Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2014, 22:38   #16
BHPian

re: VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread

First of all Thanks a lot Robi for starting this thread.

We have a Yeti Ambition which only recently completed first service, and during the service, I managed to convince the SA to try and experiment with the VAS for a few features.

Here's a list of what I could manage to activate in about an hour's time. FYI, the interface of the VAS the Service Centre uses is very different from the VCDS tool screenshots. Had to google and experiment a bit before we could find the right codes.

1. Needle Sweep (Cluster Staging) - I just had to have this. Satisfies me to no end when I switch on the car at night.

2. DRLs - No coding needed, the indicator stalk method works just fine.

3. Auto Door Lock/Unlock at speed - This feature is present in the Elegance, and is one of the most practical feature out of the lot.

4. Lane Change indicator blink (From 3 blinks to 5 blinks) - Very useful on the highway, 3 blinks simply not enough for Indian conditions IMO.

I wanted to activate Cornering Fogs as well but couldn't find the code, courtesy the unfriendly UI. Also wanted to activate the Left side ORVM dip when engaging reverse gear. Not sure if it's possible on the Ambition though.

P.S.: Robi, Love your Polo. Already started pestering dad to upgrade the i10 when the Facelift is out.
Old 27th June 2014, 00:48   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post
I wanted to activate Cornering Fogs as well but couldn't find the code, courtesy the unfriendly UI. Also wanted to activate the Left side ORVM dip when engaging reverse gear. Not sure if it's possible on the Ambition though.

P.S.: Robi, Love your Polo. Already started pestering dad to upgrade the i10 when the Facelift is out.

Thanks Sid. Cornering fogs should work in the Yeti Ambition as I have that activated in my Skoda Laura. But the ORVM dip wont work in the Ambition trim. I will upload VCDS screen shots for the Skoda Laura (Octavia 2nd gen) soon.

Go for the TSi Polo, its a gem of a car. Don't let the VW/Skoda bashing threads demotivate you.

A phone video of needle staging in my Polo. (sorry its kind of out of focus though)
robimahanta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 01:47   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Don't let the VW/Skoda bashing threads demotivate you.
Oh absolutely not. I truly believe, once you go European, you don't go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
A phone video of needle staging in my Polo. (sorry its kind of out of focus though)
I guess a video response is in order.

Old 27th June 2014, 20:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thanks!!

I am very interested to know what can be done on a Jetta... If you have tried?

You being in Bangalore definitely helps me!!
Old 28th June 2014, 08:11   #20
BHPian

I am sure when VCDS system is available for VW, a product in similar line should be available for manufacturers like Maruti, Hyundai. Even if they do not provide the facility for the entry level vehicles but this could be an option of the mid or top level vehicles. I am sure thse cars come with most of the features but Indian manufacturers smartly chooses to not activate them. Using software like VCDS will enable the users to unlock many important features.
Old 30th June 2014, 14:49   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delix View Post
I am sure when VCDS system is available for VW, a product in similar line should be available for manufacturers like Maruti, Hyundai. Even if they do not provide the facility for the entry level vehicles but this could be an option of the mid or top level vehicles. I am sure thse cars come with most of the features but Indian manufacturers smartly chooses to not activate them. Using software like VCDS will enable the users to unlock many important features.
Highly unlikely that a VCDS kind of system will ever be available for our Marutis and Hyundais. Marutis and Hyundais that are sold in India are totally made in India made for India products. The amount of localisation is very high. They will not waste a single paisa on a part or component that is not going to be used. The reason why so many hidden features are present in VAG cars is that there is a lot of part sharing across brands and variants. So some amount of hardware is built into the car even though it may be deactivated. The reason it is deactivated is ...
  1. To distinguish higher trim levels from the lower ones. Take the case of engine sharing as an illustration. It is more economical for the VAG group to share the 2.0 TDi engine across so many models and brands and use software to tune it differently than having separate engines for these cars.

2. Different markets have different demographics and laws. In some countries DRLs are compulsory, at the same time in some countries driving with lights on during day time may induce people on the road to make funny hand gestures . For such cases it is hard for manufacturers to have two separate part nos unless volumes are so high.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 30th June 2014 at 14:58.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 15:51   #22
BHPian

Hello Everyone, A very interesting thread. Would any BHPian have a VCDS cable here in Gurgaon? I would like to tinker with a few options on my Passat B7. Any help would be highly appreciated
Old 30th June 2014, 23:31   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Hello Everyone, A very interesting thread. Would any BHPian have a VCDS cable here in Gurgaon? I would like to tinker with a few options on my Passat B7. Any help would be highly appreciated
Yup! i am there in DLF phase4.

Happy to help
newtonMeter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 12:02   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Yup! i am there in DLF phase4.

Happy to help
Amazing. Thanks a lot newtonMeter. I shall come by as per your convenience. Please inbox me when you have time this week. It would be awesome. I am so excited.
Old 1st July 2014, 13:33   #25
BHPian

As mentioned in this thread, it is possible to activate or deactivate certain features in VW group of cars using VCDS. Can any one let me know if something similar is availabe for mercedes cars? if yes, can a lower power tuned engine be upgraded for a higher tune of power by enabling/disabling any of the bits? Ex: Can a C220 CDI be upgraded to a C250 CDI engine state?
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:33   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post
First of all Thanks a lot Robi for starting this thread.

We have a Yeti Ambition which only recently completed first service, and during the service, I managed to convince the SA to try and experiment with the VAS for a few features.

Here's a list of what I could manage to activate in about an hour's time. FYI, the interface of the VAS the Service Centre uses is very different from the VCDS tool screenshots. Had to google and experiment a bit before we could find the right codes.

1. Needle Sweep (Cluster Staging) - I just had to have this. Satisfies me to no end when I switch on the car at night.

2. DRLs - No coding needed, the indicator stalk method works just fine.

3. Auto Door Lock/Unlock at speed - This feature is present in the Elegance, and is one of the most practical feature out of the lot.

4. Lane Change indicator blink (From 3 blinks to 5 blinks) - Very useful on the highway, 3 blinks simply not enough for Indian conditions IMO.

Sid, is your yeti still under warranty - did service centre comment anything about warranty applicability post VCDS driven changes?

Also, I see you are based in Mumbai, which service centre do you prefer in Mumbai for the yeti?

FYI - I drive a yeti ambition too.
Old 3rd July 2014, 13:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_ang View Post
As mentioned in this thread, it is possible to activate or deactivate certain features in VW group of cars using VCDS. Can any one let me know if something similar is availabe for mercedes cars? if yes, can a lower power tuned engine be upgraded for a higher tune of power by enabling/disabling any of the bits? Ex: Can a C220 CDI be upgraded to a C250 CDI engine state?
Of course re-map of the ECU is possible through computers but leave it to the experts. Remap is basically just like tinkering with the features of the car. Couple of things to keep in mind though.
1) will it void your warranty?
2) will the gearbox be able to handle the additional torque?
Old 6th July 2014, 15:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_ang View Post

Is your C220 CDI equipped with 5G-tronic or 7G-tronic gearbox? Either ways, your car is capable to handle up to 750 nm of torque on the gearbox, a remap of the ECU for bup in power is surely possible. Better things you can achieve through a remap instead of a bump in power is better driveability.
Old 6th July 2014, 17:19   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delix View Post
Don't think anything by Maruti can come close to what VAG offers since it is the entire electronic architecture is different. Almost all electronic activity is mediated by either of the controllers. When you flick the headlight switch, the switching action is carried out by the BCM and the headlight switch just triggers a signal to BCM. Inside the BCM it is the code that carries out actions. By modifying this code, you could change functions and behaviour.

In most other manufacturers this system doesnt exist and the switch acts as a switch directly controlling some functions while only a few functions are BCM controlled. Hence even if there is a method of customising options, it will be very limited, nowhere close to adding a cruise control, auto headlamps or stuff similar to our VCDS punts here

The VCDS is one of the few reasons I would buy a VAG car. Just awesome.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2014, 19:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Don't think anything by Maruti can come close to what VAG offers since it is the entire electronic architecture is different. Almost all electronic activity is mediated by either of the controllers. When you flick the headlight switch, the switching action is carried out by the BCM and the headlight switch just triggers a signal to BCM. Inside the BCM it is the code that carries out actions. By modifying this code, you could change functions and behaviour.

In most other manufacturers this system doesnt exist and the switch acts as a switch directly controlling some functions while only a few functions are BCM controlled. Hence even if there is a method of customising options, it will be very limited, nowhere close to adding a cruise control, auto headlamps or stuff similar to our VCDS punts here

The VCDS is one of the few reasons I would buy a VAG car. Just awesome.
That is true, but one query that if VAG system is also a diagnostic system which is used to modify certain features even a BCM/ECM system is used to do the same. Moreover swift being an international model, dont you think the ECM module can be used to alter the features? I totally agree that there might be capping of maximum figures that might be achieved.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks