Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2011, 15:34   #151

I had adopted the practice for my Esteem but the Vento hand book discourages this practice. I don't know why though.

-----
The above incident wouldnt have occured if I had practiced depressing the clutch pedal before the start/cross check if the gear lever is in neutral before cranking. Lesson learnt, Now I make it a practice to use both hand brake as well as engage the gear when I park the car.

O.T - I could still see people use bricks/stones as stoppers for parking modern cars and prevent them from moving - Cant help but smile when I see them...[/quote]

The first couple of months the cabin cooling was absolutely great. People in the rear used to actually complain that it was too chilly. And I am talking about April and May of 2011 when Mumbai was at its hottest and the AC was set on auto at 20.

But off late, the cabin doesn't cool like it used to earlier. I got it checked at the service center. They used a meter to check and the indicators show there is nothing wrong with the cooling. I thought the lack of cooling was in my head. But almost everyone who now travels in the car feel the cooling is not effective, and this when the cooling is set on 18 at high blower speed. I got it checked again and again the service center cant find any issues.

Has anybody else faced this issue?

I think the problem might be with the blower as the noise level also seems to have increased a bit. but then at any speed above auto the blower in the vento has been noisy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Just came across this thread today. Firstly, the most practical thing to do if the people in the rear complain about the chilling is to roll down all windows in the car for 5 min, put on the blower & drive to let the hot air escape & then roll them back up. This will help in cooling the cabin faster. Secondly, i have no doubt, with my experience is that using a good sun film will do the trick. The V-Kools work perfectly in my Vento, so do the 3M's in my i10. The Logan sun films aren't good as they were given FOC by the dealer & he used some sub-standard brand. Third and was as mentioned, you can close the flow in the Front Vents for a while that will help in getting comaratively more air flow pressure to the rear.

Great Thread Sourav!
Yes, this is an irritating feature and there doesn't seem to be any way around this prob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Have you tried using the remote button ? I have till date been opening the door and opening the boot
You can fill close to 65 liters i think. I have filled up to 62 but then the tank still has coupla liters left in the tank. The pump attendant says depressing the air lock button on the left side of the fuel lid releases the air locked in the tank and makes space for a few more liters. I guess this is true. Anyways, according to the manual, 7 liters gets accommodated in the reserve tank. So either the tank capacity is 55 lt plus 7 lt or the air lock button really works. Another explanation was that the fuel filled in the hose is not taken into account while calculating the tank capacity, and the fuel hose to the tank from the lid can hold around 4-5 lts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I missed out on another interesting quirk / feature - had discussed it in the official Vento thread , was reminded again today while refilling my tank . There is a small air lock button at the inlet of the fuel tank which can be depressed to release potential air locks . This allows 6-7 litres of incremental fuel in the tank. I feel obliged to point this feature out of a guilt feeling - once I had blown my top with a fuel station attendant when he did this and refuelled my car by more than 57 lts which came as a shock as the capacity is supposedly 55 lts . I was wrong as I have learnt through various tests across pumps that indeed the air lock button when depressed allows much more fuel to be pumped in . Similar feature exists in Skoda cars too, thats where the fuel station attendant had learnt the trick ( a packet of mishti, apologies and thanks for teaching me something new, a few days later hopefully undid the damage . That day I also had my first experience of how useless the VW helpline is !)
The actual capacity of the Vento tank IMO is around 60 lts rather than 55 lts

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th October 2011 at 16:34. Reason: Back to back posts, please use EDIT after post is approved. Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 05:08   #152
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekatas View Post
But off late, the cabin doesn't cool like it used to earlier. I got it checked at the service center.
I have not faced any issue with the AC cooling , my car is nearing 15K and 8 months . AC cooling gets adversely impacted if the filter is dirty , which would not be surprising considering the pathetic state of the Mumbai traffic and roads - please get it changed if required . Since you mentioned that you had the car in April / May I am presuming that you have had the car for a similar amount of time and would have done around 10K km or more. The meters that were used to check would have shown the AC refrigerant pressure only .
Which service centre are you using in Mumbai ? I found the Andheri guys to be better ( at least they knew their stuff , my opinion built on the basis of telephonic chats ) than the VW Nerul guys . The SAs in Nerul are absolute morons so beware if thats where you are taking your car. Get talking to the floor mechanics , do not let the SA "interpret" and then communicate your problem to the mechanic.
cheers
Old 31st October 2011, 12:14   #153

Yes, I have had the car for around 7 months and about to touch 14k. Much of my driving (time-wise thanks to the ever congested JVLR road) has been in the Andheri-Powai area so the filter could be the issue. This morning, for instance, I had it on the lowest temp possible and i was still feeling warm. When you hold your hand close to the vent it feels cool but it doesn't seem to be able to cool the whole cabin. I think i will now get it checked when I go for the first service. Should touch 15k by end of this month.

The meter that they used seemed more like a thermometer of sorts. They fixed this to the AC vent and I thought they were checking cabin temp. But then my technical knowledge is at best layman level, so they could have been checking refrigerant pressure.

I stay in New Bombay so I have been taking it to VW Nerul till now. There was one guy (i think his name was Ajith) who seemed to be quite knowledgeable and proactive there but he seems to have quit. I think you are right about the SAs. They even seem to have a problem allowing you into the workshop area to talk to the floor mechanics. I did talk to the AC technician about the problem but he said there doesn't seem to be any issue. I guess I will have to raise a hue and cry when i go there next time i go there or I could probably check out the Andheri SC.
Old 31st October 2011, 15:54   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

A post live from the road

Just how does this car measure the mileage? The three of us have been discussing this for the past 15mins but still haven't been able to come to a conclusion.
I am ignoring the instantaneous mileage calculation this car shows, the discussion is about the one that starts from the trip start (phi mark).

The most logical choice would be weighted average, based on fixed intervals (could be anything) - but that doesn't seem the case.

E.g. My avg of around 2k kms of pune city driving + pune - chittorgarh GQ (1k+) was 17, but a sedate driving of constant 80kmph for a period of the next 100kms pushed the mileage to 18.4!

Similarly Delhi - Vadodara avg was 18.5 odd, another sedate & constant speed driving of 100 odd kms till Bharuch pushed it to 21!

Any ideas?

Last edited by ninjatalli : 31st October 2011 at 15:56.
Old 31st October 2011, 17:18   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Just how does this car measure the mileage? The three of us have been discussing this for the past 15mins but still haven't been able to come to a conclusion.
I am ignoring the instantaneous mileage calculation this car shows, the discussion is about the one that starts from the trip start (phi mark).

The most logical choice would be weighted average, based on fixed intervals (could be anything) - but that doesn't seem the case.
I am guessing -- for the instantaneous mileage, it must be measuring it from the quantity of fuel injected into the pistons against a fixed distance (say 200 meters) travelled. For the average mileage, it calculates from change in the fuel level in the tank against a large distance.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 17:53   #156
BHPian

Guys I have recieved my car finally. Its already done 1000 Kms in 7 days.
Will put the Ownership Thread soon.

One problem that I am facing is sweating in hands while holding the steering wheel. Mine is the Refreshed Highline with Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel. I never faced this much seating on my 200 RS Steering Cover of my Indica. Any Suggestions....

I have to actually direct the Air Flow from AC towards my hands. But that also does not solve the problem completely as I am used to holding the Steering Wheel from further down and the Air Flow doesnt reach there.
Old 31st October 2011, 18:22   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
A post live from the road

E.g. My avg of around 2k kms of pune city driving + pune - chittorgarh GQ (1k+) was 17, but a sedate driving of constant 80kmph for a period of the next 100kms pushed the mileage to 18.4!

Similarly Delhi - Vadodara avg was 18.5 odd, another sedate & constant speed driving of 100 odd kms till Bharuch pushed it to 21!

Any ideas?
Ninja , its a rolling average which gets recalculated every 200 m . I will try to give an example . Suppose you travel 10 km and the car consumes 1 lt so your phi would show 10 km/lt . Now for the next 200 m your car consumes 0.1 lt then your phi would show [10+0.2]/[1+0.1] = 9.3 km/lt
Suppose for next 200 m , your car consumes 0.01 then phi would show [10+0.2+0.2]/[1+0.1+0.01] = 9.4 km/lt and so on till it gets reset when the ignition is switched off for 2 hours at a stretch . So as long as your instantaneous average is better than the current , the phi would always get better .
Hope that clarifies
Old 31st October 2011, 19:40   #158
Senior - BHPian

No, you are right. They were checking the grill temperature and this is the standard procedure. Only when the grill temperature isnt within accepted specifications, they would check other parameters.

Vento's A/C isnt the most fantastic one around, but it isnt very bad either. Roomy cabin coupled with a large greenhouse puts it at a little disadvantage. I use the re-circulation mode all the times and have 3M tints all round (except windsheild) and I find the cooling to be quite OK with temperature set at 21 C. A good set of tints will go a long way in keeping your car cool. Let us know how things go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekatas View Post
The meter that they used seemed more like a thermometer of sorts. They fixed this to the AC vent and I thought they were checking cabin temp. But then my technical knowledge is at best layman level, so they could have been checking refrigerant pressure.
Congratulations Rachit. Wishing you many happy miles with your new car.

I think the issue that you highlighted is due to the finish of the leather which is on the smoother side. If you find it very difficult to live with, you can get an additional grip on top of the OEM one with rough surface finish (but you'd lose the looks of the OEM leather!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
One problem that I am facing is sweating in hands while holding the steering wheel. Mine is the Refreshed Highline with Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 20:22   #159

Thanks, I do have tints, even on the windshield. But will update on how the diagnosis progresses.
Old 1st November 2011, 01:31   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One problem that I am facing is sweating in hands while holding the steering wheel. Mine is the Refreshed Highline with Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel. I never faced this much seating on my 200 RS Steering Cover of my Indica. Any Suggestions....
Is it due to the adrenalin rush that the 250 N-m of torque sets in you thats to blame for that In an Indica, you would never get that .
On a more serious note , maybe the OEM leather wrap is sticking to your palm/ fingers , Bala's approach sounds logical
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 23:45   #161
BHPian

Just discovered this small feature. Saw the Petrol Pump guy hanging the fuel cap on the lid like this and observed that there is clamp there specifically for this purpose. I am not sure whether it is in any other car or people are aware of it. It was new to me so thought of posting.
Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks-img_0840.jpg
Old 3rd November 2011, 00:50   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just discovered this small feature. Saw the Petrol Pump guy hanging the fuel cap on the lid like this and observed that there is clamp there specifically for this purpose. I am not sure whether it is in any other car or people are aware of it. It was new to me so thought of posting.
Attachment 836340
Just be careful Rachit , the underside of the lid should not catch dust (invariably) lining the body of the car . Dirt in the fuel can cause a lot of chaos , I prefer to let it hang down .
In Germany , this would have been useful
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 09:36   #163
BHPian

[quote=Rachit.K.Dogra;2565664] I am not sure whether it is in any other car or people are aware of it. It was new to me so thought of posting.

This feature also exists in all Skoda cars, not sure about Audi though
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:29   #164
BHPian

When does MID2 figured get reset? Is it distance, fuel or time bound?

Yesterday I observed that when the fuel pump indicator came on the MID2 data also got reset. I am not sure if its a coincidence. But a thing to look for when the fuel pump indicator comes on next time. I had planned to use that data for entire trip and realized that it got reset on its own within a week (900+kms). I have remembered seeing it retain the data for more than 2 weeks initially.
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:06   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
When does MID2 figured get reset? Is it distance, fuel or time bound?

Yesterday I observed that when the fuel pump indicator came on the MID2 data also got reset. I am not sure if its a coincidence. But a thing to look for when the fuel pump indicator comes on next time. I had planned to use that data for entire trip and realized that it got reset on its own within a week (900+kms). I have remembered seeing it retain the data for more than 2 weeks initially.
Thats something new - I thought that it gets reset only when the button is held pressed for a few seconds or after a few months / a very long distance is covered . As you would note , all qualitative measure we lack any quantitative measure .
Fuel indicator lamp being a trigger for reset is a new thing

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks