Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2016, 11:20   #781

Great article , now I know the reason for the noise. All this time I was trying to blame it on every other part but this..
Old 27th June 2016, 17:19   #782
BHPian

Re: What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFoot View Post
Sorry to hear about your issue too. I do hope we get to hear something on this. I'm planning to take my car to the service center to get a thorough check done. The dilemma is I don't know who to trust with that either

Thanks man, did you happen to go to the service station? I checked on internet for the similar sounding issues, and got a long list to look at. Engine oil level, transmission fluid, god knows what else. Guess its another visit at the service station.
Old 1st July 2016, 11:00   #783
BHPian

Guys, would really appreciate your inputs on one issue I encountered. I've been looking for an automatic to replace my city, and came across a really well maintained Civic (2012 model) which seems to tick all the boxes.

Except for one thing. When I engaged D or R (could be in others too but I didn't check) I could hear some shudder. While it isn't intrusive, but noticeable nonetheless with the music off. I asked the owner and he said it's nothing.

Is this something I should be worried about? To be frank this is the biggest concern holding me from going ahead with the deal at the moment.
Old 1st July 2016, 11:10   #784
BHPian

What kind of shudder sound? Does it change (gets louder) with speed? From where exactly you think it's coming?
Old 1st July 2016, 11:40   #785
BHPian

No it disappears when the car starts to move, it's just during the initial few seconds when the transmission is engaging to the selected mode. I didn't feel any vibes on the selector or anything, it seemed to be coming from under the hood.

Last edited by avisidhu : 1st July 2016 at 11:46.
Old 1st July 2016, 11:56   #786
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Guys, would really appreciate your inputs on one issue I encountered. I've been looking for an automatic to replace my city, and came across a really well maintained Civic (2012 model) which seems to tick all the boxes.

Except for one thing. When I engaged D or R (could be in others too but I didn't check) I could hear some shudder. While it isn't intrusive, but noticeable nonetheless with the music off. I asked the owner and he said it's nothing.

Is this something I should be worried about? To be frank this is the biggest concern holding me from going ahead with the deal at the moment.
Probably the engine mounts are gone, which is a common issue with the Civic. You can check the Civic thread and see members who have posted when their mounts had gone. I think the symptoms were similar.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 12:06   #787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post

Pls get the engine mounts checked at an authorized workshop. Shudder can happen when the engine is cold and you engage D or R.

Over time, as the mount fails, vibrations would creep in and you would feel that the engine is getting rough.

A replacement would make the engine feel butter smooth again.

A new engine mount at ASS would cost 8500+ installation. Aftermarket available at lower costs.

Rgds
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 12:21   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Probably the engine mounts are gone, which is a common issue with the Civic. You can check the Civic thread and see members who have posted when their mounts had gone. I think the symptoms were similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
Pls get the engine mounts checked at an authorized workshop. Shudder can happen when the engine is cold and you engage D or R....
Rgds
Thanks Akshay and Vineet. Yes the engine was cold started and I just had a small run of a KM odd, so that's a possibility. The car is run just 33K btw although 4 years old.

If its just the mounts then I'm guessing it shouldn't be a deal breaker. I'll take the car to Honda ASS and get a thorough check up anyway if everything works out.
Old 1st July 2016, 14:48   #789
BHPian

Hello guys... I need help in resolving the grinding noise on a brand new car. The car in discussion is an Alto800 with just 250kms on odo.

Here is the scenario-

1. I crank the engine
2. Let it idle for few moments
3. I rev the engine intermittently softly(like press and release)
4. I hear this grrr...grrr...corresponding to my revving.
5. This seems to be coming from the lower centre area of engine bay.
6. I slot it into gear and accelerate and I again hear the same noise all the time corresponding to the speed.
7. It is worse on top gear with or without AC.
8. Without the accelerator there is absolutely no noise. Just the sweet 'purr'.

This noise is eating my mind. Please advice.
Old 1st July 2016, 16:51   #790
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
6. I slot it into gear and accelerate and I again hear the same noise all the time corresponding to the speed'.

This noise is eating my mind. Please advice.
Can you get the clutch and gearbox area checked?

I guess here is a no grinding when revving in Neutral?!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 17:25   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Can you get the clutch and gearbox area checked?

I guess here is a no grinding when revving in Neutral?!
I reported this to the showroom guys in continuation to other delivery issues that I escalated to Maruti. But all they said was that it is a new clutch and it needs to wear down and set in.

The grinding is still evident even when revving in neutral.
Old 1st July 2016, 17:44   #792
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
But all they said was that it is a new clutch and it needs to wear down and set in.

The grinding is still evident even when revving in neutral.
Can you record that sound and put it up here? At least there'll be a clue in it for the source of the grinding sound.

Don't go with what Maruti his are telling you. They are trying to brush it off. Escalate it through their Complaints section on the website too.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 17:55   #793
BHPian

Quote:
Can you record that sound and put it up here? At least there'll be a clue in it for the source of the grinding sound.

Don't go with what Maruti his are telling you. They are trying to brush it off. Escalate it through their Complaints section on the website too.
Sure. I will find a way to post the audio clip. I am refraining myself from taking the car out due to this :-(
petrolhead_chn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 15:51   #794
BHPian

Quote:
-Update-
I just couldn't record it right. Meanwhile, I managed to complete a 1100km drive across Kumbakonam in 2days and have given it for 1st free service today. Tech said he has identified the source of sound. Now eagerly awaiting for the delivery.
Old 15th August 2016, 18:21   #795
Senior - BHPian

Help Needed.

I get a click/Clunk kind of sound every time I go over patches of bad roads or over the small speed breakers that one finds in the malls and IT parks. This seems to come from the right hand side, can someone help me identify the source of the issue?

I have made the A** listen to this audio recording, but they were clueless. I could not reproduce the sound with them on board, but it is very prominent otherwise.
Attached Files
File Type: rar AUD-20160815-WA0002.rar (13.7 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by dass : 15th August 2016 at 18:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks