Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2014, 15:31   #91
BHPian

re: VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
after reading through i understand that xds is related to esp. and that xds is listed as expanded electronic differential lock in vcds

however I'm curious & confused...

1. does xds improve braking or does it improve handling/steering feel ?

2. why isn't it set to strong by default in the first place ?

thanks.
XDS kills under steer by braking the inside wheels while taking a corner. The polo does suffer from rather excessive under steer when it's stock.
So it kind of acts like a faux limited slip diff.
Personally, I also feel that it adds a bit of weight to the steering while taking a corner. And once you pick line and hold it, you can feel the car being tugged towards the apex, as if the car is extremely reluctant to let go of that line.

It isn't set to strong as default because it also increases brake pad wear. I think robimahanta had to change is brake pads rather quickly. (Confirm?)
However, live driven about 7,000km with it set to strong and my brake pads appear to be holding up pretty well so far.

Last edited by Eddy : 30th August 2014 at 23:34. Reason: As requested
mango_pal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 03:26   #92
DWC
BHPian

Does anyone know if the VCDS cable that's available on aliexpress is compatible with the newer polos? The product description states that the cable is compatible with all VAG vehicles from 1996 to 01.2014. I'm a little skeptical whether it'll work. Has anyone tries it on a car manufactured after Jan 2014?
Old 17th September 2014, 10:20   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
I guess is it to do with a newer control module? maybe. Can you let me know which VCDS are you using?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
That's because the other models lack ESP. Only the Polo/Vento TSI gets ESP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
I am not sure about feeding the data to an independent screen. The cable connects to an USB port and works on any windows based laptop with the software.
Can any of you knowledgeable folks explain to me what is the CAN Gateway and what does the option do in VCDS? If I select modules from the Gateway installation list, will it show up among the modules available for my car? If an option/module is not available, I'd think it makes no difference where the option shows up. Any help will be much appreciated.
Old 17th September 2014, 10:54   #94
BHPian

Things you can do with the VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System for VW, Skoda etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Can any of you knowledgeable folks explain to me what is the CAN Gateway and what does the option do in VCDS? If I select modules from the Gateway installation list, will it show up among the modules available for my car? If an option/module is not available, I'd think it makes no difference where the option shows up. Any help will be much appreciated.
Not an expert, but from what I have experimented and learnt with VCDS - Basically CAN gateway takes care of several CAN controller traffic reducing the load on main control module like BCM/CECM which is the host controller for several modules. In CAN gateway module, like you mentioned, you get the gateway installation list which shows all the modules that the particular CAN Gateway module in you car supports no matter your car has those modules or not. If you select one module from the gateway installation list which is not present in your car, it does not do anything because there is no communication with that module which is not actually there. On the other hand, say for eg. if you deselect "Radio" from the gateway installation list, you lose the HU/Audio display option on the MFD as now the CAN gateway is told that there is no radio and hence it wont communicate with the Radio module (HU). For adding some functions or advanced modules, you might have to upgrade the CAN Gateway. I have done this in my Yeti.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 17th September 2014 at 11:18.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 12:05   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Not an expert, but from what I have experimented and learnt with VCDS - Basically CAN gateway takes care of several CAN controller traffic reducing the load on main control module like BCM/CECM which is the host controller for several modules. In CAN gateway module, like you mentioned, you get the gateway installation list which shows all the modules that the particular CAN Gateway module in you car supports no matter your car has those modules or not. If you select one module from the gateway installation list which is not present in your car, it does not do anything because there is no communication with that module which is not actually there. On the other hand, say for eg. if you deselect "Radio" from the gateway installation list, you lose the HU/Audio display option on the MFD as now the CAN gateway is told that there is no radio and hence it wont communicate with the Radio module (HU). For adding some functions or advanced modules, you might have to upgrade the CAN Gateway. I have done this in my Yeti.
Thanks. This raises a few questions - where did you get a replacement module from and what does changing it do to the warranty?
Old 17th September 2014, 12:22   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Thanks. This raises a few questions - where did you get a replacement module from and what does changing it do to the warranty?

I got the module from Vagtune and I would not expect Skoda warranty after changing it. I've been waiting patiently more than 3 years and few months for my warranty period to get over for upgrading and mods. While warranty is still not expired, my patience ran out. I am pretty confident that my warranty is null and void after all these upgrades.
Old 17th September 2014, 13:35   #97
BHPian

Has anyone tried getting the VCDS mods, especially number of lane change blinks and tear drop wipe, done from the Service Centre?
I am trying to get EVM Trivandrum to do this for me, but they are dragging their heels, saying that these features have not been updated for them and they are aware that people are getting it done from outside (where they cannot or will not say).
The VCDS tech here at EVM Trivandrum seems to be an uncooperative sort.
I do not even think they check for firmware updates.
Old 17th September 2014, 16:10   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Has anyone tried getting the VCDS mods, especially number of lane change blinks and tear drop wipe, done from the Service Centre?
I am trying to get EVM Trivandrum to do this for me, but they are dragging their heels, saying that these features have not been updated for them and they are aware that people are getting it done from outside (where they cannot or will not say).
The VCDS tech here at EVM Trivandrum seems to be an uncooperative sort.
I do not even think they check for firmware updates.
Amanomics got it some things done for his GT TSI from the service centre.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3523497

I also spoke with the SA to get some stuff done. he was quite nonchalant about it and gave me the name of the guy at the service centre who could do it. I just havent found the time to visit the service centre yet.
Old 9th October 2014, 19:14   #99
BANNED

After going through this thread even i planned some tweaks using VCDS while taking delivery of my Polo 1.5. Since i was knowing a SA in Phoenix VW calicut, i asked whether it can be done and he straight away agreed to try the luck. He arranged a guy who was familiar with the scan. On the delivery day we tried, but the software they were using was not VCDS. It was something like OB? I don't remember the name. With the snap shots posted here, he managed to increase the lane change to 5 blinks. But failed to get the tear drop wipe, needle sweep and emergency brake flashers activated. Actually he was confused with snaps provided by me and that was showing on his screen. SA was saying that VCDS is not available in none of the authorised service centres.
Can the Vagtune guys help me out to activate this?
Old 9th October 2014, 20:12   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
After going through this thread even i planned some tweaks using VCDS while taking delivery of my Polo 1.5. Since i was knowing a SA in Phoenix VW calicut, i asked whether it can be done and he straight away agreed to try the luck. He arranged a guy who was familiar with the scan. On the delivery day we tried, but the software they were using was not VCDS. It was something like OB? I don't remember the name. With the snap shots posted here, he managed to increase the lane change to 5 blinks. But failed to get the tear drop wipe, needle sweep and emergency brake flashers activated. Actually he was confused with snaps provided by me and that was showing on his screen. SA was saying that VCDS is not available in none of the authorised service centres.
Can the Vagtune guys help me out to activate this?
Earlier the service centres were using VAS for OBD but now they have shifted to ODIS I guess. These have more capabilities than VCDS. VCDS has limitations while VAS and ODIS are complete diagnosing tools used by authorized service centres. Only thing is that the guys who play with VCDS like us have experimented a lot with it as compared to the technicians who are trained but have a handful of the routine jobs to carry out rather than sit and play unlocking and tweaking the extra features. That is why they cant figure these out very easily. Best is to catch hold of someone with VCDS cable who knows these things and get it done. If I was in Calicut, I could do it. But I am away right now. German tech guys have VCDS. Try there. I'm not sure if the guys know these stuff but they do have VCDS I know.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 20:21   #101
BANNED

Thanks ajay for the info. German tech is exclusively for skoda rite? How about vagtune?
Old 9th October 2014, 21:34   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
Thanks ajay for the info. German tech is exclusively for skoda rite? How about vagtune?
German tech is a private garage but I'm not sure if it is exclusive for Skoda. Anyways VCDS is common for all VAG cars and they can do these tweaks for your VW since they have it. While German tech is a regular service garage, Vagtune is the place for all these tweaks. If you can visit Vagtune, nothing like it, for this is their field of expertise. All your VAG car requirements with regards to tweaks, upgrades, retrofits, coding with VCDS, etc. all can be done there without doubt.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 9th October 2014 at 21:37. Reason: Typo
Old 10th October 2014, 11:24   #103
BHPian

Hi everyone. I am looking to buy a VCDS cable from Aliexpress. I own a 2013 Passat and will soon be buying the new Polo GT.

I am unfamiliar with the nomenclature (HEX cable etc.) and the versions (12.12 etc.)...

Exactly what should I order to cater to both the cars? Thanks
Old 11th October 2014, 12:57   #104
Team-BHP Support

Got to tinker around with a Laura Ambiente TDI and did the following:

- Changed mileage indication on the MFD from l/100 km to km/l by changing the country to Japan.

- Enabled cluster staging.

- Changed lane change indicators from 3 to 5.

- Enabled hazard lights flashing for emergency braking.

- Activated DRLs (a light in the fog light cluster remains on now).

Couldn't find the setting for tear drop wiping for front wipers. Couldn't enable cornering lights using fog lights. Might have to spend some more time to figure out these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Hi everyone. I am looking to buy a VCDS cable from Aliexpress. I own a 2013 Passat and will soon be buying the new Polo GT.

I am unfamiliar with the nomenclature (HEX cable etc.) and the versions (12.12 etc.)...

Exactly what should I order to cater to both the cars? Thanks
This one - Aliexpress
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2014, 23:30   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
This one - Aliexpress
Thanks Gannu_1, I have placed the order. Expect some more questions when my cable arrives
Again, Thanks so much

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks