Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2012, 13:27   #316
Team-BHP Support

Re: What's that sound ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
@Jaggu: The SA did mention a specific part, but the name's slipped my mind. I'll check with them again and revert. I do seem to remember he quoted about 3K+ labor for the repair, which I refused in the absence of a firm diagnosis. I'll also get the doors and boot-lid alignment checked.

@Spike: I did do a cursory visual and tap-check on the under-body to check for loose parts, but everything seemed fine. I'll get a mechanic to do a detailed inspection.
A.S.S think the suspension strut on the right-rear is gone, and want me to replace it. Now this part was changed only 4k-odd kms ago, when I got the entire suspension overhauled at 54k kms. This makes me wonder reg. the quality of parts supplied by Hyundai A.S.S. Also, the SA claims that the earlier replacement was done without matching the part to the VIN number, resulting in both rear struts being of different type (although same tech specs). The right rear is an oil-filled one, while the original part was a gas-filled type. What compounded the error, is the Accent suspension strut is apparently available in 3 specifications, all of them being compatible with the car. I was furious at this, since I got everything done at an A.S.S. Now are we supposed to supervise the parts store to ensure they use the exact part as recommended? Shouldn't they be doing it by default?

I'm being quoted 3.5k (strut assembly) + 600 (strut head insulator) + 250 (labor). Should I go ahead? The noise is persistent, and now I can also hear a clicking noise from the right-rear even if I hit a small bump in the road.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th January 2012 at 13:34.
Old 19th January 2012, 10:22   #317
Team-BHP Support

I don't know if it is related but since the clutch and gear cable replacement in my Corsa, I hear a hissing sound each time I accelerate. The sound comes somewhere from the left, under the dashboard.

There is no difference in style of driving.

Any clues?
Old 19th January 2012, 12:55   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I don't know if it is related but since the clutch and gear cable replacement in my Corsa, I hear a hissing sound each time I accelerate. The sound comes somewhere from the left, under the dashboard.

There is no difference in style of driving.

Any clues?
Hissing noises are generally because of a vacuum leak. I definitely wouldn't rule out any kind of brake booster issues. You might want to check this since you have mentioned the hissing is prominent when you accelerate.

Try and see if you can get beneath the dash and locate the source and look for disconnected/cracked hoses.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 14:40   #319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
A.S.S think the suspension strut on the right-rear is gone, and want me to replace it........... .
Finally, the issue seems to be resolved, and it had nothing to do with the suspension.

I took the car to Blue Hyundai A.S.S. again yesterday, and asked them to replace the suspension strut (acc. to their diagnosis it was the culprit, though I wasn't sure). My doubts were proven when the noise persisted even with the new strut assembly. Moreover, the strut has only one movable part (the load-bearing fork driven by an oil/gas filled cylinder). When I asked them how they determine that the strut had lost its load bearing capacity or had another fault, nobody had a convincing answer. They then suggested I leave the car with them for a few days so they can investigate, which I refused. I offered to take an extensive test drive and also to replicate the noise so they can diagnose properly, which they didn't seem very enthusiastic to do. Things were hitting a stalemate when a guy walked upto me and asked what the issue was. Turns out he's one of the new service managers, Jimmy. He asked me if I would mind taking a test drive with him and another mechanic. I thought what the hell, another one won't hurt.

We went out, and I demonstrated the noise(s). Once back at A.S.S., he got the car taken to the body shop, and the mechanic who'd tagged along went to work. The rear seat was taken out, as was the panelling/cladding on the entire C-pillar on the right side. The seat-belt bracket was removed/refixed, followed by a bit of tinkering and refitting the seat.

After the refit, we took another test drive and the noise seemed absent. Just to be sure, we re-installed the old strut and took another test drive. Voila, no unwanted sounds

Jimmy explained later that the rear seat was probably not refitted properly when removed previously, and since the rear bench is hardly used in my car, I probably never noticed it. Also, the seat-belt bracket was mis-aligned and touching both the paneling and the c-pillar. He asked me to drive around for a few weeks and contact him for any issues, and he'll get the whole interior properly fixed up again, if needed.

Now the resolution itself was no rocket science, but what I liked about Jimmy and his team was their simplistic approach of starting with the smallest possible fault and working their way up, instead of experimenting with parts-replacement to see which one eliminates the noise, which the Blue H.A.S.S. guys have been doing for nearly a year for my issue.

If anyone here takes their Hyundai to Blue for service, I'd recommend approaching Jimmy. He might not be able to get everything fixed, but he at least takes the right approach. There are quite a few experienced hands at Blue, but what I find lacking is the drive to resolve issues. Jimmy spent half a day with my car, and all they earned was labor charges (no parts were replaced except a few consumables). That's the kind of customer-centric approach that earns loyal, long-term customers.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th January 2012 at 14:47.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 02:34   #320
BHPian

Squeaking noise on acceleration after gear change

I am noticing a squeaking noise (repetitive) after acceleration after a gear change especially if the change is jerky.

If I pull off the gas the sound disappears and on pushing the pedal is reappears. Once the car reaches optimum speed for gear + gas pedal, noise vanishes.

Any guesses for what the noise could be ? As usual Hyundai service center thinks there isnt any issue
Old 4th February 2012, 04:39   #321
BHPian

re: Squeaking noise on acceleration after gear change

Assuming that it's a santro and it has done more than 50,000 km, get the timing belt checked. A worn out timing belt can display these symptoms.
Old 4th February 2012, 06:37   #322
BHPian

re: Squeaking noise on acceleration after gear change

It could also be loosened engine mounting / worn out mounting bushes, which causes the engine to rock back and forth. If this is the case then the car moves in jerks till you maintain a steady speed in one gear.

Get the mounting checked and replace bushes if needed.

Last edited by autocrat : 4th February 2012 at 06:40. Reason: EDIT: Spelling mistake :)
Old 4th February 2012, 17:42   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Squeaking noise on acceleration after gear change

Where do you hear the noise from (I believe from the engine bay)? How old is the car? Whats the odo at?

And is the noise squeaking or 'squealing'?
Old 5th February 2012, 01:50   #324
BHPian

My brother had similar issue with his Alto. It was due to the timing belt.
Old 5th February 2012, 08:14   #325
Senior - BHPian

btb, what car is it and how much did it clock?
First Check your water pump, alternator drive belt for slackness before embarking on a change of the timing belt. If this is so, the sound would be audible while revving from idle.

Last edited by rajeev k : 5th February 2012 at 08:15.
Old 5th February 2012, 14:45   #326
BHPian

Its a Hyundai Santro, 60k on the odo. Sound seems to come from engine bay and even on idling I now observed.

From what I researched from the net after reading the replies here, seems like timing belt issue only. Anyone knows how much they cost for a Santro ? Do I need to get water pump and belt tensioner also replaced ? The SA has told me that they are usually replaced together.
Old 5th February 2012, 23:06   #327
Senior - BHPian

This is a simple DIY. Take a can of WD40. Start the car and idle it.

Spray on the AC and Waterpump/alternator belts.

If not its definitely inside the engine. Probably Timing Belts and pretensioner bearings.
Old 13th February 2012, 00:41   #328
BHPian

hello all,

i have an alto Lx August 2007 done 34000Kms.
Recently i have noticed a metallic noise from the back of the car (probably the back left). its like some iron rods are rubbing together or sliding.
Its mostly there when turning on either side, but sometimes its not there even on taking U turns. It is also mostly there even when im accelerating on a straight road. (but 80% of the time its when turning). I dont think its related to cold or hot engine.
any ideas on what it could be before i take it to a mechanic?
Old 13th February 2012, 07:59   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis
hello all,

i have an alto Lx August 2007 done 34000Kms.
Recently i have noticed a metallic noise from the back of the car (probably the back left). its like some iron rods are rubbing together or sliding.
Its mostly there when turning on either side, but sometimes its not there even on taking U turns. It is also mostly there even when im accelerating on a straight road. (but 80% of the time its when turning). I dont think its related to cold or hot engine.
any ideas on what it could be before i take it to a mechanic?
The rubber holding exhaust pipe / muffler may be worn out, or if the cars underchassis scraped hard on a speedbreaker, the exhaust pipe may be bent and may be rubbing the underchassis.

To confirm, just shake the exhaust pipe hard (when cold) and see if u get the same sound.
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 22:45   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
The rubber holding exhaust pipe / muffler may be worn out, or if the cars underchassis scraped hard on a speedbreaker, the exhaust pipe may be bent and may be rubbing the underchassis.

To confirm, just shake the exhaust pipe hard (when cold) and see if u get the same sound.
Thanks autocrat,

There was an incident recently when one night the front right tyre went into a hole and rear left tyre was in the air. Two kind people helped me push the tyre out and i was on my way. I checked the underbody the next day and there was no visible anomaly. The sound probably started after that incident though.

I tried shaking the exhaust pipe but it was firmly secured and there was no noise.

Now i have noticed that the sound is always there when i accelerate and its never there when cruising at constant speed in a straight line.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks