Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2010, 17:08   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
I guessed it's cause of some fault in the rear right wheel ball bearings. I got them changed, and the sound decreased for a while but again came back. So I'm again confused.
Considering that the sound was proportionate to the rotation speed of the tyre, I would have thought it was the bearing. How long ago did you change the bearing? Is there a chance that it might have gone kaput a bit too soon? of what make was the bearing? Have you checked if the sound comes even when you have turned off the engine and are rolling down a flyover or a slope?
Just thinking alout, if not bearing, could it be a part of the rear brake assembly touching and creating the buzz? Mostly i think the bearing has gone again - esp since your problem had reduced when you had changed the bearing. Even with the fresh bearing, had the sound decreased or had it vanished?
Old 12th February 2010, 17:42   #167
BHPian

Hey mate, thanks for the info. Please see my comments inline below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.cs1 View Post
How long ago did you change the bearing?

4 days back.

Is there a chance that it might have gone kaput a bit too soon? of what make was the bearing?

Can't recollect the make buddy, but had bought it from a trusted source. What I am suspecting is the workmanship as I'd gotten it done from an unknown mechanic as the regular guy was not there that day.

Have you checked if the sound comes even when you have turned off the engine and are rolling down a flyover or a slope?

That's a great idea, gonna try that ASAP, although with the engine on but shifted to neutral! OT, I won't recommend going down an incline with engine off, no power assist for brakes/steering.

Just thinking alout, if not bearing, could it be a part of the rear brake assembly touching and creating the buzz?

I very much doubt that, cause the sound starts only after a certain speed has been reached and increases proportionately. But please do correct me if my assumption is wrong!

Mostly i think the bearing has gone again - esp since your problem had reduced when you had changed the bearing. Even with the fresh bearing, had the sound decreased or had it vanished?

It'd vanished.
Old 14th February 2010, 20:10   #168
BHPian

A month or so before last year's monsoons, one front bearing of my Santro started emitting a noise. My mechanic suggested I replace it with an after-market bearing (Rupees 400) & replace that with an original one (Rupees 1800) after the monsoons. I did not get the logic (the OEM bearing had lasted 6 monsoons) but the thought of saving 1400 was irresistible.
To cut a long story short, the bearing started making a noise after a week, even before the monsoons arrived. I had to replace it with the original & that is doing fine till date.
Old 15th February 2010, 15:07   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
My mechanic suggested I replace it with an after-market bearing (Rupees 400) & replace that with an original one (Rupees 1800) after the monsoons.

To cut a long story short, the bearing started making a noise after a week, even before the monsoons arrived. I had to replace it with the original & that is doing fine till date.
Thanks for the info mate, and I think you have hit the spot! Even the bearing I'd procured were ~ Rs. 400. I thought they're of the right quality and never imagined that they were not up to the mark of the OE ones. I guess it's time to source the original ones and put them in.
Old 15th February 2010, 15:34   #170
BHPian

Quote:
I thought they're of the right quality and never imagined that they were not up to the mark of the OE ones. I guess it's time to source the original ones and put them in.
Yes, the quality of bearings is most important. and it has to be pressed in a lathe and fitted. If it is randomly hammered in and placed, it is bound to cause trouble. If you dont mind going to the company then fine. Else go for either fag or ngk bearings. Buy the parts from a distributor and get it fitted with a good mechanic. Check the price difference between TASS and outside and take a call.
cheers,
Harsha
PS: yes, i am glad you understood the risk of rolling down with your engine off. I was about to warn you against it but it slipped out of my mind.
Old 15th February 2010, 18:17   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Else go for either fag or ngk bearings. Buy the parts from a distributor and get it fitted with a good mechanic. Check the price difference between TASS and outside and take a call.
cheers,
Harsha
PS: yes, i am glad you understood the risk of rolling down with your engine off. I was about to warn you against it but it slipped out of my mind.
Hey Harsha, I ain't going to the Tata A.S.S. man! Don't trust them at all, it's a long story. Will get hold of the brand you've suggested and my trusted mechanic to do the job.

Quote:
The plot thickens!
Old 15th February 2010, 19:12   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Will get hold of the brand you've suggested and my trusted mechanic to do the job.

The plot thickens!
Yes, try and source the parts from the distributor itself to avoid duplicates. You will find details of the distributor either on the brands' websites or by calling the contact no. and connecting to the sales department. Make sure the fitting is done in a lathe.

Yes, as for the plot, it thickens - enjoy!
Old 24th February 2010, 11:22   #173

2007 Honda City - Rattling sound from near the dash - *HELP*

I have a 2007 Honda City and for the last few months I have been having this really annoying rattling sound that seems to come from the dash and near the windshield. It's obviously due to vibration but I don't know what is making this noise. If I place my hand on the top of the dashboard the noise goes away. Also it happens about 70% of the time and rest of the time the cabin is dead quiet.

I asked the dealership to check this and they couldn't nail down the problem. Also, as luck would have it, the sound never comes when I try to give a demo to the technician!

Has anybody had this problem before and can throw in some pointers. Is there a good technician in Bangalore that can possibily nail down this problem and fix it?

Thanks,
Anand
Old 24th February 2010, 20:55   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandm78 View Post
I have a 2007 Honda City and for the last few months I have been having this really annoying rattling sound that seems to come from the dash and near the windshield. It's obviously due to vibration but I don't know what is making this noise. If I place my hand on the top of the dashboard the noise goes away. Also it happens about 70% of the time and rest of the time the cabin is dead quiet.

I asked the dealership to check this and they couldn't nail down the problem. Also, as luck would have it, the sound never comes when I try to give a demo to the technician!

Has anybody had this problem before and can throw in some pointers. Is there a good technician in Bangalore that can possibily nail down this problem and fix it?

Thanks,
Anand
Touching which part of the dashboard makes the noise go away?Perhaps it is the center console which may be a tad loose.

Do you feel the noise only when you are
  • driving on bad roads or
  • on smooth roads
  • standstill with engine running?
Old 24th February 2010, 21:09   #175
BHPian

Did you go through this thread?

Mods
, I guess this should be moved to the thread "What's that sound ??".

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 24th February 2010 at 21:11.
Old 24th February 2010, 21:12   #176
BHPian

i too have similar problems with my honda city 2007 model.I have this problem when i am driving the car above the speeds of 60km/h or at rough roads.I feel that the problem is coming from the ac vents.However I have accepted this as a part of aging of the car as it has done almost 52k kms and it is still much quieter than my swift which is still about 14k kms old.
Old 1st March 2010, 16:25   #177
BHPian

My Palio 1.2 NV (done 65k) gave a sound, which I felt I decoded it to the one mentioned below (copy-pasted from the 1st post of this thread)

YEEEEeeeeeaaaaawwwppp
WHERE: Under the hood.
WHEN: Right after startup until you rev the throttle a couple of times and the rubber warms up.
WHAT: Belt squeal. A loose or glazed belt, bad tensioner or misaligned pulley.
URGENCY: Make an appointment, and don’t take a long trip. This won’t go away on its own--until just before the belt fails.
FIX: Check belt tension and pulley alignment; replace the belt.

This sound was heard
  • during cold start (7 AM) and sound went away within driving couple of kms.
  • on 2 occassions only. Never heard it after that.
Now urgency and fix indicate that the problem is serious. Can anyone help out here and let me know if I have decoded the sound correctly.

I will be making a long trip of around 800kms next week. Hence the question.

Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd March 2010, 19:20   #178
BHPian

Any help on my previous post?
Old 3rd March 2010, 20:04   #179
BHPian

1. A ssshhhh noise at 3.5 k+revs from 'behind' the accelerator. Isn't there when I rev in neutral.

2. Happened post installation of Triphase - not sure if the two are linked.

3. Its a very localized sound, dont think its due to the air filter working harder (have a K&N Conical + FFE)

4. It's also there when the tri-phase is off, but is less intrusive. Certainly wasn't there before I installed tri-phase.

5. When i feather throttle the accelerator, a slight tik-tik-tik sound is heard. more the revs, faster the 'tik-tik'

6. New spark plugs; headers look OK - no loss of power; engine oil topped up; belt tension is OK. coolant topped up.

What on earth could be the issue. The MASS guys were clueless.
Old 16th March 2010, 15:22   #180
Senior - BHPian

Thunk in rear right wheel

Hi,

5 days old Punto giving a squeakish kind thunk in rear right wheel when passing over a pothole( to put in more precise words, narrow trenches dug cutting across the road and then half filled in a shabby manner). Funny thing is that the sound is not there when the wheel passes over a speed-breaker.

Any pointers to the culprit?

Request early replies since will be going to dealership soon to get the sunfilm and mud flaps done and will take up this issue with them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks