Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2019, 15:18   #916
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
There's a timing chain that's internal so it should be fine. I'll check the coil and spark plug connector. I thought modern cars don't have a distributor cap or am I wrong ?
Any other possibilities ?
Thanks for the advice
You are partially right. Many cars have distributor-less ignition systems, but since I don't know which car we are talking about, I added this into the checklist.

Regarding timing chain/ belt, if the sound is originating from that area then it could well be the timing belt/chain tensioner.
Old 14th September 2019, 18:09   #917
Senior - BHPian

Im getting a sound from the alternator belt when the car has just been started or when its being driven at really low speeds. As the car speeds up the sound disappears. I had replaced the belt a few months ago and got it changed again last week but the sound is coming again.

Before going to the FnG who services and maintains the car I wanted some inputs from bhpians.
Old 24th September 2019, 09:53   #918
BHPian

Hey guys,

I have a 2012 Swift Petrol and have noticed a strange tak-tak sound in the cabin when I turn the ignition ON (ACC mode). The sound is not very consistent in its behavior - sometimes it doesn't appear at all, sometimes it disappears after a few seconds, other times it remains even after starting the car and persists for the entire drive. Any idea what this sound is and the seriousness of it?

Old 20th October 2019, 16:15   #919
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi folks. My jetta was recently idling for a longer period of time and the radiator fan kicked in as usual. However what I did notice is that during shut down, there was a chic chic sound which was quite noticeable. The air con fan wasn't making this sound either at all.

- What could be the issue here? Am I looking at a complete radiator fan set replacement?

- the car was driven through a lot of water. Can it be due to this?
Old 14th February 2020, 15:48   #920
BHPian

Random loud sound while cruising at speed

I had a weird experience recently and would like to understand potential causes.

Part 1 - I was driving from Hyderabad to Aurangabad in my X3 30D on Feb 6. On the smooth Tuljabad - Aurangabad 4 lane sector I did some reasonably quick driving in Sports mode for about an hour or so and then eased off to a lesser cruising speed. At one point, with an empty road ahead and around, while I was at about 110-120 kmph or so, I heard/ felt two back to back thud sounds from the car. It sounded like the pop sound when compressed air releases or, as my wife felt, something soft hitting the car (but twice!). I also felt it coming from the rear right side of the car. I was attentive on the road and was pretty sure that I didn't pass over anything. My first suspicion pointed to some issue with the tyres. I pulled over and checked. Couldn't find anything wrong with the tyres or wheels. On board vehicle status also didn't show any faults. With no further idea on what could be wrong, I decided to drive and look for any other issues while driving. But it was a smooth drive, no loss of balance, alignment, power or mileage. Rest of the journey was uneventful.

Part 2 - This occurred on the last leg of the same trip. I had reached Pune from Aurangabad and was on my way back to Bangalore from Pune yesterday. After a lunch stop at Chitradurga, I was again doing some good speeds for an hour or so, this time not in sports mode, before easing the pace. This time I hear a much louder, I am tempted to say explosive, sound. It was quite startling on an empty road where I am sure I didn't go over anything and no other vehicle was around. This time too I felt it coming from the rear right side. It felt like highly compressed air popping out or something big and soft hitting the car. Though I've no prior experience with a tyre burst while driving, I suspected a tyre burst to be my first guess. I was near the Guilalu toll gate and pulled over near the toll gates. I couldn't spot any issue with the tyres or wheels nor could I see any evidence of anything having hit the car. On board vehicle status also didn't show any faults. The car started and I decided to continue driving. I drove back the rest of way at a very sedate pace and reached without any further incident. The car handled well and there was no hint of anything wrong during the remaining drive.

I am not able to come up with anything based on my little knowledge or imagination about what could've caused these sounds. I don't even know if I can replicate it, and even if I could, it may still not be possible to simulate similar conditions. I had started my drive from Bangalore to Hyderabad and that drive didn't face any issue and neither did the drive from Aurangabad to Pune.

I did some research on google, with vague search strings I must admit. But couldn't figure out anything much. Some remote possibilities seem to be related to issues in exhaust system or related to injectors/ timing etc. but I don't know how to trouble shoot that line any further. I spoke with the service centre and they, for now, don't suspect anything wrong with the car and asked me to observe once more during the next drive but I would be a bit reluctant to do one without some understanding of potential candidate causes.

Look for your help in getting some understanding of this issue, ideas or possibilities or anything at all, before heading out with the car again or taking it to the service centre for an inspection.
Old 8th June 2020, 16:25   #921
BHPian

Last week, i started getting weird periodic sound. It was from wheel and at rotation frequency. But did not notice any objects stuck. My friend suspected it to bearings gone bad. I went for air check and found a bolt with round head stuck in front tyre.I removed it and got the puncture fixed. The periodic sound had disappeared much to my relief. The smooth bolt head was hitting the road and I was getting sound. The sound was more pronounced on hard concrete road.
Old 20th June 2020, 20:51   #922
Senior - BHPian

I need your help in figuring out whether the noise from the engine / clutch or gearbox of my car is normal or something I should get checked.

The car is Honda WRV Diesel and has done only 4.5k kms till now. The usual sound of diesel clatter is heard when accelerating and I guess that is normal.
When you leave the accelerator while slowing down, the sound subsides.

Once the car has warmed up fully after driving 10 or 15 kilometres and the car is coasting without any accelerator the clatter or whirring sound can be heard occasionally and it comes and goes with the car's motion. It seems when coasting if the car is completely free of resistance then there is no sound, however if the car encounters a small road undulation like a downward slope then the sound occurs again while the car is going down after the slope.

It sounds similar to the normal engine clatter however it varies with the load on the engine when coasting.

I hope it makes sense. It's tough to explain. The sound itself is like a continuous krr krr, something rotating and is proportional to engine speed but only when the engine is without accelerator and coasting.

The same sound is heard continuously when accelerating under normal conditions all the time.

If I press the clutch while coasting, the engine is relieved of the load and the sound disappears.

I thought it may be the clutch or release bearing but both of them seem fine. There is no noise with either the clutch pedal up or down in neutral. There is no issue in driving or any sort of engine issue. The clutch is fine and the engine is smooth and fuel efficiency is great.

To put it simply, there is this usual engine sound that comes when you are accelerating, this sound dies down when coasting but if a slight downward slope is encountered then the sound comes again for the time the car is being pushed by it's momentum. Something like when the wheels are driving the engine with the accelerator pedal not pressed.

Do let me know if you hear this sound and if this is normal diesel clatter or should I be concerned.

MODS: I am cross posting it here for wider audience. I had posted same in the WRV thread but got no response. You many delete the post in the WRV thread.

Last edited by Traveler : 20th June 2020 at 20:53.
Old 26th October 2020, 10:04   #923
Senior - BHPian

After a rear ending accident on my Honda City couple of days back, I am getting a distinct clanging metallic sound from the front right wheel area /left engine bay area. It seems to be coming from the left side suspension/tire area. It sound like a metal component fouling with the wheel whenever the car is in motion, causing a soft clanging metallic sound.

There was no direct impact in the front of the car during the accident. The car seems to be running fine otherwise. No warning indicators on the instrument panel.

Could experts help and tell me what it could be? Cannot make out anything on visual inspection, to my layman eyes.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 26th October 2020 at 10:05.
Old 27th October 2020, 09:58   #924
Senior - BHPian

Folks, there is a screeching noise (metal rubbing against metal) coming from the front suspension of my Hyundai Eon.

This noise emerges when:
1. Steering is moved left/right while on the move or stationary with engine running
2. There is lateral movement of the front suspension (over bad roads)

Noise is not present in following situations:
1. Steering is turned with engine off
2. Car is driven on a straight road without steering movement

Steering feel is unaffected. Noise is emerging from suspension/steering components near the front tyres and is loud enough to be heard inside the cabin. Front left suspension tie rod was replaced 1 month back to solve an alignment issue. Car is less than 3 years old, roughly 30k kms driven, and out of warranty.

Local mechanic says he will open up the steering column and lube everything. Is there a simpler fix for this problem?
Old 27th October 2020, 10:39   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Do let me know if you hear this sound and if this is normal diesel clatter or should I be concerned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Could experts help and tell me what it could be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Is there a simpler fix for this problem?
Can you guys please make a short video & post it here? Because there are plenty of things in a car’s front end which can make metallic sounds.

For the WR-V, the car I’m assuming is still under warranty, and if yes, take it Honda. Make them diagnose it & fix it.

For the City, the metallic noise after the rear collision may be because the vehicle was forced forward during the impact, causing some rubber component to abnormally stretch/crack. In fact, the best person to help you will be a competent mechanic who is well versed with suspension components. The ASC will just ask you to replace everything which may or may not fix your problem (not to mention, expensive!).

For the Eon, just like your FNG has diagnosed, I too suspect it to be a bad power steering rack. The other solution to it, is to replace it with a new rack ($$$). Just goes to show you the quality of the parts (lack of) which Hyundai is using in their cars. It’s unimaginable for something like the rack to go out after 3yrs/30,000kms (almost brand new!).

To give you some foresight into the problem (if it is indeed the rack, which is at fault), my Micra (at the 7 yr/100,000km mark) used to make a metallic noise (glug-glug) from the front end (with accompanied play in the steering wheel). Nissan wanted to replace the WHOLE front end costing over 50,000! I took it to my FNG, who diagnosed it to be the rack & both lower control arms with worn out rubber bushings. I replaced both the arms with OEM parts, but decided to service (lube) the rack. After 6 months, the rack started acting up again (as predicted by FNG), and I had no choice but to replace the steering rack. In the end, I chose a non OEM, made in Thailand, steering rack for almost 14,000. Nissan wanted more than 25,000 for the OEM rack.

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 27th October 2020 at 11:06.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 10:47   #926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
Im getting a sound from the alternator belt when the car has just been started or when its being driven at really low speeds. As the car speeds up the sound disappears. I had replaced the belt a few months ago and got it changed again last week but the sound is coming again.

Before going to the FnG who services and maintains the car I wanted some inputs from bhpians.
Sounds like you need the pulleys replaced, since you have already changed the belt. The serpentine belt drives multiple pulleys. You will need to identify the source of noise and change that pulley. A typical worn out pulley will be rotating in an offset manner (asymmetric)
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 15:36   #927
BHPian

Hey team,

I need help deciphering a sound here. I recently did a long drive from Pune to Kannur (in Kerala) non-stop. I was driving a 3rd gen Dzire and the drive was very pleasant. I was loaded to the brim as we were traveling for a 3 month vacation.

The road turns very bad as soon as I enter Kerala from the Mangalore side. There are some nasty potholes and I did hit couple of them. Wasn't worried much about them, but then I climbed a speed breaker, steep like a wall and it hit pretty bad. I could hear the thud so bad.

Today I noticed that when I accelerate, there was a crackling noise coming from the exhaust. At first I thought it to be an engine backfiring, but then its happening time and again. I am in mandatory 2 week quarantine ending Nov 14th so cannot take it out for a spin. Could it be an exhaust leak due to the thud or should I be expecting something else too?
Old 12th November 2020, 16:48   #928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerman View Post
Today I noticed that when I accelerate, there was a crackling noise coming from the exhaust. Could it be an exhaust leak due to the thud or should I be expecting something else too?
Sounds like a classic exhaust leak to me. Although because of the impact, I hope it’s something easy to fix rather than a hole in the exhaust piping. The professional way to check the leak would be with a smoke machine, but an amateur way would be to introduce smoke into the system with a cigarette, and then watch for the smoke to pour out, which will be the source of your leak. Good luck & hoping it’s a cheap fix for you! A video showing you how to check for leaks -
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 19:00   #929
BHPian

So, our engine(1.0 N/A, Triber) started to give a weird knocking sound every time we cold start it(lasts for about 3 minutes, slowly fades). The sound goes away once the engine becomes warm and is next heard only the next day when we start it in the morning again.

Strangely, the sound goes away if we press the clutch. So, the sound disappears when the engine is disconnected from the transmission when we press the clutch.

We gave the car to the A.S.S and they are clueless about it and couldn't find the source. They simply say that it is due to the cold start and asked me to take the car home. But I denied and told them to show me other cars if the sound comes there also during a cold start which is not the case here. Also, the advisor told me that they will take care if the car gives trouble later as it is in its warranty period (3.5 years from now). Lame excuses from them.

If someone can help, what might be the problem? The car has run 4800kms only and is 14 months old.

A video might help. Please ignore the tobacco leaves. In this video, initially the engine is started by pressing the clutch. When I release the clutch at 0.04 seconds, the knocking sound appears.

Thanks.
Old 3rd December 2020, 07:07   #930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagann13 View Post
Strangely, the sound goes away if we press the clutch. So, the sound disappears when the engine is disconnected from the transmission when we press the clutch.

In this video, initially the engine is started by pressing the clutch. When I release the clutch at 0.04 seconds, the knocking sound appears.
Sounds like a bad transmission input shaft bearing to me.

The car is still under warranty, take it back to them with your video evidence, put your foot down and make them fix it!

This is unacceptable for a brand new car.

A reference video to validate the similar noise you hear from your car -

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 3rd December 2020 at 07:12.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks