Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2014, 13:55   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipt123 View Post
This sound usually comes while taking turns. eg Turning into an incline slope .
Hi,

Either the tyre is scraping somewhere, or this is usually a drive shaft CV joint sound.

Please check is drive-shaft boot is OK.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 16:02   #527
BHPian

Thanks for the quick reply dhanush, will get this checked ASAP. Doesn't seem that the tyre is scraping the wheel well, Will get the Driveshaft boots checked.
Old 14th February 2014, 20:44   #528
Senior - BHPian

Innova: Intermittent Strange squeal from engine bay

Hi All
Will be glad for pointers as to this problem.
Started Innova (diesel) at 7 AM today, everything sounded ok. Now while driving , suddenly a sound "ksshhhh,kssshh , kssshhhh" was clearly audible from somewhere inside the engine bay, and above the sound of the engine itself.
I stopped the car, engine idling, but the sound persisted.
Later opened the bonnet, to locate the general area where this was coming from. But could not spot any tell tale signs of anything fouling up the belt (the only visible moving part).

The sound appeared to be coming from near the rotating shafts.

Turned ignition off, and tried rotating the fan by hand. Spun with hardly a whisper.

Turned ignition on, no sound. So put the car in gear and drove. After driving a few meters through a wet patch and making a turn, suddenly the sound reappears, but lower in volume.

No indicator lights on the dashboard showing anything amiss. No loss in power - nothing.

Later took the car out for my commute to office in Gurgaon. Drove the whole distance (about 30 km) without turning on radio - just listening for that sound to come back. It was raining all the time, but no sound at all.

On the commute back home, again no sound.

Could it be a belt issue?
Old 14th February 2014, 23:44   #529
BHPian

Re: Innova: Intermittent Strange squeal from engine bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Hi All
Will be glad for pointers as to this problem.
Started Innova (diesel) at 7 AM today, everything sounded ok. Now while driving , suddenly a sound "ksshhhh,kssshh , kssshhhh" was clearly audible from somewhere inside the engine bay, and above the sound of the engine itself.
If the belts are more than 3 years old then most likely it is the source of sound.

As the belt starts to age, the first symptom is kssh-khssh sound during cold morning starts.
Later on when the belt develops crack and starts to slip, it will squeak continuously for 5-10 minutes till the belt heats up.
Old 16th February 2014, 09:59   #530
BHPian

Hi

I have a Alto K10 VXI with 16k clocked in almost 2 years of ownership.

Am getting a faint rattle (more like pieces of metal/coins sliding along a surface) when the revs rise just after an upshift (usually 2nd gear and above) There is no loose change in the dash so thats ruled out

This started about 2 weeks back on my way back from Chikmagalur (the roads leading up to the homestay was bad with loads of loose stones, nothing that this car hasnt navigated before)

Initially I thought the sound could be heard when the AC was on but this is present w/o the AC as well.

Should I be worried?

Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 13:03   #531
BHPian

Any suggestions with this? Just to add, the rattle is prominent after the AC has been used and switched off. No sound when the car is stationery and engine is being idled/revved
Old 21st February 2014, 22:42   #532
BHPian

No ones willing to help a poor alto owner :(?
Old 21st February 2014, 23:22   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Any suggestions with this? Just to add, the rattle is prominent after the AC has been used and switched off. No sound when the car is stationery and engine is being idled/revved
It should not be anything to do with your engine/internal parts when you say this sound is not heard while stationary and especially when you rev/idle in stationary.

If it comes only on a running, this could probably be one of the below.

1. Some loose stones (smaller ones) lying somewhere on the under chassis
2. Any of the screw/nut would have loosen and there is a kind of metal to metal vibrating contact that happens on the running.

Better take it to the service center where they can examine from under and find out the cause easily.
connect2prashan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 20:52   #534
BHPian

Guys my car is Swift VDi run 82k KM.

I'm getting a sound like air escaping from the front right shock absorber whenever the car goes over a bumper or pothole at slow speed.

The shock absorber was replaced a few month back.

Also, the SA asked me to get the timing chain replaced as there is some "sound". But I can't identify the noise. Can you please enlighten me about the timing chain noise? What to look for?

Also, there is a faint screeching sound from the front right side when I apply brake to stop the car from slow speed. Lets say that I'm braking from 30KMPH to stop by applying slow brake. The brake was serviced about 8 month ago. The noise was there before the service and it was present after the service too. I was in a hurry and didn't check.
Old 13th March 2014, 17:43   #535
BHPian

My in-laws own a Micra which is about 3 years old now.

To cut a long story short - The car was having a a clunk - clunk sound from the rear left since the day of purchase. Marikar Nissan Trivandrum did multiple services and replacements under warranty of the rear suspension and still the issue persisted.

There is a Bosch authorized service center near Technopark and I took the car there yesterday after hearing good feedback. Arun, who runs the place took a TD and confirmed that it was nothing to do with the suspension and asked me to come back an hour later.

One hour later I come back to see the rear bumper and tail lights removed. Did a long TD and not a single sound except tyre noise.

The problem was a missing bolt which is used to mount the bumper. Nissan Cochin (from where we bought the car) forgot to put it back when they installed the rear parking sensors
Old 13th March 2014, 18:09   #536
Senior - BHPian

I have a new Dzire VDI, run about 10k kms and a strange sounds comes from the seat belt when I am buckled up. there is a very faint screech noise and I realized today (The sound has been there for over 6 months) that the noise almost synchronizes with my breathing, meaning when the belt tightens when I breath in, there is a noise. what could it be? And before anyone has any wild imaginations, I am a moderate physic guy and my tummy isn't out much.

Last edited by dass : 13th March 2014 at 18:11.
Old 13th March 2014, 18:47   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I have a new Dzire VDI, run about 10k kms and a strange sounds comes from the seat belt when I am buckled up. there is a very faint screech noise and I realized today (The sound has been there for over 6 months) that the noise almost synchronizes with my breathing, meaning when the belt tightens when I breath in, there is a noise. what could it be? And before anyone has any wild imaginations, I am a moderate physic guy and my tummy isn't out much.

Hey try to clip on your seat belt into the co passenger side clip. And see if the noise still persist.
Old 26th March 2014, 23:07   #538
BHPian

Make: Toyota Fortuner - AT. 2013. Done: 17000 kms.

Issue: there is squeaking/rattling noise from the dashboard. When you put a finger next to the hazard button (above AC display panel) the noise goes away completely.

It is not a loud nose but persistent and irritating. One need not put pressure on the spot.

What should I be doing? Take it to service centre? or are there home remedies for this problem?

The below image shows the spot. This is my friend Pankaj who helped by putting his finger on the dash to show the exact spot.

What's that sound?-simba-dash_-20140326_202746.jpg
Old 27th March 2014, 00:50   #539
Senior - BHPian

Could be a wiring harness that is rubbing underneath the dash. Insert a fingernail just above the coin holder/ashtray and prise open the central area to check further.
Old 2nd April 2014, 15:34   #540
Senior - BHPian

Sound of Water Flow from Dashboard when A/c is ON.

There is some Water flow sound coming from Dashboard when the A/C is ON. Did not check when the A/C is OFF. The sound is more audible when the Engine Rpm is @1800-2250.

On 22-3-2014, I got the A/c Gas emptied, vaccummed, filled new one from a bottle (500gms). The capacity as mentioned on the Sticker pasted on Metal Strip () ahead of Air Filter was @720 or so (the sticker has got torn now). The cooling is good.

Is the sound due to low gas filled? The shop owner is a friend of my Dad. He said 500 gms is correct level and not to worry.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks