Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2011, 09:12   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: What's that sound ??

^^ sun, what was the cost incurred in this repair? I just wanted to get an idea since a friend's car also might require this soon. Also please let me know the list of parts changed in your car.

Drive safe.
Old 1st February 2011, 09:39   #227
Senior - BHPian

Booster + TMC cost was Rs. 2800 from outside. MGA cost quoted was around Rs. 3500.
Labour was Rs. 607 additional.
So total was 2800 plus 607.
Old 1st February 2011, 20:10   #228
Senior - BHPian

^^ thanks for the quick response mate.
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:51   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
i found this article on the internet and added to my confusion - but still a nice read!
That is indeed a very informative article. And adds to my confusion too.

May be I'll leave this for more experienced members to sort out.
Old 4th February 2011, 14:41   #230
BHPian

Strange sound in Swift VXi

Hello Friends,

I've a 3.5 year old Swift VXi (~18k km). For last month or so, I have been observing peculiar noise coming from the front underside of the car whenever I accelerate. The sound is more like 'thuk thuk' as if some part of the underbody is loose. The sound is more prominent in lower gears and on occasions where I need to do frequent start-stop (i.e. heavy traffic). The sound comes only when I first decelerate and then accelerate and not on continuous acceleration.

I got it checked with Magic auto Delhi, the guy who came home scared me by telling that the axle could be loose. The workshop mechanic however said (after observing the car's belly) that nothing is loose. Furthermore, he said that this is a known issue with Swift. After sometime (typically 15K km), this kind of sound is observed and I should not be worried about this sound, just ignore it!

I'm confused, the sound is kind of scary!

Has anyone here encountered something similar? Should I got it checked with another workshop? I wanted to check with you guys before I go since me being not an auto expert, am wary of the workshop charging me for something which is a known issue and not a serious problem.

Your help will be most appreciated!

Thanks
Old 4th February 2011, 15:45   #231
Team-BHP Support

Re: Strange sound in Swift VXi

Do you think its a mechanical sound i.e. coming from a chasis part or something to do with the engine.

Since it is more prominent when you decelerate and then accelerate, are you sure it is not the engine knocking?
Old 4th February 2011, 17:00   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Do you think its a mechanical sound i.e. coming from a chasis part or something to do with the engine.

Since it is more prominent when you decelerate and then accelerate, are you sure it is not the engine knocking?
The sound 'sounds' mechanical. Almost as if something beneath the car is hitting some other part.

Sorry, but I am not too sure about engine knocking, so can't clarify on that. But the sound comes almost directly beneath the front left passenger seat and not from the engine side upfront...
Old 4th February 2011, 18:41   #233
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhushan08 View Post
Sorry, but I am not too sure about engine knocking, so can't clarify on that.
Engine knocking is a "mechanical" i.e. something hitting a part sound that you'd hear if the car is at a low speed for the corresponding gear and you accelerate. Eg. you are going at 20km/hr and in the 4th year and you suddenly start accelerating.

Since you say that you observe this sound mostly when you accelerate after having decelerated and that the car has been checked for any "loose" parts, I think it is the engine knocking that you hear.

Try this : Upshift only when the engine rpm is more than 2500 rpm. And try to maintain the gear-speed mentioned by the manufacture.

I think the noise should go.
Old 4th February 2011, 19:13   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Furthermore, he said that this is a known issue with Swift. After sometime (typically 15K km), this kind of sound is observed and I should not be worried about this sound, just ignore it!
I am not sure I can agree with that. My Swift is 40K and i dont hear that noise. As libranof1987 said it could just be that you are trying to accelerate at higher gear at low RPM's. 4th gear below 40 may give you that noise3rd gear below 20 may give that noise. First and Second gear should not give that noise(mostly you will stall in second gear if you try to get that noise)

The only sound we hear is the mild change in engine noise when engaging and disengaging the clutch in neutral.
Old 13th February 2011, 09:26   #235
BHPian

A New contribution to the sound check thread :-)

Yesterday morning while driving I observed something on my Honda City ZX (NHC) 2006 model run about 27 K Kms. Car is regularly serviced at Dakshin Honda at every 5000 Kms, runs on Synthetic oil, and at 25 K Km the brake pads were replaced.

Yesterday while I was driving my observation:
While car is coming to a complete halt after braking (just around that time) I hear a peculiar sound like a fluid shaking in a container.
Immediately I searched and removed all the water bottles and any fluid insider the cabin as well as the boot - even after that sound persists
I opened the engine bay and inspected the coolant reservoir etc - that seem to be fine and doesnt seem to make that sound
Myself thought about the fuel in the fuel tank could be a possibility. Currently it is run around 100 Km after full tank fuel (I mostly run with full tank - have seen the fuel empty light only twice so far - when fuel gets to half way mark I get it full again) - I fill Shell normal petrol and the pump is few kms away, so I combine fueling with any trips / shopping around that area as well. I couldnt verify that it is from fuel in the fuel tank

So on my way back I took the car to the Dakshin Honda. Since it was saturday my SA was busy, as I was waiting the Works Manager (SA's boss) personally came and did the test drive. He also agreed on the sound and pointed possibility on fuel in the fuel tank. Still he took the vehicle inside and asked a senior technician to inspect. Findings were - FUEL in the Fuel tank nd he said no need to worry on that.

I am going to keep a watch now and not going to fill the tank (will observe all the time until the fuel empty light comes up this time)

My questions:
Any one has observed this kind of sound in a Honda City or even any other car?
I am thinking - if it is fuel why I didnt spot that sound before all these days? My wife always complain on my searching for any sound while driving the car and call me paranoid :-) - so I couldnt have missed it and it couldnt have been there before.
Is the Honda guys correct with the diagnosis - any other possibility?
What you exterts advise?

thanks in advance

regards
narayanang76

Last edited by narayanang76 : 13th February 2011 at 09:28. Reason: spell checks
Old 13th February 2011, 13:13   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

IIRC, with its doors drain plugs clogged, my friends swift sounded similar.

Water in doors could be a possibility.
Old 13th February 2011, 20:41   #237
BHPian

Thanks Dhanushs: Door Drains checked and everything is fine. I also tested each doors to be precise. So that is ruled out.

I saw some other threads in TBHP where the fuel in the fuel tank particularly at 3/4 tank was making such noise. So probably the honda diagnosis seems right, but I am keeping a watch untill the tank is near empty and then see it with full tank again. Will keep this thread updated.

If any others faced the same issue and any recommendations please share.

narayanang76
Old 14th February 2011, 11:22   #238
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
i hear a kharkhar (drum beat) sound whenever the car idles - but, if i press the clutch - the sound goes off / or if i rev a bit the sound goes off and comes back again. the sound intensity (hope i am using the right word) increases with the headlights / high beam.
What I infer is that the sound comes (and is persistent) whenever the car is idling and while accelerating it comes and goes off, right?

I feel this has nothing to do with any of the clutch components but more so with the idle control valve. Can you check that?
Old 15th February 2011, 19:38   #239
Senior - BHPian

@ Jayant - i doubt if it is the ICV. it must be something else

here is what the FIAT Forum member (peter) replied:

Quote:
The sound is irritating, not alarming.
I changed my clutch about 3 years ago, hoping that the sound would disappear, and it did.....for one week, than it returned, I don't pay much attention on it anymore, it's just part of my car....

You can read in the article that play in the actuator shaft may cause this sound, I believe it's true, but because it is no sign of big problems to come, I just leave it as it is.
When the sound appears, I just pres the clutchpedal once or twice, and it disappears in most cases.
I have learned to live with it!

Btw, the article is written by Valeo, all FIAT clutches are Valeo, the replacement clutch in my car is Valeo as well....!
will keep you guys updated if i find any solution.

Source thread: Technical: Weird rattle while idling - The FIAT Forum

Last edited by planet_rocker : 15th February 2011 at 19:39.
Old 19th February 2011, 17:35   #240
BHPian

Folks,

I need your expert advise on the sound on my I20 which is about a month old and close to 500km on the odo.

There is this light 'luk luk luk' sound coming from the rear right wheel (or somewhere from that area), as though some metal object is hanging/rubbing against something. I checked the wheel and the base but found it fine.

Its not heard when you roll up the windows but can be clearly heard when the windows are down and when I listen carefully. Not sure if the sound is coming at higher speeds.

Any pointers please?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks