Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2014, 19:20   #631
BHPian

Re: What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
The timing chain and tensioner needs replacement. Both the items are cheap.
While you are at it- check the chain guides for wear and the valve rockers for excess free play.
This timing chain noise gets pronounced if the engine oil is more than 2000kms old or if it has lost viscosity. I hope you are using the correct grade of engine oil.
I'll get them replaced.
The oil being used is TVS' own TRU4 Synthetic oil. The oil is only 1.5K km old. The noise existed even when the oil was completely new.
I didn't find any unusual play in the rocker arm when I adjusted the valve clearance about 3K km back. But will still check it when I get it done.

Thank you. The post was really helpful
Old 1st December 2014, 23:04   #632
BHPian

My Elite i20 petrol is 40 days old have done around 2100 Km till now. Under heavy breaking just before the car come to complete stop there is a loud thud noise. Is it normal?

Apart from this there is no other noise even while driving on bad roads.

I am not very well versed with cars as this is my first car. It happens both times when I break with or with out pressing the clutch pedal.

I'm little worried. Please help me out.

Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 09:50   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckranjan View Post
My Elite i20 petrol is 40 days old have done around 2100 Km till now. Under heavy breaking just before the car come to complete stop there is a loud thud noise. Is it normal?

Apart from this there is no other noise even while driving on bad roads.

I am not very well versed with cars as this is my first car. It happens both times when I break with or with out pressing the clutch pedal.

I'm little worried. Please help me out.

Thanks
Mods please delete if not according to forum rules

Please if any one can throw some light as HASS is pretty much useless and they are saying its the ABS kicking in but I'm not convinced.

Help please!!!!

Last edited by ckranjan : 3rd December 2014 at 09:52.
Old 3rd December 2014, 20:40   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckranjan
Under heavy breaking just before the car come to complete stop there is a loud thud noise. Is it normal?
From where does that noise come, Front or Rear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckranjan
HASS is saying its the ABS kicking in but I'm not convinced.
Are you aware of ABS behaviour under heavy braking? I mean are you aware of the fact that when ABS Cuts in, you feel vibrations from Brake Pedal.

There is no noise from ABS system when it is acting.
Old 4th December 2014, 20:53   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
From where does that noise come, Front or Rear?

Are you aware of ABS behaviour under heavy braking? I mean are you aware of the fact that when ABS Cuts in, you feel vibrations from Brake Pedal.

There is no noise from ABS system when it is acting.

The noise comes from the front. It's the same noise that comes when you go over a speed breaker at high speed.

I'm aware of the pulsating feeling of break pedals when ABS kicks in.
Old 4th December 2014, 21:05   #636
BANNED

Quote:
Can you get the front suspension checked?

There is some kind of play or lose bit i feel that is moving when load is encountered.

Anurag.
Old 4th December 2014, 23:20   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Can you get the front suspension checked?

There is some kind of play or lose bit i feel that is moving when load is encountered.

Anurag.

I'm also thinking in the same lines. Will get the front suspension checked. Also there are no suspension noises even on bad roads. How is it possible? Can you shed some light on this.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 11th December 2014, 21:43   #638
BHPian

I have changed tyres on my i10 Kappa2 a couple of months back to 185/60/R14. Recently I have noticed a clinking sound coming from the front right from 30 km/hr onwards. The sound is more pronounced on uneven bad roads.

I can hear this sound clearly only if all the windows are rolled up. When I rolled down the windows to check if something was wrong outside, I could not hear it due to the noise from outside.

I also tried to reproduce the issue standstill and turning the steering but the sound only comes whilst the car is moving

I am planning to take the car to service this weekend. Any help on identifying this issue would be appreciated

Last edited by eyesice : 11th December 2014 at 21:44. Reason: Added more info
Old 11th December 2014, 22:14   #639
BANNED

Quote:
I'm also thinking in the same lines. Will get the front suspension checked. Also there are no suspension noises even on bad roads. How is it possible? Can you shed some light on this.

Thanks for your reply.
Sorry, I missed your post completely.

I guess the load on the suspension when it goes over a bump or during hard braking is high as compared when going over bad roads. So the sound may not be as pronounced as when going over a hump. Just my assumption though.

Any update on the issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
I have changed tyres on my i10 Kappa2 a couple of months back to 185/60/R14. Recently I have noticed a clinking sound coming from the front right from 30 km/hr onwards. The sound is more pronounced on uneven bad roads.

I also tried to reproduce the issue standstill and turning the steering but the sound only comes whilst the car is moving
How old is the car and how many kms has the car done?

Looking your description, the culprit is wheel bearings which make sound when in motion and not at standstill. Check the bearings and change them!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 22:27   #640
BHPian

Quote:

How old is the car and how many kms has the car done?

Looking your description, the culprit is wheel bearings which make sound when in motion and not at standstill. Check the bearings and change them!
The car is more than 2.5 years old and has completed around 23000 KM. How much do these bearings usually cost?
Old 11th December 2014, 23:01   #641
BANNED

Quote:
The car is more than 2.5 years old and has completed around 23000 KM. How much do these bearings usually cost?
Apologies buddy, I don't remember the price actually.

Did a bit googling and found this link, So expect prices in the similar ranges.

http://genuineparts.in/by-vehicle/hyundai/i10.html

What i suggest you is to first get it checked and zer down onto which bearing has gone bust. Then buy the wheel bearings at Hyundai spares dealer and get it changed at an FNG for a cheaper cost.

Looking at the cost which is 1K why not buy 4 for safe side?!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 16:47   #642
Senior - BHPian

Is My Clutch Bearing Busted?

Hi guys,

I own a 2012 VW Polo 1.6 and have done around 41k kms till date. I have noticed a slight grinding sound when the car is on neutral. The sound however disappears once the clutch is pressed. If I release the clutch, the sound appears again. I have read around and have been told that this is a symptom of a busted clutch bearing. I have also read on the internet that the problem is sometimes solved by simple lubrication.

I have also been told that to change the clutch bearing, the entire gearbox needs to be removed which is a big job. Is this true? My car is still under extended warranty so will this be covered under the warranty?

Kindly help.
Old 22nd December 2014, 22:44   #643
BANNED

Re: Is My Clutch Bearing Busted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post

I have also been told that to change the clutch bearing, the entire gearbox needs to be removed which is a big job. Is this true? My car is still under extended warranty so will this be covered under the warranty?

Kindly help.
You may need to look at the clutch release bearings which I guess have gone bust.

Anurag.
Old 22nd December 2014, 23:56   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I can hear this sound clearly only if all the windows are rolled up. When I rolled down the windows to check if something was wrong outside, I could not hear it due to the noise from outside.

I am planning to take the car to service this weekend. Any help on identifying this issue would be appreciated
Since I have not heard the sound, I can't exactly tell you what it is. But look at these three areas in the order of how I list them down

1) Caliper Pin ( Needs to be re greased)

2) Stabilizer bar ( Excess play, will need to be changed )

3) Strut Bush ( Needs to be replaced)

Could be either one of them, get the first one checked and if your problem gets solved, forget about the rest 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi guys,

I own a 2012 VW Polo 1.6 and have done around 41k kms till date. I have noticed a slight grinding sound when the car is on neutral. The sound however disappears once the clutch is pressed. If I release the clutch, the sound appears again. I have read around and have been told that this is a symptom of a busted clutch bearing. I have also read on the internet that the problem is sometimes solved by simple lubrication.

Kindly help.
I think its the normal gearbox noise. Clutch bearing sound comes when you depress the clutch pedal, not when you release it.

Does this sound come only when the car has been cold all day and then you start it ? Does the sound stay even after everything (by everything I mean gearbox oil) has warmed up after some kilometers of drive ?
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2014, 12:05   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You may need to look at the clutch release bearings which I guess have gone bust.

Anurag.
This is what many suspect and what I have read on the internet. Is this a big job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

I think its the normal gearbox noise. Clutch bearing sound comes when you depress the clutch pedal, not when you release it.

Does this sound come only when the car has been cold all day and then you start it ? Does the sound stay even after everything (by everything I mean gearbox oil) has warmed up after some kilometers of drive ?
Well it is definitely not a normal sound. The sound goes away when I press the clutch but is evident when the clutch is released. There is a mild grinding sound heard constantly but also a knocking sound that is heard every now and then regardless of whether the car is cold or run for kilometers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks