Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2021, 19:29   #946

Re: What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerk View Post
I'm pretty sure it's the radiator fan that you're hearing. It goes away at higher speeds because air flows through the radiator then and the fan doesn't have to work that hard, plus other noises cover it up.
I was also suspecting the same because it does sound like a large fan but not entirely sure.. i tried to listen with the windows down and *i think* it could be the turbo, cause the sound then converted to the turbo’s whistle. Anyways I just completed a flawless trip to the hills and the car is very near the 2500km service; will get it checked out then.
Old 16th October 2021, 22:22   #947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerk View Post
I'm pretty sure it's the radiator fan that you're hearing. It goes away at higher speeds because air flows through the radiator then and the fan doesn't have to work that hard, plus other noises cover it up.
I think that is what it probably is.. sounds similar to this .
Old 27th October 2021, 20:06   #948

Hi all

Car I 20 , 2years , 9000 kilometres on odo

Last month on a trip I noticed that my break makes a mechanical clang sound
when I break over uneven surfaces , I felt some vibration on the break peddle also, but the break works perfectly fine

It never used to happen before , have never heard that sound while breaking

Is it normal for the break to react this way when used on uneven surface?
Old 29th October 2021, 15:51   #949
BHPian

Hi Folks

Car- Volkswagen Jetta TDI - 67k on the odo

A strange sound( like the sound from back of a refrigerator/ a buzzing noise) from the engine bay ( at 4th,5th &6th ) gear, which is noticed at 1700- 2200 rpm when I hit 90- 100 kmph or more. This is not heard while idling or in any other gear ( even if I attain the aforementioned RPM). And this ceases to exist once I cross 2100 rpm or more, could not try this in 6th gear as its dangerously fast. Did a check with mechanic, he could not identify. Everything else is fine( performance, mileage etc). Can you guys help?

Last edited by drift87 : 29th October 2021 at 15:54.
Old 29th October 2021, 17:38   #950
Distinguished - BHPian

Safari Storme 2013 with 1.04L on the odo.

A mild sound that was related to something moving. Nothing harsh, though. Could also feel a very mild vibration in the gear lever esp when moving out from 3rd gear.

Turned out to the alternator pulley bearing. Alternator was serviced. All well know.
Old 7th November 2021, 21:19   #951
BHPian

Mouse hunt: Help me identify the mouse.

I have a 2009 A-Star that has run ~65K Km. I hear these two sounds:

1. "SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK"
  • Small squeaks. Always more than one squeak when it happens. Not a continuous squeeeeak but more like many tiny squeaks. A lot like a mouse! silence... squeak..squeak..squeak. silence
  • Heard even with single occupant but seems to be more squeaky with increased load
  • Heard faintly even on smooth road surface with imperfections but seems to occur at the imperfections only.
  • Sometime presents itself loudly when setting off from a standstill, more so after cold start - this was how I noticed it first. The squeaks have increased in loudness and frequency of occurrence since it was first noticed about a year back. Previously I could never hear it on good flat roads, now I can hear it faintly and intermittently.

2. "SCRUNCH"
  • Heard ONLY when going over humps. Not heard over potholes, road undulations etc.
  • Heard on the falling edge of the hump than on the rising - suspension rebound. I would say the sound starts only when the wheels reach the crest of the hump.
  • Heard when the speed over hump is anything more than crawling. Even what is perceived as acceptable speed over a hump sometimes produces this scrrrrunchhhh.
  • Sound is independent of number of occupants or time of the day or warm/cold engine.
  • The sound seems to have higher probability of occurrence when the car passes a hump on an road with slight incline. When the road has a decline the sound almost never appears at the hump.

Other points:
  • There is absolutely no metal clunking sound
  • No knocking sounds over potholes
  • Not dependent on steering inputs/lock etc.
  • Passes the bounce test. The car does not bounce much and settles back when bounced at front corners.
  • No signs of leaks on the struts.
  • Car is comfortable and no issues other than the sound

My diagnosis:
  • Since it is independent of steering input, steering rack should be ok
  • Since the sound is absent when car is stationary even with AC load, it is not the belt.
  • No sound when rear wheels pass over the hump so it is from front suspension.
  • I suspect the damper/strut itself is ok and it is probably worn out bushes/strut bearing.

Am I moving in the right direction? Does it make sense to change the front struts as well as preventive maintenance? I don't plan to sell the car anytime soon and am trying to understand the potential issue before taking it to the mech to avoid false diagnosis.
rajathv8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 10:19   #952
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
2009 A-Star
-Small squeaks. Always more than one squeak when it happens. Not a continuous squeeeeak but more like many tiny squeaks.
- Sometime presents itself loudly when setting off from a standstill, more so after cold start
My first suspect is the drive belt OR AC compressor belt. As belts age, they begin to squeak. Easiest way to find out is on a cold start, spray a bit of water from a Colin type container, and see if the squeak disappears after the spray. If yes, then that belt is the culprit.

Quote:
"SCRUNCH" - heard ONLY when going over humps
This is most likely the front struts and/or the rear shock absorbers. Again, if you'd like, you could use Wuerth rubber spray to spray on the strut mounting on the apron underside, the lower arm bushes, link rods and see if the noise persists. For the rear, open the hatch, and do the bounce test. Two or three adults press the car down by pressing down on the area adjacent to the hatch lock striker, and release to see if the scrunch noise appears.

Last edited by vigsom : 9th November 2021 at 10:23.
vigsom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 21:21   #953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
Mouse hunt: Help me identify the mouse.

I have a 2009 A-Star that has run ~65K Km. I hear these two sounds:

1. "SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK"
First the link rods were changed. The old ones were shot and one of them had a bend.
This improved the ride noticeably but squeak sound persisted.
Cost: Rs.1500 incl labour
What's that sound?-img_20211129_130406908.jpg

Next the driver side engine mount was identified as a weak point - I have no idea how they figured it out. It looked fine and the engine didnt move about when shaken by hand. Part was ordered and arrived in 2 weeks. Turns out this solved the squeak!!
Cost: Rs.1666 incl labour
Old:
What's that sound?-img_20211219_114352528.jpg

New:
What's that sound?-img_20211219_112948795.jpg

The alternator belt was changed proactively though it looked in good condition. AC compressor belt was not changed.
What's that sound?-img_20211204_125549114.jpg

The SCRUNCH persists. There is only one culprit left and that is the front struts. Will tackle this soon.

On a side-note, there was a rumbling sound from the center/rear of the car at exactly 1800 rpm in every gear. It would last for few seconds and disappear as revs increased or decreased. After years of hunting by multiple SA's, it was finally narrowed it down to the exhaust-O-ring between two sections of the exhaust pipe. Changed it and the sound vanished.
Cost. Rs20 and no extra labour charge.
This is the best Rs.20 I have spent so far.
rajathv8 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 20:20   #954
BHPian

Hi All,
I own a Jetta 2015 TDI AT with 1.1l km on the ODO.

And I have a very light squeak from the passenger AC vent when I brake. It is not present during normal drive and it vanishes after the speed has come down to 20 or so Kmph. I tried without the AC and there was no sound. Hence I deduced it is not related to brakes or suspension.

The sound has been driving me crazy. And any inputs are appreciated.
Old 2nd March 2022, 19:30   #955
BHPian

2021 Hyundai Venue DCT
1000 KM
Frequency - intermittent

There is a weird intermittent low volume vibrating sound coming for initial 2-3 seconds while accelerating and goes away after letting go the A pedal.

This sound is like of a loose belt of a pretty old car, very minute and noticeable to driver only on smooth tar road where tyre/road noise is almost zero.

Will highly appreciate any possible pointers.

Last edited by AjinkyaP : 2nd March 2022 at 19:42.
Old 2nd March 2022, 19:48   #956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blogslogger View Post
Hi All,
I own a Jetta 2015 TDI AT with 1.1l km on the ODO.

And I have a very light squeak from the passenger AC vent when I brake. It is not present during normal drive and it vanishes after the speed has come down to 20 or so Kmph. I tried without the AC and there was no sound. Hence I deduced it is not related to brakes or suspension.

The sound has been driving me crazy. And any inputs are appreciated.
This is most likely to be from your AC blower motor. It occurs more when you brake as the blades are feather touching the body.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 2nd March 2022 at 19:54.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 13:33   #957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
This is most likely to be from your AC blower motor. It occurs more when you brake as the blades are feather touching the body.
Thanks and Lot Bibendum90949. I got the motor checked and it was indeed the problem. Lubricated the motor a bit and the sound is gone now.
blogslogger is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 12:55   #958
BHPian

Car - Toyota corolla altis VL AT 2011.
ODO- 84222KM.

So far engine was sounding good, then all of sudden I started to hear a screeching sound (chiiiiiiiiiii) once I move car first time in the day . Sound comes from engine bay and stays for first 20-30 second only and then ita gone for rest of the drive.

Took it immediately to Toyota ASC and mechanic identified it as a slightly damaged Water pump pulley. He showed it to me and indeed there was clear scratches on the pully surface.

Reason/ diagnosis- somehow some debris may have lodge itself between water pump pully and drive belt and that has caused the damage to pulley.

Prognosis: this sound will stay unless pulley and the drive belt is changed, slowly the scratched surface of pulley will start to damage the belt and after sometime/kms belt is likely to break which will result in water pump failure and hence in engine damage.

Can I continue to drive without fear- yes I can but will have to live with the annoying noise and keep the belt condition in check periodically and wait for it to fail after which I will have to change the parts.

Will i continue to drive with this noise? - No. I have a loooong! road trip planned next month, so i will get it changed. Parts have been ordered and will arrive in next 5-7 days.

Estimated cost given: roughly Rs. 7000 including part and labour.

Query to all. Is the prognosis correct? I have seen cars with this noise a lot, is replacement the only solution or is there any jugaad to lubricate it with WD40 to reduce the nose?

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th March 2022, 19:52   #959
BHPian

Hey BHPians,
I own a Suzuki Baleno(2018) which is making loud creaking noises whenever i move the car from standstill. It's so loud when the car is stopped at a slope and moved upwards or when people enter the car when the car is in Handbrake. I've took the car for service 3 times and all they've done is cleaning the brakes.
Have you got any idea what that sound is?
Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd April 2022, 09:06   #960

Hello friends,

Car: 2008 Santro GLS Manual 48K kms

Issue: Metallic noise from under the car that happened once.

Details: I was driving on slightly uneven road yesterday. I might have been in 2nd or 3rd gear. Suddenly I heard mechanical/Clanging noise from under the car. I immediately stopped the car and examines if something was stuck. I couldn't find anything. Later I drove cautiously and as usual for almost 10-15kms without any issue at all.

Question:
I have to take to shop but I want to understand how urgent this issue is.

Vehicle was serviced 6 months back. Clutch assembly has been replaced once at around 40k.

Could it be just some pebble thar got stuck in some part under the car ? If there was an issue with transmission /calipers would it be intermittent like this ?

Response would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks