Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2017, 22:45   #841
BHPian

Re: What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
My 10 year old Innova gives a metallic clang clang sound when in neutral. It is kind of off and on. The sound is coming from under the vehicle. It is not audible from inside with windows closed. When the clutch is fully depressed while stationary, this goes away. Sometimes I hear the sound while moving as well. But usually it goes away while running. The service center guy says to replace clutch. There is no discernible loss of power in gear. The vehicle seems to push ahead well while releasing the clutch with hand brake on as a test to check clutch wear. Any advice? BTW the vehicle is past 100K Kms and still running with the original clutch.
Solved - The sound was just dust in the clutch release bearing. Once it was cleaned and put back, things are back to normal.
Old 20th November 2017, 17:01   #842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
For the first check no cloth or such are caught in the drive shaft. Sometimes such pose items get caught and then whip against body to create such noise. Alternatively make sure no hanging plastic or Robert part is brushing against the shaft. These now back as speed increased and sound disappears.
Just checked there are no such things on shaft.

Please guide !! Planning to take the car to Mechanic on wednesday
Old 21st November 2017, 01:00   #843
BHPian

I'm hearing a noise in my Micra like a "kaaat" since middle of September for the past 1000 kms. This sound originates occasionally if the car is accelerated from slow speed or suddenly brake is applied or there is a acceleration-braking sequence. During normal running at moderate speeds I've never heard the sound. Also while driving slowly over undulated roads, sometimes the sound is heard. The sound doesn't occur repeatedly but can be heard quite distinctly. On making a turn on either sides while driving the sound is not produced always. I've visited two FNGs and one A.S.S.

FNG1 - I've shown my car to Alok Automobiles while i gave her for periodic maintenance (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...s-kolkata.html) and they diagnosed it to worn engine mounts but they asked me to get it replaced at A.S.S as they are unable to source the OEM part in aftermarket.

A.S.S - On showing the sound to the A.S.S, they first thought the culprit was indeed the engine mounts but after removing it from the car they said it is not worn out. They raised it up and inspected and finally said the driver side front axle is worn out and would need replacement. I agreed to change it as they couldn't find anything unusual about other parts. As usual the part was not in stock and they ordered one after I paid an advance and it would require around 10 days to reach Kolkata.

FNG2 - Since it would take 10 days for the part to arrive, I got it inspected at another FNG ( this guy Suraj Chouhan is located bang opposite South City mall) and he said that the sound is coming from the rear and not front. I've observed that sometimes the sound feels to come from the front left, sometime from front right and sometimes from the rear. He got the rear wheels opened and found the wheel bearings are worn out and replaced them. While doing this, he also discovered the rear left shock absorbed has developed a leak and would need replacement. I was a bit reluctant at first but then wanted to eliminate all possible options that might be causing the sound. Anyway I was thinking to replace the rear shockers in 3-4 months as there was some knocking sound from the rear on potholes and they were 1,00,000 kms old so gave him a go ahead. But alas the sound is pretty much there and I don't want to visit him again for this issue.

Experts please help me diagnose the problem; I'm not sure if an axle wears out so quickly or is it something else that has worn like sway bar bushing or may be ball joints. The part has arrived yesterday and I would be taking my car this Saturday but I want to eliminate all options that might be the actual cause. The axle costs roughly 8500 plus labor charges.

P.S : My observations are not exhaustive; it is as much I have been able to listen to the noise and memorize the situation it was driven in.
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:45   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupdeb View Post
I'm hearing a noise ..
From the description that if you turn your steering the sound is pronounced it indeed appears to be axle. Yes, axles can wear our prematurely, depending upon the facts if the car has taken hits in bad roads or the axle itself is defective. I have an Alto that had this axle problem 6 months after purchase. Turned out to be an issue with many such cars produced during a specific period. Do check the steering box as well.

Last edited by sbanerjee : 22nd November 2017 at 10:46.
sbanerjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 00:06   #845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post
From the description that if you turn your steering the sound is pronounced it indeed appears to be axle.
Thanks for the reply. It is not like that on turning the steering the sound gets pronounced. It does occur sometimes while taking a turn but many a times it occurs while going straight at slower speed over undulated roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post
Yes, axles can wear our prematurely, depending upon the facts if the car has taken hits in bad roads or the axle itself is defective. Do check the steering box as well.
I've no idea about the life of an axle; but she has clocked 1,00,00 kms. My car has been driven at places without roads and very bad roads as well though. Lets see if changing the driver side axle solves the issue or some other thing needs to be done as well. I'll ask the service center guys to check the steering box ad suspension components for any wear and tear. I'm taking her to the A.S.S this Saturday.
Old 28th November 2017, 20:05   #846
BHPian

Need advise on the sound coming from my elite i20 petrol 2014 model 33k up
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4313122
Old 18th December 2017, 17:16   #847
BHPian

I'm getting sound like 'kad-kad' when I turn the steering of my car. This started right after I got the suspension overhauled.
Initially the sound was almost inaudible, but it increased over time.
The sound isn't related to speed. It comes when the car is stationary, as well as when it's in motion.

When I showed it to the same garage, where I got the suspension overhauled, they said it's got nothing to do with the suspension and it's just the coincidence.

Recently, I've been seeing oil on the driver side footwell carpet. Also, power steering oil level was less when I recently took it to FNG.

Two garages told me that the Rack-Pinion setup will have to be removed and inspected. As per them, the cost of the repair could go up to 6-7K.
I thought of asking for expert opinion here, before they fleece me

What it could be?
The car in question is Santro Xing (Year 2005)

Last edited by pkulkarni.2106 : 18th December 2017 at 17:24.
Old 18th December 2017, 20:11   #848
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
Recently, I've been seeing oil on the driver side footwell carpet. Also, power steering oil level was less when I recently took it to FNG. Two garages told me that the Rack-Pinion setup will have to be removed and inspected. As per them, the cost of the repair could go up to 6-7K.
I cannot comment on the pricing because Santro is a discontinued car, and because of a battery of economic reforms, the costs of almost any goods or service have gone up considerably.

However I can say with confidence that you should not drive the car anymore until the power steering fluid is topped up and the leak, plugged. The sounds that are coming are because of the friction with the gears in the hydraulic setup and if you continue to drive in that state the entire rack-pinion assembly has to be changed at costs exceeding 15-20k.. far more expensive than the above quote.

There are 2 possibilities, the pinion-oil seal is a part that needs to be changed and that'll cost about 3-4k+ labor, or the whole assembly has to be inspected and repaired where necessary, there the costs may go up but not as much as a brand new assembly. I say get it done ASAP, its a small price when it actually is essential to get the car running normally in the first place.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 11:03   #849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post

However I can say with confidence that you should not drive the car anymore until the power steering fluid is topped up and the leak, plugged. The sounds that are coming are because of the friction with the gears in the hydraulic setup and if you continue to drive in that state the entire rack-pinion assembly has to be changed at costs exceeding 15-20k.. far more expensive than the above quote.
Thanks dark.knight!

Actually, the power steering oil level wasn't too low to be a concern. It was just a little lower than the desired level. Also, to give a clear idea, it's reducing about 10-15 ml in over a span of six months.

In any case, I'll take it to the FNG and will ask him to rectify the problem!

Thanks again for your views!
Old 21st December 2017, 17:42   #850
BHPian

When posting earlier, I somehow didn't find the video for the exact problem.
But here's a video which shows exact same noise that I'm talking about:

Last edited by pkulkarni.2106 : 21st December 2017 at 17:45.
Old 21st December 2017, 19:42   #851
BHPian

I have a 2011 BMW 525d with an electric power steering. Recently got the car serviced as well full front suspension overhaul along with front and rear brake pads and rotors (only on the back). I have done around 1300 kms after the service. When i turn the steering wheel i hear squeaky sound. its only at slow speeds or when stationary. At first i thought it was low steering fluid level (experienced same thing in my fortuner, so my mind immediately went there) as i forgot the car has electric power steering. Any ideas what it could be?
Old 21st December 2017, 22:23   #852
BHPian

Hello pkulkarni.2106
I had the exact same issue (oil on driver side carpet) in same car of the same year. Coincidences do happen.
This is due to a rubber seal in steering assembly that starts leaking the oil very very slowly. Nothing to worry from driving point of view as long as you check and top up steering oil reservoir.
The repair cost to me in Gurgaon done by Bosch service had come to about 2500/-, but that was few years ago and the problem was fully resolved.
I would suggest that you take a couple of opinions from hyundai Service centres as well and then take a call.
It is better to get it repaired as the monetary value of our 2005 santro xing is below one lakh rupees and spending huge money on replacement of steering assembly is not justified.
Once you have the oil leak addressed, you will need to get carpet cleaned very well to get oil stains out. But wait for a couple of weeks so that you are sure oil leak is permanently fixed.
Abhishek_Garg is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 18:11   #853
BHPian

A strange sound. There's a faint 'friction' feeling in the steering at 15-30 kmph and a humming sound, which goes away as the speed increases. Something's rubbing against something...16000 km done Polo GT TSI. It's absolutely fine at high speeds, perhaps the tyre and air noise is masking the same.

I suspected tyre roar, loose caliper, caliper pins, misaligned pads, loose dust shield, rear drum - handbrake issue, over-tightening of lug nuts, some suspension component hitting something else... got it aligned and balanced, the noise still persists.
Last option is a bad wheel bearing, but then, it's not like the typical 'helicopter' noise of wheel bearings going bad, which gets louder with speed...(had it in my Swift)

A cursory inspection with an FNG yielded nothing (don't trust ASS with this) - the garage owner said he needed to do a deeper dive into what's happening..

Strange and irritating.
Old 6th March 2018, 14:49   #854
BHPian

Last month, I got the power steering overhauled. I got this done at FNG, who in turn took the power steering assembly to a reputed shop in Pune.
But even after getting it overhauled, I can still hear the kad-kad sound while turning the steering wheel. At the time of taking the car back, the mechanic at FNG told me to wait for a couple of hours, so that the power steering oil would circulate through the assembly before the sound disappears.

But it has been around a month, and there's no sign of that sound going away. So, I took the car back to the same mechanic. This time, he says that the sound is actually from the springs!

Coincidentally, this kad-kad sound had started when I did suspension overhaul last year. Still, I'm not sure whether to believe him that it's the sound from the springs.

Does anyone here know that front suspension springs can make a noise like this?
Old 17th May 2018, 21:32   #855
BHPian

I am having a Palio MJD 1.3 Diesel. I hear a hissing sound from the brakes when driving and on pressing the brake, the sound is gone. What could be the issue ? Need to go for a Bangalore - Kerala drive on Sunday.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks