Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2014, 12:05   #616
Distinguished - BHPian

What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit mishra View Post
I am reassured. It will be a small thing, as you say. But should I go back to them? Or just get it done from a small stand alone MASS I know. If it is a small fix I may be charged big bucks at a big dealer MASS. Should I take the car immediately or maybe just wait for a week? Just wanted to know if someone else has also faced this peculiar issue in Ritz/Wagon R after 20k service at MASS?

My two cents, after a repair/service job there should not be any noises, period. Its most likely nothing serious as suggested, but still I wouldn't accept a repair job that leaves me with unexplained noises. Given what they seem or appear to have been working on its most likely something with the brakes. After you have driven for a while just check the temperature of the brakes, or just the rims near the centre/bolts. If one of them feels considerable warmer then the other three, you have found the culprit. If its too hot to touch you need to get it seen to immediately.
Good luck,
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2014, 14:05   #617
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit mishra View Post
I am reassured. It will be a small thing, as you say.
Actually the first sentence in my original post was in sarcasm towards the SA's, and their take-it-easy attitude towards strange noises after service which they mostly never fail to create.

As I've said towards the end of last post, noises specially after greasing of brake parts should never exist. Had they replaced the brake pads, then yes sometimes they need a few days of driving to settle in. Preferably it should be sorted out at the same authorised station who created the noise so that they are made aware of it. Since we at the forum cannot possibly have every information of any said vehicle, its upto you to decide based on convenience when to check it out. I've mentioned very clearly that no new noises are acceptable specially after service. These SA's and mechanics always trivialise them when customers complain, which is wrong.
Old 20th November 2014, 21:51   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Actually the first sentence in my original post was in sarcasm towards the SA's, and their take-it-easy attitude towards strange noises after service which they mostly never fail to create.

As I've said towards the end of last post, noises specially after greasing of brake parts should never exist. Had they replaced the brake pads, then yes sometimes they need a few days of driving to settle in. Preferably it should be sorted out at the same authorised station who created the noise so that they are made aware of it. Since we at the forum cannot possibly have every information of any said vehicle, its upto you to decide based on convenience when to check it out. I've mentioned very clearly that no new noises are acceptable specially after service. These SA's and mechanics always trivialise them when customers complain, which is wrong.
That is cent percent true. I am yet to come across a SA who would take good care of customers. One of the authorized service centers here uses all types of wrong Engine oil that causes excess sound in many Diesel Maruti swifts. That is a stand alone service center. My quandary is - If you visit a standalone MASS here they will charge you less and they are very polite too, but they do not use the correct Engine oil brand for Diesel swift. On the other hand if you visit a Dealer workshop they will charge a hefty amount but at least you get good Engine oil, Gear oil for your car.
My problem was solved yesterday. A rag had got stuck in my axle. It had cement attached to it. The standalone MASS guy does these jobs well. The problem was solved for just Rs. 200. Dealer workshop would have billed me Rs. 500.
Old 20th November 2014, 23:22   #619
Senior - BHPian

There is some Tick-Tick Sound (similar to that of Timing chain of bikes. I am not so familiar with Timing Chain sound from cars) from engine bay at every cold start irrespective of surrounding temperature.
When I cold start the car, I idle for 30 seconds and then shift to 1st gear and put the car in motion.
But this Tick-Tick sound remains for some time-may be 1-2 kms of sedate driving and then stops on its own. The sound volume is directly proportional to rise in engine rpm for that distance.

Can experts please help me with this?
Car is Indigo XL Dicor.

Edit: The car has Timing Belt and it was replaced with new one around 23k kms ago.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 20th November 2014 at 23:40.
Old 22nd November 2014, 19:09   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
There is some Tick-Tick Sound (similar to that of Timing chain of bikes. I am not so familiar with Timing Chain sound from cars) from engine bay at every cold start irrespective of surrounding temperature.
When I cold start the car, I idle for 30 seconds and then shift to 1st gear and put the car in motion.
But this Tick-Tick sound remains for some time-may be 1-2 kms of sedate driving and then stops on its own. The sound volume is directly proportional to rise in engine rpm for that distance.

Can experts please help me with this?
Car is Indigo XL Dicor.

Edit: The car has Timing Belt and it was replaced with new one around 23k kms ago.
Is this tick tick sound present just before starting? If it is present while the car is in ignition and disappears as soon as you start driving, you have no problems at all. Quite common in Indicas and Indigos. But as you have stated that the sound stays for 1-2 kms, I suppose you must get the timing belt checked. Sometimes there is gear roll over sound in cars that stays for some time, especially in the winter season if you park the car in the open. There is a distinct slight tick tick sound in our Ritz that disappears once the gear oil starts flowing properly.
In winters the gear oil becomes thick in the morning, very thick. It takes some time to flow properly. Try changing to a 75w90 gear oil. I changed back to 75w90 from 80w90 and now the sound is gone.
Try to gauge the exact location of the sound-Is it from the left side or the right side? If it is from the right side it is surely the timing chain.
Old 22nd November 2014, 20:06   #621
BHPian

Not sure where to post this since it is related to my motorcycle. Posting it here since it is related to engine and since I did not find any other related thread.

Anyway, my TVS Apache RTR 160 starts making non uniform tick tick noise when the engine gets hot. At first I thought it's the loose valve noise. But the noise didn't go away even after adjusting valve clearance according to company spec. One more reason for eliminating valve noise is because I can still hear them along with this noise. When the engine is cold, I can't hear this noise. Valve noise seems more prominent at that time. But this noise appears after riding for more than 30-40 min, especially in bumper to bumper traffic.
I'm starting to think that the noise is from the timing chain. I've heard that the timing chain tensioner in RTR wears out as early as 15K km
Mine has done around 22K. This noise is present since almost 2-3K km.

The only effect that this might have had on the bike is that the bike sometimes backfires when letting go off the throttle after revving to 6-7K RPM. This happens on an average of around once in 100 km.
No other issues. Performance is as good as a new bike. Fuel efficiency is also great or may be I should say, a bit too much (45-47 kmpl in BLR)

I've uploaded two audio files containing the noise. The noise that i'm talking about is the most prominent one that can be heard in the clips.

Please listen to the audio clips and provide your thoughts.

Mods, please move it to an appropriate thread if necessary.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Audio.zip (376.5 KB, 298 views)
Old 22nd November 2014, 20:21   #622
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Anyway, my TVS Apache RTR 160 starts making non uniform tick tick noise when the engine gets hot. At first I thought it's the loose valve noise. But the noise didn't go away even after adjusting valve clearance according to company spec. One more reason for eliminating valve noise is because I can still hear them along with this noise. When the engine is cold, I can't hear this noise.
Looks like timing chain sound.

Do get it checked once and do change it if necessary.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 20:41   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Looks like timing chain sound.

Do get it checked once and do change it if necessary.

Anurag.
Thanks Anurag. I was waiting for someone with real knowledge to confirm the issue since I don't trust the ASS folks. Also, they won't even bother to diagnose any issue until you ask them do something specifically. Will get it done in a week.

OT I'm not getting any alert when I'm quoted even thought the feature is turned on in UserCP. Strange.
Old 22nd November 2014, 21:20   #624
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks Anurag. I was waiting for someone with real knowledge to confirm the issue since I don't trust the ASS folks. Also, they won't even bother to diagnose any issue until you ask them do something specifically. Will get it done in a week.

OT I'm not getting any alert when I'm quoted even thought the feature is turned on in UserCP. Strange.
If you don't trust the ASC then go to an FNG you have contacts with. Work will be better, faster and reliable.

OT: Even i haven't got any alert / quote message.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 12:30   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If you don't trust the ASC then go to an FNG you have contacts with. Work will be better, faster and reliable.

OT: Even i haven't got any alert / quote message.

Anurag.
Thanks. Yeah. I'm looking for some mechanics to get my general servicing/maintenance done. However, for stuff like this, I'll take it to the ASS since I can send a complaint to the company if they mess something up
Old 25th November 2014, 15:48   #626
BHPian

We have a Maruti Ritz 1.2, 2009 vintage, completed 32000 kms last week. Of late I have been hearing this drumming (krrr krr..) like sound on moderate to heavy braking. While I heavily suspect brake pads being at the end of their lives I was told by SA at MASS during last service when I asked for brake pad change that its got some more life in it. Last service was done at 27500 kms in April. Another area of suspicion are the callipers. What kind of noise could this be ? Want to get rid of this soon as its pretty loud and irritating sometimes.
Old 25th November 2014, 15:56   #627
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswin ajith View Post
We have a Maruti Ritz 1.2, 2009 vintage, completed 32000 kms last week. Of late I have been hearing this drumming (krrr krr..)
Check if brake pads are near the end of their lives. If it is a grinding noise, like metal rubbing against metal while applying brakes, then most likely the pads need replacement. Club that job with caliper greasing. Make sure the technician uses proper caliper grease for the job.

And 2009 Vintage? LOL!

Last edited by saket77 : 25th November 2014 at 15:58.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 15:59   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Check if brake pads are near the end of their lives. If it is a grinding noise, like metal against metal rubbing, then most likely the pads need replacement. Club that job with caliper greasing. Make sure the technician uses proper caliper grease for the job.
I think that is exactly the kind of noise I am hearing. Will visit the A.S.S soon for these two jobs.
5 years is not such a long time still does feel a bit old.

Thanks!!

Last edited by aswin ajith : 25th November 2014 at 16:03. Reason: Adding more content.
Old 25th November 2014, 18:51   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, my TVS Apache RTR 160 starts making non uniform tick tick noise when the engine gets hot. At first I thought it's the loose valve noise. But the noise didn't go away even after adjusting valve clearance according to company spec. One more reason for eliminating valve noise is because I can still hear them along with this noise. When the engine is cold, I can't hear this noise. Valve noise seems more prominent at that time. But this noise appears after riding for more than 30-40 min, especially in bumper to bumper traffic. .
The timing chain and tensioner needs replacement. Both the items are cheap.
While you are at it- check the chain guides for wear and the valve rockers for excess free play.
This timing chain noise gets pronounced if the engine oil is more than 2000kms old or if it has lost viscosity. I hope you are using the correct grade of engine oil.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 19:14   #630
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Check if brake pads are near the end of their lives. If it is a grinding noise, like metal rubbing against metal while applying brakes, then most likely the pads need replacement. Club that job with caliper greasing. Make sure the technician uses proper caliper grease for the job.
!
If its a really metal on metal chances are your brake pads are way past the end of their livers. What is happening is that the rivets that hold the brake material on the brake shoe, normally are set into a little recess so they don't touch the brake / rotor (or drum in case of drum brakes)/ As the pads wear, this recess in which the rivets sit become less and at some point the rivets will start touching the rotor/drum. That's when you will hear metal to metal screeching sound. You are past the life of brake pads, because now you will also are likely to have to replace the rotors or drum. Have a look at the rotors and if you can see very obvious circular scratches you need to replace them, or maybe you can get have them fixed on a lathe, by turning them down a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
The timing chain and tensioner needs replacement. Both the items are cheap.
While you are at it- check the chain guides for wear and the valve rockers for excess free play.
Before you start replacing, even cheap parts, its usually a good idea to check and diagnose first. So inspect and measure them first. The workshop manual has the specifications and or test spec for the chain, but on both the chain and tensioner I would do a visual inspection including the various sprockets to check for any signs of undue wear or otherwise. There are several procedures for measuring the timing chain, a proper mechanic should know and know how to do it. Could be as simple as measuring link length or relative position of the sprockets etc.

Jeroen
Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 25th November 2014 at 19:19.

Most Viewed