Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2015, 15:12   #3001
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Finally solved the issue of reverse cam not working through the option in infotainment screen (Under Car-Info). Reverse cam was connected from the reverse light. They gave another line to Reverse cam from the 12V plug point at the back. Now Cam gets power always and can be switched on from the option under Car-Info in Infotainment screen. Earlier it used to get power only when reverse gear is engaged. This was done at KTC Kochi and took about 1 hour.
Old 2nd January 2015, 17:52   #3002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpriyesh View Post
Finally solved the issue of reverse cam not working through the option in infotainment screen (Under Car-Info). Reverse cam was connected from the reverse light. They gave another line to Reverse cam from the 12V plug point at the back. Now Cam gets power always and can be switched on from the option under Car-Info in Infotainment screen. Earlier it used to get power only when reverse gear is engaged. This was done at KTC Kochi and took about 1 hour.
Wouldn't this result in the camera life being cut short as the camera is always on?
Old 2nd January 2015, 19:00   #3003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
It comes with proper kit, but there are no major modifications required(drilling the bulb cover caps etc.,) just like those cheaper low branded HIDs.
Easy plug and install process. Good life. Wont have any impact on warranty.
But for high beam , you have few choices like the Hella Aux lights.
Hi,

Can I get details on the company and variant to be installed. I presume will need to go to a accessories shop to buy and fix it. I am more concerned about low beam,high beam seems good.
Old 2nd January 2015, 20:56   #3004
BHPian

Has anyone managed to get the inlet for the AC (for outside air) blocked

Had asked my RM during my running repair work to block the inlet vent but he said the company does not recommend this so he won't be able to get it done
Old 3rd January 2015, 01:43   #3005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
Wouldn't this result in the camera life being cut short as the camera is always on?
I asked this.... What they said is it is not always on and you are switching it on only when selecting the option in the infotainment screen. Moreover this is how Mahindra has connected camera in sportz edition and the camera used in my vehicle is the same model
gpriyesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 10:29   #3006
BHPian

Hello people.
Picked up an 18 month old AWD today. Noticed some issues:

1. Nav not working as GPS is unable to get a fix (inspire of waiting patiently for minutes)
2. The bigger issue is this - in crawling traffic, as I release the clutch partially, within 2-3 seconds a slight but recognisable thud comes from the rear wheels as if differtial or some other part has slipped n power went to the rear wheels for a traction of a second.
I tried using AWD lock for a fee mins in slow traffic n switched it off but this issue remains. Any possible light on this?

The car has 25100 on the odo.
Old 3rd January 2015, 13:16   #3007
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Hello people.
Picked up an 18 month old AWD today. Noticed some issues:

1. Nav not working as GPS is unable to get a fix (inspire of waiting patiently for minutes)
2. The bigger issue is this - in crawling traffic, as I release the clutch partially, within 2-3 seconds a slight but recognisable thud comes from the rear wheels as if differtial or some other part has slipped n power went to the rear wheels for a traction of a second.
I tried using AWD lock for a fee mins in slow traffic n switched it off but this issue remains. Any possible light on this?

The car has 25100 on the odo.
1. Try to go into settings for time and check GPS sync off and then on again. After that go to Navigation. Make sure you are in an open space when doing this. Hopefully it fixes it.

2. Yes this happens when using half clutch in slow moving traffic with releasing the clutch at lower revs. I have been feeling it from the begining (March 2013 model). The AWD kicks in instantaneously. To minimize it, if using half clutch technique, try to pick up more momentum with higher rev (>1400) and then release the clutch fully but slowly. You will figure it out as you keep driving.

i.e. I feel the AWD kick in when taking a turn near my neighborhood where there is cement road with water and mud accumulation sometimes due to it being a slope. I am usually in 1st gear on this turn due to jam pack of cars packed around this turn, along with construction debris of broken brick pieces around. I feel the AWD kick in when the car feels a slight slippage in front wheel to help, this rear-ward supply of power to rear wheels is strong causing instant increase in speed (the thud feeling).

I hope I have not made it more confusing
Old 3rd January 2015, 13:33   #3008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
1. Try to go into settings for time and check GPS sync off and then on again. After that go to Navigation. Make sure you are in an open space when doing this. Hopefully it fixes it.

2. Yes this happens when using half clutch in slow moving traffic with releasing the clutch at lower revs. I have been feeling it from the begining (March 2013 model). The AWD kicks in instantaneously. To minimize it, if using half clutch technique, try to pick up more momentum with higher rev (>1400) and then release the clutch fully but slowly. You will figure it out as you keep driving.

i.e. I feel the AWD kick in when taking a turn near my neighborhood where there is cement road with water and mud accumulation sometimes due to it being a slope. I am usually in 1st gear on this turn due to jam pack of cars packed around this turn, along with construction debris of broken brick pieces around. I feel the AWD kick in when the car feels a slight slippage in front wheel to help, this rear-ward supply of power to rear wheels is strong causing instant increase in speed (the thud feeling).

I hope I have not made it more confusing
1) Thanks for the tips - hope GPS works after I follow pt no 1.

2) One of the reasons I love diesels is because I can use the torque at idle to move ahead in traffic without using the accelerator. I go through a lot of slow moving traffic stretch on my 80km commute and using the accelerator pedal each time will add to the fatigue.
But again, if you say this is common, isnt this wrong? Why is power being sent to the rear on a straight dry tarmac road. That said I understand it will kick-in in your area due to cement + water = this is normal, but my case seems a bit strange.
Old 3rd January 2015, 16:52   #3009
BHPian

Quote:
1) Thanks for the tips - hope GPS works after I follow pt no 1.

2) One of the reasons I love diesels is because I can use the torque at idle to move ahead in traffic without using the accelerator. I go through a lot of slow moving traffic stretch on my 80km commute and using the accelerator pedal each time will add to the fatigue.
But again, if you say this is common, isnt this wrong? Why is power being sent to the rear on a straight dry tarmac road. That said I understand it will kick-in in your area due to cement + water = this is normal, but my case seems a bit strange.
If you are getting your vehicle to move from standstill just by slowly releasing the clutch without accelerator input then it will cause the thud feeling, 1) because the car will try to prevent stalling, by increasing acceleration on its own, 2) this increased acceleration now has to be then distributed to the front wheels, and since this is an AWD vehicle, any extra accelerating force will be sent to the rear wheels by the drivetrain to help the vehicle move forward and prevent slippage in the front wheels. All this happens in split seconds.

i.e. when in AWD lock mode you have to provide more acceleration to get the vehicle moving, mostly due to increased traction the vehicle has to overcome.

All I can say to help is, you will learn to understand what the vehicle wants as you keep driving and this thud feeling will disappear. This thud feeling can also be felt when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear if gears are not shifted properly. So it all comes down to proper shifting of gears.

On a personal note, I hate driving this vehicle in slow moving traffic, just because it gives you the feeling that its ready to move and pounce. And yes frequent use of clutch and accelerator is tiring.
Old 3rd January 2015, 16:58   #3010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
If you are getting your vehicle to move from standstill just by slowly releasing the clutch without accelerator input then it will cause the thud feeling, 1) because the car will try to prevent stalling, by increasing acceleration on its own, 2) this increased acceleration now has to be then distributed to the front wheels, and since this is an AWD vehicle, any extra accelerating force will be sent to the rear wheels by the drivetrain to help the vehicle move forward and prevent slippage in the front wheels. All this happens in split seconds.

i.e. when in AWD lock mode you have to provide more acceleration to get the vehicle moving, mostly due to increased traction the vehicle has to overcome.

All I can say to help is, you will learn to understand what the vehicle wants as you keep driving and this thud feeling will disappear. This thud feeling can also be felt when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear if gears are not shifted properly. So it all comes down to proper shifting of gears.

On a personal note, I hate driving this vehicle in slow moving traffic, just because it gives you the feeling that its ready to move and pounce. And yes frequent use of clutch and accelerator is tiring.
Took it for a spin in the nearby offroad park. Did some mild off-roading. Used the lock mode a couple of times. Came back to my society - tried half clutch crawling. The mild 'thud' has gone away. Issue resolved.

Tried syncing clock with GPS - its unable to do so.

One more issue is a low noise hum (slight metallic hum) from behind the air-con control area. This sounds like when a system is trying to read a CD again and again. Tried removing CD / inserting it again, nothing happen. This hum is low in noise/sound but is audible when idling at standstill.

PS: learning to live with a Mahindra
Old 3rd January 2015, 17:54   #3011
BHPian

Quote:
Took it for a spin in the nearby offroad park. Did some mild off-roading. Used the lock mode a couple of times. Came back to my society - tried half clutch crawling. The mild 'thud' has gone away. Issue resolved.

Tried syncing clock with GPS - its unable to do so.

One more issue is a low noise hum (slight metallic hum) from behind the air-con control area. This sounds like when a system is trying to read a CD again and again. Tried removing CD / inserting it again, nothing happen. This hum is low in noise/sound but is audible when idling at standstill.

PS: learning to live with a Mahindra
Good to hear the thud is gone.

Did you turn on Navigation after trying to sync the clock with GPS.
(If you have an OBD tool you can check if GPS is working or not)

The low noise hum is from the fan which is part of the infotainment system. Its normal.

For the car dashboard I have been using Amkette car mount M50 Sportz
It comes with dashboard mount plate.
Old 5th January 2015, 15:39   #3012
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a XUV W4 in February. I have gone through this thread and from what I understand most of the issues are electronics related.
Are there any other issues with mechanicals or other serious deal breakers?
I have taken a TD of the vehicle and I am mighty impressed.
I would love to have a niggle free experience.
Thanks in advance
Old 5th January 2015, 16:29   #3013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a XUV W4 in February. I have gone through this thread and from what I understand most of the issues are electronics related.
Thanks in advance

I have a w4 and there are no issues related to electronics. As it is , W4 is a no frills version and as compared to other versions there are less electronics in it. Overall I don't see any major issues though. w4 is a true VFM.
Old 5th January 2015, 20:41   #3014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance
Most of the niggles are on the older version. Mahindra has fixed all those in the version released in nov 2013. Now xuvs are almost niggle free.
Old 5th January 2015, 22:22   #3015
BHPian

I noticed a new thing.Not sure if anyone has seen it before.

The infotainment system is saying that my car is due for service. Just had the 10K kms service done at around 9.2K as I was taking it for a long drive.

I am wondering they forgot to add that/update that somewhere in the system. Taking the car to the service centre to see what is causing it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks