Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2014, 16:50   #601
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Torque View Post
Apart from the delay in cranking I don't see or hear any other things.

Is there anything specific I should look for?
A delay in cranking does indicate a weak battery.

So try changing it temporarily and see if the sound comes.

Anurag.
Old 28th September 2014, 17:50   #602
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevy Cruze Start up Noise

Quote:
Anand,

My Cruze is an MT and yes I do press the clutch while starting.
Have you tried starting without the clutch pedal depressed? Did you hear the sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
A delay in cranking does indicate a weak battery.

So try changing it temporarily and see if the sound comes.

Anurag.
Could be a starter motor about to pack up - as well.
Old 29th September 2014, 11:55   #603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
  1. How is the clutch flywheel connected to a weak battery?
  2. Is this a known issue with the Cruze in regards to batteries dying so quickly?
  3. I have installed Skoda horns, upgraded the headlights to 110/90 with a cut out and two additional rear speakers, would these additions drain out my battery within two years?

Need Advise

Cheers
Hi, sorry - saw this thread a bit late!.

My advice is to get your battery checked immediately and replaced if needed. My Cruze MT also had the same issues when my OEM battery went 'weak' within 2.5 years. It does lead to unusual metallic noises during starting including excessive engine shuddering during cranking. I was even advised by an independent expert that it can easily lead to the starter motor solenoid and the engine mounts getting damaged.

I paid 10k for my Exide battery after factoring in the exchange for the old one. Please note that the Cruze battery is a bespoke one and has some attachments on top - this makes the OEM replacement very easy and also makes it difficult to fit other brands/sizes/DIN.

Please check carefully before buying!
Old 29th September 2014, 12:31   #604
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: What's that sound?

Quote:
I am off late hearing a funny noise when starting the engine, it basically sounds like "plonk" or say a fall of a steel plate kind of noise.
Does this happen when cranking, or moving away from a standstill? If it's the latter, that is due to the brakes jamming (common occurrence in the monsoons).
Old 29th September 2014, 13:41   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hi, sorry - saw this thread a bit late!.

My advice is to get your battery checked immediately and replaced if needed. My Cruze MT also had the same issues when my OEM battery went 'weak' within 2.5 years. It does lead to unusual metallic noises during starting including excessive engine shuddering during cranking. I was even advised by an independent expert that it can easily lead to the starter motor solenoid and the engine mounts getting damaged.

I paid 10k for my Exide battery after factoring in the exchange for the old one. Please note that the Cruze battery is a bespoke one and has some attachments on top - this makes the OEM replacement very easy and also makes it difficult to fit other brands/sizes/DIN.

Please check carefully before buying!
Sure, I will probably go later during the day and trying using a service battery from a dealer to check if the noise persists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Does this happen when cranking, or moving away from a standstill? If it's the latter, that is due to the brakes jamming (common occurrence in the monsoons).
GTO, this happens when I crank , I don't hear any other noises once the engine is on.

Last edited by mobike008 : 29th September 2014 at 14:12. Reason: back to back posts
Old 29th September 2014, 15:13   #606
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Have you tried starting without the clutch pedal depressed? Did you hear the sound?

Could be a starter motor about to pack up - as well.
Yes, that's why I asked that question. It would be interesting to check if there is noticeable difference between "cranking with clutch pressed" and "cranking without clutch pressed".
Old 29th September 2014, 16:51   #607
Distinguished - BHPian

Like in some other cars, unless one presses down the Cruze clutch the starter will not engage at all. So no way to check this :-)
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 17:39   #608
Distinguished - BHPian

That's good. This actually avoids unnecessary load on starter motor (as per my skoda owner manual). Starter motor should be alright then.
Old 29th September 2014, 20:23   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Yes, that's why I asked that question. It would be interesting to check if there is noticeable difference between "cranking with clutch pressed" and "cranking without clutch pressed".
yes sir. that's what's got me thinking if the "clunk" is due to some problem with the pressure plate mechanism... but don't want to jump to conclusions just yet.

Old 2nd October 2014, 19:48   #610
BHPian

Hi All,

Sorry for the delayed response, as "itwasntme" advised, changing the battery played the trick.

I don't hear any noise while cranking now

But I am still intrigued to know the link between a battery and the clunking noise.

Cheers
Old 2nd October 2014, 20:47   #611
BANNED

Quote:
But I am still intrigued to know the link between a battery and the clunking noise.
If the battery is weak then the starter motor will be struggling to extract the power from the battery to start the engine.

A weak battery will not let the engine start quick delaying and putting load on the motor.

Anurag.
Old 1st November 2014, 07:08   #612
BHPian

Re: What's that sound ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
From few days I am noticing the following:

Whenever I fire up the engine, I hear a metallic 'clunk' kind of noise just before it starts. Also same kind of noise comes when its being shut off. It appears as if the engine is touching something when it shudders/shakes before coming into life or when it is switched off. What could be the reason? Engine mounts?

Car: Ford Figo Diesel
Kms: 20000
Year: 2010
Hi Blowhorn,
There is a similar sound in the ford ikon Diesel 1.8D. It is quite annoying but some people have adapted to the sound. The ford Ikon's Engine mounts are very rugged and strong. So you may safely rule out engine mount issues. I have never driven ford cars, but if you find the same sound while driving, do perform a thorough check up of the car.
Old 13th November 2014, 14:08   #613
BHPian

Hi, Can anyone tell me what is this? I personally believe many swift, ritz, dzire owners would have faced this problem. Just one week ago I did caliper brakes greasing, drum brakes greasing, wheel alignment, balancing, tyre rotation in the ritz. Now there is a slight grinding sound at times. It is rare. The SA tells me that after caliper brakes greasing and all these jobs, the brakes blend in after 2-3 weeks or 500 kms of driving. Is this true? I did not believe his story. This sound is extremely rare. Maybe some parts of the brake are coming in contact with wheels. Suggestions
Old 13th November 2014, 18:51   #614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit mishra View Post
Now there is a slight grinding sound at times. It is rare. The SA tells me that after caliper brakes greasing and all these jobs, the brakes blend in after 2-3 weeks or 500 kms of driving.
SA's will always induce some part noise after a job and pat us on the back saying there's nothing to worry, pretty much the same everywhere.

Coming to your query, is this a front discs rear drums setup? If so where does the noise come from? Usually greasing should not result in any grinding, infact it should make the brakes smoother. If any small stone chip is stuck in the caliper it can make a grinding sound. I do not think brake pads or rotors are worn since the guys at service would've noticed it and informed you. Since it happened after service it may be a small fix. If the noise is a squeal/whistle then it may even be light rust build-up on the discs which can be sanded down. Since the frequency is rare guessing is hard & its best to have them take a look at the entire assembly again when possible, if the grinding continues. Newly occurring grinding/friction noise isn't normal in cars.

Last edited by dark.knight : 13th November 2014 at 19:00.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2014, 10:16   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
SA's will always induce some part noise after a job and pat us on the back saying there's nothing to worry, pretty much the same everywhere.

Coming to your query, is this a front discs rear drums setup? If so where does the noise come from? Usually greasing should not result in any grinding, infact it should make the brakes smoother. If any small stone chip is stuck in the caliper it can make a grinding sound. I do not think brake pads or rotors are worn since the guys at service would've noticed it and informed you. Since it happened after service it may be a small fix. If the noise is a squeal/whistle then it may even be light rust build-up on the discs which can be sanded down. Since the frequency is rare guessing is hard & its best to have them take a look at the entire assembly again when possible, if the grinding continues. Newly occurring grinding/friction noise isn't normal in cars.
I am reassured. It will be a small thing, as you say. But should I go back to them? Or just get it done from a small stand alone MASS I know. If it is a small fix I may be charged big bucks at a big dealer MASS. Should I take the car immediately or maybe just wait for a week? Just wanted to know if someone else has also faced this peculiar issue in Ritz/Wagon R after 20k service at MASS?

Last edited by adit mishra : 14th November 2014 at 10:18. Reason: More details

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks