Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2011, 12:46   #91
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasad View Post
I also noticed that the clutch is bouncy and I always seem to jerk the vehicle a bit especially while accelerating no matter how slowly I release the clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
You can minimise the jerk or bounce if you release the clutch at zero accelerator dip point - illustratively , take your foot off the pedal and then release the clutch
@Krishnaprasad, like Sourav said, release the clutch without foot on accelerator pedal. Or if you are not at the right speed, transition the clutch and accelerator pedals exactly at the same time, albeit slowly (not sudden release and press). You can avoid the jerk. You will learn this quickly, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I have been driving diesels for years now, and I'm still unable to avoid this jerk, especially if im driving in a spirited manner.
It's the other way for me. When I am in slow moving traffic, I am not able to avoid the jerks. At high speeds, it's pretty smooth.
Old 15th September 2011, 16:08   #92
BHPian

To Noopster,Bala, Sourav & Nilesh
Many thanks. I will try the mentioned techniques for the next few days.

I have also summarized your replies in this post for ease of others.

thanks again
krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Hey KP, welcome to the Vento club! Yes, the single reverse light is a shame: an example of the cheesy stuff companies come up with to cut costs.

The fog lamp occupies the same position as the one you'd expect the right reverse lamp to be, so I doubt you can fit and rewire this in a simple manner. Any wire-cutting will void the warranty, don't forget.
Quote:
Yes, clutch of the vento has a long travel range and has a pretty annoying bounce back action. This gets a little better with time (or you get used to it), but you need to really master the release position to avoid jerk during gear changes. You will notice this jerk all the more when you release the clutch pretty quick during a upshift/downshift.

I have been driving diesels for years now, and I'm still unable to avoid this jerk, especially if im driving in a spirited manner.
Quote:
Bala has rightly explained important aspects of the clutch . You can minimise the jerk or bounce if you release the clutch at zero accelerator dip point - illustratively , take your foot off the pedal and then release the clutch . Should help .
There is no escaping from the hard clutch though
Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
@Krishnaprasad, like Sourav said, release the clutch without foot on accelerator pedal. Or if you are not at the right speed, transition the clutch and accelerator pedals exactly at the same time, albeit slowly (not sudden release and press). You can avoid the jerk. You will learn this quickly, I think.

It's the other way for me. When I am in slow moving traffic, I am not able to avoid the jerks. At high speeds, it's pretty smooth.
krishnaprasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 23:19   #93
Senior - BHPian

The technique that souravc described works the best. Release the clutch completely and then provide accelerator input. Issue is sometimes your knee starts feeling sore due to the hard clutch after driving in B2B traffic.

Some amount of jerk is inevitable if you are trying to shift quickly. You will understand this and will get used to it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasad
To Noopster,Bala, Sourav & Nilesh
Many thanks. I will try the mentioned techniques for the next few days.

I have also summarized your replies in this post for ease of others.

thanks again
krishna
Old 16th September 2011, 00:38   #94
Senior - BHPian

I missed out on another interesting quirk / feature - had discussed it in the official Vento thread , was reminded again today while refilling my tank . There is a small air lock button at the inlet of the fuel tank which can be depressed to release potential air locks . This allows 6-7 litres of incremental fuel in the tank. I feel obliged to point this feature out of a guilt feeling - once I had blown my top with a fuel station attendant when he did this and refuelled my car by more than 57 lts which came as a shock as the capacity is supposedly 55 lts . I was wrong as I have learnt through various tests across pumps that indeed the air lock button when depressed allows much more fuel to be pumped in . Similar feature exists in Skoda cars too, thats where the fuel station attendant had learnt the trick ( a packet of mishti, apologies and thanks for teaching me something new, a few days later hopefully undid the damage . That day I also had my first experience of how useless the VW helpline is !)
The actual capacity of the Vento tank IMO is around 60 lts rather than 55 lts
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 09:42   #95
BHPian

Can someone explain how the motion sensor works? I locked myself in the car and waved at the motion sensor but nothing happened. The alarm came on only when I opened the door without unlocking the car.
Old 16th September 2011, 09:50   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain.vanilla View Post
Can someone explain how the motion sensor works? I locked myself in the car and waved at the motion sensor but nothing happened. The alarm came on only when I opened the door without unlocking the car.
It works even if you move inside the car. I tested this when I got the car. Try moving your hand in front of the sensor. If this doesnt activate the alarm, check with the dealer.
Old 16th September 2011, 11:54   #97
BHPian

Discovered an interesting thing while test-driving few days back regarding the emergency blinkers.

Lets say that both the blinkers are on since you have pressed the emergency/ hazard switch at the center.

Now, in between if you use the left/ right turn indicator ; the emergency blinkers stop automatically and only the single turn indicator (left or right) is activated.

After the turn is completed ; the emergency blinking i.e. both blinkers resume automatically.

This isn't there on my Fiesta or Figo in which once the hazard switch is pressed both the blinkers continue to function even if a single turn is needed/ activated in between.
gaurav911 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 13:03   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

This is fabulous- I had no idea this happened.

But please keep in mind you should use the emergency lights *only* when stationary/in need of help and not as many of our countrymen do, to increase visibility during fog, rain, slow driving and the like.

Has anyone noticed that if you snap the turn indicator in the middle of a turn, it completes that blink before going off? This doesn't happen in Jap/Korean cars. Neat!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2011, 11:40   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
This is fabulous- I had no idea this happened.

But please keep in mind you should use the emergency lights *only* when stationary/in need of help and not as many of our countrymen do, to increase visibility during fog, rain, slow driving and the like.

Has anyone noticed that if you snap the turn indicator in the middle of a turn, it completes that blink before going off? This doesn't happen in Jap/Korean cars. Neat!
Noticed the feature only when you mentioned it . On the emergency blinkers , I do switch them on when in heavy rains , in tunnels , stopping by a the highway, etc - isn't it right?
Old 18th September 2011, 12:39   #100
Senior - BHPian

Only stopping by the highway part is correct, rest aren't.

In a nutshell, hazard lights needs to be turned on only when you are interrupting the flow of traffic, not otherwise.

For improving visibility you have the front and rear fog lamps, which can be used as required.

A moving car should never have emergency blinkers on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc
Noticed the feature only when you mentioned it . On the emergency blinkers , I do switch them on when in heavy rains , in tunnels , stopping by a the highway, etc - isn't it right?
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2011, 12:55   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Did you know many cars have a feature where if you break hard the blinkers automatically turn on?
Old 18th September 2011, 16:03   #102
Senior - BHPian

And what do you think is the reason behind it?

It is because you are decelerating at a rapid pace and showing an intent to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos

Did you know many cars have a feature where if you break hard the blinkers automatically turn on?
Old 18th September 2011, 16:26   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Bala is right, Sourav. You should avoid using blinkers at all costs when driving.

I don't know if you have been on the Mumbai-Pune expressway in heavy rain during peak hours of evening. This situation has always been a nightmare for me. The poor visibility coupled with the crescendo of blinkers put on by all surrounding cars, SUVs & trucks screws up your judgement completely . It is such a bad situation that I can neither drive too slow to allow all others to pass me (with the fear that someone might rear-end me) nor too fast to get away from others (with the fear that I might rear-end some slow moving car). A recipe for disaster, I may add.

Last edited by nileshch : 18th September 2011 at 16:45.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 12:24   #104
BHPian

Another one from me, though lot of people would know this already.

When you need to change the lanes, just depress the indicator lever a bit. The lever would pop back immediately but the indicator blinks for 2-3 times. Very useful in 4 lane highways.
windsurfer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 13:18   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

^^Yup that's an awesome feature, very common on German cars I believe. It blinks 3 times.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks