, 22:38   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I found today that when car is moving turning the AC off is just one or two turns using the knob towards the left. But when car is stationary, it takes lots of turns. Has anyone else felt the same?
Prabhu , I haven't noticed it . The switch off motion happens in 2 folds - first act is to switch off /zeroise the blower , pause for a few seconds and then turn the knob again to turn it off .

Quote:
and as explained by Bala , its needed to be supported by the HU too , you are lucky to own the pre-refreshed one . I saw it in action in Ninja's car when we met in Mumbai ( where we discussed your flirtations with your first love haha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMo View Post
Please let VW know and urge them to document these in their manual if it is not done already.

Cheers!!
For starters they need to make a separate manual for vento and polo and also a separate manual for the Indian versions as there are differences - only when the basic is met , can we expect them to go the extra mile !
Old 30th October 2011, 07:33   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc
For starters they need to make a separate manual for vento and polo and also a separate manual for the Indian versions as there are differences - only when the basic is met , can we expect them to go the extra mile !
WHAT????? That's ridiculous. Even some sarees come with their own manual now-a-days!!

Thank god, the honchos in VW/Skoda didn't extend the 'shared components' concept to the manuals yet. (imagine: "if your car has VW badge and a boot, then...")! :LOL:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks