Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2014, 22:41   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by delix View Post
That is true, but one query that if VAG system is also a diagnostic system which is used to modify certain features even a BCM/ECM system is used to do the same. Moreover swift being an international model, dont you think the ECM module can be used to alter the features?
As I told before, maybe not in the exact terms, but it is the architecture that varies. From what I heard recently, the lane change indicators could be customised by MASS using their SDT. Basically, the BCM and ECM arent the same. The car will have a number of such modules, interconnected through the CAN-Bus. Since I am not aware of the detailed aspects, this is what I can think of. Considering the case of a swift or its family, including ertiga, BCM controls wipers, indicators, rear defogger, central locking, interior lights and a few other components. Hence these features may be customised if there is anything possible. Perhaps the timeout for the lights could be changed since its based on a timer run by the BCM. Suppose you upgrade the instrument cluster of a Swift LDi to the one on the VDi, the harness itself is different since it doesnt need to many signals and data.

Features like headlight, fog light, mirrors, windows etc have distinct circuits that branch out at the junction box, after their respective fuses. The BCM of a top end swift will be different compared to the base version since there are some features missing. So is the wiring harness. Hence straight forward mods are not possible and easy like using the VCDS.

In case of a VAG car what I think is just everything is mediated by the BCM. Moreover, the smaller cars or lower variants will have the same backbone and wiring harness in most of the cases. Hence, you could enable some important features either only by coding or by addition of a plug and play module + adding that patch.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 22:02   #32
BHPian

Quote:
VCDS is a very useful feature in all VAG cars like VW/Skoda/Audi/Porsche
Could you explain a bit more about this. That is:

1) Difference between OBD and VCDS.
2) Does is have a separate interface like OBD or do you have to connect it to your laptop ?.
3) How do you connect it (the cable) to your car and where ?

Regards
Shankar
Old 8th July 2014, 13:19   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auswechseln View Post
Could you explain a bit more about this. That is:

1) Difference between OBD and VCDS.
2) Does is have a separate interface like OBD or do you have to connect it to your laptop ?.
3) How do you connect it (the cable) to your car and where ?

Regards
Shankar
OBD is to get real time readings from the car. For example, boost pressure, Rail temperature. OBD is also for Fault codes specific to Manufacturer+General fault codes.

VCDS is OBD+, it has all the functions of OBD and Additionally gives you options to configure the control modules. For example, it could be

1. Super high tech control to configure your ESP, Torque compensation, Brake force distribution, Angle and intensity of your Projectors, Internal Surveillance sensitivity, OR

2. Simple configurations like - enable sound unlocking, Enable comfort blinking of wipers (lane change)

VAGCOM connects to the OBD connector, over the years, the connectors have evolved

Laptop-(USB/Serial/BT/Wifi )- compatible VCDC Cable - OBD port.
newtonMeter is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 08:49   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
VCDS is OBD+, it has all the functions of OBD and Additionally gives you options to configure the control modules.
Aah! this explains it perfectly

All excited at the prospect of unlocking additional "goodies" in my Yeti, I took her across to the Bosch Service Centre to get her "scanned". The owner said that he had the requisite software and cables, but was not very familiar with how to operate the software (My bad, I did'nt care to check which software he was working with). He was fairly confident that any features for which sensors/ wires were present could be adjusted/enabled.

I prepared a long list - thanks to various forums, from Briskoda to our very own Team-Bhp - of tweaks that I wanted to carry out and landed up at the workshop to implement them. The software in question was not "VCDS" but something called "bosch ESi 2.0" I guess it was an OBD system which allowed me to see various values and also tweak a few basic functions (like lane change indicator count) but did not have the more detailed functionality of the VCDS. I played around for a good half an hour, delving into every menu in the system (assuming that the functionality would be present but differently organized) but with limited luck - walked away doubting my "programming skills"

Now that I have read this it makes perfect sense - and I'm on the lookout for someone who has a proper VCDS setup in or near Gurgaon/South Delhi.

Mod Note: Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.
Team-BHP maintains a strong stand against drinking and driving, and any mention of alcohol. Hence, posts containing ANY alcohol content (in text or pictures, directly or indirectly) will NOT be permitted.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th July 2014 at 09:05.
Old 26th July 2014, 09:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, VCDS is quite powerful. I am using it on my Vento for last 4 months and pretty satisfied. BTW - I ordered a Chinese Ross-tech hex can cable (12.12.0) for $20 and it works fine.

Can you share the link to this cable? I want to get my hands on to this also.
Old 27th July 2014, 12:10   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Can you share the link to this cable? I want to get my hands on to this also.
couldn't get exact url

but found an alternative

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEWEST-2014-...item4ad872bf80
Old 27th July 2014, 13:33   #37
BHPian

The amount of customisations VCDS offers is massive! Right from enabling the honk-honk during locking/unlocking the car using the keyfob, auto door locks when the speed crosses 15 kmph, auto unlocking while removing the key, enabling cluster staging (not possible on the stock clusters of the Polo, Fabia, Rapid and Vento), XDS settings, brake assist settings, number of lane change indicators, activating emergency brake flashers and so forth.

@Gannu , By cluster staging if you mean needle sweep - I will like to inform you it is possible in the stock cluster.

I have two weeks old vento and the needle sweeps on ignition.
Padcot Prakash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 08:25   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padcot Prakash View Post

I have two weeks old vento and the needle sweeps on ignition.

Which cluster have you have installed on your Vento?

Ownership thread yet?
Old 28th July 2014, 09:31   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Which cluster have you have installed on your Vento?

Ownership thread yet?
Its the stock cluster.

Ownership thread in the making. will post soon.
Old 28th July 2014, 12:04   #40
BHPian

Could you PM me your Vcds Log file? Would like to compare modules
Old 29th July 2014, 13:46   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padcot Prakash View Post
Its the stock cluster.

Ownership thread in the making. will post soon.
so cool. was the needle sweep on ignition "ON" by default from factory or did you activate it via VCDS ?

Quote:
Could you PM me your Vcds Log file? Would like to compare modules
Bro were you able to activate this on your vento ? If this actually works with stock cluster then would it be also be possible to activate this on pre facelift polos ?

Cheers.
Old 29th July 2014, 15:13   #42
BHPian

Quote:
couldn't get exact url

but found an alternative

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEWEST-2014-...item4ad872bf80
Did you use the software that came along with the cable?
Old 29th July 2014, 22:20   #43
BHPian

[quote=rana_kirti;3491141]so cool. was the needle sweep on ignition "ON" by default from factory or did you activate it via VCDS ?

The needle sweep came activated from the factory. Sweeps on ignition on.
Old 30th July 2014, 00:00   #44
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, VCDS is quite powerful. I am using it on my Vento for last 4 months and pretty satisfied. BTW - I ordered a Chinese Ross-tech hex can cable (12.12.0) for $20 and it works fine.

Some key features activated

7. Installed 9w2 Bluetooth module.
Can you shed some light on what exactly is the 9w2 Bluetooth module? Does this basically activate bluetooth in your car?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but what i've understood here is that your car did not come with bluetooth and you managed to activate it with the VCDS?
Old 30th July 2014, 06:32   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Things you can do with the VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System for VW, Skoda etc.)

Just wanted to confirm that "needle sweep" works with the Polo stock cluster in the GT models(maybe in the other models as well but I have not tried it). Its located in VCDS as "indicator celebration" and not as "staging"
robimahanta is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks