Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2014, 09:07   #121
BHPian

re: VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
He also asked whether to activate 'something' that will automatically apply brakes while taking turns at high speeds. But as i am not knowing about it, i didnt go for that.
I guess, he was asking about "Expanded Electronic differential Lock"(XDS) to "Strong". This setting provides "better traction in corners". XDS technology lets you grip the road when cornering fast.

I have gone for this change.

Following is taken from http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technolo...ty-systems/xds
Quote:
XDS is an advanced electronic differential lock, linked to a sophisticated Electronic Stabilisation Programme (ESP) system. We designed it to maximise road holding and improve responses, especially when cornering.

How does it work?
In moments of fast cornering XDS gives out exactly the right amount of power, providing pressure on the inside wheel to prevent wheel spinning. The result is better traction and a reduction of any tendency to under steer.

You'll experience a more agile, precise and calm driving performance with better traction out of bends. In other words, you can enjoy sporty driving in your Volkswagen, knowing you have a reassuringly higher level of safety.
Old 12th November 2014, 09:23   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
I guess, he was asking about "Expanded Electronic differential Lock"(XDS) to "Strong". This setting provides "better traction in corners". XDS technology lets you grip the road when cornering fast.
But i guess this will work only in vehicles with ESP. Mine is a TDI. I dont know if there is any advantage in activating it in my car
Old 12th November 2014, 12:07   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
But i guess this will work only in vehicles with ESP. Mine is a TDI. I dont know if there is any advantage in activating it in my car
Yes, that's right. XDS is only available with the cars which have ESP(e.g. Polo GT TSi).
Can you please check with Sugesh, and let us know about "automatically apply brakes while taking turns at high speeds"? I am interested to know this.
Old 12th November 2014, 16:09   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
Hey Gannu, I tried making this change for my facelift TSI, but there is no response from the controller. The software tries to read it 3 times, and then gives. up.

I have been able to make the rest of the changes easily.

Any idea about why this would be happening?
FYI, VW changed the reversing module to a non-Optical Parking System one, with limited functionality. The previous one (cars from last year) showed up in VCDS and interfaced with systems such as the Blaupunkt 835 to give you reverse parking sensor graphical display.

The new one is audio only, doesn't show up in VCDS and hence allows no customization. I learned this the hard way after my Blau 835 didn't give me reverse-sensor display. I think this is what is happening with your car.

Last edited by StarScream : 12th November 2014 at 16:18.
StarScream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 22:33   #125
BHPian

Guys, I would like to order the VCDS cable for the new 2014 facelifted Polo GT TSI. Should I go for the one mentioned in this forum (12.12.0 for $18.99) or this one (12.12.3 for $25) - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VAG-C...222869911.html

It is from the same seller but seems like a newer version which supports cars until 10/2014.

Also can you guys share how I can get OPS activated on my RCD510. I got it installed a few days back but no OPS display shows up when reversing. I am also installing a VW Scirocco rearview camera and hopefully I will get someone to wire it this week. I assume I may need addition coding to get the camera to work.

Last edited by crskumar : 12th November 2014 at 22:35.
Old 13th November 2014, 14:46   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
FYI, VW changed the reversing module to a non-Optical Parking System one, with limited functionality. The previous one (cars from last year) showed up in VCDS and interfaced with systems such as the Blaupunkt 835 to give you reverse parking sensor graphical display.

The new one is audio only, doesn't show up in VCDS and hence allows no customization. I learned this the hard way after my Blau 835 didn't give me reverse-sensor display. I think this is what is happening with your car.
Thanks for the info StarScream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crskumar View Post
Guys, I would like to order the VCDS cable for the new 2014 facelifted Polo GT TSI. Should I go for the one mentioned in this forum (12.12.0 for $18.99) or this one (12.12.3 for $25) - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VAG-C...222869911.html

It is from the same seller but seems like a newer version which supports cars until 10/2014.

Also can you guys share how I can get OPS activated on my RCD510. I got it installed a few days back but no OPS display shows up when reversing. I am also installing a VW Scirocco rearview camera and hopefully I will get someone to wire it this week. I assume I may need addition coding to get the camera to work.
I have the new GT and a 12.12.0 cable. works fine, but it is always better to get a new one, and autoprofessional is a good seller and tried by many on the forum. I also ordered my cable from them.

The OPS wont work on the new GT as explained by StarScream above. I think you will need to run another cable to canbus for that.
lalittalwar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 16:48   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
Thanks for the info StarScream.

I have the new GT and a 12.12.0 cable. works fine, but it is always better to get a new one, and autoprofessional is a good seller and tried by many on the forum. I also ordered my cable from them.

The OPS wont work on the new GT as explained by StarScream above. I think you will need to run another cable to canbus for that.
Thanks lalittalwar. I ordered the 12.12.3 cable from the same seller. he only offered Singapore post so should take about 45 days to get here from prior experience.

Its a shame VW changed the controller on the sensors. The main purpose for me to get the RCD510 was the OPS functionality. I am in the process of installing the VW Scirocco camera and hope atleast that will work.
Old 13th November 2014, 17:17   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the current scenario, I haven't found a way to get OPS to work without changing the module, wiring it up to CANBUS and maybe changing the BCM.

As far as the camera is concerned, with the Blau 835 it's a fairly straight forward matter of connecting the camera lead to the HU's camera input socket. No coding needed. I assume with the RCD510 it should be as simple.

Last edited by StarScream : 13th November 2014 at 17:18.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 15:12   #129
BHPian

Hi, I recently acquired my VCDS cable from Aliexpress. It was my first time with the cable, so obviously at the first attempt, it did not work. I then realized that the ignition needs to be on and all doors unlocked. Anyway, I got it working.

Executed some basic mods on my Passat like - removing seat belt chime, tear wipe, ABS brake light flashing etc.

Have been struggling with a few bits, Realized it was Team Bhp time. I need help with the following bits:

1. I don't know what i did, but now in my MFD, I see a Wagon (or Hatchback) in the door opening sign. (Pic attached)
I cant seem to figure out how to revert to the Saloon info graphic that i had previously.

2. I want to activate indirect TPMS. I think its called 7k6. Its pretty straight forward in Golfs but I am not able to figure it out on my passat.

3. About the seat belt chime, i have altogether removed the seat belt indicator and chime (Using Long coding helper). I would like it if someone could help me with enabling the seat belt indicator and removing the chime only.

4. If I select Alt Speed in the MFD menu, i see speed in mph format, whereas on the speed screen its kph, can the minimized alt. speed view be modified to display kph. (place where you see 24.0 C in the image below)

Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread-20141119_105354.jpg  

Last edited by Crazy_Bean : 19th November 2014 at 15:13.
Old 19th November 2014, 17:09   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks lalittalwar. I ordered the 12.12.3 cable from the same seller. he only offered Singapore post so should take about 45 days to get here from prior experience.
I had ordered from the same seller too:
Order placed on Nov 4
Order shipped on Nov 5
Got the cable delivered today - Nov 19

Yea, it is via Singapore Post. A lot quicker than I expected.
Old 19th November 2014, 22:34   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
I need help with the following bits:

1. I don't know what i did, but now in my MFD, I see a Wagon (or Hatchback) in the door opening sign. (Pic attached)
I cant seem to figure out how to revert to the Saloon info graphic that i had previously.

2. I want to activate indirect TPMS. I think its called 7k6. Its pretty straight forward in Golfs but I am not able to figure it out on my passat.

3. About the seat belt chime, i have altogether removed the seat belt indicator and chime (Using Long coding helper). I would like it if someone could help me with enabling the seat belt indicator and removing the chime only.

4. If I select Alt Speed in the MFD menu, i see speed in mph format, whereas on the speed screen its kph, can the minimized alt. speed view be modified to display kph. (place where you see 24.0 C in the image below)

Many thanks
I was trying to figure out from the pic, which hatchback in India has those dials (before I read it's your Passat)!!

Regarding your queries,

1. You must have accidently changed the vehicle model from the drop down list or activated the car outline as Wagon in long coding helper of 17-instruments module?

2. For enabling indirect TPMS, you would have to select "TPMS installed/active" (something similar) in the 03-ABS Brakes module. IIRC you need to enable it in 17-Instruments module too for the warning lamp indication. Once enabled, it takes some few mins or may be an hour of driving to learn/adapt.

3. I think seat belt chime and indication lamp comes under seat belt warning activating option in which case it might not be possible to turn off the chime alone.

4. Mine also shows speed in "mph" at the bottom if i enable alt. speed display. Haven't checked how to change this. Should try some time.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 19th November 2014 at 22:41. Reason: Typo as usual
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 21:50   #132
BHPian

I have an interesting query. My car (Passat) came with 'Auto Start Stop' feature. But no Push button start (No KESSY).

As the car has Auto start stop, that means it has the required actuator or motors to start stop the car once the ignition is on.

Now if you look at the photo attached, ( its a control switch panel for the Passat). Mine is the one without PUSH button start, the Highline comes with the one with PUSH start. If I am able to source the right panel with PUSH button start, and replace the existing panel. Do you think the button would work.

Now, I know my car doesn't have the proximity sensors to detect a key in the car, so I am thinking, If I put the key in the ignition,(its a fob), and then press the start button, basically a NON keyless system.

It will be something like the old BMW e90, where one has to first insert the key fob and then press button to start. Current gen VOLVOs and some old AUDIs also function the same way.

Do you think its viable?
Attached Images

Old 26th November 2014, 12:33   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeen View Post
I had ordered from the same seller too:
Order placed on Nov 4
Order shipped on Nov 5
Got the cable delivered today - Nov 19

Yea, it is via Singapore Post. A lot quicker than I expected.
Very true. I ordered on 11/14, shipped 11/17 and received on 11/25. Super fast through Singapore Post.
Old 3rd December 2014, 07:08   #134
BHPian

Hi, I managed to do the following changes with the VCDS on our 2012 Polo 1.2 Petrol Highline:-
  1. Auto unlock when removing the ignition key
  2. Auto lock above 15 kmph
  3. Emergency Brake flashing
  4. Rear wiping
  5. Comfort turn signals (from 3 to 5)

What other mods can be done with the VCDS to my Polo?
Old 3rd December 2014, 07:11   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
I have an interesting query. My car (Passat) came with 'Auto Start Stop' feature. But no Push button start (No KESSY).

As the car has Auto start stop, that means it has the required actuator or motors to start stop the car once the ignition is on.

Now if you look at the photo attached, ( its a control switch panel for the Passat). Mine is the one without PUSH button start, the Highline comes with the one with PUSH start. If I am able to source the right panel with PUSH button start, and replace the existing panel. Do you think the button would work.

Now, I know my car doesn't have the proximity sensors to detect a key in the car, so I am thinking, If I put the key in the ignition,(its a fob), and then press the start button, basically a NON keyless system.

It will be something like the old BMW e90, where one has to first insert the key fob and then press button to start. Current gen VOLVOs and some old AUDIs also function the same way.

Do you think its viable?
Technically a push button start/stop should work. I know it costs about 4k. I had this changed under warranty as some aluminium from the button had come loose and was very sharp to touch. I did not pay for it, but managed to see the price on the box.
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed