Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 00:48   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Excessive external noise on highway at high speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader5000 View Post
Turanza I have used in my other car and quite like the comfy feel post installation. have no idea about the Michellin's ... What abt warranty issues in these ? and how better are they compared to Bridgestone's Turanza? plus should i go for the original size ?or a size bigger ?
If you are going for same size then warranty should not be and issue. Well, if you are asking about tyre warranty, then IIRC, they offer 1 year.

Also, Michelin's offer more comfort as compared to the Turanza's, but the latter is better on handling aspect. Also, the Turanza's sidewalls are hard as compared to the Michelin's, so that makes it better suited for rough patches.

Regarding upsize, I guess the stock is 175/70 - R13?. Then 185/70 - R13 would be just perfect!.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:48   #272
Senior - BHPian

Chevy Spark @ 46k Kms

My Chevy Spark LT (black) without OP (2008) has completed 46k kms and is heading towards 47k soon.

In March at the 40K kms service, the clutch assembly was changed. Since I didn't take the COPC when I bought the car, I had to pay for the change, and after that the clutch was smooth though the gears continue to be notchy.

Last month the car did a little swimming after the rains in Bangalore. Although there was no water damage to the engine and the car pulled through the water (1st gear & maintained RPM), over the last few weeks the clutch pedal has steadily become stiffer and has become louder, with a groaning kind of sound. Wanted to confirm that this is because of the cables getting rusty/stuck. There is no clutch slippage.

Also, the front suspension tends to shoot out if I go slightly fast over speed breakers or if there is a abrupt dip in the road surface. At full extension there is a loud BANG! sound, which I think is due to the struts (shock absorbers) being kaput, although there is no wallowing or bounciness normally associated with them being kaput. Around corners also the front seems to want to roll a bit more than the rear.

AC compressor makes a audible, engine rpm linked Rrrrrrrrrrrrr! sound. I checked with the AC off and just the fan and there is no sound. I've reported this during the last 4 services, but they haven't resolved it. I think it is the compressor bearing that has to be replaced, and have asked Chevy to check each time, but they haven't been able to fix it. They haven't replaced the bearing yet. AC works perfectly well, though.

I've also noticed that recently even in 1st (slightly over 0kmph), the engine knocks with the AC on. Now at the time the clutch is fully engaged, and I am providing sufficient - but not excess - acceleration. This was not the case earlier. Tuning/timing issue? Spark plugs change? Or engine decarbonisation?

Lastly, Gears are not as smooth as they used to be. As the engine warms up, it becomes progressively more difficult to slot in 2 & 3 till it is almost WagonR-like. Irritating, especially since the clutch change is supposed to have resolved this issue.

I get the car serviced every 5k and fluids (as required) changed at 10k. I had asked if the Gearbox oil needs to be changed in the last service (40K), and the SA said "whatever needs to be changed will be changed". After the service, though I found that it wasn't. Could that be a reason for the gearbox issue?

Looking for some input! Thanks in advance

PS. Chevy service in Bangalore (not sure elsewhere) is pretty bad. They are polite and nice, but they just can't figure things out on their own. I have to use my limited knowledge and that gained from TBHP to advise them on the solution, which when implemented generally works. Of late I suspect they've started cheating on the oil change as well cos the engine doesn't smooth out as it used to immediately after an oil change/service. Also, they didn't give me the old clutch assembly when they replaced it in the last service. Now with all the clutch/gear issues, I'm not sure they did.
Old 28th May 2011, 10:09   #273
Team-BHP Support

Re: What's that sound ??

Over the last 2 months, I've hardly used my car; but twice every 2 weeks, I take it for a 100m run.

I've noticed a strange "gnnnn" kinda sound coming when the steering is turned to a particular extent; the noise comes only at that point; during each rotation. I know it does come at low speeds, not sure if it does at high speeds to because the engine is louder.

My first guess was the mud that is splashed on to the tyres when it rains so I sprayed water thru' the wheels but the noise persists; although it's not there always.

Any other reason? The steering is just as normal otherwise.
Old 28th May 2011, 13:02   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
... I've noticed a strange "gnnnn" kinda sound coming when the steering is turned to a particular extent...
Are you sure its not the regular PS Pump sound?
Old 28th May 2011, 13:16   #275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Nope, it occurs only between a few degrees of the steering's turn; and surprisingly, only when it is turned to the right. Say, I turn about 60 deg from horizontal position towards right; I hear it then and then at the same point after 1 complete rotation.

It's definitely coming from outside; not a cabin noise.
Old 10th June 2011, 03:21   #276
BHPian

Hello,
I drive a 2002 Honda Accord 4dr and i am in Houston currently. I picked up this car a couple of months back and now the first issues have cropped up.

There is a rattling noise on starting the vehicle. Once the vehicle has started it disappears. The same noise comes up when i upshift and jus cruise at low rpms.
I feel that it might be the catalytic convertor as i can hear it right under where i am seated.

Another friend of mine also had the same opinion. Also there is no CHECK ENGINE light on the dash. No change of exhaust note and no drop in mileage. How many miles does the convertor usually last. Is it time for a replacement. Parts here in the US are expensive compared to India and the labor charges are killing. Me being a student, it becomes even more difficult.

Looking for valuable inputs from experts and others who have had a similar experience.

Regards,

Adi
Old 10th June 2011, 03:41   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
There is a rattling noise on starting the vehicle. Once the vehicle has started it disappears.
I believe its just a loose exhaust piping. On cold start/low rpms the vibration is more and hence the rattling. On a Sunday, get down the car and inspect for any loose joints holding the exhaust.

No need to worry.
Old 10th June 2011, 11:08   #278
BHPian

Quote:
I believe its just a loose exhaust piping. On cold start/low rpms the vibration is more and hence the rattling. On a Sunday, get down the car and inspect for any loose joints holding the exhaust.

No need to worry.
Hey dhanushs,

I hope its just a loose exhaust piping. Another thing which increases my doubts is that the idling rpm sometimes fluctuates between 400-800 rpm. The rattles are heard not only on cold starts but also on low rpm shifts.

Regards,

Adi
Old 12th June 2011, 01:56   #279
BHPian

An update on the issue.

The catalytic convertor was damaged and had to be replaced as it was broken inside. When i called up Honda they said it will cost me 910$ including the part and labour.

Then i went to a local muffler shop and asked them for a replacement. They said they do not have the exact fit and that the old convertor would have to be cut and removed and the new one has to be welded. And they were quoting 200$ including a 2 year warranty which sounded good to me. I asked them to go ahead.

The guys did a pretty neat job in just about an hour and the car was back to normal. Luckily there was no CEL after the install which was what i was expecting. Also changed the spark plugs and the engine oil after this. The car is super smooth now. Just loving the HONDA.

Adi
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:08   #280
Senior - BHPian

I have posted this on the Zen maintenance thread, but now have a noise problem.
My Zen had some issues all of sudden one day where the car started misfiring (vibrating quite badly) and started throwing out white smoke with petrol out of the exhaust

Went to MASS immediately who could not diagnose the issue and kept the car for a week checking different things to find the problem. The issue was finally traced to an injector wire shorting, resulting in that injector not getting the ECM signal and was continuously injecting fuel (??) !

But to diagnose this, they opened up my engine head (initially thought one of the engine valves were bent) and said my head gasket had bent and needed to be replaced. They also changed my alternator belt.

The issue i'm facing now is that there is kind of grinding sound thats coming from this belt at idle (Like the belt is rubbing against something). It goes away even on mild acceleration. My SA says its because they opened the engine and that the belt is new so it will take a few days to settle in ? I somehow don't believe this but decided to give it some time and see. Is this normal with a new belt ?

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 23rd June 2011 at 12:10.
Old 28th June 2011, 22:02   #281
BHPian

Car is a getz prime 2007 model and clocked around 23k kms. Started getting a 'thud' sound from the front left suspension whenever the vehicle went over an uneven surface. Promptly showed up at the service center and the intial diagnosis was that some nuts and bolts needed tightening . C'mon this is not a bullet. On the sound still persisting, they decided to do a full check up and it turned out that the stabilizer bar link assembly was worn out. They replaced both the front links. When asked why both, the expected response was that the front right link was also pretty worn out. Now the car is back to normal state.

cheers
Old 30th June 2011, 15:05   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I have posted this on the Zen maintenance thread, but now have a noise problem.
My Zen had some issues all of sudden one day where the car started misfiring (vibrating quite badly) and started throwing out white smoke with petrol out of the exhaust

Went to MASS immediately who could not diagnose the issue and kept the car for a week checking different things to find the problem. The issue was finally traced to an injector wire shorting, resulting in that injector not getting the ECM signal and was continuously injecting fuel (??) !

But to diagnose this, they opened up my engine head (initially thought one of the engine valves were bent) and said my head gasket had bent and needed to be replaced. They also changed my alternator belt.

The issue i'm facing now is that there is kind of grinding sound thats coming from this belt at idle (Like the belt is rubbing against something). It goes away even on mild acceleration. My SA says its because they opened the engine and that the belt is new so it will take a few days to settle in ? I somehow don't believe this but decided to give it some time and see. Is this normal with a new belt ?
Highly possible reason for this could be the alternator belt being over tightened. Try adjusting the tensioner.
The other reason could be the too tight belt would have damaged the bearings. Try checking this out.
Old 14th September 2011, 19:51   #283
BHPian

Im getting this irregular "krrrrrrrrr" "krrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" kind of a "loose rattling" kind sound.
Its like something is loose and making noise due to the engine vibrations.
Not like a regular constant noise like those of bearing/belt proptional to the rpm of the engine.
Its not constant, it just comes and goes as if driven by vibrations..and seems to be more audible from inside the cabin then from under the hood.
I thought it was some loose exhaust part, or loose license plate rattlling away etc.
I've checked all that.
Now I'm guesing its something to do with the clutch asembly etc but then the clutch feels and behaves perfectly.It comes irrespective of the clutch is engaged/disengaged.
Any pointers ?
Old 19th September 2011, 12:32   #284
BHPian

I have a 2005 Swift Petrol which has done around 30000 kms.It's been serviced around 5Ks ago.Over the last week,I've noticed a loud boomy whining noise coming from the engine bay region ( can also feel it through the gear shift) when the car's speed goes over 60 kmph.The sound increases in intensity as speed/revs increase and becomes unbearable at around 100 kmph.

I would be glad if someone diagnose this quite unnerving development - the petrol Swift sounds like a very badly maintained helicopter readying for takeoff !
Old 20th September 2011, 17:27   #285
Team-BHP Support

My bad for getting this checked so late but I finally did and here's what the problem was - the Power Steering pump was leaking and there wasn't any oil left in it at all. Hence, the steering was making an awful noise when turned.

Another surprise : there was a noise that came once the clutch was pressed; the SA thought the clutch bearings had given way. During service, once the PS pump leak was detected, the other vanished too. According to the SA, the PS noise was "transferring" to the clutch. [Saved me 15k on the clutch replacement!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Over the last 2 months, I've hardly used my car; but twice every 2 weeks, I take it for a 100m run.

I've noticed a strange "gnnnn" kinda sound coming when the steering is turned to a particular extent; the noise comes only at that point; during each rotation. I know it does come at low speeds, not sure if it does at high speeds to because the engine is louder.

My first guess was the mud that is splashed on to the tyres when it rains so I sprayed water thru' the wheels but the noise persists; although it's not there always.

Any other reason? The steering is just as normal otherwise.
Quote:

Most Viewed