Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2012, 10:22   #331
BHPian

Re: What's that sound ??

Hi

I had given my Zen Estillo for regular service a couple of days back. The car has 4 new tubeless tyres on alloys - roughly run 5K. As part of the service I asked them to do a rotation (not balancing since it was hardly 5K since they were balanced). They did a X pattern rotation.

I drove the car back after service and it was all fine for about a day. But yesterday as I was driving back from office, i noticed a "Thuck Thuck" sound from the front left side. It varied with the speed. There was not much vibration though. I thought I might have a flat tyre and no, it was not. The sound was prominent when the windows were rolled up - possibly because of the wind noise not being present.

I checked the front left tyre for a flat spot today morning. None were found. Also checked if the bolts were tight. This tyre as per the rotation would have earlier been on the back right side and I never noticed any sounds. In fact there were no Thuck Thuck sounds when driving to office yesterday.

Thought I would take on some advice from fellow BHPians before doing anything more.

My quick thoughts are to do a balancing once again - Just may be plain (un)lucky that I might have hit a pot hole and the balancing rivet might have jumped off.
Old 23rd February 2012, 21:53   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
Hi

The car has 4 new tubeless tyres on alloys - roughly run 5K.

"Thuck Thuck" sound from the front left side. It varied with the speed. There was not much vibration though. The sound was prominent when the windows were rolled up - possibly because of the wind noise not being present.

I checked the front left tyre for a flat spot today morning. None were found. Also checked if the bolts were tight. This tyre as per the rotation would have earlier been on the back right side and I never noticed any sounds. In fact there were no Thuck Thuck sounds when driving to office yesterday.

Thought I would take on some advice from fellow BHPians before doing anything more.

My quick thoughts are to do a balancing once again - Just may be plain (un)lucky that I might have hit a pot hole and the balancing rivet might have jumped off.
Hi,

After reading your post, I am sure about the following:

1) The tyres are just 5k km old - there can't be any flat spots.
2) There may be no balancing issue - as no steering wobble is present (you need to take the car to 60kmph + to notice any wobble on steering.

I am almost certain that a large pebble / stone got lodged between the tread grooves on the tyres, and everytime it hits the tarmac, u get the "thuck" sound.

It would have eventually flown away

Its also possible that it was a glass piece / nail, which might still be lodged deeper in the tyre, and cause a puncture sometime later (not sure if there will be a puncture on tubeless tyre though as the sealant seals the hole). Please check the tyre carefully, or get it checked at a tyre care centre - just for peace of mind
Old 24th February 2012, 11:22   #333
BHPian

Did some diagnostics yesterday and kind of narrowed down to the issue.

I went to a local garage and went for a test drive. The mechanic acknowledged the sound, but said it doesn't seem like a balancing problem. He said that the car bounced a bit too much. Went back to the garage and checked the air pressure. It was a staggering 60 PSI !!!!!!

A senior mechanic then went on to inspect if there was any tyre or rim damage. None. So inter-changed the tyres after lowering to a sensible 28 PSI and went for a retest. The sound was lower, but still could make it out on high speeds. This ruled out any tyre issue.

Opened the bonnet (guess this should have been done earlier) and then saw that the strut bush on the left side was damaged. This may have been caused by the car running the over pressured tyres and straining the struts by taking the hit without the tyres taking on any dampening.

Haven't changed the bush yet since I also want the strut to be checked for weakness and it was already very late yesterday. Hope replacing the bush would be enough.

Now you may be wondering why I did not notice the bounce. I had bought the new tyres from a dealer who was very near to my house. He had filled nitrogen free of cost and the 2nd time the pressure was rechecked was on the day of service. They had a Bosch machine and he had set 30 PSI. I realized (and now the dealer ) that his equipment was faulty and was actually pumping up double the pressure. I attributed the bounce to the new set of tyres - but not exactly the pressure since I "saw" the reading as 30 PSI. I wonder how many other cars may be driving around Bangalore with double the PSI
Old 4th March 2012, 17:50   #334
Senior - BHPian

This is as explained by my brother who was driving the car.

Its a maruti baleno done around 60k. The cars runs on lpg.
He is driving normally and all of a sudden there is a "Phat" sound from the engine bay area on the right hand side. When the sound came, he said the car kinda slowed down, after that the car was running fine. He said he heard the same sound after about 300kms and felt the car slowed down the same way as earlier and it started running fine.

What could be the source for this sound? Any pointers on this.
Old 7th March 2012, 15:02   #335
BHPian

Gentlemen,
I have a strange sound coming from my Tata Indigo (MPFI-2005), 75000+ KM run car. I maintain my car well. For last three or four days I am getting a strange noise coming out when the car is sufficiently cold. The noise goes off when I twist the ignition key, even if I do not crank it up. The noise is rhythmic, possibly originating from three places in the car. It has a breathing like hissing sound, which has also got a whistling tone and a krrrr krrrr sound mixed with it. The hissing sound is possibly coming out from near the throttle, the whistling sound is coming from somewhere near the fuel pump and the krrr krrrr sound is coming from here:-
What's that sound?-untitled.jpg
These three sources of sound are all beeping at the same time, in a rhythmic manner, when the car is completely dead and the key is either at off position or is taken out completely. At the twist of the key the usual instrument lights glow in the dashboard and all three sounds stop. The car is behaving normally and the check engine light also goes off after starting the car. Out of these I could only positively locate the source of sound, in the place marked in the red circle in the above picture, as it is also vibrating with the krrrrr krrrrr type sound, as if something electrical is burning inside. I took my car to the TASC but the car got sufficiently warm and the sounds stopped. The personnel there identified that particular device as idle motor controller switch or something, opened and cleaned it with some cleaning spray and re-fitted it back. But again this problem has come up today. Do I need to leave my car with the TASC overnight for the problem to arise again? Any idea what may be the cause of it? The sound vanishes if the car is run for ten or fifteen minutes.
Any suggestion gentlemen? How can sounds come out simultaneously from two or three places at the same time, which goes of at the turn of the key and the car is cold? If it is an electrical fault, where should I ask the mechanics to check? Please help me to rectify the defect.
Regards,
Rahul
Old 8th March 2012, 16:30   #336
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I don't know if it is related but since the clutch and gear cable replacement in my Corsa, I hear a hissing sound each time I accelerate. The sound comes somewhere from the left, under the dashboard.

There is no difference in style of driving.

Any clues?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Hissing noises are generally because of a vacuum leak. I definitely wouldn't rule out any kind of brake booster issues. You might want to check this since you have mentioned the hissing is prominent when you accelerate.

Try and see if you can get beneath the dash and locate the source and look for disconnected/cracked hoses.
Last week, I turned on the a/c after a long time (it being pleasant in B'lore for so long) and there was a prominent noise coming from that area and there wasn't any cooling.

The mechanic at A.S.S. said there is a/c gas leak but hasn't been able to trace the leak yet. They plan to put some liquid along with the a/c gas and find it.

Also, I couldn't replicate the hissing sound I have been hearing to A.S.S.

Could it be the a/c gas itself that was leaking until now?
Old 10th March 2012, 10:27   #337
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
Hi

I had given my Zen Estillo for regular service a couple of days back. The car has 4 new tubeless tyres on alloys - roughly run 5K. As part of the service I asked them to do a rotation (not balancing since it was hardly 5K since they were balanced). They did a X pattern rotation.

I drove the car back after service and it was all fine for about a day. But yesterday as I was driving back from office, i noticed a "Thuck Thuck" sound from the front left side. It varied with the speed. There was not much vibration though. I thought I might have a flat tyre and no, it was not. The sound was prominent when the windows were rolled up - possibly because of the wind noise not being present.
Ditto here. I am also annoyed by the soft tak .. tak sounds coming from the left passenger side door. Initially I thought it could be due to loose window glass inside but that cannot be since it is not regular and doesn't come/increase when going over bad roads.

I can just hear it lightly when I am driving even on good roads.
Old 13th March 2012, 00:29   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
I have a strange sound coming from my Tata Indigo (MPFI-2005), 75000+ KM run car. I maintain my car well. For last three or four days I am getting a strange noise coming out when the car is sufficiently cold.
Gentlemen,
Today I got my car back from Tata authorised service, after four days. The problem was detected to a damaged or fused electric wire which is connected to a sensor in the throttle. And as a consequence of it the idle speed controller (that is what they said) in the throttle became faulty, causing such malfunction. Wiring was properly repaired and the throttle was changed. Now the car is running fine.
Regards,
Rahul
rahul4640 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 06:28   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks

Ditto here. I am also annoyed by the soft tak .. tak sounds coming from the left passenger side door. Initially I thought it could be due to loose window glass inside but that cannot be since it is not regular and doesn't come/increase when going over bad roads.

I can just hear it lightly when I am driving even on good roads.
This sounds like a malfunctioning relay. It could also be a loose connection.
Old 4th April 2012, 13:13   #340
BHPian

When I'm using my audio system on the F-AUX mode with my phone connected via steroe cable, I can hear an electric "click" whenever I sound the horn. Actually, the sound is more apparent when I release the horn. It sounds like those auto ignition spark generators for domestic LPG stoves... that go chit-chit-chit-chit before the flame comes on. In my case, its just a single "chit" or a "click"

I cant hear this sound when the audio mode is on USB / Disc / FM. I dont even need to connect my phone - just put it on AUX mode and I can hear electric "chit" sound on releasing the horn. What could be the issue?

HU is a JVC 526R (aftermarket purchase & installation) and horns are Roots Skoda type horn - installed at M.A.S.S. with proper wiring and cutouts/relays.
Old 4th April 2012, 14:22   #341
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys need your help, yesterday on my way to my class in my accent, some tik-tik noise ( like one we get from the indicators in the car ) started coming, it comes and go in same duration like say a second hand in the clock, it's there only when car is on the move, on red lights and when car is stationary noise disappears but comes back as soon as i start driving her.

What could be the issue here ?

Thanks
Sameer
Old 6th April 2012, 00:41   #342
BHPian

Hello guys,
just noticed that my Honda City ZX ~60k started making squeaky noise when going through a pothole (of course at low speed). Is this some bushing gone wrong or tie rod etc?
can i wait to get it done along with service which will happen within a couple weeks or should i get it done immediately?
Old 6th April 2012, 01:28   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
squeaky noise when going through a pothole (of course at low speed).
Squeaky noise = Springs/Bushes mostly.
Quote:
can i wait to get it done along with service which will happen within a couple weeks or should i get it done immediately?
Yes, it can wait a couple of weeks, unless you are planning to munch some serious miles.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 23:14   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Squeaky noise = Springs/Bushes mostly.

Yes, it can wait a couple of weeks, unless you are planning to munch some serious miles.
Thanks for advice dhanushs, I was observing today and i found that there was a squeky noise even when going on smooth road. Only audible when i am going slow. When at speed probably the engine/wind sound covers it up. Any idea what kind of spring/ bush etc it can be? I dont know anything about this.
how much would it cost, and should i replace some other part along with it?
Old 12th April 2012, 16:24   #345
Team-BHP Support

Been noticing a weird sound lately.

Say, I'm on the 1st gear, accelerate and take the foot off it. Due to lack of further acceleration, the car naturally slows down. While it does, I hear a distinct krr-krr-krr sound (something that you hear from a spring).

Any ideas?

Just in case it's relevant, I recently got the clutch assembly and clutch cable replaced.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks